PDA

View Full Version : Ranger Race

HaloMaster24
Oct 20, 2006, 07:07 PM
A question for those playing the 360 beta, or maybe everyone in general.

I tried a CAST RA. I wanted to try a Human RA but now am unable to make any more characters because the server drops every time I attempt to make one.

Is there or would you assume there is a noticable disadvantage to being a Human as opposed to Newman or Cast RA? I mean they have a significantly lower amount of ATA and ATP. Does anyone that has tried it have any opinions?

Apprectiate any input.

FenixStryk
Oct 20, 2006, 07:07 PM
If you're a Ranger, you better be a CAST. It helps. A LOT.

Ether
Oct 20, 2006, 07:08 PM
Statistically speaking, theres no reason not to use cast unless you want to be a guntecher later on

BlueInfinity
Oct 20, 2006, 07:09 PM
On 2006-10-20 17:08, Ether wrote:
Statistically speaking, theres no reason not to use cast unless you want to be a guntecher later on

o.O must....keep...clicking....sig.

BioWarrior
Oct 20, 2006, 07:14 PM
I'd say make whatever you want, units can easily help you out alot.

Garroway
Oct 20, 2006, 07:15 PM
I tried both a Cast Ranger and a Newman Ranger and there certainly are differences, but those differences are not game breaking. I think your best course of action would be to make both and play which ever you feel like playing at the time. You'll settle into the character that best suits you soon enough. I found that I liked playing the Newman despite the technicaly inferior stat line.

Itsuki
Oct 20, 2006, 09:05 PM
Its not completely "technically" inferior. In a strict DPS scenario, yes, the cast wins out. But in actual play the newman is actually the more defensive ranger. I know that sounds weird, but its true. I'm a statistics kind of person, so I like numbers:

Cast Ranger:
~2% greater ATA (after class bonuses)
(at level 50, this comes alot closer to 1% with weapons equipped. Basically non-existant other than MAYBE being able to equip a weapon a level earlier)
~25% greater natural ATP (after class bonuses)
(at level 50, this is roughly 10% more combined ATP on rifles/handguns, 15-20% more combined ATP on mechguns/shotguns)
~20% greater HP (after class bonuses)
~25% greater DEF (after class bonuses)
(at level 50, with 5s grm armor, this is about a 10% difference in DEF, even less of a difference with better armor)

Newman Ranger:
~50% greater EVA (class not effected)
(at level 50, with grm armor, about 30% difference in EVA, less with better armor)
~275% greater MST (class not effected)
(at level 50, with grm armor, about 50% difference in MST, less with better armor)

Basically, what I'm trying to say is, yes, a cast statistically has better DPS and stats. But because of the bonuses you get for leveling your class and the addition of weapons and armor, these advantages become almost not noticable. A 10% difference is barely noticable. Mechguns are noticable, but they're more of a utility weapon than a damage weapon, so that difference is also negligable. When it comes down to it, you have two options:

1) More HP and effectiveness with shotguns
2) More EVA and MST

EDIT: Oh and I used the stats for a gigaline since that was really the armor of choice for a while, and you still see them all over.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Itsuki-chan on 2006-10-20 19:19 ]</font>

Sizzors
Oct 20, 2006, 09:11 PM
On 2006-10-20 17:07, FenixStryk wrote:
If you're a Ranger, you better be a CAST. It helps. A LOT.

Plus a robot holding a gun looks cool.

^_^

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sizzors on 2006-10-20 19:12 ]</font>

Garroway
Oct 20, 2006, 09:19 PM
I've never committed to doing the math but maybe you have...

What are the overall statiscal differences between the 50% higher evasion versus the 20% greater HP and the 25% greater DEF? I know on average it means Newmans will dodge more often and Casts will be able to take more punishment, but on average will the Newmans superior dodge compensate for lower defense and HP? It seems to balance out fairly evenly but my overall experience with the game is rather limited.

Typhoeus
Oct 20, 2006, 09:43 PM
EVA is what makes you take 0 damage right? A block of sorts?

Arias
Oct 21, 2006, 04:00 AM
no, EVA makes you avoid the enemies attacks....or wait, I'm talking PSO...dunno about PSU, does it make you take 0damage?:D
Cast ranger ftw though, I'm making one

Kent
Oct 21, 2006, 04:04 AM
In PSU, a "miss" is shown as taking zero damage. When you block an attack (due to EVP kicking in), a red zero appears, as well as your character performing the blocking animation.

NeuroNomad
Oct 21, 2006, 04:13 AM
On 2006-10-20 17:09, BlueInfinity wrote:

On 2006-10-20 17:08, Ether wrote:

o.O must....keep...clicking....sig.

Blue how I wish I hadn't stopped to look at your sig. LOL.

Diablohead
Oct 21, 2006, 07:00 AM
Ppsh so many going cast, my Newman ranger FTW!

Realmz
Oct 21, 2006, 08:13 AM
On 2006-10-21 05:00, Diablohead wrote:
Ppsh so many going cast, my Newman ranger FTW!

my newm hunter would like very much to partner with you...