PDA

View Full Version : Death system?

DuaneAllman
Oct 18, 2006, 03:49 PM
Hi.

I'm a former GC PSO vet, so I wouldn't consider myself a nooblet, but...

I haven't heard anything about the death system in PSU. What happens when you die? Does the screen still turn red and a little spirit ball floats above you? Are there moon atomizers?

kthxbai.

:3

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DuaneAllman on 2006-10-18 13:54 ]</font>

Silver_Wyrm
Oct 18, 2006, 03:53 PM
moreover, what do you lose from death? *hopes its not exp*

-Crokar-
Oct 18, 2006, 03:53 PM
yes red screen no ball there are moon atomizers

DarkShadowX
Oct 18, 2006, 03:54 PM
Death affects your Mission ranking, thats it as far as I know.

AlMcFly
Oct 18, 2006, 03:54 PM
Well, in the regular game you die and have to reload last save data. I'm very interested to hear what they've implemented for online play too.

FenixStryk
Oct 18, 2006, 03:57 PM
From what I've noticed, it's just a loss of rank in the Mission End Result. I've not noticed any loss of EXP or meseta, and I've died a few times when I was a low level.

Diablohead
Oct 18, 2006, 04:04 PM
Death in a quest gives you less of a reward at the end, thus leveling your job much slower in the long run.

Parn
Oct 18, 2006, 04:06 PM
No deaths yields S rank and max bounty.

1 death yields A rank, giving you a fair bit less meseta and job XP than S rank.

2 deaths yields B rank, giving you a lot less meseta and job XP than S rank.

3 deaths or more yields C rank, giving you no reward for the mission.

Note that any teammate deaths count toward this ranking, not just your own. Also note that scape doll revivals don't count as a death.

LordHakutsuru
Oct 18, 2006, 04:06 PM
I'm pretty sure you lose a % of the meseta you have on your character, then you get warped back into town if no one is around to raise you, then you go get back that % of meseta you lost in the field.

DuaneAllman
Oct 18, 2006, 04:09 PM
Thanks, guys.

I suppose Parn really is sexy.

February
Oct 18, 2006, 04:11 PM
Hi Anonymous

Parn
Oct 18, 2006, 04:12 PM
On 2006-10-18 14:09, DuaneAllman wrote:
I suppose Parn really is sexy.
Definitely! Here, have an autograph!

http://synbios.net/images/misc/autograph.jpg

HUnewearl_Meira
Oct 18, 2006, 04:27 PM
It's essentially the same as PSO, except no items are dropped, but as has been stated, a death by any member of your party will lower your mission ranking, which means you get less meseta from it (not a significant source of meseta, anyway) and fewer (if any) mission points, which is where it really hurts; it takes a long time to gain a level in your profession. NPCs on the other hand, if they die, they'll just get back up after a minute or so, so we'll have no more Mome Fiascos.

watashiwa
Oct 18, 2006, 04:30 PM
On 2006-10-18 14:27, HUnewearl_Meira wrote:
NPCs on the other hand, if they die, they'll just get back up after a minute or so, so we'll have no more Mome Fiascos.

Bringing an NPC to an online mission where they die also affects your mission ranking. (Funny how it doesn't offline, though. ToT)

Sev
Oct 18, 2006, 05:30 PM
On 2006-10-18 14:30, watashiwa wrote:

NPCs on the other hand, if they die, they'll just get back up after a minute or so, so we'll have no more Mome Fiascos.

Bringing an NPC to an online mission where they die also affects your mission ranking. (Funny how it doesn't offline, though. ToT)

Think they'll change that at some point to not affect your mission rank? I mean... Even ST knows that there NPC's love dying.

Numnuttz
Oct 18, 2006, 05:35 PM
i dont think NPC count as deaths. if i remeber right there was a discussion about this long ago before us beta was out. or maybe it was pm machine. not sure really but i dont think tehy do.

watashiwa
Oct 18, 2006, 06:10 PM
On 2006-10-18 15:35, Numnuttz wrote:
i dont think NPC count as deaths.

Yes, they do. On a couple of occasions where I brought my Hyuga NPC in the JP version, he was the victim of a monster while he was at low health.. We killed everything in the mission and his death counted as a normal one. Just like any other party member. Got me A rank.

SpishackCola
Oct 18, 2006, 06:35 PM
ouch watashi

Kaizah
Oct 19, 2006, 12:19 PM
Parn reminds me of Johnny Cage XD

Bast
Oct 19, 2006, 12:26 PM
Does anyone remember back in the old PSO DC days (before the pk'ing) where people waited for other people to get killed by a monster just to swoop in to pick up their weapon?

Then right after the person picked it up “so it wouldn’t get lost” they “dc’ed?”

Ullias
Oct 19, 2006, 02:58 PM
or they would just deny that they picked it up lol.

Draugar
Oct 19, 2006, 03:02 PM
On 2006-10-19 12:58, Ullias wrote:
or they would just deny that they picked it up lol.

That's a point! That guy still has my Heaven punisher!

*Grumble*

Kyuu
Oct 19, 2006, 03:02 PM
On 2006-10-19 10:26, Bast wrote:

Does anyone remember back in the old PSO DC days (before the pk'ing) where people waited for other people to get killed by a monster just to swoop in to pick up their weapon?

Then right after the person picked it up “so it wouldn’t get lost” they “dc’ed?”
Yep, those were the good ol' days... when I was so mad that someone stole my very first double saber that way. Except they didn't cover it up. Just took it and left the game. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_argh.gif

Itsuki
Oct 19, 2006, 07:19 PM
It's essentially the same as PSO, except no items are dropped, but as has been stated, a death by any member of your party will lower your mission ranking, which means you get less meseta from it (not a significant source of meseta, anyway) and fewer (if any) mission points, which is where it really hurts; it takes a long time to gain a level in your profession. NPCs on the other hand, if they die, they'll just get back up after a minute or so, so we'll have no more Mome Fiascos.

In a party of 4+, that end reward is probably 2/3rds of the total meseta you recieve in the mission. Thats including drops. An average monster will drop like what? 150 meseta in A? And that end reward is 2000+ meseta. As the rank gets higher, you tend to get more from the mission drops then from the reward, but in C rank and B rank especially, you're going to be relying on that reward.

We'll basically put it like this:
0 death -> 100% total gains for the mission
1 death -> 70% total gains
2 death -> 50% total gains
3 death -> 30% total gains

If even one person dies, its a pretty huge chunk of your money gone. If 3+ people die, you're likely going to lose more money based on the supplies you used then you are going to gain in the mission; Only in s is that effective.

To add a bit, in s-rank an s-area, you have a chance of getting a PA fragment. Nobody knows what these are used for, but its assumed this will be how you get extra skills / techs / bullets.