PDA

View Full Version : Melee Causing Status effects?

Dracheseele
Oct 18, 2006, 08:14 PM
While playing the 360 demo, I had made a Light element dagger. Every so often I noticed it would put monsters asleep through both normal hits and photon arts. Search function turned up nothing so I thought i'd ask if anyone else had similar occurances.

Rizen
Oct 18, 2006, 08:18 PM
I thought that melee attacks dont do Status effects? Were you in a party with a Ranger or Force using Earth attacks (I think thats what puts enemies to 'sleep')?

Scrub
Oct 18, 2006, 08:21 PM
Rangers, at least in the Beta, do not have any Sleep-Inducing bullets. Earth element silences, Ice element freezes, Fire element burns, Lightning element shocks.

Kent
Oct 18, 2006, 08:22 PM
You can't sleep enemies, that I know of. Earth is Silence, and Light is Confusion, and I don't believe melee elemental attacks will inflict status effects...

Dracheseele
Oct 18, 2006, 08:22 PM
I've seen it come up both solo and in parties, the monster would just sit there doing nothing while it was active and it would wear off whenever the monster was hit again. I looked the status effect icon up on psupedia and that said it was sleep. Icon looks like a light pink circle with a dot in the middle.

Kent
Oct 18, 2006, 08:24 PM
According to PSUpedia, the only known cause of the Sleep effect are sleep traps.

fireant
Oct 18, 2006, 08:24 PM
Mabey if your team does a lot of damage to the same target it get stuned (sleep SE).

Ether
Oct 18, 2006, 08:25 PM
A friend of mine had a spear that caused silence on enemies, honestly I have no idea why. This was in a party with just us, and I wasnt casting any diga spells

-Break-
Oct 18, 2006, 08:26 PM
Silly beta...

Rizen
Oct 18, 2006, 08:27 PM
Either its a bug or we just stumbled across that weapons might have secret effects...

Authenticate
I've caused this "sleep" effect on enemies with a normal element dagger before. Maybe certain weapons can cause special effects?

Edit: I think it was one of the B rank Yohmei daggers you can get at the shop in extra mode.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Authenticate on 2006-10-18 18:29 ]</font>

Rejor11
Either it's a bug or *gasp* a hidden feature? XD

Rejor11
Oct 18, 2006, 08:32 PM
I read somewhere that aiming to shoot certain body parts on an enemy can cause extra damage to the monster. Maybe the same is true for status effects? Maybe if you hit the head a lot, it'll go to sleep.

Kent
Oct 18, 2006, 08:43 PM
But you can't aim with melee weapons, subjective viewpoint aiming only works with certain ranged weapons.

Lotus17
Oct 18, 2006, 08:45 PM
I have many element melee weapons...but none of them have ever caused a status effect?

Flunky
Oct 18, 2006, 08:56 PM
I used daggers a bunch, and I also noticed something like this.

I can't remember what the icon looks like, but I'd frequently (with both regular and PA attacks) make an enemy slouch over and be stunned/sleeping for a bit. It wore off when somebody clobbered them again or after about 3-10 seconds. I've done it with both elemental and non-elemental daggers.

I didn't cause it with any other weapons, though (tried using every melee weapon but twin daggers). My equipped dagger PA skill was much higher (15-17ish when I noticed the stunning/sleeping). With a PA skill of 11-12 on knuckles I didn't notice it, nor for my other weapons tried (all below 11 PA skill). It might be something regarding the level of the PA skill equipped or the power of the weapon vs. the enemy's level- I only remember noticing it on level 15 and below enemies, while I was above 15 using a dagger with a PA above 15, using 3-star and 4-star daggers.

All I really -know-, though, is that when using daggers I'd do that rather frequently to anything smaller than those giant beasts in the relics.

Ether
Oct 19, 2006, 06:17 AM
Alright I tested this out some more today, Lacenata (2000 meseta, 3* Yohmei Spear) causes silence. I have no idea why, and if it needs to be store bought or just neutral element, but it does work

I even made a short video of it happening: http://www.inconsequentialexistence.com/psu/silence.avi

Kent
Oct 19, 2006, 06:32 AM
That certainly is interesting... Could it be something relating to Yohmei weapons?

Elleranda
Oct 19, 2006, 06:42 AM
I've also been stunned/slept randomly if I'm getting the crap beat out of me. I don't think it's a special from a particular mob though. But if I remember right, it was when I was hit from behind.

Edit: Haha, that sounded weird. I know the thread isn't about RECIEVING the status effect, but I thought I'd mention that I've gotten it a few times from different mobs and it seemed fairly random, though only from things that actually hurt.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Elleranda on 2006-10-19 04:49 ]</font>

Katrina
Oct 19, 2006, 06:56 AM
The Spear PA "Deus Daggaz" has a chance of inflicting the silence status effect.

(listed in the skills section here in PSOWorld/PSU)

Tycho
Oct 19, 2006, 07:04 AM
Yes, this is supposed to happen, although it has not been documented well on the Western side of the internet yet. Certain melee weapons seemed to have been able to inflict particular status changes, Yohmei ones in particular. The best thing to do would be to just make a note for each weapon that seems to have this feature.

Velocity_7
Oct 19, 2006, 08:19 AM
That's interesting. More reason to be on Youmei weapons than the rest, huh.

By the way, Butenshuzan (single dagger PA) has a chance of inflicting sleep on the first combo; thing though is that instead of white stars it's yellow.

VanHalen
Oct 20, 2006, 09:56 PM
umm i dont know why this is weird. in real life if you were to get touched by a sword that was on fire wouldnt you burn? i dont think melee weapons would have elements for pretty colors. do you? and if you watch the gradnade lancher video on youtube you can see a spear freezes monsters