PDA

View Full Version : Okay, let's talk about Beasts

kirinano
Oct 20, 2006, 12:51 PM
I'm seeing a lot of posts that suggest people think beasts aren't very good.

Some are for visual reasons (some people don't like their ears and faces). Personally, I think they look awesome, but that's not really why I made this topic.

Some are for ATA reasons (I guess they whiff a lot face-on). This is the main thing I'm posting about.

Personally, I've always liked a challenge in my games, so I won't let 'the bad press' stop me from being a beast. But, I would like to hear more (especially from importers but also from anyone who's really put thought into this) about beasts and their ability to do well in PSU.

Maybe this is stupid, but isn't the answer to their ATA problem simply to use ATA-raising units?

With the best ATP in the game they won't need to add as much ATP-raising units, so why not just focus on increasing their ATA through units? Wouldn't that solve 'the problem'?

Anyway, since I haven't played this game yet, I'm not even trying to pretend to be an expert or have the answers. But I really like the idea of the beast characters and plan to be one. So, I'd like to see what people think, especially the people who know way more about this than me.

Magician
Oct 20, 2006, 12:55 PM
I intend on being a beast, I love'em.

James2006
Oct 20, 2006, 12:56 PM
I have played beta as a beast for awhile and missing in melee is not a problem (even head on) as long as the enemy is of a similar level. Beasts struggle a bit more using guns but overall beast's ATA was not a problem for melee.

kirinano
Oct 20, 2006, 12:56 PM
Oh, and before anyone says 'Don't worry about stats - just play what you like' ~ I know that!

BUT... what I want to know is can beasts, over time, grow into a character that really does excel at hunter as good as (or better) than the other races?

Casts seem to be destined to be the best RA's with their killer ATA.

Newmen have the FO area covered with their awesome MST and TAP.

Humans, of course, are the most balanced.

Beasts are supposedly the best HU's but can they really become the best HU's or are they flawed?

That's what I'm wondering about.

Mwabwetumba
Oct 20, 2006, 12:57 PM
I dig beasts aswell, and would probably have one as my main, had the casts not gotten humanoid faces to choose from.
Now I can finally have my armoured afro-man!

And I dont think the ATA will be such great a hinderance for beasts because, as you said, their racial ATP allows them to focus on their ATA with stat-raising units..

NiteOwl
Oct 20, 2006, 12:58 PM
I've played a beast fairly extensively during the 360 beta. Sure, that's not the same as playing to a high level in the import, but I got her up to level 20 and am having a lot of fun with her. So far, the lower ATA has been a non-issue. I do seem to whiff quite a bit against creatures 10 levels higher than I am, but I use quick weapons, so I do manage to hit eventually. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif And I deal out quite a bit of damage when I do hit. Plus photon arts help out a great deal, since I seem to miss a lot less often when I'm using those.

Also, once you hit 20, you can get the blast badge that gives you increased accuracy and evasion. Sure, it only lasts for 50 seconds, but any little bit helps! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

And yes, I'd say that units are probably the great equalizer in PSU. Pump up your accuracy and you'll be good, I reckon.

I think a beast character can work out just fine. I plan to be a beast fortefighter, for sure.

Weak
Oct 20, 2006, 12:58 PM
Just because it's the lowest doesn't mean it's at a disadvantage.

But yes, ATA units pretty much fix the disparity.

kirinano
Oct 20, 2006, 01:02 PM
I'm feeling better already. Thanks for the posts!
>Everyone

uhawww
Oct 20, 2006, 01:03 PM
Beasts rock.
Level 46 and kickin' ass.

0s (missing) get a little annoying, but weapons from the right Manufacturer do a decent job at leveling that out.

I, personally, have found my niche with heavy weapons (Axe or Sword), which, surprisingly, you don't see a large cross-section of on JP servers, so I'm a welcome offset and make quick clean-up work of enemies your team mates have either knocked down or incapacitated.

Also, with certain PAs, especially Sword Lv21+, you clear out any groups, allowing your team to smash enemies individually in sweeping fashion.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: uhawww on 2006-10-20 11:04 ]</font>

Bast
Oct 20, 2006, 01:04 PM
Thank you Kirinano for creating this thread. If you didn't, I would've.

I am definitely going to create a male Beast hunter as my main character. I've read around that even though Beast has the lowest ATA, it isn't a dramatic problem. In addition, if you attempt to strike an enemy from behind it is a sure 100% hit.

Of course I've never played PSU import or Beta other wise. These are things that I've read and searched on the forum. For those who have real life experience please let me know If I am wrong.

But regardless, definitely going to make my Beast.

Thanks!

kirinano
Oct 20, 2006, 01:08 PM
On 2006-10-20 11:03, uhawww wrote:
Beasts rock.
Level 46 and kickin' ass.

0s (missing) get a little annoying, but weapons from the right Manufacturer do a decent job at leveling that out.

I, personally, have found my niche with heavy weapons (Axe or Sword), which, surprisingly, you don't see a large cross-section of on JP servers, so I'm a welcome offset and make quick clean-up work of enemies your team mates have either knocked down or incapacitated.

Also, with certain PAs, especially Sword Lv21+, you clear out any groups, allowing your team to smash enemies individually in sweeping fashion.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: uhawww on 2006-10-20 11:04 ]</font>

Nice ~ that sounds awesome! Thanks for posting all that, uhawww.

That also reminds of yet another thing I know nothing about: the way teams 'feel' in PSU. What I mean is, now that we can have up to six people in a team, plus a slightly different way in how we fight overall, I'm guessing lots of little stuff feels different in battle. But I'm rambling... Oh! But the parts that ON TOPIC is the part you said about being strong enough to finish off stunned or knocked-over monsters. That's cool, I never even thought of that!

And Bast: no problem, glad this topic is helpful to you, too.

uhawww
Oct 20, 2006, 01:15 PM
On 2006-10-20 11:08, kirinano wrote:
Oh! But the parts that ON TOPIC is the part you said about being strong enough to finish off stunned or knocked-over monsters. That's cool, I never even thought of that!

Well, I finally got an axe after much meseta sunk into synthing it.
It's very slow, which makes it sometimes difficult to use against groups of fast moving enemies, but great against bosses and other large enemies (Coltobas, Jarbas, etc).
If there's any increased chance of hitting (monster is stunned, knocked down, slow enough to flank or broadside), I like to unload with the axe.
Doing 300+ standard hits and 700+ crits will make you stand out in a party...
The PA sends them flying backwards, so it's useful in disrupting groups of enemies. Having boosted HP due to being a Beast is a godsend, cause using larger weapons, you will get hit, and more often than you'd like.
With similar weapons, I've clearly out damaged Hunters/ForteFighters of other races of higher Level, if even by slight margin. I think in the end, with what's provided to players, all the races have a more equivalent handle on class distribution than most think.
I've played alongside everything under the sun, from great Cast Forces to great Beast Rangers...
It's all a matter of application and execution.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: uhawww on 2006-10-20 11:25 ]</font>

EnixBelmont
Oct 20, 2006, 01:16 PM
They will be about equal to cast hunters thanks to nanoblast. Pure stat wise, I say casts are better.

Think of it this way. In PSO, God/Arm raised your accuracy by 15, whereas god power raised it by 50(right? I forget XD). With 4 god/arms, a beast at level 60 STILL wouldn't have as much as a cast with the default accuracy. Whereas a cast could use all the units for power, and one for an SUV, if they want, and not only have better power than a beast, they will also have more accuracy. Nanoblast is a bit better than SUV IMO, though, so they end up about even.(IMO, with casts slightly better.)

Mwabwetumba
Oct 20, 2006, 01:19 PM
Dont forget that ATP and ATA worked on different levels.. 300 ATA was quite nice to have and gave you a good chance of hitting everywhere, whilst 300 ATP is what you should have at the end of normal... probably more!

Weak
Oct 20, 2006, 01:22 PM
On 2006-10-20 11:16, EnixBelmont wrote:
They will be about equal to cast hunters thanks to nanoblast. Pure stat wise, I say casts are better.

Think of it this way. In PSO, God/Arm raised your accuracy by 15, whereas god power raised it by 50(right? I forget XD). With 4 god/arms, a beast at level 60 STILL wouldn't have as much as a cast with the default accuracy. Whereas a cast could use all the units for power, and one for an SUV, if they want, and not only have better power than a beast, they will also have more accuracy. Nanoblast is a bit better than SUV IMO, though, so they end up about even.(IMO, with casts slightly better.)

I have to disagree.

You're saying that Casts are great Rangers, and they're the best Hunters.

They're not the best hunters, and neither are beasts. One doesn't massively overpower the other.

EnixBelmont
Oct 20, 2006, 01:27 PM
On 2006-10-20 11:22, Weak wrote:

On 2006-10-20 11:16, EnixBelmont wrote:

I have to disagree.

You're saying that Casts are great Rangers, and they're the best Hunters.

They're not the best hunters, and neither are beasts. One doesn't massively overpower the other.

I know one doesn't massively overpower the other. Isn't that exactly what I just said?

kirinano
Oct 20, 2006, 02:26 PM
On 2006-10-20 11:15, uhawww wrote:

On 2006-10-20 11:08, kirinano wrote:
Oh! But the parts that ON TOPIC is the part you said about being strong enough to finish off stunned or knocked-over monsters. That's cool, I never even thought of that!

Well, I finally got an axe after much meseta sunk into synthing it.
It's very slow, which makes it sometimes difficult to use against groups of fast moving enemies, but great against bosses and other large enemies (Coltobas, Jarbas, etc).
If there's any increased chance of hitting (monster is stunned, knocked down, slow enough to flank or broadside), I like to unload with the axe.
Doing 300+ standard hits and 700+ crits will make you stand out in a party...
The PA sends them flying backwards, so it's useful in disrupting groups of enemies. Having boosted HP due to being a Beast is a godsend, cause using larger weapons, you will get hit, and more often than you'd like.
With similar weapons, I've clearly out damaged Hunters/ForteFighters of other races of higher Level, if even by slight margin. I think in the end, with what's provided to players, all the races have a more equivalent handle on class distribution than most think.
I've played alongside everything under the sun, from great Cast Forces to great Beast Rangers...
It's all a matter of application and execution.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: uhawww on 2006-10-20 11:25 ]</font>

Thanks again, uhawww. You've posted some of the most detailed stuff about beast hu's I've read yet. I'm interested in EVERYTHING to do with beasts, so thank-you very much!

Domo arigato gozaimasu
>uhawww-san

kirinano
Oct 20, 2006, 04:01 PM
Oh! Another question on the topic of Beasts...

Has anyone tried playing a Beast as a FO?

Just wondering how that went. My main goal is to get good at fortefighter, but eventually I also want my beast to have wartecher ready to go so depending on what the team needs I can switch up.

I always see people (for obvious reasons) talking about beast HU's. Anyone try a beast FO in the beta or import?

mechatra
Oct 20, 2006, 04:17 PM
I can't honestly say I've tried a Beast FO myself. I'm again one of those Beast Fortefighters (Lvl 42 now! w00!)

But! One of the people I often play with originally started off as a newman Force, then restarted as a beast Force after being inspired by my chars Nanoblasting.

From what we spoke about, Beast forces do deal roughly 3/4 to 1/2 of the damage newmans do with technics, yet their physical strength and far higher HP count makes them alot more reliable if things are getting close and rough. They're still fragile in comparison to Hunters of course, but they can hold their own.

Sadly enough the stat buffing spells have not been released yet, so I cannot really say for sure, but I believe that A beast would be a very strong candidate for a Wartecher, by buffing their/and their teamates stats, along with healing the group , and dealing strong mellee damage along with it, mixing in some technics for mellee resistant enemies.

------------

On a side note, coinsiding with Uhawww's posts.
I often team up with Uhawww, and if realised something about smaller teams when theres no variation in class.
We both use Beast Fortefighters, yet our weapons of choice when doing runs are very important to our overall performance.

Being Beasts we're both all about the melee, only switching to Dagger/handgun combos for flying enemies.

I find our combination works very well for a two man team.
Uhawww as he said mainly uses Swords (along with axes now w00) Which are slow crowd-striking weapons, with high power.
I find that when I use a slow weapon along side him, we end up taking a fair bit of damage.
HOWEVER, My weapon of choice is the spear which I find perfect for my beast due to it's high accuracy along with very high atp, and concentrated attack pattern.

Now the spear attacks rather quickly in a linear fashion, and the PA attacks in a cone shape directly infront of you repeatedly, causing heavy damage in a small area. This is very handy since my faster attacks in aimed areas support Uhawwws heavy, slower, powerfull group attacks.
Once he clears enemies to the floor, I can hold back on or two of them whilst he deals with the other two on the other side of the room.

The main point im trying to get across is - Two hunters using slow weapons get alot of punishment, but two faster weapons often dont do enough crowd damage to get things done quickly. Varied use in a team of both faster, and slower weapons make great teamwork.

^_^

kirinano
Oct 20, 2006, 04:20 PM
That was a very cool post, mechatra. Thanks for typing all that in. I really appreciate it.

That will be cool, once I make friends in PSU, to coordinate what types of weapons we're using and stuff.

Candor
Oct 20, 2006, 05:59 PM
People often confuse having the lowest ATA as having so little that you can't hit. Frankly i'm glad most people see it this way, means that each beast will be unique due to a lower population (unlike casts). Also our "weakness" is the only one the can be fixed by something as easy as changing your position in relation to your target.

all in all, i can't wait to make my beast figunner http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Elleranda
Oct 20, 2006, 06:09 PM
Just thought this might be interesting to hear: I was fighting those holy knight mob things and switched to red nanoblast to kick some ass. Well, after I did this, my hit percentage dropped to about 20% from about 90% with a sword. Anyone know what happened there?

Cause_I_Own_U
Oct 20, 2006, 06:29 PM
Nerds

Kaply
Oct 20, 2006, 08:28 PM
Beast FO has issues with equipping longbows, because apparently that has an ATA requirement which beasts have a hard time to begin with. Same issue happens with rangers. ATA just goes up slowly overall. The main reason why it works for HU is because the weapon have a POW requirement and with higher POW you have access to higher star weapons which means higher ATA.

kirinano
Oct 21, 2006, 12:40 PM
Thanks, Kaply. That makes sense to me. I'm guessing HU really is the way to go with beasts at low level, then later on try out the other classes when my beast's main level is high enough to handle RA and FO jobs better.