PDA

View Full Version : Isn't the name "Linear Line" redundant?

FenixStryk
Oct 18, 2006, 11:08 PM
I mean, a line is something that goes in one direction for eternity, and something that's linear goes in a straight fashion, with no turns or branches. Just one way.

That's like calling a Race a Racing Race. Seriously, am I the only person to notice this?

Sev
Oct 18, 2006, 11:10 PM
I didn't even think about the name... Just sorta played the stage.

Thinking can be bad for you sometimes.

Saner
Oct 18, 2006, 11:10 PM
its a catchy name, it fits. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

-Break-
Oct 18, 2006, 11:11 PM
Linear
1. of, consisting of, or using lines: linear design.
2. pertaining to or represented by lines: linear dimensions.
3. extended or arranged in a line: a linear series.
4. involving measurement in one dimension only; pertaining to length: linear measure.
5. of or pertaining to the characteristics of a work of art in which forms and rhythms are defined chiefly in terms of line.
6. having the form of or resembling a line: linear nebulae.
7. Mathematics.
a. consisting of, involving, or describable by terms of the first degree.
b. having the same effect on a sum as on each of the summands: a linear operation.
8. Electronics. delivering an output that is directly proportional to the input: a linear circuit; a linear amplifier.
9. threadlike; narrow and elongated: a linear leaf.

I guess the name can be considered non-redundant, but it's quite a stretch.

wraith5k
Oct 18, 2006, 11:16 PM
On 2006-10-18 21:10, Saner wrote:
its a catchy name, it fits. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Agrees.

>.>

<.<

DrewSeleski
Oct 18, 2006, 11:17 PM
What about that Moatoob shop, Roar Roars..or was it Roars Roar?

Kupi
Oct 18, 2006, 11:19 PM
Also, a "line" can refer to something like a railroad "line", as in a transportation path. The "Linear Line", therefore, would be the transportation venue providing a more or less straight path from point A to point B.

Zelutos
Its just a name...

Trinitystar
On 2006-10-18 21:08, FenixStryk wrote:
I mean, a line is something that goes in one direction for eternity, and something that's linear goes in a straight fashion, with no turns or branches. Just one way.

That's like calling a Race a Racing Race. Seriously, am I the only person to notice this?

WoW I mean WoW you need this game like yesterday, your cracking up lmao come on pull yourself together you can make it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Trinitystar on 2006-10-18 21:19 ]</font>

-Shimarisu-
Oct 18, 2006, 11:20 PM
What about the mario stage Cold cold mountain? I mean if it's called cold mountain, then OBVIOUSLY it's cold, you don't have to specify! I mean, what's up with that?

Itsuki
Oct 18, 2006, 11:22 PM
On 2006-10-18 21:19, Kupi wrote:
Also, a "line" can refer to something like a railroad "line", as in a transportation path. The "Linear Line", therefore, would be the transportation venue providing a more or less straight path from point A to point B.

Kupi is right on the money. Its like a subway system on colony that has been wrecked. And the "line" in this situation refers to a train, not a geometric line.

Flame6
Oct 18, 2006, 11:24 PM
ya i always just figured it was a Line like a subway line. I think it even says so.

Valius
Oct 18, 2006, 11:25 PM
As Kupi was saying.
Line:
12. a system of public conveyances, as buses or trains, plying regularly over a fixed route: the northbound line at State Street.

Also, a line is not always straight.

2. Mathematics. a continuous extent of length, straight or curved, without breadth or thickness; the trace of a moving point.

So it is not necessarily redundant, but it does alliterate. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

-Break-
Most people know its a friggin subway, it's kind of obvious. I still think the name sounds redundant nonetheless.

Sorry if I sound like an ass but I'm doing essays for college apps and they are not fun.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: -Break- on 2006-10-18 21:26 ]</font>

FenixStryk
On 2006-10-18 21:19, Kupi wrote:Also, a "line" can refer to something like a railroad "line", as in a transportation path. The "Linear Line", therefore, would be the transportation venue providing a more or less straight path from point A to point B.True... and it IS catchy... but it just seems redundant. I know you're right, but I'll never change my views. It's just how I roll. ;p

wraith5k
Oct 18, 2006, 11:30 PM
Racing a racing race. That is fucking genious.

Eclypse
Oct 18, 2006, 11:42 PM
On 2006-10-18 21:08, FenixStryk wrote:

YO kid, you seriously need to get a hobby if you are noticing and creating topics about something completely retarded as this...........!

SpishackCola
Oct 18, 2006, 11:45 PM
The Japanese love crazy sounding redundant names. Engrish brings us all together.

Niki
Oct 19, 2006, 12:20 AM
Technically, "something that goes in one direction for eternity" is called a ray. A line can be curved.

wraith5k
Oct 19, 2006, 12:23 AM
but a ray must have a starting point. While a line doesn't.

Drown
Oct 19, 2006, 12:24 AM
I think they chose it because it has a catchy name, and it seems that it IS an accurate description of what the level is about...

FenixStryk
Oct 19, 2006, 12:53 AM
On 2006-10-18 21:42, Eclypse wrote:YO kid, you seriously need to get a hobby if you are noticing and creating topics about something completely retarded as this...........!Uh, no offense, but I'm surprised you have ~730 posts on PSOW with an attitude like that. Keep it up, and I'll hold a party when you get a nice stern talking to.