PDA

View Full Version : Ugh.

Uncle_bob
Oct 18, 2006, 08:46 PM
They're not "mages"; they're Forces. They don't use "mana"; they use PP. They don't use "magic"; they use techiques. Shut the fuck up and get the fuck out, this is not WoW or Final Fantasy, it's PSU you stupid FUCKS.

I feel better now. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

DikkyRay
Oct 18, 2006, 08:51 PM
uhhh, who are you talking to?

Leviathan
Oct 18, 2006, 08:56 PM
Hmm, this reminds me of a story.

<<I was talking to this guy>>

Guy: So where are you from?

Me: Puerto Rico.

Guy: Cool, what part of Mexico is that again?

Me: (//_X) <<since when was Puerto Rico a part of Mexico>>

Well maybe thats not exactly the same but, I know where your coming from.

Uncle_bob
Oct 18, 2006, 08:57 PM
On 2006-10-18 18:51, DikkyRay wrote:
uhhh, who are you talking to?

Lots of idiots in the PSU forum.

Uncle_bob
Oct 18, 2006, 09:00 PM
On 2006-10-18 18:56, Leviatha wrote:
Hmm, this reminds me of a story.

<<I was talking to this guy>>

Guy: So where are you from?

Me: Puerto Rico.

Guy: Cool, what part of Mexico is that again?

Me: (//_X) <<since when was Puerto Rico a part of Mexico>>

Well maybe thats not exactly the same but, I know where your coming from.

Are you serious? D..Did you hit him? Hard?

Leviathan
Oct 19, 2006, 03:39 PM
Yes, I didn't have time to hit him though.<<the teacher was close to us.>> =/

Garroway
Oct 19, 2006, 07:13 PM
I hadn’t really considered the game terminology a matter of contention. Now that I know it’s an issue, instead of “Forces” I will be using “Masters of Prestidigitation” and instead of “PP” I will be using “Arcane Reservoir”. Maybe we could start referring to “Rangers” as “Archers” or “Marksmen” and perhaps “Hunters” could be “Knights” or “Duelists”.

~ Let me explain my sarcasm for some of the slow minded readers: I was using the examples as a way of demonstrating that misuse of terminology can actually obfuscate the discussion. Uncle_bob did have a legitimate point, even if it was worded more aggressively than needed. ~

Bleemo
Oct 19, 2006, 07:27 PM
I don't get the point of this rant.

I suppose I cannot call a spell caster a "caster". I suppose I can't call a melee class, "melee".

The only thing "required" in any game termionlogy is that which everyone can understand you. When someone calls a class a "mage", so long as that class is a spell caster, they are not incorrect in their terminology.

Uncle_bob did not have a legitimate point. So long as everyone understands what you're talking about, it doesn't matter a tiny bit what terminology you use.

To get bent up over game terminology you must be either a raging fanboy, or have the patience level of a newborn child.

DonRoyale
Oct 19, 2006, 07:41 PM
How about "Fantasy Star Online?" http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_argh.gif

That makes me so mad sometimes...:

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Oct 19, 2006, 07:55 PM
On 2006-10-19 17:41, SereneShadows wrote:
How about "Fantasy Star Online?" http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_argh.gif

That makes me so mad sometimes...:

"What if Final Fantasy and Phantasy Star combined to make a super mega game?!"

Then it would be called PSFU: Phantasy Star Final Universe.

That would be nice for angry letters, PS: FU, but not soo much for a game title.

Making comparisons is all fine and well if you're too trained on one game, just make sure you at least attempt to learn respective games' terms to discuss things so people know what you're talking about.

Dre_o
Oct 19, 2006, 09:09 PM
Uncle, I know you don't get angry very easily (or so I've seen) but you and I share one of the SAME FREAKIN ANNOYANCES!!!

DAMMIT IF YOU'RE GONNA PLAY THE GAME, LEARN THE TERMONOLOGY!! I DON'T CARE HOW LAZY YOU ARE.

ahh...ok, I'm cool.

Garroway
Oct 19, 2006, 11:24 PM
As I stated previously, it was an over aggressive presentation but this is a question on language. To most readers framiliar with the genre, "Mage" is not a far stretch from "Forces" however, to someone unframiliar, the term "Mage" does not appear in the PSU documentation, so it could lead to confusion even if does not lead to confusion for you specificaly. Of course most narrow minded individuals are unable to recognise that others do not always share their life experiences, interests, or knowledge.

Uncle_bob
Oct 20, 2006, 12:48 AM
On 2006-10-19 17:27, Bleemo wrote:
I don't get the point of this rant.

Read it again.

I suppose I cannot call a spell caster a "caster". I suppose I can't call a melee class, "melee".

You can, because that's completely different from what's annoying me. What pisses me off is when shitlicks from games like FFX or WoW bring their stupid ass terminology into PSU/PSO. Not saying everyone that plays those are shitlicks, mind you.

The only thing "required" in any game termionlogy is that which everyone can understand you. When someone calls a class a "mage", so long as that class is a spell caster, they are not incorrect in their terminology.

So? It still pisses me off; the same can be said for many others. For the sake of a making a good solid comparison... My brother is sexually attracted to men. I could say he's a fag. Yes, people know I'm saying my brother is gay, but there's a good chance that they're pissed off by the word I used to describe him. Now do you see what I mean?

Uncle_bob did not have a legitimate point. So long as everyone understands what you're talking about, it doesn't matter a tiny bit what terminology you use.

Wrong. And even if my point WAS wrong, who the hell are you to decide? This forum is made for ranting. Now, get off of my nuts.

To get bent up over game terminology you must be either a raging fanboy, or have the patience level of a newborn child.

No, I've just been playing Phantasy Star Online for many years, and I'm tired of seeing these kids jump in and start using their goofy Final Fantasy terminology in a completely different game.

Xaos127
Oct 20, 2006, 03:11 AM
What exactly is the problem with people saying that ?
That's kinda like how I still don't have the buttons on my xbox controller memorized, so like when me and a friend are playing and if you have to hit a specific button, we still refer to them as Square, Circle, X or Triangle.
And if it does bother you that much, don't playw ith those poeple, or speak or whatever it is you do.

Uncle_bob
Oct 20, 2006, 03:46 AM
On 2006-10-20 01:11, Xaos127 wrote:
What exactly is the problem with people saying that ?

It pisses me off. Refer to the original post for more.

Otis_Kat
Oct 20, 2006, 05:23 AM
On 2006-10-18 18:46, Uncle_bob wrote:
They don't use "magic"; they use techiques.

Well actually, they are called Technics in PSU http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

But ya, I get where you are coming from >_<

Uncle_bob
Oct 20, 2006, 05:30 AM
On 2006-10-20 03:23, Otis_Kat wrote:

On 2006-10-18 18:46, Uncle_bob wrote:
They don't use "magic"; they use techiques.

Well actually, they are called Technics in PSU http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

lol engrish

Bleemo
Oct 20, 2006, 05:52 AM
Hey Bob, I like you. Let's be friends.

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_beer.gif

Seriously.

Feelmirath
Oct 20, 2006, 11:22 AM
I can't disagree with you there, ya rly.