PDA

View Full Version : PSU: Anti-aliasing question

AquaFlare7
Oct 19, 2006, 07:10 PM
I know from experience that because of the way PSU launches and hides itself from the Operating System that the anti-aliasing functions of video cards will not work. Because I have done more playing than researching I was wondering if anyone has been able to force anti-aliasing yet?

Saphion
Oct 19, 2006, 07:32 PM
I hope so, it seriously annoys me sometimes, especially when running on lower resolutions.

Although seeing as they implemented mip-mapping in the last update, here's hoping it'll get added in the future if nobody has figured it out yet!

Diablohead
Oct 19, 2006, 07:35 PM
I was hoping to force AA when I get my copy, hope this is possible still.

Saphion
Oct 20, 2006, 06:47 PM
Bump for great justice!

Shanira
Oct 27, 2006, 12:55 PM
Anyone know how to fix this yet? I actually had to go through the trouble of rolling back the horrible 91.xx nVidia drivers to 84.xx to even be able to create a profile to force PSU's settings. I could force on anisotropic filtering, thank god, but FSAA seems to be failing. Odd things to note though:

1. If I take a screenshot from within the game it is anti aliassed. But that might be a function of the game's screenshot capabilities to "pretty things up".
2. If I take a normal windows clipboard screenshot I have stray pixels here and there which cannot be explained by anything than AA as far as I can tell. But they're so sparse and inconsistent it's still full of jaggies.

Maybe I shouldn't care so much, but dangit I paid a fortune for a state of the art computer and it won't even let me AA! Personally, I think gameguard is behind this for some reason. Programs like that are never any good for not messing with things people don't want messed with.

uhawww
Oct 27, 2006, 12:57 PM
So far in our effort, we have been unable to get any discernable AA to apply.
There have been many attempts to do so with the JP version, and due to registry similarity, NA version has that same nuance.
Upping AF does improve the textures a bit, but AA still isn't taking.

Shanira
Oct 27, 2006, 01:08 PM
Yeah, AF is apparantly very important in this game to improve visual quality. The first time I booted up story mode (I haven't messed with getting an account yet for reasons below) I looked at the water only a couple feet from my character and it was all blocky and hideous. Anisotropic filtering basically fixes that right away.

Ah well, I expected as much to get these problems with a PS2 game port.

And the reason I haven't made an account yet is because I'm one of those crazy super impatient europeans. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

I'm actually unsure about a great deal of things, including wether I can make an account at all, and most importantly wether US/EU will even be able to play together. Because if they can't (which would annoy me greatly) there's not much sense in making an account yet; I'll never see a living soul online anyhow.

pkazama
Oct 27, 2006, 01:13 PM
US and EU can play together. It's just some EU players may have trouble getting a GL

Shanira
Oct 27, 2006, 01:20 PM
Thanks for the prompt replies. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif I just found a wikipage detailing getting a license as an importer, I'll be trying that, as the main character is already starting to make me want to choke him to death. >_>

novous
Oct 27, 2006, 01:23 PM
As far as Anti-Aliasing is concerned, the reason it does not work is explained in part here: http://boards2.sega.com/psu_board/viewtopic.php?t=2747

For those of you who do not want to read through that page and a half post: it is due to the way the game engine was designed. An easy way to explain it is that the 2D and 3D graphics are rendered at different layers. As a result; when turning on AA it will smooth out the text and menu textures, but not the 3D ones.

This is similar to how FFXI handled it, and I believe there was eventually some success with it. (If I am not mistaken). I wonder if the same method can be used here, if it exists?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: novous on 2006-10-27 11:25 ]</font>

uhawww
Oct 27, 2006, 01:58 PM
Ahh...thanks for straightening that out.
I was wonder why the AA/AF options were only manipulatting the Menu and text.
Well then, I'll leave well enough alone.