PDA

View Full Version : X360's dependance on XboxLive. and PC/PS2 server advantag

Saner
Oct 18, 2006, 11:50 AM
there seems to be friction grinding between Xbox360 PSU servers and XboxLive itself.

If Live goes under maintenance, we can't play.

but PC and PS2 versions can still play as long as the PSU servers are not under maintenance.

but for Xbox360 PSU, if Live is under maintenance but the PSU servers themselves are not, then we're screwed until Xbox Live is back up.

and there seems to be no communication between Sega and Microsoft to warn ppl and stuff. yes they said Tuesday was going to be a maintenance but why should that affect PSU's servers?????

such dependance on something outside of PSU itself is kind of wacky and feels handicapped and more limited than the PC/PS2 servers.

gee this is starting to feel like a curfew. the streets are still there but something else gets in the way of the fun.

maybe PS2 is the way to go after all.

Lorsavasus
Oct 18, 2006, 11:52 AM
lmao, wait it out a bit at least.

Ecstasy
Oct 18, 2006, 11:53 AM
im a x360 fan but i don't like how PSUservers have to depend on XboxLive in order to play. thats why i went PC, i don't care for PS2 to and i still want to be able to use teamspeak, and ventrillo if i want.

Valkayree
Oct 18, 2006, 11:54 AM
The thing is, this is the first time I can remember that the Xbox Live servers have been down. They don't go down that often, we just so happened to get in the miscommunication crossfire. That happens when Microsoft hires business people to run their gaming division when actual gamers should be making the decisions. Corporations always think they know what we want, and most of the time they fail. If only they knew that all they had to do was talk to a gamer, or hire one, then perhaps they wouldn't have shut us out of the demo. I don't think it was on purpose, I really believe it was miscommunication, like the time when they didn't even make enough 360s to begin with and everyone had to wait. They can say all they want abotu part shortages, but it was to create hype, no doubt. Makes me wonder if they are trying to create hype for PSU?

BlueInfinity
Oct 18, 2006, 11:54 AM
don't worry saner i'll protect you * throws himself in front* c'mon I dare anyone to try !!

Mr_Confused
Oct 18, 2006, 11:55 AM
Yes well considering that Xbox Live goes under maintenance once a year for a whole day it doesnt make that big of a difference. I really can't imagine people throwing a fit over one day of their life that they can't play PSU.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mr_Confused on 2006-10-18 09:58 ]</font>

SephYuyX
Oct 18, 2006, 11:57 AM
Wont PSU act like FFXI when MS has maint? You can still play FFXI as long as youre logged in before Live goes down.

Akaimizu
Oct 18, 2006, 12:03 PM
Yep. People hear of one Maintenance release of Xbox Live, that just happened to coincidentally happen during a Beta period of a game, and they quickly blow things out of proportion. Like it's some political battle and they're just waiting for any little news that can drive some political point across.

Live servers don't just go down and up often. It's a rare case, like this special event to bring them down and up, for an update.

It's like saying, But Broadband players are dependant on Broadband! Even though the times in which they might be disconnected are rare.

Saner
Oct 18, 2006, 12:11 PM
that's understandable.

but still, I wonder if there is true confirmation ppl can even play with just Silver.

because the beta required GOLD subscription. soo....who knows.

the other thing is that for whatever reason if your X360 version is screwed, you can't switch your account to the PC or PS2, it's so isolated you have nothing to fall back on unless you're willing to start from scratch.

Lorsavasus
Oct 18, 2006, 12:13 PM
If anyone knows the answer to that, I'd love to hear it. What happens if our 360's die at any point. Our gamertag and such can be moved to an alternate system... correct?

Akaimizu
Oct 18, 2006, 12:13 PM
Well you do realize, if for some reason, your data is messed up, it doesn't matter what platform you're on. You can't switch platform to fix server data.

In general, client-side issues would be temporary, at best, and aren't going to be the culprit of a worst case scenario. And in general, from my experience of the PC version, the Offline stuff has been pretty much stable, from the getgo.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2006-10-18 10:15 ]</font>

Danger_Girl
Oct 18, 2006, 12:17 PM
On 2006-10-18 10:11, Saner wrote:
but still, I wonder if there is true confirmation ppl can even play with just Silver.

because the beta required GOLD subscription. soo....who knows.

"Gamer Tags are created when you set up your Xbox Live account. Both Silver and Gold Xbox Live accounts can purchase a GUARDIANS License."

Official source: http://www.phantasystaruniverse.com/support_faq.php#gettingstarted

Akaimizu
Yes, it can. Your Gamertag and stuff is simply stuff stored on a Hard drive or Memorycard and retrievable from Xbox-live as well. It's completely movable.

And yes, Sega said that the full will run on both Silver and Gold. The gold dependancy was strictly for the Beta.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2006-10-18 10:18 ]</font>

Yoiyami
The beta required Gold because you had to download it. It's as simple as that....

And the downtime on Xbox Live is to get the Guardian License and everything related to PSU ready. It's on the PSU official site and forum, so it looks like there's decent communication going on between MS and Sega.

So I'm not worried about it at all. The Live servers don't seem to go down without good reason, and even then it's not that often.

oronll
Oct 18, 2006, 12:20 PM
It happens once a year.. ill take voice chat standard and more secure network .. over keyboard and hack fest .. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: oronll on 2006-10-18 10:22 ]</font>

Magician
Oct 18, 2006, 12:26 PM
Its been confirmed that the full game can be played on a silver account and Xbox.com and Xbox Live are down two, maybe three days out of the year.

Stop...stressing.

StanleyPain
Oct 18, 2006, 12:27 PM
Not entirely true. The PSU servers for PS2 are still partially interconnected with the PlayOnline system which is part of their network. If Sony does a full PlayOnline downage, it will effect PSU.

But in any case when was the last time there was a 24 hour plus downage for XBL??

Also..don't forget...PSU is likely to be like PSO in that there are weekly outages for maintainence on all platforms.

So...there's always issues with any online game.

BioWarrior
Oct 18, 2006, 12:32 PM
On 2006-10-18 10:27, StanleyPain wrote:
Not entirely true. The PSU servers for PS2 are still partially interconnected with the PlayOnline system which is part of their network. If Sony does a full PlayOnline downage, it will effect PSU.

But in any case when was the last time there was a 24 hour plus downage for XBL??

Also..don't forget...PSU is likely to be like PSO in that there are weekly outages for maintainence on all platforms.

So...there's always issues with any online game.

Sony isn't even the one who runs PlayOnline, its Square enix. Theres no way it would effect PSU.

Oreic
Oct 18, 2006, 12:35 PM
Saner Im sorry you dont have a life but they only do it once a year and Id rather have it than use something that is in need of a tune-up.

Shigecki
Oct 18, 2006, 12:36 PM
On 2006-10-18 09:52, Lorsavasus wrote:
lmao, wait it out a bit at least.

My thought exactly. This is/was just a demo after all. They didn't have to let us play. It's not a given right to play a demo of PSU. All the playing is for not. It's just masterbation at this point. Self gratifying fun. All our characters will be whiped anyway. So what's all the fuss.

I've been on live from day one (in '03), and this is the first time I remember not being able to connect to live.

On 2006-10-18 09:50, Saner wrote:
gee this is starting to feel like a curfew. the streets are still there but something else gets in the way of the fun.

Damn this job/school, can't play when working. Others that don't have a job/school can play. I think unemployment/dropping out is the way to go with this. Curfew is on for me. Working/school sucks. Need to play game.

Come on. There are plenty of obsticle in the way of playing a game. The maintinence was to improve live so more people can connect to their servers without all the lag. It's a good thing. I don't think they planned anything to keep you away from PSU. Just happened this way. No friction at all.

If you want to play on the PS2/PC servers, go ahead. I know XBox is in charge of this server, and if any problems come up I know who to contact. I tried doing the same thing with Sega, went through so many hoops to finally be told there is nothing they can do for the problem I had.

Sev
Oct 18, 2006, 12:45 PM
On 2006-10-18 10:20, oronll wrote:
It happens once a year.. ill take voice chat standard and more secure network .. over keyboard and hack fest .. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Yes... Because the PC version is such a hackfest right now...

Can we not make statements that aren't even true? It really doesn't help anyone when untrue statements about a game that you may or may have not played are made.

Lorsavasus
Oct 18, 2006, 01:10 PM
On 2006-10-18 10:36, Shigecki wrote:
Damn this job/school, can't play when working. Others that don't have a job/school can play.

qft! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Though, have we gotten any verification that this is on Live's servers, or perhaps we're just being routed by Microsoft's servers to Sega's, so that they can keep the whole unified "Live Experience" together, if not by name alone.

I'm also curious how the U.S. Sega servers for the ps2/pc will fare on day one... what, without a beta test and all. (I don't think the "press only" one really counts)

ABDUR101
Oct 18, 2006, 02:06 PM
You people sure are abunch of damn whiners, and you lack common sense to boot. Of course you'd be unable to play PSU through LIVE, because the PSU servers for the 360 require your gamertag to login and collect character data. If you aren't connected to the LIVE network, you aren't pushed through to the PSU servers. LIVE is the standard network backend for all LIVE enabled games. If you can't handle that, really, go play the damn PS2 version, or go get the PC version.

No one but yourself really cares what version you play.

FrogKicker
Oct 18, 2006, 02:09 PM
Are you people mad? Let Saner think ps2 is the better choice...

*continues his campaign to lessen the 360 servers load for lagfree playability*

Carlo210
Oct 18, 2006, 02:09 PM
In reply to the topic as a whole: Um... yeah... cause Xbox Live goes under maintenance soOoO often... ~_~

Tzaikun
Oct 18, 2006, 02:12 PM
That's what I'm afraid of. But I usually don't play for more than a few hours a day anyways.

phunk
Oct 18, 2006, 02:14 PM
Here we go again.

Yoiyami
Oct 18, 2006, 02:18 PM
On 2006-10-18 12:14, phunk wrote:
Here we go again.

*nodnod*
-___-;

A2K
Oct 18, 2006, 02:33 PM
Technically speaking, the PC and PS2 server's equivalent to "Xbox Live" would be "PlaySega.com". If that goes down for maintenance you can expect them game to go down as well. For the Japanese PC and PS2 servers, it's SEGA link.

sulfate
Oct 18, 2006, 02:47 PM
saner saner saner....its a psudeoscience