PDA

View Full Version : hey how come english voice characters don't have cool phrase

VanHalen
Oct 18, 2006, 08:51 PM
i was on youtube and i was listening to the character creation's english voices and i noticed they are all grunts and growls. how come the japanese voices have cool phrases(some i know some i dont but they sound cool). guess you cant have it all lol

Alexandrious1
Oct 18, 2006, 08:51 PM
Be glad they dont have phrases. Seriously, just think bout it.

MaximusLight
Oct 18, 2006, 08:52 PM
On 2006-10-18 18:51, Alexandrious1 wrote:
Be glad they dont have phrases. Seriously, just think bout it.

I'm with him on this one.

VanHalen
Oct 18, 2006, 08:53 PM
*thinks about it*.........you know your right that wouldnt sound good "here we go" doesnt sound cool in english lol

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VanHalen on 2006-10-18 18:54 ]</font>

Rizen
Oct 18, 2006, 08:54 PM
Two words: Pow Hammer

Undubbed
Oct 18, 2006, 08:55 PM
HOT STUFF!

Coming your way!

VanHalen
Oct 18, 2006, 09:02 PM
i guess sega did something right by not giving them phrases or they could do like street fighter and not speak english lol

Nani-chan
Oct 18, 2006, 09:04 PM
Believe it!

Silver_Wyrm
Oct 18, 2006, 09:04 PM
um, I hope we can use the japanese voices ._.

Sev
Oct 18, 2006, 09:06 PM
On 2006-10-18 18:55, Undubbed wrote:
HOT STUFF!

Coming your way!

Yeah OP... If you haven't played the newer shining games, I suggest you do and see just how annoying English phrases can get. I really do like Shining Force Neo though.

Jozon
Oct 18, 2006, 09:07 PM
On 2006-10-18 19:06, Sev wrote:

On 2006-10-18 18:55, Undubbed wrote:
HOT STUFF!

Coming your way!

Yeah OP... If you haven't played the newer shining games, I suggest you do and see just how annoying English phrases can get. I really do like Shining Force Neo though.

this deserves it's own lol sticky

VanHalen
Oct 18, 2006, 09:07 PM
^ lol fine they can speak SPanish it will be better http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Merumeru
Oct 18, 2006, 09:08 PM
XD if anyone has the japanese ps2 version, i wonder if theres a sound file you can rip from it and stick it in the US version

Undubbed
Oct 18, 2006, 09:12 PM
Anyone remember how Team Ninja put the Japanese voices as the default language after DOA2?

Actually I haven't checked if there are English voices in DOA4...and I don't feel like checking.

Akaimizu
Oct 18, 2006, 09:13 PM
It makes sense. In general, english speakers are more familiar with simple grunts and such, when there's fighting. Not so much in dialogue, unless there's a break in fighting. With Japanese entertainment, there's more familiarity of using short phrases, or a single word saying, as they fight, and not waiting for a break in it to use anything discernable as language.

Sort of a cultural entertainment difference that people are used to.

And they haven't forced English voices on people since DOA2 Hardcore. Which I believe is probably the only version they did that stuff with.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2006-10-18 19:14 ]</font>

VanHalen
Oct 18, 2006, 09:15 PM
see they could do something like that in PSU it would make the characters seem to have more emotion, feeling, PASSION *makes a fist*. yes the passion of the hunter as he makes a cut to his enemies. the ranger to protect his loved ones, the force determined to attack his foes and heal his friends!!!

FenixStryk
Oct 18, 2006, 09:36 PM
Be glad they dont have phrases. Seriously, just think bout it.Whose to say the phreases have to be verbatim translations of the old JP phrases? Sure, phrases like "Here I come!" and "I will win!" would sound like garbage in English, they could switch them for "Eat this!" or "Come get some!". Besides, I like the "Ha Ha HAAah!" laugh. =]

VanHalen
Oct 18, 2006, 09:40 PM
On 2006-10-18 19:36, FenixStryk wrote:

Be glad they dont have phrases. Seriously, just think bout it.Whose to say the phreases have to be verbatim translations of the old JP phrases? Sure, phrases like "Here I come!" and "I will win!" would sound like garbage in English, they could switch them for "Eat this!" or "Come get some!". Besides, I like the "Ha Ha HAAah!" laugh. =]

hey when you revive you can say "remember me dirt bag?" to the monsters or when/if there's PvP

Kyuu
Oct 18, 2006, 09:41 PM
I just hope someone can find a way to put the Japanese voice acting in for us NA players. I'm not fond of the English voice acting, even with it just being grunts and growls. If they'd actually put in phrases... it just doesn't work in English like it works in Japanese.

Silver_Wyrm
Oct 18, 2006, 09:43 PM
On 2006-10-18 19:41, Kyuu wrote:
I just hope someone can find a way to put the Japanese voice acting in for us NA players. I'm not fond of the English voice acting, even with it just being grunts and growls. If they'd actually put in phrases... it just doesn't work in English like it works in Japanese.

QFT Im rossing my fingers

FenixStryk
Oct 18, 2006, 09:45 PM
I just hope someone can find a way to put the Japanese voice acting in for us NA players. I'm not fond of the English voice acting, even with it just being grunts and growls. If they'd actually put in phrases... it just doesn't work in English like it works in Japanese.I'd fathom that switching your 360's language to Japanese would also change the voices. It did that for Phantom Dust on the BlackBox, so why not here?

Kyuu
Oct 18, 2006, 09:47 PM
On 2006-10-18 19:45, FenixStryk wrote:

I'd fathom that switching your 360's language to Japanese would also change the voices. It did that for Phantom Dust on the BlackBox, so why not here?
1) I'm on PC. ~_~

2) They'd have to include the original Japanese voice acting on the disc, which they may not do. Plus, wouldn't that also change the text to Japanese? Or does that only affect audio?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kyuu on 2006-10-18 19:48 ]</font>

Sev
Oct 18, 2006, 09:49 PM
I don't see what they would gain by taking the information for the Japanese Audio off the disc though.

VanHalen
Oct 18, 2006, 09:50 PM
the english probably isnt that bad except hyuga. yeah he sounds bad but Ethan's sister sounds better in english than in japanese

Alexandrious1
Oct 18, 2006, 09:51 PM

No just...no.

Their are few line of games that done english voice acting just right, but they of course, hired high quality voice actors to do the job.

I would prefer it if their was a way to switch to the use of JP voices. I hope retail may have this option, cuz I seriously dont like most of the english voices as is.

FenixStryk
Oct 18, 2006, 09:51 PM
On 2006-10-18 19:49, Sev wrote:I don't see what they would gain by taking the information for the Japanese Audio off the disc though.My thoughts exactly.

VanHalen
Oct 18, 2006, 09:54 PM
On 2006-10-18 19:51, Alexandrious1 wrote:

No just...no.

Their are few line of games that done english voice acting just right, but they of course, hired high quality voice actors to do the job.

I would prefer it if their was a way to switch to the use of JP voices. I hope retail may have this option, cuz I seriously dont like most of the english voices as is.

sonic adventure's english actors didnt sound bad the japanese one made me laugh. but anyway the only problem with sonic adventure was they couldnt stop moving while standing still

Undubbed
Oct 18, 2006, 10:02 PM
On 2006-10-18 19:54, VanHalen wrote:

On 2006-10-18 19:51, Alexandrious1 wrote:

No just...no.

sonic adventure's english actors didnt sound bad the japanese one made me laugh. but anyway the only problem with sonic adventure was they couldnt stop moving while standing still

Yeah Sonic's Japanese voice DID sound silly trying to speak English phrases like "HEY, IT'S OKEEE!" and other english phrases.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Undubbed on 2006-10-18 20:04 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Undubbed on 2006-10-18 20:04 ]</font>

VanHalen
Oct 18, 2006, 10:23 PM
lol it was and people complained about tail's english voice. it was much higher pitched than Amy's in japanese

SpishackCola
Oct 18, 2006, 10:29 PM
On 2006-10-18 18:54, Rizen wrote:
Two words: Pow Hammer

What's wrong with Pow Hammer?!?! *Pow Blade to the face*

Flamingo99
Oct 18, 2006, 10:31 PM
"hey how come english voice characters don't have cool phrases?"
because they would say the most chessy and annoying comments ever. Imagine everytime you cast foie you hear "Take this!" or "Its time to die!." I personally would mind if they say "Ow" or "Ahh!"when they get hit though... its the full phrases that get to me.

Garnet_Moon
Oct 18, 2006, 10:35 PM
I don't know... if they had voice acting like Metal Wolf Chaos it could prove to be a hilarious moment. Especially if the randomness from phrases activates alot during boss fights. Though I would probably be the reason for a wipe while laughing so much and not concentrating... but that's just me.

You guys are roast chicken!
Bean-go!
Haw do you liek me nyow!

God I love that game.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Garnet_Moon on 2006-10-18 20:36 ]</font>

BlueInfinity
Oct 18, 2006, 10:38 PM
personally i love hearing HET HET HAWD HET HAWD OGH AHHHHHHH!! it reminds me of legend of zelda

AzureBlaze
Oct 18, 2006, 11:04 PM
Remember Sonic Heroes?
With the teams of 3, they'd talk every time you changed to a new team leader. They also talked at random, saying the same frazes a billion times. It did get annoying quickly. Even in PSU remember during the JP beta where everyone snuck on there, ST did a change to make the voices less frequent due to JP user complaints.

I guess they realize that unlike Sonic, this game is meant to be played for years to come constantly. Imagine hearing that...for years. Some people do thousands of hours on their characters which may add up to millions of times hearing that fraze. You'd get pretty tired of it, no matter how good the VA was. Also the "inadvertant wacky" factor is there too...if you're trying to have a serious fight and someone's guy yells "take that you over grown cheez doodle!" to the neudiaz worm/plant thing that shot out of the ground you're more "....." than happy.

A note of curiosity:
What DID the original JP voices say? I can't understand them, is there some kind of fraze list somewhere that someone translated? It could be funny/helpful to see.

Also of interest:
Why isn't there an option to have a silent character? One with no voice at all who never makes a sound?

kyori
Oct 18, 2006, 11:23 PM
Well heres a fancy niblet. Someones been able to get the english audio working on the JP version on PC. That involves replacing files of course with one another of course.. Im assuming vice versa could occur too, but waiting to see the final us pc release.

Openget
Oct 18, 2006, 11:27 PM
On 2006-10-18 19:04, Nani-chan wrote:
Believe it!

Valatar
Oct 18, 2006, 11:43 PM
I have to agree, in every Japanese game I've seen that has been localized to English, the english phrases are ATROCIOUS. They make me want to claw my own eyes out and stuff them in my ears so I don't have to hear them anymore. Of course, it doesn't help any that they usually get mediocre voice talent.

watashiwa
Oct 18, 2006, 11:44 PM
On 2006-10-18 21:43, Valatar wrote:
I have to agree, in every Japanese game I've seen that has been localized to English, the english phrases are ATROCIOUS.

I disagree in regards to the Tales games! Symphonia and the recently released Abyss have decent English voiceovers, even in battle.. I love 'em.

SpishackCola
Oct 18, 2006, 11:46 PM
SWORD RAIN!

Temari
Oct 19, 2006, 12:06 AM
LOL.

English voice-overs are whack.

If they're gonna say something, at least change the tone a bit or say something really rad... you know?

Tycho
Oct 19, 2006, 12:28 AM
The English voice actors don't get paid as much.

Merumeru
Oct 19, 2006, 12:40 AM
XD all i know is that so many things sound cooler in japanese than in english, and SEXIER in most cases, such as (excuse my bad japanese-english writing):

shine! (Die!)
yosha! (Alright!)
itae! (It hurts!)

DraginHikari
Oct 19, 2006, 12:50 AM
On 2006-10-18 22:28, Tycho wrote:
The English voice actors don't get paid as much.

Actually agood point, VAing is treating at a different level in JP then in most places in general. It's brings a massive difference in what producers expect out of Voice Actors... which is probably low standard compared to JP's viewpoint on it.

But then again I'm odd, I'd rather have bad voices I can understand then good voices I can't.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DraginHikari on 2006-10-18 22:50 ]</font>

Pengfishh
Oct 19, 2006, 12:53 AM

Shut the fuck up. They're the fucking same, just without the goofball fucking phrases. Godamned idiot Japanophiles and tequila.

God damn the tequila.

FenixStryk
Oct 19, 2006, 12:54 AM
On 2006-10-18 22:53, Pengfishh wrote:
On 2006-10-18 19:41, Kyuu wrote:I just hope someone can find a way to put the Japanese voice acting in for us NA players. I'm not fond of the English voice acting, even with it just being grunts and growls. If they'd actually put in phrases... it just doesn't work in English like it works in Japanese.Shut the fuck up. They're the fucking same, just without the goofball fucking phrases. Godamned idiot Japanophiles and tequila.
God damn the tequila.Whoa there, cowboy! SInce when did you join the navy? Only sailors are allowed to talk with that mouth!

DraginHikari
Oct 19, 2006, 01:00 AM
Come to think of it, when I hear a word in another language it always sounds more intresting then to hear it in my native tongue. I would imagine any person having to listen any word in their own language over and over in a game would get old after awhile. Funny thing is I see alot of people (No I'm not talking about anyone here) who are in to watching Anime RAWs and really have no idea what any of it means. But love it to death for some reason

Kyuu
Oct 19, 2006, 01:04 AM

Shut the fuck up. They're the fucking same, just without the goofball fucking phrases. Godamned idiot Japanophiles and tequila.

God damn the tequila.
I agree. You should ease up on the tequila there. Helps with that hostility, not to mention might improve your hearing. Can't have good hearing if you think they sound the same. (Or, more likely, you haven't heard both and so don't know what you're talking about.)

Yeah, I'm a Japanophile I guess. I like the language and the culture. Guess I forgot I'm not allowed to have my own likes independent of random forum posters on the internet. My apologies.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kyuu on 2006-10-18 23:04 ]</font>

DrEngrish
Oct 19, 2006, 01:35 AM
Pengfishh, I'm guessing you posted that to get a reaction from everyone... but come one man, you know that posting that sort of stuff makes you look really young and stupid. I understand that this forum has people from all sorts of age groups but, even the some of the youngest of users have a bit more maturity than that. Don't burst into conversations that you have no real interest in participating in with comments made to intentionally make people angry. Its post like that which can turn a good topic into flame battles...

...and for the small chance that you are really that angry about that persons comment; chill out a bit. If a comment on this board gets you that worked up, you might need to take a break.

ANIMEniac
Oct 19, 2006, 01:45 AM
sorry for not reading the whole thread but i think in voice 10 for females she sais "Die" but its so terse that it dosent seem much like "ikimasu!" in the japanese or something

Pengfishh
Oct 19, 2006, 10:04 AM
Whoa, I am sorry about that. Anger pours out through the keys or something. Please forgive my ridiculous behavior.

Akaimizu
Oct 19, 2006, 10:33 AM
As I mentioned; there's one good reason why they don't change it to English directly. It's because of the cultural differences in what is acceptable to hear during combat.

You do remember the words said, in those cases, are constantly repeating samples. You'll hear them over and over again. This plain just doesn't do with Western television. However, many of us grew up with Street Fighter, King of Fighters, Darkstalkers, Fatal Fury, Samurai Shodown and other Japanese Fighting games, where they yell out various simple repeated fighting phrases over and over. So to us, it doesn't sound cheezy, but cool.

Considering nobody was conditioned to hear that kind of stuff in any other language, how would we expect it?

For me, I'm ok with them not speaking it, as the yells and grunts are only to communicate at the level for the society used to hearing such things. The characters aren't Japanese, or for the most part, anything near Japanese (though with such a future timeline, some may have some Japanese in their background). So they changed what they say in battle, to sounds we're more accustomed that English-speakers would use.

I would guess, a lot of people want everything from japan to represent anime, verbatim. But IMO, this actually goes a long way to not make me feel that all the characters are Japanese. I can actually feel like PSU is comprised of just a collection of various races stemmed from all parts of their civilizations when I'm not alienated from the people within it. I would guess it would be the same for someone Japanese, playing the Japanese version.

P.S. I also like the laugh, myself. That works so well on male characters. During my Beta playtime, I was amused when Orlando D would laugh in the fight. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2006-10-19 08:34 ]</font>

Zato-2TWO
Oct 19, 2006, 12:33 PM
Depends, if Sega gets enough complaints from beta users about the English voices (if the voices were available then), a change might be made. If anyone wants a bad instance of bad forced English voice acting (aside from Metal Wolf Chaos =P), just take a look at Virtua Fighter 4's English speaking characters, or even that Soul Calibur 2 and 3 are defaulted to English voices (Kilik: "I see you!").

As far as I'm concerned, I'm actually comfortable with PSU's Story Mode English VO's. I like how Ethan's voice turned out because the VO doesn't make the classic mistake of trying to talk like a Japanese person in English; Ethan's VO sounds like he's just speaking like a goofy teenager would in an English production, and that's why it sounds more natural than trying to mimic Japanese mannerisms.

The online character voices might be an entirely different case. If you take a look at, for example, Japanese Female Voice #12, she rather constantly says "Douu?", which is something like "Well?" or "You like that?", and really just sounds more appropriate in Japanese. It's entirely possible to properly translate the phrases without bastardizing the meaning by finding an appropriate English equivilant, though in the case of Female Voice #12 it's hard to imagine what a somewhat-slutty voice in English might say in mid-battle.

I just hope to god they keep Japanese Male Voice #9 with a proper English equivilant. =P

Kizzy
Oct 19, 2006, 03:18 PM
*Sighs* I just guess that America's not good enough to get phrases. We suck...

Cause_I_Own_U
Oct 19, 2006, 03:22 PM
Because english voice acters dont sound cool when saying battle phrases only japanese ones do especially in a anime game, the english language is boring compared to japanese

They did the right thing not forcing me to mute voice overs

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cause_I_Own_U on 2006-10-19 13:24 ]</font>

DONTOSE
Oct 19, 2006, 03:39 PM
I think english is better and it sounds cooler to me then any Japanese phrases just look at the game devilmaycry3 dante makes his phrases in english sound really cool so i agree to what FenixStryk said if you just change it up a littel bet from Japanese to english it well sound much better in english

Episteme
Oct 19, 2006, 06:20 PM
English phrases in the game would be great to me. Its not like they have to find an exact equivalent to the phrases used by the japanese version. As long as its appropiate and sounds good i would have no problems whatsoever. The idea of hearing multiple phrases in japanese(which i wont understand) doesnt sound appealing to me. For fighting games its alright but for something like PSU its just not understandable.

-Yue-
Oct 19, 2006, 06:35 PM
the voices seems the same actor sick in the bed...

VanHalen
Oct 19, 2006, 09:25 PM
On 2006-10-19 13:18, Kizzy wrote:
*Sighs* I just guess that America's not good enough to get phrases. We suck...

hey we dont suck we rock. and we have cool phrases but i dont think we want are characters to say them otherwise this games rating will jump from T to M. yup cursing is pretty fun ask my mother.

VoidAbsolute
Oct 19, 2006, 09:34 PM
english phrase #25 "ahhh.....my enchanted shin!"

AlphaMinotaux
Oct 19, 2006, 09:37 PM
people think common phrases and such sound cooler in japanese cause they wish they were japanese themselves. Freaking Weaboo's ._.

Flamingo99
Oct 19, 2006, 10:09 PM

God damn the tequila.

LMAO.... WTF is a Japanophile?!? Are you talking about Japanese child rapists? Japanophobes would be the correct word.

Blackwaltz-R
Oct 19, 2006, 10:21 PM
Theirs nothing wrong with the voice acting, its the dialogued written by the japanese thats the problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trmPZScztok&mode=related&search=

DonRoyale
Oct 19, 2006, 11:05 PM
Believe it!

NO NARUTO! >XO

Silver_Wyrm
Oct 19, 2006, 11:11 PM
On 2006-10-19 21:05, SereneShadows wrote:

Believe it!

NO NARUTO! >XO

dont make me cry

Akaimizu
Oct 19, 2006, 11:30 PM
On 2006-10-19 20:21, Blackwaltz-R wrote:
Theirs nothing wrong with the voice acting, its the dialogued written by the japanese thats the problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trmPZScztok&mode=related&search=

Wow. That voice acting is priceless. Makes me want to pick up Metal Wolf Chaos. I haven't seen and heard something that funny since the dubbed version of that anime parody called "Shinesmen". Something that had perfect voice acting for hilarious dialogue. (Of course, in the case of Shinesmen, the ridiculous dialogue was 100% on purpose).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2006-10-19 21:31 ]</font>

Ryo_Hayasa
Oct 19, 2006, 11:45 PM
i want my JP voicing, but only if i get to choose between the two. quality is all i want. thats all.

oh and random phases in the JP voices: "here i go/come" "eat this" "Ow/Darn it" "No, not yet" (death cry) "Not, i'm not done yet" "Thank you, for saving me"

thats all i can tell from hearing it.

Pandarino
Oct 20, 2006, 02:12 AM
On 2006-10-19 16:35, -Yue- wrote:
the voices seems the same actor sick in the bed...

it doesn't seem the same actor, it definitely is the same actor...a 12 yo child sick in the bathroom.

FAHR-3NH317
Oct 20, 2006, 11:45 AM
I'd like Japanese voices, excpecially in the single player game. Those Japanese voice actors are awsome - and I don't mind reading sub-titles :>

Those cut scenes are like watching an anime, nice - I'll be playing through the single player game at some point for sure.

Feelmirath
Oct 20, 2006, 11:54 AM
Japan gets the phrases, we get the orgasmic sounds http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

I'll learn to live with it XD

Ryogen
Oct 20, 2006, 11:57 AM
Ha, have phrases similar to True Crime: Streets of LA? I don't know you have to be real clever and witty to make good phrases. But why would they want to do that? We can use voice/keyboard in xbox live and PC/PS2 can use voice/keyboard so we make our own phrases.

SpishackCola
Oct 20, 2006, 12:13 PM
no our own phrases please

Ecstasy
Oct 20, 2006, 12:25 PM
I would have liked them to keep the japanese phrases on the english version. But yeah english phrases repeated over and over would sound like crap:) Maybe those who want the japanese phrases will get a mod for it so 'we' the player can hear them:)

P.s. yes Mods are legal in online games as long as it doesnt effect gameplay our othere players exsperience. i hade MANY mods for star wars galaxies that were all approved by SOE.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ecstasy on 2006-10-20 10:26 ]</font>

Spellbinder
Oct 20, 2006, 12:28 PM
Believe it!

ENGLISH NARUTO!!!! AGHHHHH!!!!! *dies*

-Yue-
Oct 23, 2006, 03:47 PM
On 2006-10-20 09:54, Feelmirath wrote:
Japan gets the phrases, we get the orgasmic sounds http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

it's a simulation XD