PDA

View Full Version : Dual Daggers or Spear?

Zorafim
Oct 20, 2006, 09:41 PM
I have a lance fetish, and was glad to hear that spears didn't suck. I've also always liked inverted daggers. However, with the seperation of classes, I can only get an Srank with one of them. So, either I can use a spear with a fortefighter and use knuckles for closer combat, or I can go figunner and use daggers exlusively. Can I get some opinions?

DizzyDi
Oct 20, 2006, 09:46 PM
Or you can go Fortefighter and just have to deal with using A-rank daggers.
Or go Figunner and deal with A-rank Spears.
Just flip a coin or something.

Banert
Oct 20, 2006, 09:47 PM
I'd go Fortefighter, you can get spear and dagger PA's to 30 and use both, only downside is A-rank daggers, but hey, i'd say it's your best bet.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Banert on 2006-10-20 19:47 ]</font>

Parn
Oct 20, 2006, 09:48 PM
Honestly, you're better off trying all the weapons as you level hunter and discover for yourself which style you prefer. You'll have a lot of levels of play under your belt before you'll need to make a decision, and even then, you can switch classes at any time.

Zorafim
Oct 20, 2006, 09:48 PM
I guess I do have quite a time to discover which weapon I prefer. I'll definately use both as a hunter, so maybe I'll be able to find one I can part with. I wonder if the difference between S and A is anything noticable...

Why must I be forced to choose... It's like seperating from a child, only not as tramatic...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zorafim on 2006-10-20 19:56 ]</font>

MXdude
Oct 20, 2006, 09:51 PM
They should let us make custom classes. Let each character choose a set amount of S rank weapons that they want to use.

Banert
Oct 20, 2006, 09:52 PM
I wish, maybe someday...

Cause_I_Own_U
Oct 20, 2006, 09:56 PM
Claws, daggers, heh same diff to me id go fortehunter

Flunky
Oct 20, 2006, 09:56 PM
I've always liked spears too, but I had trouble liking them in the 360 beta.

Daggers (especially twin daggers) are fast, close-range weapons that seem to be designed for either in the fray or hit and run tactics. Regular attack combo is quick, not much wait after a combo. PAs are quick, generally hurt everything around you. Great for going it alone, good for frontline fighting in a party (from my experience... up to low 20s)

Spears are rather different. Pretty darn high ATP, okay ATA, and good range. They even hit multiple targets with regular attacks! However... the animation is a bit cumbersome, as you attack in a cone forward stabbing- but also move forward, with a bit of a wait time after the 3rd hit in the combo. Especially when going it alone I found myself constantly open to attack using spears. The basic PA in the beta was similar to the regular attack- forward cone, high power, lower ATA. I got the impression that it was a handy weapon to have as a party support fighter (hitting multiple targets, high power, etc.), but beyond that meh.

Where was I going with this... I suppose I can summarize by saying that considering the sound of those two, think about what style of fighting you like more. It's not like you can only pick one weapon, though- as Parn said, don't be afraid to try everything out! It's not that expensive to buy a couple of extra weapons to try out.

In fact, I'd suggest that at one point or another you try every weapon type. Observing someone fight with a certain weapon, in my opinion, is much different than actually getting a feel for it. You'll probably find a weapon type you initially dismissed being quite fun.

Shiro_Ryuu
Oct 20, 2006, 10:03 PM
I agree with Parn, see which one you like. In the end though, both Figunner and Fortefighter have level 30 skills.

FenixStryk
Oct 20, 2006, 10:08 PM
I'd say go with the daggers. Much more reliable.