PDA

View Full Version : PSU VS. FFXI. A lecture. Part 2.

wraith5k
Oct 19, 2006, 11:49 PM
****DISCLAIMER**** If you have a short attention span, no sense of sarcasm, are a spy for the french, or maybe don't know what satire means, skip to the bottom. Or just go elsewhere. Seriously, this one is long. You're best off leaving now. ****DISCLAIMER****

You've been warned (Seriously, I'll probably won't get out of class untill after this is already moved, I'll never get to see your well thought out flames)

The first one is in FKL btw. If you read that for 5 seconds it will be hard to mistake this for somethin else. There is also a dedication to some of the cool people there too. (It's the last post)

LAAAASSSST CHANCE

Welcome back to the second (and hopefully not last) lecture highlighting the differences between PSU, and the waaaaay better FFXI. Because some people don't get it. This topic we'll be going into the next thing you do after creating a character, choosing a class!

In PSU you have a paltry 3 classes to choose from (initially). None of them particularly new or interesting, but cover all the bases well enough.

Hunters - Basic melee class. Can use all melee weapons for the most part. A novel idea, but where is the specialization? This class alone makes psu and FFXI two completely different games.

Ranger - Your basic ranged class. You can use a variety of guns, but no good ol' fashioned bows and arrows? WTF?

Force - Nondescript mage. Casts magic with wands. Can heal, deal damage, and buff teammates! This is a broken class that needs to be nerfed. (and if there is one thing we learned from FFXI nerfing enhances gameplay and makes the community happier as a whole.)

Next, you have your expert class. There are seven of them. A respectable number if you've only played Diablo 2, but nothing compared to FFXI. These classes hamper gampley further as they are all capable of oing the same thing. Damage.

Fortefighter - A guy who's forte is fighting. What a cool name that leaves me wondering what this class specializes in. NOT!!! They can use all of the melee weapons even better than a hunter, naturally making a hunter useless. Way to go and make one of your classes totally useless sega. Who is gonna be a hunter if you can be a fortefighter! You can even use ranger bullets! BLASPHEMY.

Fortegunner - Even better with guns than a ranger? I'm shocked! Why is a ranger in the game if you can just use guns better as a fortegunner?

Fortecher - Why not just call your super god class a FORTEtecher? This class can deal damage, heal, and suppoert other classes better than all the classes. With no weaknesses!

Figunner - A fighter/gunner? Man they really have to spell it out for you with these names. This class is a hunter and a ranger combined, but with doublesabers! Thank you sega for making two classes useless by adding one.

Guntecher - Fortechers can already use lvl 30 bullets according to PSUpedia. Why is this class here?

Wartecher - Spells and melee? Are you effin nuts?

Protranser - "I like traps" (quoted from that guy who made that one poll about advanced classes) because that about sums up protranser. I don't even think they can use normal weapons.

And to think that each race has the option to play any of these classes and maybe even be good with them! Where is the specialization? Where is the teamwork? Who ever heard of a generic hunter healing themselves? With items noless! That's just cheating! (alas this is carrying over into gameplay, an article which may or may not be written later.)

Ahhh, and this brings us to FFXI's eighteen totally original and different classes you may play as. Each of FFXI's classes serves it's own unique role, and brings it's own set of tools to the party to assist in dissecting thousands of small blue crabs! (Once again, another article.) To give PSU a chance, I'll try and break the classes into groups. Not that you can categorize these classes. Nope, not by a longshot.

Damage Dealers.

Warrior

Thief - After you miraculously get to lvl 15, you can play as a sneak thief who can hit his opponent really goddamn hard in the back! And he can steal things, run fast, and go invisible! For abilities unseen in the PSU.

Blackmage - Mage specialization #1 (take notes sega) this job can do stupid damage with spells, and depending on your subjob (and if your a tarutaru or not) heal in a pinch! And do you see black mages in any other game? Of course not! (disregard the other 11 FF games >.>)

Darkknight - My personal favorite class! You can inflict pain upon enemies with greatswords or scythes! You can cast 3 magic spells! (3 that people won't laugh at you for casting that is.) At level 60 you get to take a break and get thief up to lvl 37! Hope you have a gilfarmer friend n_n.

Dragoon - This class deals damage with spears, and has a pet dragon! Dragoons also have a meaningful jump! Unheard of in PSU! And if you like waiting on parties, boy this isn't the class for you! Dragoons are fucking party magnets and are more coveted in a party than a whm and brd combined.

Monk - Monks deal damage with their fists - totally unique from other classes! One of the 2 dd classes that hit more than once an hour! Not bad, but most of us sane people love waiting.

Samurai - Samurai's deal damage with great katanas! (where are the katanas PSU?) and are the only class that can use them (realistically) What else makes them special? Skillchaining by themselves every 2 hours! (more in gameplay)

Ranger - Rangers deal damage...expedite pain with bows, crossbows, and guns! The way a ranger should! All from 2 feet away! They can outdamage at least 7 warriors using their 2 hours on a a good day! Only requirement? Paying extra money to 3rd parties (not for gil. of course not for gil) on top of the subcription fee. Worth it!

Healing Classes.

Whitemages - Commonly referred to as lifetream. Whitemages are vital to any party's success! Not only can they heal, but they can teleport the party! (PSU has no teleporting, another glaring difference) Want to wield that club and kick some thickshell tail? Go for it! What's the party gonna do? Heal themselves?

Any magejob subbing Whm - Commonly reffered to as "There aren't any Whm searching http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif. But I found this guy." as healers, they are inherently vital to the parties success. Wish they were a whm though.

Tanking classes.

Paladin - The whiteknights! As a tanking job, these guys are also very important to a party! Through use of healing spells and rude gestures, Paladins make sure noone but themselves are hit. PSU? Doesn't even have a hate system.

Ninja - Same thing as paladins but they don't get hit either. So clearly better in every regard. Did I mention ninja's are FFXI exclusive in the mmo world? Because they are. >_>

Support classes. None of these in PSU anywhere.

Summoner - To play this class correctly, you and 18 other people (or one redmage) have to beat the game twice. Then you can play as one helluva a supporting class! Summoning ancient gods and titans to buff the party and then get the hell outta dodge so you'll have mp left over for much needed cures!

Redmage - Refresh bot in parties. God when subbing ninja.

Bard - Ah probably the most wanted of the supporting classes. Bards can turn even the most haphazardly thrown together group (war, war, war, war, war, brd) into a finely tuned exp augering machine with just a few songs! Singing in an mmo? Tell me that's ingenuity!

Corsair - The swashbuckling pirate! Totally new in the mmo world! And not like bard at all as their skills are based on luck! Have you ever seen THAT before? This makes playing with a corsair delightfully random everytime!

Misc. I'm not sure anymore. These guys serve some higher purpose. I'm not sure what it is, but it's there (help me out!)

Warriors - Can use all weapons competently, but you'll only need to use different forms of axes. Can't really damage. Can't really tank. I guess it's kind of like a hunter from PSU. But it's better since it's in FFXI.

Bluemage - This job can take and deal damage about 1/2 as good as a tank or damage class for a few levels, but then ...I dunno (Help me out!)

Pupetteer. Seriously, I can't joke about this one. I have no idea why this job is here, or what square was thinking. Sarcasm aside for now.

And there you have it folks, more obvious differences between FFXI, and PSU, because you don't see any class in the same game. FFXI's ranger is much different and better than PSU's.

End. Once again I hope a few of you enjoyed reading that at least a little bit. I got a little burnt out at the end because FFXI has so many goddamn classes. I tried to tone down the profanity too as someone mentioned it bothered them. If anyone else can think of something to add to this PM me and I'll add it and give you teh credits. Assuming I'm not banned after this one, and a few people like this one, I'm gonna do gameplay differences (which will probably be the best http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif) later.

If you skipped start reading here

sat‧ire  /ˈsætaɪər/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[sat-ahyuhr] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1. the use of irony, sarcasm, ridicule, or the like, in exposing, denouncing, or deriding vice, folly, etc.
2. a literary composition, in verse or prose, in which human folly and vice are held up to scorn, derision, or ridicule.
3. a literary genre comprising such compositions.
[Origin: 1500–10; < L satira, var. of satura medley, perh. fem. deriv. of satur sated (see saturate)]

see that? ^ I know it may have a few big words for some of you, but the above work is satire. As in I'm kidding. Or not being serious. I sincerely hope noone reads this part before it get's sent to FKL because stupid people do make things funnier.

Ether
Oct 19, 2006, 11:52 PM
Sigh

MrConstipated
Oct 19, 2006, 11:58 PM
didn't read.

Nani-chan
Oct 19, 2006, 11:59 PM
We don't take kindly to flame baiting in these parts.
The only acceptable baiting is Master.

zemog
Oct 20, 2006, 12:02 AM
On 2006-10-19 21:49, wraith5k wrote:
****DISCLAIMER**** If you have a short attention span, no sense of sarcasm, are a spy for the french, or maybe don't know what satire means, skip to the bottom. Or just go elsewhere. Seriously, this one is long. You're best off leaving now. ****DISCLAIMER****

You've been warned (Seriously, I'll probably won't get out of class untill after this is already moved, I'll never get to see your well thought out flames)

The first one is in FKL btw. If you read that for 5 seconds it will be hard to mistake this for somethin else. There is also a dedication to some of the cool people there too. (It's the last post)

LAAAASSSST CHANCE

Welcome back to the second (and hopefully not last) lecture highlighting the differences between PSU, and the waaaaay better FFXI. Because some people don't get it. This topic we'll be going into the next thing you do after creating a character, choosing a class!

In PSU you have a paltry 3 classes to choose from (initially). None of them particularly new or interesting, but cover all the bases well enough.

Hunters - Basic melee class. Can use all melee weapons for the most part. A novel idea, but where is the specialization? This class alone makes psu and FFXI two completely different games.

Ranger - Your basic ranged class. You can use a variety of guns, but no good ol' fashioned bows and arrows? WTF?

Force - Nondescript mage. Casts magic with wands. Can heal, deal damage, and buff teammates! This is a broken class that needs to be nerfed. (and if there is one thing we learned from FFXI nerfing enhances gameplay and makes the community happier as a whole.)

Next, you have your expert class. There are seven of them. A respectable number if you've only played Diablo 2, but nothing compared to FFXI. These classes hamper gampley further as they are all capable of oing the same thing. Damage.

Fortefighter - A guy who's forte is fighting. What a cool name that leaves me wondering what this class specializes in. NOT!!! They can use all of the melee weapons even better than a hunter, naturally making a hunter useless. Way to go and make one of your classes totally useless sega. Who is gonna be a hunter if you can be a fortefighter! You can even use ranger bullets! BLASPHEMY.

Fortegunner - Even better with guns than a ranger? I'm shocked! Why is a ranger in the game if you can just use guns better as a fortegunner?

Fortecher - Why not just call your super god class a FORTEtecher? This class can deal damage, heal, and suppoert other classes better than all the classes. With no weaknesses!

Figunner - A fighter/gunner? Man they really have to spell it out for you with these names. This class is a hunter and a ranger combined, but with doublesabers! Thank you sega for making two classes useless by adding one.

Guntecher - Fortechers can already use lvl 30 bullets according to PSUpedia. Why is this class here?

Wartecher - Spells and melee? Are you effin nuts?

Protranser - "I like traps" (quoted from that guy who made that one poll about advanced classes) because that about sums up protranser. I don't even think they can use normal weapons.

And to think that each race has the option to play any of these classes and maybe even be good with them! Where is the specialization? Where is the teamwork? Who ever heard of a generic hunter healing themselves? With items noless! That's just cheating! (alas this is carrying over into gameplay, an article which may or may not be written later.)

Ahhh, and this brings us to FFXI's eighteen totally original and different classes you may play as. Each of FFXI's classes serves it's own unique role, and brings it's own set of tools to the party to assist in dissecting thousands of small blue crabs! (Once again, another article.) To give PSU a chance, I'll try and break the classes into groups. Not that you can categorize these classes. Nope, not by a longshot.

Damage Dealers.

Warrior

Thief - After you miraculously get to lvl 15, you can play as a sneak thief who can hit his opponent really goddamn hard in the back! And he can steal things, run fast, and go invisible! For abilities unseen in the PSU.

Blackmage - Mage specialization #1 (take notes sega) this job can do stupid damage with spells, and depending on your subjob (and if your a tarutaru or not) heal in a pinch! And do you see black mages in any other game? Of course not! (disregard the other 11 FF games >.>)

Darkknight - My personal favorite class! You can inflict pain upon enemies with greatswords or scythes! You can cast 3 magic spells! (3 that people won't laugh at you for casting that is.) At level 60 you get to take a break and get thief up to lvl 37! Hope you have a gilfarmer friend n_n.

Dragoon - This class deals damage with spears, and has a pet dragon! Dragoons also have a meaningful jump! Unheard of in PSU! And if you like waiting on parties, boy this isn't the class for you! Dragoons are fucking party magnets and are more coveted in a party than a whm and brd combined.

Monk - Monks deal damage with their fists - totally unique from other classes! One of the 2 dd classes that hit more than once an hour! Not bad, but most of us sane people love waiting.

Samurai - Samurai's deal damage with great katanas! (where are the katanas PSU?) and are the only class that can use them (realistically) What else makes them special? Skillchaining by themselves every 2 hours! (more in gameplay)

Ranger - Rangers deal damage...expedite pain with bows, crossbows, and guns! The way a ranger should! All from 2 feet away! They can outdamage at least 7 warriors using their 2 hours on a a good day! Only requirement? Paying extra money to 3rd parties (not for gil. of course not for gil) on top of the subcription fee. Worth it!

Healing Classes.

Whitemages - Commonly referred to as lifetream. Whitemages are vital to any party's success! Not only can they heal, but they can teleport the party! (PSU has no teleporting, another glaring difference) Want to wield that club and kick some thickshell tail? Go for it! What's the party gonna do? Heal themselves?

Any magejob subbing Whm - Commonly reffered to as "There aren't any Whm searching http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif. But I found this guy." as healers, they are inherently vital to the parties success. Wish they were a whm though.

Tanking classes.

Paladin - The whiteknights! As a tanking job, these guys are also very important to a party! Through use of healing spells and rude gestures, Paladins make sure noone but themselves are hit. PSU? Doesn't even have a hate system.

Ninja - Same thing as paladins but they don't get hit either. So clearly better in every regard. Did I mention ninja's are FFXI exclusive in the mmo world? Because they are. >_>

Support classes. None of these in PSU anywhere.

Summoner - To play this class correctly, you and 18 other people (or one redmage) have to beat the game twice. Then you can play as one helluva a supporting class! Summoning ancient gods and titans to buff the party and then get the hell outta dodge so you'll have mp left over for much needed cures!

Redmage - Refresh bot in parties. God when subbing ninja.

Bard - Ah probably the most wanted of the supporting classes. Bards can turn even the most haphazardly thrown together group (war, war, war, war, war, brd) into a finely tuned exp augering machine with just a few songs! Singing in an mmo? Tell me that's ingenuity!

Corsair - The swashbuckling pirate! Totally new in the mmo world! And not like bard at all as their skills are based on luck! Have you ever seen THAT before? This makes playing with a corsair delightfully random everytime!

Misc. I'm not sure anymore. These guys serve some higher purpose. I'm not sure what it is, but it's there (help me out!)

Warriors - Can use all weapons competently, but you'll only need to use different forms of axes. Can't really damage. Can't really tank. I guess it's kind of like a hunter from PSU. But it's better since it's in FFXI.

Bluemage - This job can take and deal damage about 1/2 as good as a tank or damage class for a few levels, but then ...I dunno (Help me out!)

Pupetteer. Seriously, I can't joke about this one. I have no idea why this job is here, or what square was thinking. Sarcasm aside for now.

And there you have it folks, more obvious differences between FFXI, and PSU, because you don't see any class in the same game. FFXI's ranger is much different and better than PSU's.

End. Once again I hope a few of you enjoyed reading that at least a little bit. I got a little burnt out at the end because FFXI has so many goddamn classes. I tried to tone down the profanity too as someone mentioned it bothered them. If anyone else can think of something to add to this PM me and I'll add it and give you teh credits. Assuming I'm not banned after this one, and a few people like this one, I'm gonna do gameplay differences (which will probably be the best http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif) later.

If you skipped start reading here

sat‧ire  /ˈsætaɪər/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[sat-ahyuhr] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1. the use of irony, sarcasm, ridicule, or the like, in exposing, denouncing, or deriding vice, folly, etc.
2. a literary composition, in verse or prose, in which human folly and vice are held up to scorn, derision, or ridicule.
3. a literary genre comprising such compositions.
[Origin: 1500–10; < L satira, var. of satura medley, perh. fem. deriv. of satur sated (see saturate)]

see that? ^ I know it may have a few big words for some of you, but the above work is satire. As in I'm kidding. Or not being serious. I sincerely hope noone reads this part before it get's sent to FKL because stupid people do make things funnier.

Sorry, had to do it http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Silver_Wyrm
Oct 20, 2006, 12:04 AM
OMG psuandffxiaredifferentgameswtfareyousayinggoshooty ourselfyouflamingloserffxisuxorzbecauseyoumusthave nolifestoptryingtoco mparestupiddifferentgamesomggetalifeyouhavenolifeo mgomgomg

theres your typical response of someone who hasnt seen the sarcasm, of course I used no spaces to conserve room, but I feel that the sense has stayed in it being one sentence.

edit: ok put in a space so it didnt drag the page

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Silver_Wyrm on 2006-10-19 22:06 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Silver_Wyrm on 2006-10-19 22:07 ]</font>

Arcturus
Oct 20, 2006, 12:06 AM
And yet, I hear countless people saying they're sick and tired of playing FFXI, because they felt like it was more like working than playing.

Cross
Oct 20, 2006, 12:07 AM
On 2006-10-19 22:06, Arcturus wrote:
And yet, I hear countless people saying they're sick and tired of playing FFXI, because they felt like it was more like working than playing.

Holy shit.

Losodo1976
Oct 20, 2006, 12:08 AM
+1

Garnet_Moon
Oct 20, 2006, 12:10 AM
On 2006-10-19 22:06, Arcturus wrote:

FFXI is a job. You can say whatever you want in its favor but you can't change it. The game has gone downhill significantly after the first year or so. PSO felt more like a hobby. A fun hobby. Until item duping caused alot of drama... it was still a fun game, but the drama got a bit out of hand.

PSU looks to be the same experience as PSO, only with the fun factor turned up significantly. Hopefully with less cheating.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Garnet_Moon on 2006-10-19 22:12 ]</font>

NightHour13
Oct 20, 2006, 12:18 AM
If your sarcastic about this whole thing...Why did you make this topic?
...well..*eats a bag of chips*...I just hope I dont meet any of these people in real life. Last person I met who jumped in my face about how FFXI is the best game on earth...I simply showed him a sexy girl - then shattered his jaw.

I dont understand why people don't get the simple philosophy of it all. If morons arise, kill them. The end. Problem Solved.

Kuseme
Oct 20, 2006, 01:27 AM
[Excuse Me] [I] [Have] [Wait A Moment] 5 [hours] !!! [Speak][No, Thank You] [Japanese]

Ryudo
Oct 20, 2006, 01:40 AM

What? Ragnarok Online has ninjas

UltraDeeDer
Oct 20, 2006, 01:59 AM
I diddnt read the first volume of this topic but unless that WHOLE thing is sarcasm then it is the most ignorant (Now that i think about it it prob isnt) summary of classes ever. Expert classes come AFTER the non-expert ones. Even my grandmother knows that. AND SHES DEAD NOW!

Kent
Oct 20, 2006, 02:00 AM
...Wow. Satire is normally somewhat entertaining to read... :/

Aberu
Oct 20, 2006, 02:01 AM
Having more classes with much more diverse roles and skills doesn't make a game BETTER it just means they have more classes with much more diverse roles. Can you dodge an attack through quick reactions? Can you voice chat with someone instantly if they are near you? Can you choose to play the game by yourself or with others and neither have any consequences?

Let's look at RO (a very "crappy" mmo by your standards).
http://users.adelphia.net/~aberu/images/roclasses.jpg
Not an amazing game, but omg once we compare the classes everyone is much more diverse on the RO side. And on top of that you can configure your stat points any mother freagin way you want. That makes it like 200 times better than FFXI. That means you should all go play FFXI right?

Seriously, you play the game you freagin want to play, and we will play ours. Take your trolling elsewhere. This is an Online Action RPG. FFXI is a Turn-Based MMORPG. Each one has it's "advantages" so to speak. Who cares. We aren't comparing parts in a car here, it's a piece of art, you enjoy it or you don't. If you don't, why the hell do you have 50 posts in a community devoted to it.

Wallin
Oct 20, 2006, 02:04 AM
#1 reason why FFXI < ALL OTHER MMORPGs - no other MMO will delete all of your characters, account, registration, and make your serial codes that you paid for with the game INVALID so that you have to go out and buy another copy of a game you already own after 3 months.

I have no idea why people still play that game.

Stixx
Oct 20, 2006, 02:19 AM
I've played FFXI since the US PC release and I just quit recently for PSU. I love the game and I have my share of fond memories. Seeing this topic made me smile and fall headfirst down memory lane.

By the way, great comment about PUP there. Seriously...no idea what Squeenix was thinking >.>

Aberu
Oct 20, 2006, 02:28 AM
My fondest memory of FFXI was being a level 13 Thief, trying to get a party for 6 hours. Yeah thats right. Really, at that level, as a thief the only way to level is partying. And I sat on that beach for 6 hours. I quit the game shortly thereafter. A game with next to no solo content is pointless. I like games that reward teamplay, but making it so that is about the only way to play is absurd.

Garnet_Moon
Oct 20, 2006, 02:30 AM
On 2006-10-20 00:28, Aberu wrote:
My fondest memory of FFXI was being a level 13 Thief, trying to get a party for 6 hours. Yeah thats right. Really, at that level, as a thief the only way to level is partying. And I sat on that beach for 6 hours. I quit the game shortly thereafter. A game with next to no solo content is pointless. I like games that reward teamplay, but making it so that is about the only way to play is absurd.

My favorite memory from FFXI was soloing from Lv54 to Lv72 as a SMN. Imagine how long that takes with the Carby mitts + Light Staff method + bombs never wanna blow up. Then, imagine my invite flag up the whole time. Let's just forget Lv1-54 ever happened. Especially the Garlaige Citadel / Crawlers Nest transition. Alot of invites in an hour, but only because they wipe and disban on the first kill...

Yeah. Good times. Good times...

-_-;

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Garnet_Moon on 2006-10-20 00:33 ]</font>

Wallin
Oct 20, 2006, 02:30 AM
Seriously, people who complain about the wrongs of being able to solo in an MMORPG and how it takes away from all the other gamers must have 3 computers and 3 accounts to keep themselves occupied all the time.

FFXI is by far the worst game for groups, because not only do you have to be the exact same level in order to get any decent exp, but you also have to pray you're the right class that a group is looking for.

PSU needs to be released RIGHT NOW. >_<

RuinedReBirth
Oct 20, 2006, 02:42 AM
Part 2 of Game vs Game with the waaaaay crap opinion.

1) FFXI and PSU are not the same genre. While they may be RPGs, PSU provides live action. Constant pressing of a button and the community I've enjoyed since day 1 of PSO. (DC also)

2) I've played FFXI the first day it was released in October, got to level 60 with my samurai, got my AF armor and what happened? I got bored and quit without thinking twice.

The fact remains, and always will remain, that FFXI and PSU are incredibly different games. This is why games are created and this is what developers must do when they create a game: How will we vary from this game and that game?

Now since you gave me your incoherent (yet sarcastic? haha) opinion. I'll give you my opinion of your opinion. It's crap. Excuse me while I whip my rear thinking about this post. I love PSU and this topic ( and the other) will definately NOT change my opinion. I hated WOW, and I think WoW is better than XI...Sad, no?

Nilot
Oct 20, 2006, 02:44 AM
Alright, I've been on FFXI for about 3 years now, all thats gotta be said, is that youre no longer an individual when you pick a class on FFXI, youre either "WAR" (warrior) "WHM" (white mage) "BRD ballad plz" (bard) etc etc. PSU allows players to handle any mission regardless of their class, because PSU dosent require you to freaking level to 36 and invest into an auction house for about a million gil just so you can level a close range combat-type job, or a ranged job, so basically anything that fights needs to have ninja as their subjob because it has shadows and holds two weapons, yay, so that means knockoff every level 60 warrior that dosent have ninja subbed. Same goes for mages, its usually a requirement or you don't get invited to a party, that you have whm subbed, unless youre already a whm, then do whatever, people kissass to the whms.

Oh by the way, all youre doing is sucking up to what the jobs are capable of. Summoner, Dragoon, Beastmaster and especially puppetmaster are blatantly HATED by the player community, so good luck getting one party invite every couple of days higher up in the levels. At least the parties in PSU won't be nearly as judgemental as FFXI, you don't NEED a tank or a Healer, you can handle it on your own if you play smart, in PSU I mean, but its the opposite in FFXI. Your best friend wants to join? SKREW YOU we need a whm not you (real nice) Got every 'required' job in the party and have an extra slot? GO SOLO YOU DIRTY BEASTMASTER (even meaner)
You just explained your point when you left that lil confused message about Puppetmaster in your list of jobs, okay, get it right, its a Mage, Ranger, or Warrior that can be interchanged in battle while the puppet-master- fights as a monk without the monk abilities (unless its your subjob) Nuff said, don't play PSU if you gotta diss it in comparison to FFXI or youre gonna get talked down by the people here that DO luff PSU-O- =P

Cross
Oct 20, 2006, 02:47 AM
Why in the hell are people still discussing this seriously?

Hint: You don't need to tell him how bad FFXI is. He wasn't calling it good or unique at all. Jesus.

SpishackCola
Oct 20, 2006, 02:50 AM
TLDR and stop the whining.

Nilot
Oct 20, 2006, 02:53 AM
On 2006-10-20 00:47, Cross wrote:
Why in the hell are people still discussing this seriously?

Hint: You don't need to tell him how bad FFXI is. He wasn't calling it good or unique at all. Jesus.

Jesus isint a mod, keep it to yourself =)

Stixx
Oct 20, 2006, 03:01 AM
On 2006-10-20 00:44, Nilot wrote:
Summoner, Dragoon, Beastmaster and especially puppetmaster are blatantly HATED by the player community, so good luck getting one party invite every couple of days higher up in the levels.

I don't know about PUP, but on Unicorn at least SMN, DRG, and BST have been getting alot of love lately.

Nilot
Oct 20, 2006, 03:07 AM
On 2006-10-20 01:01, Stixx wrote:

Summoner, Dragoon, Beastmaster and especially puppetmaster are blatantly HATED by the player community, so good luck getting one party invite every couple of days higher up in the levels.

I don't know about PUP, but on Unicorn at least SMN, DRG, and BST have been getting alot of love lately.

Yeah, I heard Unicorn is way better than Bahamut which I was on =P Bahamuts got a lot of the oldies, I guess thats why

Undubbed
Oct 20, 2006, 03:12 AM
It wasn't funny cause he blalantly said it was satire in the first few sentences.

phunk
Oct 20, 2006, 03:27 AM
This ffxi v. psu discussion is getting olde'

Cigaro
Oct 20, 2006, 03:30 AM
The only reason people play FFXI is, in my eyes, brand loyalty.

ShadowDragon28
Oct 20, 2006, 03:32 AM
Excessively complex Psuedo-Essays using drawn out sarcassism isn't funny IMO, just boring and unneccessary.

Some people need to get out and relax. -not directed to anyone specific, just stating such rhetorically. (sp?)

physic
Oct 20, 2006, 03:41 AM
ahhh yall dont get it, he was basically saying PSO owns, and coming up with stupid reasons people would hate on psu, and stupid reasons people would like FFXI and say it owns.

anyhow i played ffxi for awhile i left bored, but hey you should get bored of every game eventually, it was a great game while it lasted with many cool aspects, some bad aspects, But really a MMO tends to come down to whatever the community or your small community makes it. FFXI was great, it can be better. PSU may be as great we shall soon see.

randomGuy
Oct 20, 2006, 03:43 AM
On 2006-10-20 01:12, Undubbed wrote:
It wasn't funny cause he blalantly said it was satire in the first few sentences.

It doesn't matter - from many people's responses, they were taking it seriously anyway O.o

On 2006-10-20 00:30, Garnet_Moon wrote:

On 2006-10-20 00:28, Aberu wrote:

My favorite memory from FFXI was soloing from Lv54 to Lv72 as a SMN. Imagine how long that takes with the Carby mitts + Light Staff method + bombs never wanna blow up. Then, imagine my invite flag up the whole time. Let's just forget Lv1-54 ever happened. Especially the Garlaige Citadel / Crawlers Nest transition. Alot of invites in an hour, but only because they wipe and disban on the first kill...

Yeah. Good times. Good times...

-_-;

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Garnet_Moon on 2006-10-20 00:33 ]</font>

My favorite FFXI memory was leveling from 25-30 because I didn't have Kahzam keys, 500,000gil for an airship pass and noone would help me do the quest. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif
A far cry from 54-72(ouch!), but illustrates that the raved FFXI community isn't all its cracked up to be... ><

Oh, and ya forgot about subjobs (perhaps this is a gameplay aspect, but as an extension of character classes, it deserves some mention...)
Besides, how many other games allow (nay, FORCE) you to level up to 18 then stop and do it all over again? Try leveling THF to 18, then WAR to 20, then THF to 30, then NIN to 40, then THF to 75. Nothing beats it! >.>

ShadowDragon28
Oct 20, 2006, 03:47 AM
I "got it", I just didn't find it amusing.

Are some PSO members kind of bored this week with nothing better to do than post nonconstructive, or just outright pointless posts?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ShadowDragon28 on 2006-10-20 01:49 ]</font>

Undubbed
Oct 20, 2006, 03:50 AM
I spent over 20 days worth of playing FFXI and all I got to show for it was Rank 5 and acquiring all the Summons from mini-Avatar battles(meaning I didn't have Diablow or Fenrir).

I never even got above 300k of gil in that game and probably only spent like 7 mil worth of gil in my whole playtime.

Man that was a Collosal waste of time. I had to do crap I didn't really want to do(leveling main AND sub plus farming for gil) just to get to the crap I actually wanted to do!(missions)

wraith5k
Oct 20, 2006, 04:24 AM
On 2006-10-20 01:47, ShadowDragon28 wrote:

Are some PSO members kind of bored this week with nothing better to do than post nonconstructive, or just outright pointless posts?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ShadowDragon28 on 2006-10-20 01:49 ]</font>

Since when has any forum post in any gaming forum on the internet been meaningful? think hard

As long as a few people find this amusing I think I'll do a last one and then move on back to playing guitar. This forum has really been taking up to much life these past few days. Wait is killing me as much as anyone else. I may have fucked myself not posting an essay on gameplay in the first place (because that is easily where all the best ideas are) but if I do it will be installments. Because seriously. That first post is way to mother fucking long.

ShadowDragon28
Oct 20, 2006, 04:36 AM
A post doesn't have to be "meaningful."
A post has point if it's actually informative, an intellegent question that has not been asked several times (like 100 times in 20 diffent ways)and or was good helpful information about something.

Which IMO would be better than a long-winded sarcastic psuedo-essay pitting an MMO against a online action rpg with a niche fanbase.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ShadowDragon28 on 2006-10-20 02:42 ]</font>

Raiyez
Oct 20, 2006, 05:45 AM
Jugg ain't got no power steering.

DizzyDi
Oct 20, 2006, 06:49 AM
Alright, I've been on FFXI for about 3 years now, all thats gotta be said, is that youre no longer an individual when you pick a class on FFXI, youre either "WAR" (warrior) "WHM" (white mage) "BRD ballad plz" (bard) etc etc. PSU allows players to handle any mission regardless of their class, because PSU dosent require you to freaking level to 36 and invest into an auction house for about a million gil just so you can level a close range combat-type job, or a ranged job, so basically anything that fights needs to have ninja as their subjob because it has shadows and holds two weapons, yay, so that means knockoff every level 60 warrior that dosent have ninja subbed. Same goes for mages, its usually a requirement or you don't get invited to a party, that you have whm subbed, unless youre already a whm, then do whatever, people kissass to the whms.

Oh by the way, all youre doing is sucking up to what the jobs are capable of. Summoner, Dragoon, Beastmaster and especially puppetmaster are blatantly HATED by the player community, so good luck getting one party invite every couple of days higher up in the levels. At least the parties in PSU won't be nearly as judgemental as FFXI, you don't NEED a tank or a Healer, you can handle it on your own if you play smart, in PSU I mean, but its the opposite in FFXI. Your best friend wants to join? SKREW YOU we need a whm not you (real nice) Got every 'required' job in the party and have an extra slot? GO SOLO YOU DIRTY BEASTMASTER (even meaner)
You just explained your point when you left that lil confused message about Puppetmaster in your list of jobs, okay, get it right, its a Mage, Ranger, or Warrior that can be interchanged in battle while the puppet-master- fights as a monk without the monk abilities (unless its your subjob) Nuff said, don't play PSU if you gotta diss it in comparison to FFXI or youre gonna get talked down by the people here that DO luff PSU-O- =P

Check out this diagram I made.

The Joke ----->|.....................................|<---Nilot

Kizzy
Oct 20, 2006, 06:59 AM
I wish people would stop comparing FFXI & PSU. It's getting tiresome.

Basically, FFXI is just a cheap marketing ploy that SE happened to pull off because of retarded people of the age of 13 and up. You pay 156 (estimate) a year for that game, and extra for additional characters. Everything in the game is so biased and pre-determined, it gets boring REALLY quick, and it takes forever to get anything worth it accomplished. PSU is only about 120 a year, and you get 4 characters for free. It's cheaper, has a better character creation, cooler environment and weapons, it doesn't get boring fast, and will even improve more over time. FFXI is nothing more than a 'click-and-hope-you-win!' game. Whereas in PSU, you can strategically win battles. You don't have to rely on luck for dodging, you can do it yourself. And it's in real-time, so things happen the way you want them to when you want them to.

The only thing FFXI has holding it up are its stupid FF & SE fans. It's really an overall no-brainer that PSU is better.

... So, there's really nothing to argue about.

The end.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kizzy on 2006-10-20 05:03 ]</font>

Undubbed
Oct 20, 2006, 07:03 AM
Summoners aren't nearly as shuned for parties as Dragoons and Beastmasters.

PrinceRhys
Oct 20, 2006, 07:57 AM
I don't know. I found it funny. I guess people on here don't like jokes like this (some don't realize it's a joke). Anyway, I'D still like to see the last installment (If it comes out before PSU. If not, then I might not "have the time" to read it).

afcakey
Oct 20, 2006, 08:38 AM
On 2006-10-20 05:03, Undubbed wrote:
Summoners aren't nearly as shuned for parties as Dragoons and Beastmasters.

oh yeah you ever try lolpup?

EnSill
Oct 20, 2006, 08:47 AM
Wow...

Seems like lots of people seriously lack humor... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif
(Just so you know, it was a criticism of FFXI... and well thought IMHO)

I must say I laughed a lot...
and then I read the comments... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_confused.gif
I wonder if you even read the post before you replied (I seriously doubt it).

People are getting so serious about games now, it's a bit frightening.
Well I guess you should go back to those wonderful threads that are so constructive, and not talking about things we already read 100 times...
*sigh*

Bleemo
Oct 20, 2006, 09:03 AM
On 2006-10-20 06:47, EnSill wrote:
Wow...

Seems like lots of people seriously lack humor... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif
(Just so you know, it was a criticism of FFXI... and well thought IMHO)

I must say I laughed a lot...
and then I read the comments... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_confused.gif
I wonder if you even read the post before you replied (I seriously doubt it).

People are getting so serious about games now, it's a bit frightening.
Well I guess you should go back to those wonderful threads that are so constructive, and not talking about things we already read 100 times...
*sigh*

Most probably didn't read the post, with somewhat of a good reason. First, he was comparing another game to a game this fansite is based upon. Second, he knew he was going to be flamed before-hand, so he posted that little tid-bit at the end. And third, he knew it was a post worth flaming. Which leads me in confusion as to why he posted this in the first place, let alone compared the two games in the way that was posted.

All I really saw was class/role comparisons. The only thing he proved in that long, drawn out post was that the class/roles were too different in each game to compare, contrary to what he was trying to do. I can completely understand comparing the game by pricing, economy, or required effort, but by class and roles? Why?

I don't mean for my post to be misunderstood; I'm not h8ing on him or anything, I'm just confused as to why he posted this knowing he was going to get flamed to oblivion.

It's like he doused himself with arsen, threw matches at us, and told us all that our mommas smell like fish.

wraith5k
Oct 20, 2006, 09:14 AM
On 2006-10-20 02:36, ShadowDragon28 wrote:
A post doesn't have to be "meaningful."
A post has point if it's actually informative, an intellegent question that has not been asked several times (like 100 times in 20 diffent ways)and or was good helpful information about something.

Which IMO would be better than a long-winded sarcastic psuedo-essay pitting an MMO against a online action rpg with a niche fanbase.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ShadowDragon28 on 2006-10-20 02:42 ]</font>

Eh. You win. By the way the beta is acting up again. (Informative!)

In all seriousness I can't believe more than 2 people took me literally. Really now. Explaining RO classes as a rebuttal? That alone almost warrants a third one. even though I'm pretending that was sarcasm in itself

And bleemo's mom smells like fish.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: wraith5k on 2006-10-20 07:15 ]</font>

Saigan
Oct 20, 2006, 09:17 AM
On 2006-10-20 02:24, wraith5k wrote:

On 2006-10-20 01:47, ShadowDragon28 wrote:

Since when has any forum post in any gaming forum on the internet been meaningful? think hard

As long as a few people find this amusing I think I'll do a last one and then move on back to playing guitar. This forum has really been taking up to much life these past few days. Wait is killing me as much as anyone else. I may have f*cked myself not posting an essay on gameplay in the first place (because that is easily where all the best ideas are) but if I do it will be installments. Because seriously. That first post is way to mother f*cking long.

Personally I thought it was amusing; things don't have to be laugh out loud funny to be amusing. Also- I'm pretty impressed with how many people took the post seriously when the dictionary definition for satire is clearly posted =P

Shangrila
Oct 20, 2006, 09:20 AM
FFXI is nothing more than a 'click-and-hope-you-win!' game. Whereas in PSU, you can strategically win battles. You don't have to rely on luck for dodging, you can do it yourself. And it's in real-time, so things happen the way you want them to when you want them to.

Nothing against you PSU'ers but this made me laugh out loud.. This guy seems to not know anything about FFXI, but he's claiming that PSU > FFXI in battles... dude FFXI being semi-turnbased game has nothing to do with strategies needed to win... I find it hard to believe any fight in PSU is as hard as even not-too-hard monsters in XI.. you just can't win being noob^^ if you don't make a good strategy for many mission/NM fight in XI it's almost 100% death, but also if you have really good strat winning with any combination is possible^^ and what's more fun than winning a fight everyone said is impossible without that-and-this job and proving them wrong, makes ya feel like a real hero http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

This thread was fun to read though, sorry for taking this reply seriously but I can't stand lying http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

The only thing FFXI has holding it up are its stupid FF & SE fans

good one, could say that about WoW and Blizzard fans

EnSill
Oct 20, 2006, 09:42 AM
On 2006-10-20 07:03, Bleemo wrote:

Most probably didn't read the post, with somewhat of a good reason. First, he was comparing another game to a game this fansite is based upon. Second, he knew he was going to be flamed before-hand, so he posted that little tid-bit at the end. And third, he knew it was a post worth flaming. Which leads me in confusion as to why he posted this in the first place, let alone compared the two games in the way that was posted.

All I really saw was class/role comparisons. The only thing he proved in that long, drawn out post was that the class/roles were too different in each game to compare, contrary to what he was trying to do. I can completely understand comparing the game by pricing, economy, or required effort, but by class and roles? Why?

I don't mean for my post to be misunderstood; I'm not h8ing on him or anything, I'm just confused as to why he posted this knowing he was going to get flamed to oblivion.

Hum... what amazes me is that you're asking questions that should put you on track and help you find the solution yourself...

The answer is simple:
it was a satire, a joke about the numerous already existing threads comparing PSU and FFXI, and basically a criticism of the class (and grouping) system of FFXI.
The real problem is people can't even read and think at the same time anymore (i.e. read between the lines) even when it's so obvious (and even when you were asked to do so...).

You should flame when someone is telling stupidities he really believes are true.
Not when someone is joking.
Or go and flame all those Tucker or Rock guys on tv saying nonsense all day long.

Anyway, you can't teach humour to people so I'm preaching in a desert http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

On a sidenote, how can you reply and flame someone when you didn't even read what he had to say ??
You see a title and light the fire up ?
Nice and constructive, go on that way http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

On 2006-10-20 07:03, Bleemo wrote:
It's like he doused himself with arsen, threw matches at us, and told us all that our mommas smell like fish.
Huh ?
I really don't get what you mean http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif
You took his post like a direct attack or what ? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

FenixStryk
Oct 20, 2006, 09:43 AM
Lv17 RNG needs Lv15+ HNT/FRC 4 deragan run! ^_^

Tystys
Oct 20, 2006, 09:50 AM
On 2006-10-19 22:18, NightHour13 wrote:
If your sarcastic about this whole thing...Why did you make this topic?
...well..*eats a bag of chips*...I just hope I dont meet any of these people in real life. Last person I met who jumped in my face about how FFXI is the best game on earth...I simply showed him a sexy girl - then shattered his jaw.

I dont understand why people don't get the simple philosophy of it all. If morons arise, kill them. The end. Problem Solved.

What, are you fucking insane?

You'd kill off 85% of America's population, and cut off nearly 99% of our economy!

Durkan
Oct 20, 2006, 09:55 AM
It sounds like the PSU jobs are broken. Is that true?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Durkan on 2006-10-20 07:56 ]</font>

Durkan
Oct 20, 2006, 10:03 AM
I, unlike other people, have good memories of FFXI, lol. I met a lot of nice people on that game. To me, it was the only game that I found nice people, and I shared a lot of memories with them. Linkshell ballistas, Missions (oh i hope PSU has online missions), the FFXI missions were amazing, and yes it did take a lot of time to get to them, but when you saw them it was all worth it. I had people I could talk to about problems that occured outside of the game. When I quit, I was seriously sad. I just hope in PSU that I can find a good group of friends that I can share more memories with... Also, some of my greatest friends from FFXI are playing PSU with me, so that should make the game that much more enjoyable. Yes I might say I was addicted, Played for 3 years, never did get 75, but I didn't mind. The time I spent on it was well worth it. 61Monk/61Darkknight/50Bluemage

Bleemo
Oct 20, 2006, 10:04 AM
On 2006-10-20 07:42, EnSill wrote:
Hum... what amazes me is that you're asking questions that should put you on track and help you find the solution yourself...

The answer is simple:
it was a satire, a joke about the numerous already existing threads comparing PSU and FFXI, and basically a criticism of the class (and grouping) system of FFXI.
The real problem is people can't even read and think at the same time anymore (i.e. read between the lines) even when it's so obvious (and even when you were asked to do so...).

You should flame when someone is telling stupidities he really believes are true.
Or go and flame all those Tucker or Rock guys on tv saying nonsense all day long.

Anyway, you can't teach humour to people so I'm preaching in a desert http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

On a sidenote, how can you reply and flame someone when you didn't even read what he had to say ??
Nice and constructive, go on that way http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Huh ?
I really don't get what you mean http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif
You took his post like a direct attack or what ? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Oh, so it WAS a joke. Haha! Jokes on me! No, seriously. Why post this as a joke in the first place? It's not a very funny joke, as he was walking on pretty thin ice, and his post was outrageously long. If you're making a long post that is meant to be a joke, at least make it entertaining enough to read all the way through. I didn't find this post in the least bit humorous. I suppose that may be my lack of humor! But in anycase, I didn't find this post amusing; I'm seeing a lot of others are in the same boat as I am, therefore this topic for the most part is without humor.

Geez, I'm being a total ass aren't I? I need to be spanked. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_no.gif

Tystys
Oct 20, 2006, 10:07 AM
Yeah, the joke pretty much sucked.

Yoiyami
Oct 20, 2006, 10:13 AM
On 2006-10-20 08:04, Bleemo wrote:
Geez, I'm being a total ass aren't I? I need to be spanked. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_no.gif

...*takes a step back*

You're right, though. I didn't find it very funny because the "humor" part looked like it was being forced and that he was already afraid of being flamed, like you said. Besides, most people here prefer PSU over FF11 anyway, this IS a PSU fansite so there was no real reason to point out that PSU is a better game if that's the main thing you were trying to say. Most of us already think so.

If you want to make a statement or a point, just do it. >.>;

Bleemo
Oct 20, 2006, 10:15 AM
On 2006-10-20 08:13, Yoiyami wrote:

...*takes a step back*

You're right, though. I didn't find it very funny because the "humor" part looked like it was being forced and that he was already afraid of being flamed, like you said. Besides, most people here prefer PSU over FF11 anyway, this IS a PSU fansite so there was no real reason to point out that PSU is a better game if that's the main thing you were trying to say. Most of us already think so.

I swear to GOD. Just CLEAR everything up why don't you?

I've had enough of you.

Yams are not supposed to be able to speak anyway.

Yoiyami
Oct 20, 2006, 10:18 AM
On 2006-10-20 08:15, Bleemo wrote:

On 2006-10-20 08:13, Yoiyami wrote:

...*takes a step back*

I swear to GOD. Just CLEAR everything up why don't you?

I've had enough of you.

Yams are not supposed to be able to speak anyway.

Mo knows he likes his Yams. They're good for you. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/heartcookie.gif

EnSill
Oct 20, 2006, 10:26 AM
Oh, so it WAS a joke. Haha! Jokes on me! No, seriously. Why post this as a joke in the first place? It's not a very funny joke, as he was walking on pretty thin ice, and his post was outrageously long. If you're making a long post that is meant to be a joke, at least make it entertaining enough to read all the way through. I didn't find this post in the least bit humorous. I suppose that may be my lack of humor! But in anycase, I didn't find this post amusing; I'm seeing a lot of others are in the same boat as I am, therefore this topic for the most part is without humor.

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif
In fact, I already answered you when I said that people can't read between the lines anymore, and that you can't teach humor http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

I really laughed a lot at that post http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif
Come on:

How can you see any seriousness here ??
Oh, I forgot, you didn't read it http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

No problem, you're not an ass, you just lack sense of humor http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif
But it's not a disease so I guess you'll be fine http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Kaminto
Oct 20, 2006, 10:36 AM
I have played FFXI for 3 years and i can tell you a few things about it:

1: after level 5 you have entered the reality of FFXI; can't do anything worthwhile without at least 6 people...

2: I know Mages aren't the best melee but for christs sake why does a character at level 50 have a hard time killing a level 20 monster!!

3: the whole group thing is blown way out of proportion, i know MMO's are about grouping but FFXI forces u to need 6 people almost constantly...

4: ECONOMY!!!! The worse aspect of FFXI, the game is 99% Player Economy based, the NPC Merchants sell next to nothing when it comes to gear and weapons... it's really hard to enjoy a game when a party wont invite u because u dont have elite gear for your level and u just dont have 1 million gil to blow on an outfit that may last for 6 levels max

The thing that keeps me playing FFXI though are the friends i made, i hope to make friends on PSU as well, that is really thre only feature that will keep me around, FFXI has its frustrations but as long as u have a few good friends the games annoying themes are well overlooked http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif but PSU will most definitely rock because I love having full control of my character http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

physic
Oct 20, 2006, 10:41 AM
well it was a joke, a lot of people didnt get, it maybe you need better delivery, or props, annnnyhow lets not argue ofver funnyness.

In closing FFXI was a great game for certain types of people, PSU is very different, it wont appeal the same way regardless, I dont think FFXI sucked, and psu depending on what and how they release it, has the potential to be a godd game

Durkan
Oct 20, 2006, 10:52 AM
You guys think it will be easy to find friends to do stuff with in PSU?

Garnet_Moon
Oct 20, 2006, 10:57 AM
On 2006-10-20 08:52, Durkan wrote:

Yes. If nothing else you always have this forum to set up play dates. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Yoiyami
Oct 20, 2006, 11:01 AM
On 2006-10-20 08:52, Durkan wrote:

It has always been easier to meet people in PSO. Always. Simply because of the way it's set up.

azjazo
Oct 20, 2006, 11:18 AM
FFXI its a nice hardcore MMORPG, its hard, its anoying, the economy sucks, drains you all the time and you dont have time to play another game (I solved that with my DS lite to play in the road to work)

But, isnt that what happens in EVERY MMO? I mean, RO, WoW, PSO etc etc etc, they suck in a way or another, they still draining you the time and money, but we play cuz its fun, or cuz you like the flavor, isuals, friends etc.

Stop whining about one or another, personaly, I like FFXI cuz it has a lot of stuff tu do, if you get bored after 2 or 3 years, well, games genaralyy last for about much less of that, if you get bored after your first 2-hour wait for pt, then the game its not for you.

And I like PSU for the flavor, the sci-fi themes, the fast paced action, and the fun of being ubber and slay a lot of monsters in aroom enstead of being slaughter by a tinny rabbit, but certanly PSO didnt offer that mummbling experiences of beting the cap out of a gigant enemy with your 16 ppl aliance

All in all, both are dierent experiences, and I really like both, So I ask you nicely that STFU and stop famming one or another (if you want to flame anithing go to a game board and bash the PS3)

wraith5k
Oct 20, 2006, 11:44 AM
For the record I really enjoyed my time on FFXI. I just enjoyed my time on PSO a lot more, and kinda planned on leaving when PSU came out. I just left a lil earlier due to time constraints. I'll try and make the next one better!

I was even to get my name Wraith on the server I played on if that dates me at all >.>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: wraith5k on 2006-10-20 09:46 ]</font>

watashiwa
Oct 20, 2006, 11:49 AM
On 2006-10-20 08:36, Kaminto wrote:
1: after level 5 you have entered the reality of FFXI; can't do anything worthwhile without at least 6 people...

I disagree with this.. I didn't need a party, when I played, until level 18 or 19.

I was able to solo quite effectively on both Samurai and Monk jobs until then.. then I had to go to Valkrum and then Qufim.

Akaimizu
Oct 20, 2006, 12:03 PM
It really depends on your chosen Job. Monks and Warriors tend to have it easy, for those early levels. Jobs like thieves, on the other hand...wow the difference is astounding. Monk and War are almost like cheating, in comparison.
Depending on your job, it's like night and day. There is no comparison.

Still, the satire was a trip down memory lane, for me, as well. The friends were what made it cool, but I could do without the party demands and certain hassles. (Particularly the whole you need to be of about the same level, right job, and have the right equip...to get invites or easily form a party. Especially when certain times you pretty much were in a lull of progress for 2+ weeks to get what you needed). My personal playstyle and time available (each session) isn't all that compatible with it. This isn't so much of a complaint, as I'm sure all those people who live very much different lives than I do, would protest at that statement. I'll respect their lives as much as I hope they respect my own.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2006-10-20 10:10 ]</font>

Feelmirath
Oct 20, 2006, 12:11 PM
The best part about these satires is the amount of serious responses you get http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Genobee
Oct 20, 2006, 12:15 PM
Even though it's a joke it wasn't even funny first time and neither the second time.. Thanks for wasting a heaping amount topic space, once again pls die.

wraith5k
Oct 20, 2006, 01:51 PM
On 2006-10-20 10:15, Genobee wrote:
Even though it's a joke it wasn't even funny first time and neither the second time.. Thanks for wasting a heaping amount topic space, once again pls die.

A wise man once said "It is impossible to appease everyone. But I appeased your mother twice last night."

More than 3 or 4 people enjoyed it. I'm not fucking David Thorpe or someone who writes for a living, so I'll take what I can get :3.

Durkan
Oct 20, 2006, 01:58 PM
On 2006-10-20 04:59, Kizzy wrote:
I wish people would stop comparing FFXI & PSU. It's getting tiresome.

Basically, FFXI is just a cheap marketing ploy that SE happened to pull off because of retarded people of the age of 13 and up. You pay 156 (estimate) a year for that game, and extra for additional characters. Everything in the game is so biased and pre-determined, it gets boring REALLY quick, and it takes forever to get anything worth it accomplished. PSU is only about 120 a year, and you get 4 characters for free. It's cheaper, has a better character creation, cooler environment and weapons, it doesn't get boring fast, and will even improve more over time. FFXI is nothing more than a 'click-and-hope-you-win!' game. Whereas in PSU, you can strategically win battles. You don't have to rely on luck for dodging, you can do it yourself. And it's in real-time, so things happen the way you want them to when you want them to.

The only thing FFXI has holding it up are its stupid FF & SE fans. It's really an overall no-brainer that PSU is better.

... So, there's really nothing to argue about.

The end.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kizzy on 2006-10-20 05:03 ]</font>

FFXI isn't just a point and click and hope you win game. If you played it that way, that might be why you didn't like it. Having a white mage tank isn't going to get you anywhere. You have to plan out who is going to be in the party and what each person has to do to succeed. It's called strategy, and I'm not saying PSU doesn't have it, I'm just saying FFXI does

Shrevn
Oct 20, 2006, 02:04 PM
Its easy to compare a in depth game like FFXI to PSU it'll shred it yes... but PSU isnt meant to be deep... its a easy hack and slash with some rpg elements into it... nothing more... Its for casual players kinda like the dreadfull Guild Wars in a sence that you dont need to input that much work to see your toon advance. Whic makes it great for some but crappy for others... Yes FFXI has alot of classes (i played rmd and sam to 75 myself) but this game has differences... Why dont yah pick a fight against warcraft players... HEHE im sure you'd get shreded by the greatness of warcraft against FFXI. More classes doesnt mean its better, the gameplay and ingenuridy does that. Yes i agree some of the "advanced" jobs in this game are pure BS like "caster & melee" thats bs and everyone in here can admit that... but theres only 3 basic jobs... so there isnt much to choose from. Play it if you want or dont but dont compare it to other more in depth games

Valkayree
Oct 20, 2006, 02:08 PM
OP if you don't like a game, post that you don't like it on a site dedicated to a game you do like. Personally FFXI blows imo, but I don't go to killingifrit.com and bad mouth it. Get a life fella.

adamgnome104
Oct 20, 2006, 02:15 PM
On 2006-10-20 00:00, Kent wrote:
...Wow. Satire is normally somewhat entertaining to read... :/

That has to me my opinion too.

It's not witty, not funny, just stupid.

Luno
Oct 20, 2006, 02:22 PM
People need to stop comparing games that are two completely different genres. If you want to compare something, compare the genres, not the games.

Garnet_Moon
Oct 20, 2006, 02:23 PM
Let's compare PSU, FFXI, and WoW to Goldeneye 64 next, shall we?

wraith5k
Oct 20, 2006, 02:30 PM
bout time this got moved. I didn't want to make a third with this on the 1st page. (I was seriously just about to post please move this topic so we can all move on!)

Otis_Kat
Oct 20, 2006, 02:36 PM
You said it yourself at the very beginning.

The two games are completely different, stop comparing/contrasting them.

^Lol said 6.022 x 10^23 times

_Deliverance_
Oct 20, 2006, 05:25 PM

On 2006-10-20 07:42, EnSill wrote:

The answer is simple:

Huh ?

Yes, you are being a total ass. If you didn't like the post, then why did you reply? Nobody is force feeding you this!

I like this thread. It's funny, and it rings of sarcasm about the flaws of ffxi. If you come in this thread and bitch about it, the bottom line is that you a) have no humor, b) lack reading comprehension, or c) should have looked at a different thread.

kthxbye

Bleemo
Oct 20, 2006, 06:41 PM
On 2006-10-20 15:25, _Deliverance_ wrote:
Yes, you are being a total ass. If you didn't like the post, then why did you reply? Nobody is force feeding you this!

I like this thread. It's funny, and it rings of sarcasm about the flaws of ffxi. If you come in this thread and bitch about it, the bottom line is that you a) have no humor, b) lack reading comprehension, or c) should have looked at a different thread.

kthxbye

Ah, I get it. I'm supposed to post in threads I only like. My mistake there buddy, I'll remember next time.

And certainly my sense of humor is totally lacking. I mean, if I didn't find this funny, I really must have no sense of humor. Silly me.

For the sake of discussion, I suppose it's wrong to criticize the original post of a thread.

Could you tell this post was satire, or do I need to throw out a definition for you? By my saying that, do you get it now?

He had to post a definition to let everyone know he was joking. No joke is funny if you have to tell them to laugh after the joke is finished, especially given how long his supposed joke was. As Yoiyami said, it's clear he was afraid of being flamed, because he knew no one would get his joke unless he went, "ZOMG ITS TEH JOKE U HAV NO SENSE OF SATIRE IF U FLAM ME"

This thread sux.

_Deliverance_
Oct 21, 2006, 12:11 AM
Most probably didn't read the post, with somewhat of a good reason.

Wrong. If you want to reply in a thread, at least have the notion of comprehending the material at hand. This is failure number one.

First, he was comparing another game to a game this fansite is based upon. Second, he knew he was going to be flamed before-hand, so he posted that little tid-bit at the end.

Right, except his comparisons, were actually making fun of ffxi, not PSU.
Reading comprehension ftw! He knew he was going to be flamed, because 60% of all people seem oblivious to others, and can only formulate opinions on what first comes to mind. Reading the replies proves this point. Which, I might add, has really proven this thread to be worthwhile reading material.

And third, he knew it was a post worth flaming. Which leads me in confusion as to why he posted this in the first place, let alone compared the two games in the way that was posted.

Listen, I know you aren't a stupid kid, so I won't beat you over the head with the bit about this being a joke thread.

Because the annoyance us ffxi players have gone through, all the sub-job leveling, all the "gimp" jobs that leave you sitting in Jeuno or Whitegate, seeking partyfor days on end. And this is supposed to be "fun".

If you can't understand the irony in the OP, I'll break it down for you again...With the painstaking detail that SE spent on making a diverse game, all that came out of it, was a game that is painful to play to succeed/thrive in. The game is like a part time job. Us ffxi vets' are here to enjoy PSU in the casual manner, so don't get all huffy because you "don't get where we're coming from".

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: _Deliverance_ on 2006-10-20 22:16 ]</font>

_Deliverance_
Oct 21, 2006, 12:15 AM
Edited several times because I'm sleepy ._.;

Bleemo
Oct 21, 2006, 03:30 AM
On 2006-10-20 22:11, _Deliverance_ wrote:

Most probably didn't read the post, with somewhat of a good reason.

Wrong. If you want to reply in a thread, at least have the notion of comprehending the material at hand. This is failure number one.

First, he was comparing another game to a game this fansite is based upon. Second, he knew he was going to be flamed before-hand, so he posted that little tid-bit at the end.

Right, except his comparisons, were actually making fun of ffxi, not PSU.
Reading comprehension ftw! He knew he was going to be flamed, because 60% of all people seem oblivious to others, and can only formulate opinions on what first comes to mind. Reading the replies proves this point. Which, I might add, has really proven this thread to be worthwhile reading material.

And third, he knew it was a post worth flaming. Which leads me in confusion as to why he posted this in the first place, let alone compared the two games in the way that was posted.

Listen, I know you aren't a stupid kid, so I won't beat you over the head with the bit about this being a joke thread.

Because the annoyance us ffxi players have gone through, all the sub-job leveling, all the "gimp" jobs that leave you sitting in Jeuno or Whitegate, seeking partyfor days on end. And this is supposed to be "fun".

If you can't understand the irony in the OP, I'll break it down for you again...With the painstaking detail that SE spent on making a diverse game, all that came out of it, was a game that is painful to play to succeed/thrive in. The game is like a part time job. Us ffxi vets' are here to enjoy PSU in the casual manner, so don't get all huffy because you "don't get where we're coming from".

I'm sort of at awe at how you debate, "kid."

You know how to prove a point? You throw insults around! That'll definitely get your point proven. I'm not sure where I started to insult you or the OP at, but you just decided you wanted to start insulting me because it would somehow make your point much clearer. Kudos to you.

I read the whole post except for the tid-bits at the bottom because I felt they were irrelevant. It wasn't until EnSill told me it was a joke that I found, it was indeed, a joke.

I'm not sure where to begin at your crummy little attempt to break apart my initial post except for the fact that it was aimed in the belief it wasn't a joke.

Most probably didn't read it. You know why? Because it was a long, boring, pointless post. Check out some of the replies. It's kind of clear, especially to those who were against the thread and those who were reminiscing about their time spent on FFXI, that they didn't read the entire post. I'll say this one more time in simpler terms: most probably didn't read it because it wasn't a post worth reading to begin with. The individuals who posted replied in concerns to the topic, not the original post.

Again, I will ask, why did he even bother making such a thread if he knew he was going to be flamed to oblivion? He was even aware that people wouldn't read his post. It further adds to his post's pointlessness.

"see that? ^ I know it may have a few big words for some of you, but the above work is satire. As in I'm kidding. Or not being serious. I sincerely hope noone reads this part before it get's sent to FKL because stupid people do make things funnier."

This was his biggest mistake. He was calling those who didn't read his gigantimous post and yet replied stupid. His entire post had little humor, it didn't start off with anything entertaining enough to motivate you to finish that long post, and he has the nerve to call others "stupid people" for not wanting to read this monstrosity before finding out he was actually, *gasp*, joking!

Honestly I'm at a loss as to why you're backing the OP. Either your sense of humor is really dull, or mine isn't patient enough to have to read through an entire essay before learning what I just read was a joke.

T0m
Oct 21, 2006, 08:41 AM
While it's hard to pinpoint what this topic is really about, I can see that it's starting to derail. It's turning more and more into an argument about if it's justified to point fingers, at the OP for not making his intentions clear enough.

One side is arguing that the original post was too long, and in that way ensured misunderstandings.
Well, if a text is too long to read, then by all rights, it should be too long to reply on, too. I wouldn't skim through a book, only picking up a few words left and right, that I could take offense of, to then proclaim the books is terrible and offensive.

Of course, the other side could do better than quarreling about it. ~_~

Now let's all make a concerted effort to keep this topic ontopic.

_Deliverance_
Oct 21, 2006, 09:00 AM
On 2006-10-21 06:41, T0m wrote:
While it's hard to pinpoint what this topic is really about, I can see that it's starting to derail. It's turning more and more into an argument about if it's justified to point fingers, at the OP for not making his intentions clear enough.

One side is arguing that the original post was too long, and in that way ensured misunderstandings.
Well, if a text is too long to read, then by all rights, it should be too long to reply on, too. I wouldn't skim through a book, only picking up a few words left and right, that I could take offense of, to then proclaim the books is terrible and offensive.

Of course, the other side could do better than quarreling about it. ~_~

Now let's all make a concerted effort to keep this topic ontopic.

Spot on pal. Would anybody read the title of an article, read one paragraph, and then critique it?
Apparently so....

Anyway, I liked the OP because it strikes close to home. I still play ffxi, and the points that he made about the jobs, are funny and ironic.

If you don't read an article, then don't critique it.

PS: I never actually insulted you, sweety.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: _Deliverance_ on 2006-10-21 07:02 ]</font>