PDA

View Full Version : Extra "tease" Mode is useless and pointless.

Flame
Oct 20, 2006, 10:39 AM
Sonic Team doesn't realize that if you're playing with a character that will never see the light of day online (extra mode) then you don't care about building up the character. In PSO, even if you never planned to go online, there was still the potential of doing so or playing multiplayer with friends. There was still the ability to do so. Extra mode is truely a lonely and isolated world that won't make you have any interest in customizing your character. If you ever sit down at cafe seat you'll realize just how empty the extra mode virtual world is. Hell all the people you try to run into just disappear for being simulations. Basically, all I'm saying is that without at least the potential of interacting with other players, the game is basically not nearly as fun as PSO was offline even. So. . .don't play extra mode. Ever. Unless it's absolutely all you have.

Starshape
Oct 20, 2006, 10:45 AM
Extra mode is for people who donīt have internet.. I feel sorry for them but thatīs the best they get...

A2K
Oct 20, 2006, 10:48 AM
Extra Mode is... Extra. Nothing more, nothing less.

Akaimizu
Oct 20, 2006, 10:50 AM
Well, I don't agree with the idea that Extra Mode isn't as fun as PSO offline. It definitely is, and has a lot more going for it.

Sure, you can't party with real people, and that's a loss, but it isn't the end of the world.

Extra Mode allows one to simply freely (and I do mean freely) explore different character options and see what they can do as they gain higher levels. You still have PMs, and you can actually hire NPC party members to deck out your party.

It's basically equivalent to playing Guild Wars, and simply only partying with hires.

EnixBelmont
Oct 20, 2006, 10:55 AM
I've been playign extra mode, and I love it. It's way more fun than regular story mode, at least, since I can't understand the story, and I can make my own character in extra mode.

It's an OK substitute for people who can' get online. If it had multiplayer it would have kicked ass, but eh, what are you gonna do. It's still a great way to pass the time before PSU comes out in english. IMO, at least.

Kyuu
Oct 20, 2006, 10:56 AM
Contrary to what you might think, a pretty hefty percentage of the people who bought and played PSO for the various systems never, in fact, went online. I myself played the Xbox PSO exclusively offline for a while.

Plus, considering how many videos of maxed out Extra Mode characters I've seen, I'd say a lot of people are getting something out of it.

Flame
Oct 20, 2006, 10:57 AM
I do understand that many people never went online in PSO. However the potential for doing so was still always there. Extra mode is indefinitely isolated. It's fun to mill around in there but it's horribly lonely.

Beezzy
Oct 20, 2006, 11:02 AM
On 2006-10-20 08:39, Flame wrote:
So. . .don't play extra mode. Ever. Unless it's absolutely all you have.

Don't tell me what to do!!

Akaimizu
Oct 20, 2006, 11:03 AM
Well, one only would feel lonely for real people. The NPCs and the PM do help quite a bit. That wasn't something single-player PSO had.

The option to take the offline char online is removed, to prevent offline hacking; but at least the option to play a Single-player offline mode with custom characters, is there. It also really helps in making character choices for online. I created characters like Mbareh with Extra Mode, tested them on the field, and got an idea for how I want them to play. I liked a few so much, I'll probably make online equivalents of them. It especially catches me if the whole in-character motif and background gels.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2006-10-20 09:09 ]</font>

Yoiyami
Oct 20, 2006, 11:05 AM
On 2006-10-20 09:02, Beezzy wrote:

On 2006-10-20 08:39, Flame wrote:
So. . .don't play extra mode. Ever. Unless it's absolutely all you have.

Don't tell me what to do!!

Fight da powah!

It sounds extra mode is just something to kill time with if the servers are down or your internet is out. It's optional, just there if you ever want it. Nothing wrong with that. I understand that it can get lonely, but that's what online play is for.

Silver_Wyrm
Oct 20, 2006, 11:06 AM
The two thigns that annoy me about extra mode
A) no multiplayer offline ._.
B) NO shared bank! *cries* and with A above it means that you can find an ultra rare and have nothing to do but sell it T_T

I'll live though, I want to play extra a bit before offline so I can test out weapons with classes to see which extra's I'm gonna want to take.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Silver_Wyrm on 2006-10-20 09:07 ]</font>

EnixBelmont
Oct 20, 2006, 11:07 AM
You level up really fast. It's like an RO private server. test your build? Well, maybe not, but at least see how you like the classes before you pick between ranger/force/hunter, try out all the weapopns to decide between fortefighter and figunner(I still can't decide >_<), etc.

Akaimizu
Oct 20, 2006, 11:12 AM
It's not a full test your build, but it does tell you a heck of a lot about your choices if you simply compare Extra Mode stuff to Extra Mode stuff. And while the online experience has different reward totals and such, and is tweaked; unless you're going for precise exact stat counts (as some people will do), you get a gist for overall broad differences.

Plus the fast level up makes sense given the current top level is higher offline than online. And the idea that, in general, they don't want you working so long to build your characer up, offline. Which I can understand. Most people aren't accustomed to progress as slow as an online game, offline.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2006-10-20 09:14 ]</font>

Silver_Wyrm
Oct 20, 2006, 11:13 AM
I mainly want to try the available weapons to see hwta I like best, since the extra's specialize in different weapons.

Kyuu
Oct 20, 2006, 11:20 AM
On 2006-10-20 08:57, Flame wrote:

I do understand that many people never went online in PSO. However the potential for doing so was still always there. Extra mode is indefinitely isolated. It's fun to mill around in there but it's horribly lonely.
But your assertation that the "potential for going online" was part of the appeal is complete supposition with no real foundation. I'm quite sure that most of those people who played exclusively offline weren't sitting around anxiously checking their bank account for an extra $10 to magically appear in their bank account every month so they could suddenly afford to get online. They bought and played knowing full well they'd never get online. Sort of like how I did on the Xbox PSO.

No one is arguing that you have to enjoy Extra Mode. But your argument that the inability to transfer offline Extra Mode characters to Network Mode makes it pointless and stupid is simply untrue. It may be true for you, but it's not for a lot of people. I'll probably be indulging in some Extra Mode time when I'm not online for whatever reason.

EnSill
Oct 20, 2006, 11:21 AM
On 2006-10-20 09:06, Silver_Wyrm wrote:
The two thigns that annoy me about extra mode
A) no multiplayer offline ._.
B) NO shared bank! *cries* and with A above it means that you can find an ultra rare and have nothing to do but sell it T_T

...or you can level the class you need to use it http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif
(Okay, if you're a Cast and you find a Claire weapon you surely can cry... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif )

Really they should've made a multiplayer offline mode... but PS2 is not powerful enough
And on PC... hum...
I can't remember if I ever saw multiplayer play on one PC.
(Maybe 2 players on an emulator or Mugen but that's all )

Flame
Oct 20, 2006, 11:23 AM
even if you never plan to go online in your life, I promise you that the fact that there is absolutely no possible chance for any interaction with any other player, be it online or off, hampers the experience. I won't push it further seeing as you seem to have taken it personally.

Spellbinder
Oct 20, 2006, 11:23 AM
I think of Extra Mode as Offline PSO reincarnated into PSU in a sense. In PSO offline you could make your own character, and simply run through all the stages and missions not necessarily being involved in the storyline. And with Extra Mode, we're given that same option. We can make our own unique character to play through the missions and areas that Ethan has been to. I personally think it's great~

Lovejuice
Oct 20, 2006, 11:25 AM
On 2006-10-20 08:56, Kyuu wrote:
Plus, considering how many videos of maxed out Extra Mode characters I've seen, I'd say a lot of people are getting something out of it.

Y'see, I attribute this to the fact a large number of people have downloaded the ISO and are using the offline loader to play Story/Extra and nothing more - as its all the PSU they can actually 'get' until Oct/Nov 24.

Unless you have no internet access, paying to import PSU and then not going online ever was just a waste of time in my opinion. Extra mode is a nice little thing, but you really are missing out if its all the PSU you ever get to play.

EnixBelmont
Oct 20, 2006, 11:32 AM
On 2006-10-20 09:25, Lovejuice wrote:

On 2006-10-20 08:56, Kyuu wrote:

Y'see, I attribute this to the fact a large number of people have downloaded the ISO and are using the offline loader to play Story/Extra and nothing more - as its all the PSU they can actually 'get' until Oct/Nov 24.

Unless you have no internet access, paying to import PSU and then not going online ever was just a waste of time in my opinion. Extra mode is a nice little thing, but you really are missing out if its all the PSU you ever get to play.

I wasted money on importing the PS2 version, then just got the loader and played it on my PC like I should have to begin with >_<

Ryogen
Oct 20, 2006, 11:33 AM
That is why it's called EXTRA mode. DUH. Besides you can learn far more offline becuase you level faster. I don't see how people make these views when they haven't even touched the extra mode (in english).

azjazo
Oct 20, 2006, 11:39 AM
extra mode was not mean to be inlcuded in offline, they added it cuz ifthe werent ppl would complaind about an entire feture of the game (caracter cration) missed. So Extra mode its more like a "hax" for the offline storyline

Tycho
Oct 20, 2006, 11:53 AM
I think I like it, because it requires a LOT less time to accomplish stuff. Really, if you'd wanna know what certain Techs, decorations or SUVs are like or whatever, it's a great place to try them out.
Otherwise? Yes, Extra is pretty pointless.

Callous
Oct 20, 2006, 11:57 AM
I'll be playing extra mode a lot. There are times when I just don't want to socialize and then it'll be awesome to be able to just muck around with Extra mode. Yes, I know I could just lock myself in a game online, but then there'll be the messages to deal with from people wondering why I don't love them anymore :P

DreamLocke
Oct 20, 2006, 12:01 PM
I'm using extra mode to try out classes I won't be using online. Sometimes you get tired of grinding it out with the same guy for 100+hours... And the accelerated leveling is genius.

While it sucks you can't bring them online, I totally agree with online characters being server-side only. Everybody and their momma hacked PSO, including yo momma.

Pikku
Oct 20, 2006, 12:04 PM
Even though PSO was online and Offline and Offline had Multiplayer I NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER played offline with anyone... I always played alone. It was like my time to play by myself or even level my character if I couldnt get online for some reason. Also I liked story mode and the missions and what not.
Seeing that Extra mode characters wont be the same ones you use online I dont see myself playing extra mode unless I cant get online or of course if I just want to play alone.
Sheesh the way you talk its like you cant stand to be alone atleast sometimes in your life... you wont have someone with you all the time >.>
And dont forget the old saying, "You might have others but everyone dies alone".
No Im not Emo or anything but hey come on... everyone need their privacy once in a while dont you think? Or their so call "Me time".
I feel sorry for those you cant stand being alone for even 1 second -.-......

Callous
Oct 20, 2006, 12:05 PM
Wasn't Blue Burst hacked to death despite server side saving?

DreamLocke
Oct 20, 2006, 12:11 PM
Wasn't Blue Burst hacked to death despite server side saving?

Sure it was, but on the consoles it eliminates people using gameshark like devices. Everybody with internet could find out hack codes.

Callous
Oct 20, 2006, 12:14 PM
Well, us PS2 players are linked with PC players, so we're screwed in that regard anyway :/

Percival
Oct 20, 2006, 12:34 PM
Hello.

Extra mode is a nice little sandbox where I will have my visiting friends playing the game.

Have a nice day.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Percival on 2006-10-20 10:35 ]</font>

BlueInfinity
Oct 20, 2006, 12:39 PM
if I recall the remeber sega saying that the ps2 couldn't handle multiplayer offline for the ps2

adamgnome104
Oct 20, 2006, 02:16 PM
You do realize that they call it EXTRA mode for a reason don't you? It's EXTRA! That's it, lol!!

Tystys
Oct 20, 2006, 02:27 PM
Yeah, you don't have to play it if you want to. There are some people who have enjoyed Extra to an extent. Don't believe me? Check the Pics/Movie topic. There are a large amount of Extra Mode pics

FenixStryk
Oct 20, 2006, 02:39 PM
Looks like I was beaten to the punch, so I guess I'll just reiterate: Extra Mode is there only for you to test things out with a personal chracter in an accelerated "online" simulation. Use EXTRA Mode if you have EXTRA time, e.g., when Sega adds something EXTRA to the servers. It's EXTRA. Get it?

DoubleJG
Oct 20, 2006, 04:31 PM
As stated many times already, extra mode is simply EXTRA. Have no internet? Not enough money to pay the monthly fee? Extra mode allows those people to enjoy the customization and freedom which is somewhat similar to network mode. There is no reason, ever, to flame Extra Mode or why someone doesn't intend on playing online. I mean, people do have lives outside of games, and bills, and dates to treat, so, PSU is at the bottom of their priority list. Extra Mode ftw. I can glady say "thanks sega" for including that for those who can't make it online...

I'll be playing both, but, online mainly simply because I have access. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

-Break-
Oct 20, 2006, 04:33 PM
On 2006-10-20 12:27, Tystys wrote:
Yeah, you don't have to play it if you want to. There are some people who have enjoyed Extra to an extent. Don't believe me? Check the Pics/Movie topic. There are a large amount of Extra Mode pics

That's also because a large amount of people can't get online in the Japanese version due to lack of a Japanese credit card and whatnot.