PDA

View Full Version : question ps2 and Hardrive

Silver_Wyrm
Oct 19, 2006, 08:30 PM
so I'm getting it for ps2, and I have a model 1 ps2 with the hardrive, my friend told me the game may not be compatible with the hardrive. I was thinking "wtf are you talking about?" but decided to come ask here anyways to be safe...so it is...right? O.o

edit: spelling

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Silver_Wyrm on 2006-10-19 18:31 ]</font>

KazuKun
Oct 19, 2006, 08:31 PM
Unfortunately, your friend is right. Phantasy Star Universe does not support the hard drive.

Silver_Wyrm
Oct 19, 2006, 08:32 PM
On 2006-10-19 18:31, KazuKun wrote:
Unfortunately, your friend is right. Phantasy Star Universe does not support the hard drive.

so its not...compatible with it at all? then how are updates supposed ot fit ona single memory card, even if empty on use?

McLaughlin
Oct 19, 2006, 08:34 PM
Not compatible in the least. Sega can have fun with only 8 MB of space XD

Silver_Wyrm
Oct 19, 2006, 08:36 PM
On 2006-10-19 18:34, Zeta wrote:

I fail to see their logic...well in the very least my friend is getting the comp version after my comps updated a little I can sue his cd's to install and then just use my account.

still failing to see their logic...how odd and stupid. 8mblol

AlphaMinotaux
Oct 19, 2006, 08:44 PM
cant ya just take off the hardrive and play like that? Or is PSU not compatible with the 1st PS2

McLaughlin
Oct 19, 2006, 08:46 PM
On 2006-10-19 18:36, Silver_Wyrm wrote:

I fail to see their logic...well in the very least my friend is getting the comp version after my comps updated a little I can sue his cd's to install and then just use my account.

No, you'd need a separate Activation Key. You'll have to buy the PC game like everyone else.

Rhyv
Oct 19, 2006, 08:46 PM
well ur able to use the HDD as a memory card so couldnt it be used as one instead.... well u can put saved data on it is wat i mean

Silver_Wyrm
Oct 19, 2006, 08:51 PM
On 2006-10-19 18:46, Zeta wrote:

No, you'd need a separate Activation Key. You'll have to buy the PC game like everyone else.

eh I was told by these forums that if you buy the ps2 version you can also get a download code, just you only get to have the one key for one account

Blackwaltz-R
Oct 19, 2006, 08:55 PM
The reason they can do this is because PSU is NOT an MMO, if it were then they would need to issue much larger updates but sine the scale of this game is comparably smaller and focused more on novelty, they cna manage.

McLaughlin
Oct 19, 2006, 09:05 PM
On 2006-10-19 18:51, Silver_Wyrm wrote:

On 2006-10-19 18:46, Zeta wrote:

eh I was told by these forums that if you buy the ps2 version you can also get a download code, just you only get to have the one key for one account

They're two different keys. They aren't universal (no pun intended). PC codes won't work on PS2 and vice versa.

Priest
Oct 19, 2006, 09:10 PM
But they said they would be doing updates of weapons and clothes, and i just cant see how they would fit that on a memory card. Plus when the expansion comes out, how will they build that data on top of the original game?

Silver_Wyrm
Oct 19, 2006, 09:12 PM
I dont see any reason as to why I can't "log in" on a pc if I have a ps2 version, they are merged afterall, when I boguht ffxi for ps2, I used my key on a computer as well as a ps2, was able to log in both and use both with the one account. unless this game binds a single computer to a single account which would be kinda silly..

McLaughlin
Oct 19, 2006, 09:15 PM
It doesn't bind 1 account to one computer. It binds the Activation Key to the computer. The PS2's Activation Key serves a different purpose, and thusly, cannot be used on a PC.

Silver_Wyrm
Oct 19, 2006, 09:20 PM
On 2006-10-19 19:15, Zeta wrote:
It doesn't bind 1 account to one computer. It binds the Activation Key to the computer. The PS2's Activation Key serves a different purpose, and thusly, cannot be used on a PC.

if one computer can log onto multiple accounts, I could sue someone elses computer cd's to install activate etc. whatever, then use my account to log in. If this does not work, please explain why.

if an activation key is "one time use" then a computer that gets reformatted would be screwed an dhave ot buy a new game, so I dont see that working

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Silver_Wyrm on 2006-10-19 19:21 ]</font>

McLaughlin
Oct 19, 2006, 09:24 PM
Well, I don't see Sega being stupid enough to allow people to DL the game from their site and then borrow a Key, allowing them to play without paying for the game.

Silver_Wyrm
Oct 19, 2006, 09:27 PM
On 2006-10-19 19:24, Zeta wrote:
Well, I don't see Sega being stupid enough to allow people to DL the game from their site and then borrow a Key, allowing them to play without paying for the game.

Im buying the game, somethign wrogn with playing on either system? either way its bought, being payed for etc. its not making multiple accounts, or allowing people who havent bought it to play it.

sscaff1
Oct 19, 2006, 09:27 PM
I don't understand how the heck they are going to do updates for the PS2/PC servers either....? I mean I see it for the 360 version since I don't know a single person that doesn't have a harddrive for the 360. Since the PS2/PC servers are linked, however, the PS2 will limit the updates Sega puts out. And I'm sure they won't give the 360 version extra stuff just because they can. I'm so confused as to how this is going to work.

AlphaMinotaux
Oct 19, 2006, 09:34 PM
On 2006-10-19 19:24, Zeta wrote:

huh? say i buy the game. i need the activation key given w/ the game to create my account with my characters. My friend wants to borrow my account to see how a high lvl hunter plays for example. i give him the info and he can log into it just with providing the account info. No activation Key is required to install the game.

Eviltaru
Oct 19, 2006, 09:41 PM
How the helll they going to do update with a lil memory of 8MB that's pretty bulls***, why the hell we're paying them $9.99 monthly to be honest... I don't really care about it much but still when I pay someone I wish to get good updates and good service in return ... like FFXI & WOW we paid for what we deserve and they fullfilled their duty with monthly updates ... c'mon is Sega trying to make some easy money off us?

Cause I'll be getting the PC version but expect to have updates and new contents .. fighthing the same old monster over and over "uh uh" no thanks! ... I ain't loving this .... since PC and PS2 are connected & we're going to share pretty much the same thing!

So from what I see, basically $9.99 for keeping the server up and paying off those lazy fat ass GM that doesn't really help! At least until there's a new expansion that comes out with PS2 Hard Drive compatible! Until then I don't really see how PS2 are getting new stuff~ since their connected with only an 8MB memory drive >.<'''

AlphaMinotaux
Oct 19, 2006, 09:45 PM
On 2006-10-19 19:41, Eviltaru wrote:
How the helll they going to do update with a lil memory of 8MB that's pretty bulls***, why the hell we're paying them $9.99 monthly to be honest... I don't really care about it much but still when I pay someone I wish to get good updates and good service in return ... like FFXI & WOW we paid for what we deserve and they fullfilled their duty with monthly updates ... c'mon is Sega trying to make some easy money off us?

Cause I'll be getting the PC version but expect to have updates and new contents .. fighthing the same old monster over and over "uh uh" no thanks! ... I ain't loving this .... since PC and PS2 are connected & we're going to share pretty much the same thing!

So from what I see, basically $9.99 for keeping the server up and paying off those lazy fat ass GM that doesn't really help! At least until there's a new expansion that comes out with PS2 Hard Drive compatible! Until then I don't really see how PS2 are getting new stuff~ since their connected with only an 8MB memory drive >.<'''

WoW had the shittiest server upkeep ever. Try doing endgame raids only to have the server crash or lag so terrible everyone stopped moving. This is daily i might add :/ Anyway New Quests and stuff are saved Server Side, they have to be loaded up before starting it.

Silver_Wyrm
Oct 19, 2006, 09:49 PM
On 2006-10-19 19:45, AlphaMinotaux wrote:

WoW had the shittiest server upkeep ever. Try doing endgame raids only to have the server crash or lag so terrible everyone stopped moving. This is daily i might add :/ Anyway New Quests and stuff are saved Server Side, they have to be loaded up before starting it.

Im a current endgame raider and have done so for a year, only had that happen twice.

AlphaMinotaux
Oct 19, 2006, 09:51 PM
u Sir have been lucky with the server you picked, i left 2 servers because of the lag. 3rd one was the charm for me.

Eviltaru
Oct 19, 2006, 09:51 PM
On 2006-10-19 19:45, AlphaMinotaux wrote:

Ah! Thanks for clearing me on that =)

Mag_Launcher
Oct 19, 2006, 09:59 PM
It's because theres no actual downloaded content. All of it's just locked away on the disc (except for quests, those are server-side and can be created whenever), and all they mostly do is server-side updates that make said content accessible. PSU might take a chunk of the memory card for minor glitch/exploit fixes, as I believe Everquest: Online Adventures did this by using a 3MB file that served as a "patch" of sorts.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mag_Launcher on 2006-10-19 20:02 ]</font>

OgSoulja
Oct 19, 2006, 10:11 PM
Updates dont really take much space.....I played EqoA an MMO may i add with an expansion frontiers, and all they needed was 3mb of space. The reason you really dont need alot of space is cuz sega has their own servers where the update is saved on their server. The memory card is just so u can log onto their server so basically picture like this, sega's server is just a BIG memory card for us. Just like EQ and Sony's server.