PDA

View Full Version : What's the deal with the swear filter?

Soundfx4
Oct 18, 2006, 10:49 PM
I have to ask two things:

I ran into someone named Dice in PSU on the 360 open beta and he was using the word fuck without any obvious tricks. Does anyone know how he did this? I asked him how to do it and he was askign 1000 meseta for the instructions. Well I want to spend my money on room decoratios before the beta ends, so I'm not doing that (besides he could take my money...why I don't know, since his character will be gone tonight). So anyway, anyone know how people
are doing this?

My other question is about the swear filter in general, what the hell is up with it? It is censor nuts! I mean it censors words that aren't even close to swear words.

Anyway, please get back to me quickly beta ends in like 10 mins http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

SpishackCola
Oct 18, 2006, 10:51 PM
Does it do the swear word across two words censor as well?

Garnet_Moon
Oct 18, 2006, 10:51 PM
I liked the filter on the DC version. It filtered out Pork and Shoe I think. Been so many years since I played it so I don't know to be exact, but I do know it was hilarious though.

My only guess is because it's a beta the code isn't exactly all there.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Garnet_Moon on 2006-10-18 20:53 ]</font>

FenixStryk
Oct 18, 2006, 10:54 PM
Nuts is sort of a swear word, if you're a complete pervert.
I'm going to assume there's a way to turn off the filter in Options, but otherwise... =/

Numnuttz
Oct 18, 2006, 11:01 PM
hmmm nutz, i dont see me as a perv but whatever.

Soundfx4
Oct 18, 2006, 11:04 PM
On 2006-10-18 20:51, SpishackCola wrote:
Does it do the swear word across two words censor as well?

what exactly do you mean?

Soundfx4
Oct 18, 2006, 11:05 PM
On 2006-10-18 20:51, Garnet_Moon wrote:
I liked the filter on the DC version. It filtered out Pork and Shoe I think. Been so many years since I played it so I don't know to be exact, but I do know it was hilarious though.

My only guess is because it's a beta the code isn't exactly all there.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Garnet_Moon on 2006-10-18 20:53 ]</font>

that's what I'm hoping because the swear filter in this beta is SO much worse the the PSO versions.

Soundfx4
Oct 18, 2006, 11:06 PM
On 2006-10-18 20:54, FenixStryk wrote:
Nuts is sort of a swear word, if you're a complete pervert.
I'm going to assume there's a way to turn off the filter in Options, but otherwise... =/

well I'm not even talking about words like that. I've said entire sentences that didn't contain a single mispelling, or dirty word, or even anything close to a dirty word to a person with a dirty mind. And it censored the whole thing. I wish I could give an example, but I've forgotten the things I said.

Blenjar
Oct 18, 2006, 11:07 PM
its extended to the 21st japan time..not sure when..check psu . jp or something..

-- Blen

Soundfx4
Oct 18, 2006, 11:08 PM
Ok I just ran across an example, I just said this, "dude, cut it out, not cool" and it censored the whole thing! lol wtf is all I have to say.

watashiwa
Oct 18, 2006, 11:09 PM
You can bypass a good portion of the swear filter by typing an @ and s space before your message.

For example:

Normally if you typed "I'm fucking pissed." the whole sentence would get censored. However, if you type "@ I'm fucking pissed." it won't censor the sentence at all.

Some things are STILL censored when you do it this way, though.. But a good chunk isn't. Like, you can type Jesus and God again.. you can also type racial slurs.. you can type "Ridiculous" again.. and a lot more..

Kakashi_Xero
Oct 18, 2006, 11:14 PM
its still exreamly rediclulous, it filtered a couple word like, crap, farther, shoe but you can say hell(people say because its on weapons, when you can say ano from ano bazooka without it being censored

Flame6
Oct 18, 2006, 11:23 PM
dude i told somone "push L and than Y" and it censered the whole thing!

AzureBlaze
Oct 18, 2006, 11:26 PM
To soundfx
Censoring a word across two words means that it hits words which when spoken next to eachother form a kind of obscure swear. Watch this:

It works like this, doesn't it?

Well, if "across gap censor" is working, it will find the word "tit" at the end. The T from doesnt and the "it". It does this so that people can't break swears with a space and still swear anyway, like this:

Dam n it all.

The problem is it hits everything and ruins your sentances, and you can't stop it because no one thinks that way. Here is something to puzzle you: This was censored in all the PSOs. You can't say the WHOLE fraze "Bomberman good". The answer to why is really stupid, and the people who came up with the reason had to be really twisted.

Unfortunatly, I don't know how anyone's cursing now freely. I was on the JP beta, and tested the filter where no one could 'hear' me sounding like a loon. On there, it was actually way BETTER. You could say shoes, spork, refrigerator, saturday, basement, spicy spices, and some others I forgot. You still CANT say Crack (krack) Damn (damm) and drugs (drugz) but you can say everything in the parenthasee, which is still 100% understand-able.

The lousy thing is that the censor is just so so avoidable that all it does is hassle people. If you really want to swear, you're going to do it with commas, periods, dashes or creative spelling. The only thing it's going to snag are accidental words and people who flat out type a swear due to over-emotional circumstance.
The saving grace in all this is: it's server-side, so it's adjustable! If they're actually minding their own promises and UPDATING the game, then they can tweak the filter as issues come up.

Soundfx4
Oct 19, 2006, 12:14 AM
On 2006-10-18 21:07, Blenjar wrote:
its extended to the 21st japan time..not sure when..check psu . jp or something..

-- Blen

woot!

Niki
Oct 19, 2006, 12:17 AM
The answer is: children.

A2K
Oct 19, 2006, 12:21 AM
In all honesty it's so ridiculously nonsensical and inconsistent they should just oust it entirely. Especially considering they will be incapable of muting swears at all over voice chat on the Xbox 360 version.

Soundfx4
Oct 19, 2006, 12:26 AM
On 2006-10-18 21:26, AzureBlaze wrote:
To soundfx
Censoring a word across two words means that it hits words which when spoken next to eachother form a kind of obscure swear. Watch this:

It works like this, doesn't it?

Well, if "across gap censor" is working, it will find the word "tit" at the end. The T from doesnt and the "it". It does this so that people can't break swears with a space and still swear anyway, like this:

Dam n it all.

The problem is it hits everything and ruins your sentances, and you can't stop it because no one thinks that way. Here is something to puzzle you: This was censored in all the PSOs. You can't say the WHOLE fraze "Bomberman good". The answer to why is really stupid, and the people who came up with the reason had to be really twisted.

Unfortunatly, I don't know how anyone's cursing now freely. I was on the JP beta, and tested the filter where no one could 'hear' me sounding like a loon. On there, it was actually way BETTER. You could say shoes, spork, refrigerator, saturday, basement, spicy spices, and some others I forgot. You still CANT say Crack (krack) Damn (damm) and drugs (drugz) but you can say everything in the parenthasee, which is still 100% understand-able.

The lousy thing is that the censor is just so so avoidable that all it does is hassle people. If you really want to swear, you're going to do it with commas, periods, dashes or creative spelling. The only thing it's going to snag are accidental words and people who flat out type a swear due to over-emotional circumstance.
The saving grace in all this is: it's server-side, so it's adjustable! If they're actually minding their own promises and UPDATING the game, then they can tweak the filter as issues come up.

Ooooooooooh, I see. Haha, t it http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

The fact that it censors entire sentences though, is inexcusable, there can't possibly be a logical reason for that. I also thought I should tell you that you can say shoes on PSU for the 360 beta, it was the first think I tried lol. However, I'd give up the ability to say shoes in a second to get rid of the crappy swear filter they are using for the beta http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Soundfx4
Oct 19, 2006, 12:28 AM
On 2006-10-18 22:17, Niki wrote:
The answer is: children.

I have a couple of questions for you.

1: what?

2: Just say NO to rerolled PSO characters in PSU?

Ok, that's it http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Soundfx4
Oct 19, 2006, 12:30 AM
On 2006-10-18 22:21, A2K wrote:
In all honesty it's so ridiculously nonsensical and inconsistent they should just oust it entirely. Especially considering they will be incapable of muting swears at all over voice chat on the Xbox 360 version.

you have a pretty good point there, I've said fuck several times in voice chat...damnit I hate using that word though...You people are making me think nothing of that word though and I'm starting to use it more and more! AHHH!!!

Drown
Oct 19, 2006, 12:37 AM
They should just do the personal thing, where each individual person gets to choose to have their filter on or not, and leave it at that.

I hate it when games try to force everyone to not use profanities. I'm not saying that I do, because I personally believe them a substitute for people too lazy to think of sentences. However, I still do not mind when other people use them every so often.

DrEngrish
Oct 19, 2006, 12:53 AM
Taking in mind that this game is "T for teen", I think that most children who are 13 years old, the age which ESRB associates with this rating level, should be able to handle a few obscene words. Don't get me wrong, it is dumb when you see people swearing for no reason but just like someone said earlier... people will find creative ways to say exactly what they want to regardless the presence of censorship...Sega should be smart enough to know this... My hope is that Sega would ease up a little bit and post something like "Game Experience May Change During Online Play" similar to what you would see on some other Internet based titles. This way, if poor Billy learns a new word while playing PSU, his mom wont go running to Sega trying to get the game shut down.

=.=.... oh yea, its all Billy's moms fault.

Pengfishh
Oct 19, 2006, 12:57 AM
Fuck a swear filter.

DraginHikari
Oct 19, 2006, 01:02 AM
I've never let it bother me really oO people find ways around it anyway.

Deathcraze
Oct 19, 2006, 01:12 AM
I found this really restrictive while playing the beta to be honest. PSO's censoring was at least sensible but PSU censors your whole message and often you have no idea why.

I actually went to the PSU website and used the comments and suggestions form on the beta page to stress that PSUs current filter is too aggressive and that if the censor worked more like PSOs, then that would be much more welcome. I also said a option to turn off the filter entirely would be great but I don't see that happening.

Either way you should all at least tell Sega what you think of the censor like I did even if there is only a miniscule change of Sega acting upon it, I can only imagine how potentially bad communication could be on the PS2 or PC versions due to this. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

UltraDeeDer
Oct 19, 2006, 04:16 AM
BEAT IT is a swear word.

I see how telling someone to 'beat it' may be censor worthy but in the phrase "Don't give up! We can beat it!" (refering to the dragon) I was suprised that a series of swear words erupted from my mouth. It also kinda made the impression that i was fouling the air with profanity. shame really.

To overcome this problem, a simple insertion of ANY symbol eg. ass()hole will nulify the censor.

afcakey
Oct 19, 2006, 04:20 AM
the real question is can i say saturday yet?

Sodders
Oct 19, 2006, 05:22 AM
As long as I can say "Shoes" again, im happy http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif
(And yes, you can say Shoes again XD)

PadTheMad
Oct 19, 2006, 05:28 AM
I just don't see why there can't be an option to turn the filter off. Other MMORPGS have it and it's just a simple option. No probs.

And nope, still can't say Saturday. Laaaaame http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Grr
Oct 19, 2006, 05:35 AM
I think more important than the filter ability is the blacklist feature.
Someone going out of their way to be obnoxious using swear words ? They, my good sir, are an asshat.

A few menus (or a blacklist command later)........

They are an unheard , and (baring some strange situation) out of you life asshat. and thats the best kind of asshat.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Grr on 2006-10-19 03:47 ]</font>

Nayte
Oct 19, 2006, 05:56 AM
On 2006-10-18 21:26, AzureBlaze wrote:

This reminds me of Ragnarok Online where you're not allowed to say "Gravity sucks".

Thrash777
Oct 19, 2006, 07:53 AM
What really annoys me is that it picks up on "inv" in some sentences, so when you ask "can i hav an inv?" it sometimes blocks the whole sentence!

Also, whats up with "basement"?

Rurisho
Oct 19, 2006, 08:06 AM
I ran into a guy named %^)£*%* When i asked him why he chose a swear for a name, he said "I didn't, my name's Logic. I don't know why it's censored, i've been using Logic since PSO DC"

Poor guy http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

Nilot
Oct 19, 2006, 08:08 AM
Basement = ba SEMEN t Making babies is extremely profane. I wish we could choose to filter or not =P

parabolee
Oct 19, 2006, 08:12 AM
HATE THE CENSOR!!!!!

In thought it couldn't get more anoying than the PSO censor but this is WAY worse! It's like almost every sentence you type is censored and you don't even know why! It's really appaling.

Another good reason to play on 360 if you ask me. Makes typing much more of a pain than it should be.

We should all complain to Sega about how bad this is, It's wouldn't be so bad if it didn't censor the whole sentence.

And on top of it all those that want to swear will always find ways around the censor.

February
Oct 19, 2006, 08:30 AM
They should allow the filter to be turned on and off. It's BS that they feel the need to censor a game that will probably be played by mostly adults. (Or late teens.)

Genobee
Oct 19, 2006, 08:34 AM
I remember in RO you couldn't even say Assassin but my class was an assassin, we had to call um sins

Soundfx4
Oct 19, 2006, 10:28 AM
On 2006-10-18 22:53, DrEngrish wrote:
Taking in mind that this game is "T for teen", I think that most children who are 13 years old, the age which ESRB associates with this rating level, should be able to handle a few obscene words. Don't get me wrong, it is dumb when you see people swearing for no reason but just like someone said earlier... people will find creative ways to say exactly what they want to regardless the presence of censorship...Sega should be smart enough to know this... My hope is that Sega would ease up a little bit and post something like "Game Experience May Change During Online Play" similar to what you would see on some other Internet based titles. This way, if poor Billy learns a new word while playing PSU, his mom wont go running to Sega trying to get the game shut down.

=.=.... oh yea, its all Billy's moms fault.

The game does give a warning that Game experience may change durring online play. You get that message right before you log on lol. I'm guess the ESRB requires that message to be there since when you are interacting with live people, they can say whatever they want. You know, things that would boost the rating up to M if they were actually part of the game.

Soundfx4
Oct 19, 2006, 10:32 AM
On 2006-10-18 23:12, Deathcraze wrote:
I found this really restrictive while playing the beta to be honest. PSO's censoring was at least sensible but PSU censors your whole message and often you have no idea why.

I actually went to the PSU website and used the comments and suggestions form on the beta page to stress that PSUs current filter is too aggressive and that if the censor worked more like PSOs, then that would be much more welcome. I also said a option to turn off the filter entirely would be great but I don't see that happening.

Either way you should all at least tell Sega what you think of the censor like I did even if there is only a miniscule change of Sega acting upon it, I can only imagine how potentially bad communication could be on the PS2 or PC versions due to this. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

holy crap on a stick! I didn't even think of that! I'll do that as soon as I get home from work tonight. Thanks for bringing that up.

Akaimizu
Oct 19, 2006, 10:40 AM
I still like the way SEGA is censored. Practically every way to try to say it, will get censored off. Can't put periods between the letters, nor Dashes, or Underscores. Now I know that SEGA is truly a bad word. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Still, seriously, I was a bit shocked to see SEGA censor their own name, completely. Sonic Team is ok, though.

mananas
Oct 19, 2006, 10:48 AM
I tried to make a character named Mona since that was one of my firsts on DC and it was censored... then my friend and I tried making a character named Laura Bush and it was censored. ; (
I think it's a conspiracy.

Mag_Launcher
Oct 19, 2006, 11:00 AM
Lol, return of the overzealous word filter... Had a feeling that stupid thing would come back.

Haruka-sama
Oct 19, 2006, 11:02 AM
hmm I haven't played the game yet, but the censoring sounds worse than PSO, I wish they would just get rid of it altogether, isn't there a way to blacklist people anyway? If they were just throwing out swears for no reason you could just blacklist em and hang out with people who don't do that o.O

Fleece
Oct 19, 2006, 11:22 AM
It should use this system but you press a key to reveal the swear words but you can only use said key if you have the adult login filter password.

CUNT CUNT CUNT CUNT CUNT CUNT CUNT CUNT CUNT CUNT

Akaimizu
Oct 19, 2006, 11:52 AM
On 2006-10-19 09:22, Fleece wrote:
It should use this system but you press a key to reveal the swear words but you can only use said key if you have the adult login filter password.

Maybe that would work a little better.

Ok. Adults, say it with me and say it loud -- but don't let the kids hear it -- SEGA!!!!!

Silver_Wyrm
Oct 19, 2006, 11:56 AM
On 2006-10-19 09:52, Akaimizu wrote:

On 2006-10-19 09:22, Fleece wrote:

Maybe that would work a little better.

Ok. Adults, say it with me and say it loud -- but don't let the kids hear it -- SEGA!!!!!

reported for vulgar language.

EnixBelmont
Oct 19, 2006, 12:00 PM
Well, in the japanese extra mode, my friend had no problem naming his character "Dildo". Hopefully there will be some way to turn off the filter. Some of these are just ridiculous.