PDA

View Full Version : PC: Importers who use controllers.

Weak
Oct 18, 2006, 06:39 PM
Okay, so, to put it simply..

My gamepad is almost a duplicate of the PS2 controller. Does the configuration allow the right analog to control the menu, or what?

Not only that, but do any of you play with settings that mimic the PS2's or 360's?

If so, how does that work?

Just to confirm, yes, I have seen the translated configuration menu on the site, but it's not completely clear as to how it works in the game itself.

Rizen
Oct 18, 2006, 06:41 PM
*wants to say more than just yes but sighs* Yes.

Weak
Oct 18, 2006, 06:55 PM
I.. guess that helps.

Lovejuice
Oct 18, 2006, 06:57 PM
Well, I'm using a 360 Controller, and my setup is slightly different to the actual configuration on the 360 version itself. The only 'big' changes I use being the switching of strafe to Triggers and swapped buttons for attacking, Photon Arts, pick-up, and quick select/cancel:

A = Attack
B = Photon Art
Y = Pick stuff up/Make selection
X = Quick select weapon menu/Cancel
Left Trigger = Lock-on Camera + Reposition Camera/Hold to strafe/Scroll left
Right Trigger = Alt. hand weapon/Scroll right
Left Stick = Move
Right Stick = Camera control/Push in for FPS mode
D-Pad = Menu navigation
Left Button = Additional scroll left/'Z' (for chat log, and collecting simple mail + mission rewards)
Right Button = Additional scroll right
Little 'Back' button to left of the big green gooey X = Menu/'Start'

I find it superly comfortable and will probably never switch from this. Configured using XBCD and the games own config. I got all weirded out on the 360 Beta having to actually use the Left Button to strafe over the Left Trigger and using X and Y for attacking/PA, heh.

I guess if I were to use this setup on a PS2 controller, it would equal to using X for attack, O for Photon Arts, Triangle for picking stuff up and selections, and Square for quick select and cancelling. Strafe would be on L2, and alternate weapon on R2. Following my 360 config, I guess that would make Select open the menu, although after fiddling on a PS2 controller just now, I would change that to Start for comfort.

I'd keep the D-Pad for menus and just use the left stick to move, and right stick for camera (pushing in for FPS mode) - which I think is default for the PS2 version anyway.

EDIT: Hah, just realised, I kinda skipped around your question about the right stick and menus. Yes, it will be possible if you have a program that can configure each axis of the stick to be a numbered 'button' (like XBCD drivers can for the 360 controller). In the PSU config you can then specify which of these 'buttons' to use for menu up, down, left and right (it seems to be missing on the PSOW translation picture). I would advise keeping a stick for the camera, though. What with PSU's whole free 360 degree camera movement - and the PC config will only allow you to specify gamepad stick axes such as X-, X, Y-, Y and so on for camera up/down and left/right, rather than actual 'button numbers' you will have configured in your configuration tool.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Lovejuice on 2006-10-18 17:19 ]</font>

Rizen
Oct 18, 2006, 06:57 PM
Wha...? You said just confirm it? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif
I use a PS2 controller with the USB adaptor. I use my on configuration of buttons to suit my playing style.