PDA

View Full Version : Was skipping the beta a good idea?

TheTokes
Oct 18, 2006, 02:34 PM
I decided not to download the 360 beta, because I thought it would take away from the retail version if I knew what was comming up ahead of time.
That and the fact that I dont want to put tons of work in to a character that will be deleted in a week.

But now reading some of the threads...I think i have ruined it for myself.

For the people that have played it, do you think that this will take away from the retail version because you have already spent hours doing stuff that you will have to do again?
Or do you think you will burn out and just get tired of PSU?

AlphaMinotaux
Oct 18, 2006, 02:37 PM
you missed out sadly. remaking a character or starting over only gets boring about the 6th time around http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

FrogKicker
Oct 18, 2006, 02:38 PM
It was worth it to mess around on Sat an Sun, for me anyways. I quit playing it Sunday night though. With my char being deleted and all, it seemed like anything else would be a wasted effort. But it is worth playing to learn the controls and get a feel for the instances and the city layouts.

Dhylec
Oct 18, 2006, 02:38 PM
Don't worry too much if you didn't play beta, any beta. Those who played it have a heads-up of what's coming. Since the data do not carry over, once the game is released, everyone starts out again as newbies. Just some are a little more familiar with the game than you. ;]

Akaimizu
Oct 18, 2006, 02:39 PM
Not at all. I agree with the poster that it takes quite a few times of creating new characters, to get sick of it. It had some issues, but it wont spoil any of story mode for you, and there's too much you wont see, in the beta.

It does help you get started faster, when the final one comes, though. I guess I've felt that way since I've played the JPN PC version offline, for a time, before the beta came out. So I was running directly to places, initially, to quickly get off and running with my character.

It does teach you about a few interface things, but with such a short time window, you aren't going to accomplish much.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2006-10-18 12:43 ]</font>

Mag_Launcher
Oct 18, 2006, 02:50 PM
ProfessorZ, being his supportive self as always. *cough*

Ryogen
Oct 18, 2006, 02:51 PM
I don't care what you think man. You might have made a bad mastake in my opinion. Bing that you neglected somthing you are interested in, you will lose a feeling and yearing about it later on.

Akaimizu
Oct 18, 2006, 02:51 PM
Heh. I was thinking the laugh was more like a reaction to someone introducing the concept of "Enough PSU that you get bored of it."

Tzaikun
Oct 18, 2006, 03:08 PM
I've beta'd other games before, so knowing beforehand that I won't be keeping my character, I play it casually. I don't think it will take away from the retail version, because there will be quests and more missions available, more rares and items, and other stuff I don't know since I'm new to the PS universe.

Weak
Oct 18, 2006, 03:14 PM
Refusing to play a demo or a beta is just fine.

You're not missing out, you're just waiting for a final product.

TheTokes
Oct 18, 2006, 03:14 PM
ahh...I knew it. I should have jumped on the beta when I had the chance!

Ryogen
Oct 18, 2006, 03:22 PM
On 2006-10-18 13:14, TheTokes wrote:
ahh...I knew it. I should have jumped on the beta when I had the chance!

It's your lost, but don't worry man. You got about 1 painful week to wait then you can play with us.

Razorback
Oct 18, 2006, 03:28 PM
well i thought the beta was great, now i get a head start on people who didnt play cause i know which weapons, jobs, and race i want. Plus i know which weapons i like/hate and i got a general idea how to play, how to get around, and how to do stuff. So you messed out too bad

DreamLocke
Oct 18, 2006, 03:39 PM
The beta is like when your parents would let you open one small present on Christmas eve before the big day. You still couldn't sleep that night. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/tree.gif

FenixStryk
Oct 18, 2006, 04:11 PM
You missed out big time, but it's not the end of the world. Live and learn, I suppose.

princejake2
Oct 18, 2006, 04:20 PM
I mostly used it to get the feel of the three different classes and the different races to see what I liked so I didn't have to waste time deciding on retail. I mostly used it for learning purposes.

Weak
Oct 18, 2006, 04:22 PM
I still believe playing a new character on the full version for the first time is the most rewarding experience. That's just me, though.

Anyway, he's still not missing out on anything. It's not like the game isn't coming out in a week.

princejake2
Oct 18, 2006, 04:26 PM
Yeah, he isn't missing out on anything special. It isn't like they are giving us some awesome gift or something for playing it.

SpishackCola
Oct 18, 2006, 04:27 PM
You don't really miss anything in a beta other than getting gameplay experience. Now, if companies gave out uber items, weapons, armor or whatever, then yeah you'd want to get in the beta.

Openget
Oct 18, 2006, 04:41 PM
...no

Its only a beta, bud

Shigecki
Oct 18, 2006, 04:46 PM
Skipping the beta was neither good or bad. I used the beta to decide if I was going to get the game. If you already know you're going to get it, then no loss what so ever.

It plays like PSO, so if you played that then you know the feel. Better graphics and new enemies is about it. Only like three or four different areas were even open to play. In a week you won't care.

DreamLocke
Oct 18, 2006, 04:55 PM
You don't really miss anything in a beta other than getting gameplay experience. Now, if companies gave out uber items, weapons, armor or whatever, then yeah you'd want to get in the beta.

Good point there. It doesn't roll over your account so there's no exclusive beta items, or any designation that you were a beta tester at all.

The only thing you'd miss out on is a head start in knowing your way around and how the game works overall. You can catch up in no time.

Tystys
Oct 18, 2006, 05:28 PM
Nah, it was alright if you missed it. The beta was really glitchy, but over all it was still fun. Don't worry, the release date isn't very far.

Numnuttz
Oct 18, 2006, 05:31 PM
lol all you see in the beta most of the time are people dancing in the lobbies. i think its fine that you missed that. plus you dont have to deal with the people who played the demo just cause they could and were not really interested in the game. in the end those were the ones that did nothing but dance in the lobby all day.

Flunky
Oct 18, 2006, 05:31 PM
Missing the beta is both good and bad, really. I kinda ended up shirking a class on monday because I wanted to try out the SUVs and thus crunched a littleto gather the level and cash... so for me at least, playing the beta made it feel a bit like a race to try out certain things. I'm usually more casual too, so it surprised me.

On a less personal note, though, it still has its ups and downs. I've played a couple of the missions to death, so while I know them I don't find them as interesting as I once did. Considering that the servers and such weren't optimal, I feel it's probably better to have your first experience be 'untainted' with it still being a work in progress.

On the other hand, playing the beta let me burn a lot of money on a bunch of different things to try them out. Since I didn't care so much about saving money or materials (as it would all get deleted), I ended up trying out just about every skill and a good number of spells too. Having had a chance to experience them, I have a better idea of what sort of weaponry I want to focus on (in the basic classes, at least).

So playing the beta slightly marrs the first experience with the game and (for me, at least) wore out one or two of the missions, but I also learned a whole bunch. When it comes time for the real deal, I won't end up wasting a lot of cash on some weapon or skill that I just don't like- some weapons I thought I'd like I ended up not so fond of, and others I was hesitant to try I ended up having a ball with.

Oh, and at level 20-21 at least, SUVs are pretty darned fun.

Undubbed
Oct 18, 2006, 06:38 PM
After playin PSU beta for the first time I was seriously contemplating to cancel my pre-order, but thankfully me being a gamer of about 12 or so years I knew that the only thing that kept from enjoying it was my ignorance of the mechanics and where things were.

On my second playthrough I got a turn around and figured almost everything out. I think I played for about 4 hours straight I was havin' so much fun with it. WAAAAAY more than PSO, which I wasn't exactly exited about at the time that I played it. That game never clicked with me although it was still sort of good.

Can't wait til PSU is coming out!

BUT...I don't think I'll be playing the online portion for at least 2 months. Cause to be quite frank, I'm way more exited for Final Fantasy XII than PSU so I want to play and beat that game before I start playing something that'll probably add up to 1000 hours in the end. Plus I want to play and beat the the Single Player mode before I even touch online. Then I could dedicate the rest of coming months to this game...with maybe the occasional games like Sonic the Hedgehog and Assasin's Creed. Oh and I just can't forget abou the Wii.

DAMN! TOO MANY GOOD GAMES THIS FAAAAALL!!!!!

Abaru-FP
Oct 18, 2006, 07:27 PM
Flunky pretty much took the words right out of my mouth.
I do have one thing to add though; I think everyone's first few seconds of PSU will be anti-climactic, so spending them on the beta is not a waste at all.

I'd been waiting for this game so long I expected to be completely blown away the moment I logged on. I had a million things I wanted to do, but because I didn't know where to go or how to do anything I spent the long anticipated first ten minutes wandering circles around the first floor of the city. I was a little underwhelmed at first, but once I backtracked and took the tutorial, and learned the basics of the menus, I felt right at home. Since then, I've loved the game more and more with every minute I spend on it.

The only difference between my first minutes on the retail version and yours will be that I'll be spending them teaching, and you'll spend them learning. You didn't miss out, just delayed your first PSU experience a little longer.