PDA

View Full Version : Mobs ?

Grr
Oct 19, 2006, 04:55 AM
So we (360s) have had a chance to beat on some baddies in the beta and i must ask , what are your impressions of the monsters so far ? and Im talking normal monsters here , Bosses are great fun and Rappy Sightings/Beatings make us go "wow" when we see them , but lets here it for the countless other guys we beat for a shot at those encounters

I must say i like the choice of enemies ive seen so far and as a special note id like to add a few winners in a few categories that stand out

1. Favorite take downs : Poravohlla : (get behind , wait for stomp, back off, run in behind while it rest from stomp , rising strike ,it flips over , switch to spear , combo x3, Dus Dagas, run before it gets up and stomps again, even as a ranger , tons of fun to do solo)

2. Most annoying : Goushin: if your not paying attention to where these are, they always end up under you and you end up hurt with lowered attack power. reminds me of slimes from PSO.

3. Best death noise : Distoba : Here piggy, piggy.

4. Drama queen : Shagreeth. kill one of these while its gliding low and watch how it dies. show-offs.

What are some of your favorites/most hated ?

Zato-2TWO
Oct 19, 2006, 05:02 AM
This is an entirely off-topic question, but relates to the topic title.

Why is it that monsters/enemies in MMO's are referred to as "mobs" when in single portions? It's like, on WoW I'd be with a group, and someone would say "mob coming" and I'd be all OH SHITE, but it's only ONE enemy. I thought 'mob' usually denoted a GROUP of enemies? Is the word monster/enemy/baddie too long for the internet to handle?

Grr
Oct 19, 2006, 05:06 AM
I have No idea to be completely honest , however , it is less letters for people to type, and laziness more often than not is supreme.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Grr on 2006-10-19 03:09 ]</font>

Ether
Oct 19, 2006, 05:12 AM
On 2006-10-19 03:02, Zato-2TWO wrote:
Why is it that monsters/enemies in MMO's are referred to as "mobs" when in single portions?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mob_%28computer_gaming%29

Basically it stands for Mobile Object

Grr
Oct 19, 2006, 05:14 AM
*claps hands at ether* clever. Now , what do you like to stab/shoot/blowup ?

Zato-2TWO
Oct 19, 2006, 05:17 AM
That was refreshingly enlightening. Thank you for clearing that up for my poor confused mind.

Ether
Oct 19, 2006, 05:21 AM
1. Favorite take downs : Goushin. These guys are cake with an ice rifle, I love freezing then shooting them to death because they are so annoying to hunters

2. Most annoying : Kotova, assuming those are the big piggies. They have absurdly high HP on B and A rank

3. Best death noise : The temple boss (not in beta)

Grr
Oct 19, 2006, 05:25 AM
You and your not in beta. I cry a little on the inside, and yes , freezing those Goushin does feel rather nice. Anything frozen mid-attack generally gets a laugh and a step back to admire the pose, and then several more rounds to the face area.