PDA

View Full Version : What's this about people saying PSU is boring?

Zarode
Oct 19, 2006, 11:32 PM
Can I get some facts? What verison were they playing? Did they know what they were doing? etc etc. I wanna hear the truth before I decide to buy this game. I love PSO to death, and if PSU is a lot like PSO, then I'm happy.

But seriously, what gives? Can I get some answers, please?

Phalynx
Oct 19, 2006, 11:34 PM
Some people find the repitition boring im sure, ive been bored with repetative games before. But I find myself amazed at how addictive PSO and PSU are. The game just has that feel to it, makes me love playing the same things over and over.

Hajile
Oct 19, 2006, 11:38 PM
I would figure most of the "PSU is borning" complaints are comming from people who imported the JP version , and played it to death offline with a language barrier x.x

Fleece
Oct 19, 2006, 11:41 PM
Yeah on your own it can get pretty boring but on the other hand i hate single player games and i made it upto chapter 7 before i got bored.

Phalynx
Oct 19, 2006, 11:42 PM
Ive been playing the JP version offline, and the language problems just make me want it more! Its addictive in japanese, and when I know what everything is, its gonna be even better.

Bleemo
Oct 19, 2006, 11:42 PM
PSU has a lot of tediousness. You will often do the same mission over and over again until you're a high enough level to do another mission over and over again. Which some people will undoubtedly find boring.

As I've stated before, PSU for the most part is meant for social interactions. If you don't find others to play with, you're never really going to enjoy the game to the fullest.

Nani-chan
Oct 19, 2006, 11:43 PM
Well I hope people won't be in a rush to get rares and unlock jobs and then get bored after they reach those goals.

Zarode
Oct 19, 2006, 11:43 PM
On 2006-10-19 21:38, Hajile wrote:
I would figure most of the "PSU is borning" complaints are comming from people who imported the JP version , and played it to death offline with a language barrier x.x

That's exactly what I was thinking, but I didn't want to jump to such conclusions until I started to hear some more theories/answers.

Flunky
Oct 19, 2006, 11:45 PM
I could see people saying that about the 360 beta, personally.

There's only 7 missions, not counting the different ranks. Much of the customization/PM such isn't as appealing for some knowing that it's going to get deleted (and, of course, a lot of the customization stuff just isn't there yet).

That said, I still feel there's a bunch to do. Though there's only seven missions, there's a goodly number of different enemy setups and block setups about. The 2 minibosses are kinda interesting, and the two big bosses are superb in feel. There's a bunch of different weaponry and spells to try.

The full version has me waiting with bated breath. Not to say I'm bored with the 360 beta, though... only reason I'm not playing it right now is because the blasted campus network sometimes doesn't let me connect to live.

Zarode
Oct 19, 2006, 11:46 PM
On 2006-10-19 21:42, Bleemo wrote:
PSU has a lot of tediousness. You will often do the same mission over and over again until you're a high enough level to do another mission over and over again. Which some people will undoubtedly find boring.

Don't even touch BB then, because it's a lot alike...

As I've stated before, PSU for the most part is meant for social interactions. If you don't find others to play with, you're never really going to enjoy the game to the fullest.

lol Phantasy Star Online or any other Mass Multiplayer Online game...

Bleemo
Oct 19, 2006, 11:51 PM
On 2006-10-19 21:46, Zarode wrote:

lol Phantasy Star Online or any other Mass Multiplayer Online game...

People often misunderstand what I mean by that comment, probably because I don't elaborate on it enough. Let me do so:

There is not much content at all on PSU, not enough to play it alone and be satisfied. You can only play it as a game for so long before it simply gets out-right boring unlike other games where there is a load of content and things you can do on your own. Therefore, unless you find players to shoot the shit with while you're playing the same mission over and over again, you're not going to enjoy PSU at all.

And I played all previous PSO, I'm aware that PSU is extremely similar to PSO in this aspect.

Zarode
Oct 19, 2006, 11:53 PM
Bleemo, which verison are you playing? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

If it is the 360 Beta, I should beat you with the nearest Quote Cannon...

Bleemo
Oct 19, 2006, 11:57 PM
On 2006-10-19 21:53, Zarode wrote:
Bleemo, which verison are you playing? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

If it is the 360 Beta, I should beat you with the nearest Quote Cannon...

Leave the insults at home kiddie, there isn't a need for them.

Simply tell me what you didn't understand about my post or what you disagree with.

Ether
Oct 19, 2006, 11:59 PM
The 360 beta has 95% of the content that the Japanese version had for its first month. The only thing that's missing are the Shikon and Hakura areas, which only makes up 3 missions.

Zarode
Oct 19, 2006, 11:59 PM
The part where you arn't telling me which verison of PSU you have played.

Zarode
Oct 20, 2006, 12:02 AM
So, online mode, from what Ether is saying, is fairly shallow. Is this it for the game, or are they going to keep feeding us updates?

Bleemo
Oct 20, 2006, 12:02 AM
On 2006-10-19 21:59, Zarode wrote:
The part where you arn't telling me which verison of PSU you have played.

360 Beta.

Really, your point?

Zarode
Oct 20, 2006, 12:04 AM
No need to flame-bait. Maybe I didn't know everything from every stand point. Gasp, that must have been the reason why I was asking...

Bleemo
Oct 20, 2006, 12:06 AM
On 2006-10-19 22:04, Zarode wrote:
No need to flame-bait. Maybe I didn't know everything from every stand point. Gasp, that must have been the reason why I was asking...

From your previous post I just assumed you were trying to pick a fight with me.

My apologies for misunderstanding.

Saikyn
Oct 20, 2006, 01:52 AM
On 2006-10-19 21:42, Bleemo wrote:

amen

Wallin
Oct 20, 2006, 02:22 AM
The 'problem' right now most people will find with PSU beta at least is that there's no goal, and though I haven't played the full game I assume that it would be the same.

I played PSO for 2 or 3 years, it's definitely not a game you play solo. There is nothing more boring than sitting in front of your TV for hours repeatedly pressing the red button so you can swing your saber in the same three swings, have the enemy hit you once, and then you do it over again. And unfortunately there's nothing substantial motivating you besides reading creepy Rico messages the whole way, only to get to the end and be like, "Oh, hey, that's it... now I can do it all over again on Hard mode... OMG..."

But the best thing about this game is, of course, the other people. Most of the 360 people are cool, but you people out there who leave your microphone on and just BREATHE INTO IT FOR THE WHOLE LEVEL, gahhhh... so yeah, if you can find really cool friends to play with, hopefully lots of them or a few who play all the time, it's tons of fun. I had many fun times screaming 'squiddy!' and making sushi comments in the Seabase in ep. 2. Oh to be young again...

PSU at least has special attacks and will allow you to change your classes for a very reasonable fee (I paid only 950 at level 15 to change classes). As long as you have friends and you're open to change, you'll never get bored... you'll just get really ansty and twitch a lot waiting for the beta to end so it will stop tempting you and it will hurt less when they wipe all your characters and you have to start all over when the retail finally comes out. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Wallin on 2006-10-20 00:23 ]</font>

ProfessorZ
Oct 20, 2006, 02:23 AM
I burned myself out on it. Making a new character brought the addiction back

DoubleJG
Oct 20, 2006, 02:50 AM
If you are afraid of there not being enough content, then simply do NOT buy this game until about a year from now. By then, many more missions, items, etc. will be unlocked and added to the online mode. If someone were to start playing then instead of right away, it would seem like there was an abundance of missions and whatnot to tackle compared to the people who start right away, where we'll see it as "old boring stuff, newer and non-burnt out stuff." I'll be playing from the getgo and have no worries of being burnt out simply because I'll only be logging 3 hours (approx.) a day on PSU, so, I'll be pacing myself.

Ryogen
Oct 20, 2006, 02:55 AM
It's mostly people who got a hacked version or imported. They can't read a darn thing so all they do is grinding. Us 360 players are fightng, talking, buying clothers, playing around, partying, READING, etc. I could have imported becuase I can read Kanji, but to see others get bored of the game playing in a language they don't understand when I understand it is sad.

ShadowDragon28
Oct 20, 2006, 03:05 AM
I'm only going online a.s.a.p *IF* the Halloween stuff is up, and can hunt for HalloRappies.

If the Halloween stuff isn't up, I'll be having fun with Storymode and once I have Extra mode unlocked well play it for a while, then I'll go online.
Excessive play might get a bit repeatative, pacing oneself just a bit will help I think.
I paced myself with PSO, and I never got bored with it.

Challenge Mode, Nightmare quests, and quests where fun, my favs were Circle of Fire(?) (on DC) and the Night's quest on the GC. East Tower and West Tower were fun and *tough*, dang those where great.

I think PSU will in time have good and fun quests like those too. All is needed is patience. PSU is not a race IMO.

I only got "bored" with the immature kiddies loitering around the lobbies. Oh and many people I knew left PSO GC after 3 yrs-ish. They might of went to PSO:BB, but my PC could never run the game. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

physic
Oct 20, 2006, 03:51 AM
truth is, its somewhat boring, online mode if it is like the jp version will start off with absolutely no story or explanation of why your doing anything, and you will be given a few missions to repeat over and over again until you reach a specific level so you can do the next mission. This is not the entirety of the game, but it will be all there is for some time until we start getting regular good new content. but until that time, the game itself wont be too exciting, offline mode will in fact be a lot funner, even in another language.
Other pso's you could go as far as your skill could take you for the most part, forest mines caves ruins vh hard ult. challenge etc.
Basically if your not hangin with peoples, it will be fun, then boring for awhile till new content gets released, depending how much and how often and what will decide how boring or not boring the game is after that.

AnamanaAU
Oct 20, 2006, 03:59 AM
PSO got boring, PSU will get boring with time. Unfortunatly, when there's only set sections of land to explore, games do get boring. If it had a full world like FFXI, WoW or UO, then maybe you'd get a little less bored. But RPGs in general get boring after so long.

Undubbed
Oct 20, 2006, 04:05 AM
Knowing myself I probably won't even spent half the time I spent with FFXI(any FFXI player will probably know why).

I do get bored and when I get bored I try my best to see if there's any more scractches of peanut butter in that jar thar.

And if that fails that's when I quit.

Oyako
Oct 20, 2006, 04:10 AM
I loved PSO but I got a little bored of PSU's online aspect.. I liked how it was before, you did Mission A, B, ect. then you fought the boss. You would then Unlock the next stage.

But here you just enter a mission, fight to the end, rest, enter the next mission, fight to the end, kill boss, repeat till your a high enough level. Nothing is truely "unlocked" mission wise unless you count the minimum lvl req for some missions.

I dont know, maybe to me in PSO a Boss felt like a Boss but in PSU a Boss just feels like a slightly tougher monster. However, it must be noted that I am just talking about the 360 beta, not the Japanese version T_T so I take what I say lightly. I still found that lvling, gaining new items/upgrades, feeding your PM, lvling your weapon skills, and ultimately the fun of playing with other people is what is probably going to keep me playing..... and why I'm switching to the PC version on the 24/25th http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

ShadowDragon28
Oct 20, 2006, 04:11 AM
It's strange, I never got bored with PSO, ever; and I played it since vers.1 on the DreamCast. *shrugs*

The only games I got bored with was Fire Emblem on the GC, and Enter the Matrix (Being a hardcore fan of the Matrix trilogy, I wanted to enjoy it, but it got to annoying to play IMO).
And fighting games, I get bored with them very quickly.

Elleranda
Oct 20, 2006, 04:14 AM
On 2006-10-20 02:11, ShadowDragon28 wrote:
It's strange, I never got bored with PSO, ever; and I played it since vers.1 on the DreamCast. *shrugs*

The only games I got bored with was Fire Emblem on the GC, and Enter the Matrix (Being a hardcore fan of the Matrix trilogy, I wanted to enjoy it, but it got to annoying to play IMO).

Same here. I made a level 200 hunter, got a ton of rares, then started over as a force. Just something about it that keeps me from getting bored.

lolichan
Oct 20, 2006, 04:25 AM
playing the beta i can see how it can get boring pretty fast..i can hardly play 2 missions now without getting bored out of my mind..i wish they brought a different approach for psu, such as a full compact world (like ffxi) and not everything instanced except lobbies..oh well, still gonna buy it when it comes out and hope they fix a few things in future updates.

a guild system would be great, along with pvp and maybe some major bosses that take more than 6 people and a lot of strategy with good rewards

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: lolichan on 2006-10-20 02:26 ]</font>

Draugar
Oct 20, 2006, 04:33 AM
On 2006-10-20 02:11, ShadowDragon28 wrote:

I currently own three versions of PSO 1-2 and episode 3, some might consider it a waste of money but I have gotten so many hours of enjoyment from them

On Topic, I think with all MMO's there is a "level lull" where you are stuck between not getting enough exp to progress from your current missions and too low to progress to the next level, The Matrix online was a prime example of this, level 25 is when it started and you didnt see out of it until 35/40, the key is perciverance and patience

AnamanaAU
Oct 20, 2006, 04:50 AM
On 2006-10-20 02:33, Draugar wrote:
On Topic, I think with all MMO's there is a "level lull" where you are stuck between not getting enough exp to progress from your current missions and too low to progress to the next level, The Matrix online was a prime example of this, level 25 is when it started and you didnt see out of it until 35/40, the key is perciverance and patience

Wait, wait, wait.. People PLAYED The Matrix Online? This is news to me.

Draugar
Oct 20, 2006, 04:54 AM
On 2006-10-20 02:50, JubeiSaotome wrote:

On 2006-10-20 02:33, Draugar wrote:

Wait, wait, wait.. People PLAYED The Matrix Online? This is news to me.

Quiet you http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif