PDA

View Full Version : two player split screen weakness?

faceless
Nov 12, 2002, 12:10 AM
after extensive play, i've determined that 2 player splitscreen is almost unplayable, and it would have been better if the screen was split vertically... in order o have a good viewin angle, nowadays i put in 3 characters even in 2 player split... anyone else agree/disagree?

Klakalou
Nov 12, 2002, 12:19 AM
it can prove annoying.

EDarkness
Nov 12, 2002, 12:58 AM
I only have one problem with 2 player split screen...it's hard to see your feet. This means that when you're trying to stand on some pad to open a door you can't tell where you're actually standing. Drives me crazy. Other than that, it's pretty cool.

-EDarkness

DB
Nov 12, 2002, 01:25 AM
Personally, just for gameplay, I like to have at least two other friends playing with me. It's a blast! But, on to the more important issue. Yes, if you have three of four people playing, it is much easier to see. Considering, in two-player split screen, when your facing a boss, such as the dragon, you can't even tell if your doing damage! Also... Don't ya wish you could telepipe and go to town without your partner(s)? What's the big issue on that? And, the map, a literal pain... With four people, or even two, contesting for it, the things about worthless, and half the time you fight blind. The only real complaint, that makes two-player annoying, is that damned camera though. As aforementioned, the switchs are hard to see. Especially going through challenge mode... It can get pretty damned tough. Other than that, it's a great function, for those of us, that either can't get online with the gamecube, or simply just want to go to a friends house, and sit down and game with them.

Deathkiller
Nov 12, 2002, 04:43 PM
I just wish that I could somehow see items stats like how many slots are on an armor without actually equipping them...

CrashCat
Nov 12, 2002, 05:38 PM
On 2002-11-12 13:43, Deathkiller wrote:
I just wish that I could somehow see items stats like how many slots are on an armor without actually equipping them...
Try highlighting it in the equipment list and hitting X.

Sedyne
Nov 12, 2002, 06:14 PM
On 2002-11-11 22:25, DB wrote:
Personally, just for gameplay, I like to have at least two other friends playing with me. It's a blast! But, on to the more important issue. Yes, if you have three of four people playing, it is much easier to see. Considering, in two-player split screen, when your facing a boss, such as the dragon, you can't even tell if your doing damage! Also... Don't ya wish you could telepipe and go to town without your partner(s)? What's the big issue on that? And, the map, a literal pain... With four people, or even two, contesting for it, the things about worthless, and half the time you fight blind. The only real complaint, that makes two-player annoying, is that damned camera though. As aforementioned, the switchs are hard to see. Especially going through challenge mode... It can get pretty damned tough. Other than that, it's a great function, for those of us, that either can't get online with the gamecube, or simply just want to go to a friends house, and sit down and game with them.

issue with going to town only with your partner = cube is a piece of shit that can't process both town/level @ the same time =) simply put. i'm "ASSUMING" Xbox will be able to handle that, probably not but it definitly has more of a possibility of doing so. And offline 2 player is so annoying. I hate the menu and horizontal split. it's so annoying. oh well. >Goes back online

Hikaryuu
Nov 12, 2002, 08:56 PM
Odds are you'll still have to use the transporters at the same time. Most of the coding is just ported from the DC version it seems, the game definately isn't made to take advantague of being on a more powerful system.

ThresholdRPG
Nov 13, 2002, 04:48 AM
It definitely should have been split vertically (left and right).

I have no idea why they did it this way instead. It is terrible.

The eye is used to breaking things up left and right (that's how we read), and it would be less confusing to only focus on one half SIDE of the screen, rather than top or bottom.

pso_darkknight
Nov 13, 2002, 08:38 AM
On 2002-11-13 01:48, ThresholdRPG wrote:
It definitely should have been split vertically (left and right).

I have no idea why they did it this way instead. It is terrible.

The eye is used to breaking things up left and right (that's how we read), and it would be less confusing to only focus on one half SIDE of the screen, rather than top or bottom.

In china and japan. they read from above to below. Like this H
e
l
l
o http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

sonicblue
Nov 13, 2002, 01:44 PM
On 2002-11-13 05:38, pso_darkknight wrote:
In china and japan. they read from above to below. Like this
H
e
l
l
o http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

I think he has a point.

Kent
Nov 13, 2002, 03:17 PM
I haven't played PSO on GameCube, but for this type of game, splitting the screen horizontally would sem more ideal since, for the most part, there's no vertical movement.

If the screen was split vertically for two players, it'd be hard to see enemies to the left and right of your character, and the HP/TP/PB meters would take up the upper portion and controller layout would take up the bottom portion of your viewing area, enabling you to see even less.

DB
Nov 13, 2002, 03:38 PM
Either way, it's a smaller screen, and you have more, and more stuff to fit on it. Of course it's going to be more difficult to see. But, just ass that to the challenge of the game, and have fun with it. At least that's what i'm doing. Ad I can say, of course I like having a whole screen to myself. But I can also say, having my best friend next to me, killing shit, is just as priceless, without having to touch a key board.

faceless
Nov 14, 2002, 12:32 AM
for those who haven't tried it, you'll see tha 3 or 4 player split is better than 2 player split, even with the smaller screen, simply because you can see below your feet... and a vertical split would work way better!