PDA

View Full Version : Longbow Bullets Question

UltraDeeDer
Oct 21, 2006, 05:34 AM
Playing through the beta I have decided upon a Force class.

As a to be Force majoring in Earth (Just cause its soo cool, but i will get buffs too and maybe check out light and dark) I noticed the lack of range for many earth elemental attacks and decided upon the Longbow for fighting airborn enemies (dragons and the like from what I saw in the Beta) and wanted to know the advantages to the Longbow at higher bullet levels. Are there any? Does anyone else care? I do not think the element for my bullet will matter too much but I will decide upon either Fire or Electricity. Ice doesn't seem to effect airborn enemies as it does ground based ones (Presumtion of course) and if I major in earth it seems overboard to have earth bullets too. Electricity seems usefull for paralyzation but Fire has burning. Electricity is also the opposite of Earth, maybe that will be best for covering weakness. I also have to consider newman's crap ATA (from what everyone says) and I remember something of it using ATP or somthin. Anyway: What happens to the longbow at higher levels?

Comments on my wisdom maybe?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: UltraDeeDer on 2006-10-21 03:35 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: UltraDeeDer on 2006-10-21 03:46 ]</font>

Realmz
Oct 21, 2006, 06:22 AM
crap ata? i've always heard that newmens have the second highest ata

UltraDeeDer
Oct 21, 2006, 06:33 AM
That may be. I never checked the stats between the races, I just assumed that was because of what the people from the thread I just read said. Anyway there wasn't any Newman rangers in Pso, and from what i experienced in the demo they seemed to miss alot with handguns. But hey if they do then thats great!

BadYeti
Oct 21, 2006, 06:36 AM
First off, keep in mind that linking a bullet to your bow will incur a pretty stiff ATA penalty. While the bullet might increase your ATP to 120% of its base value or so, it will decrease your ATA to around 60% of its base value. The penalty does decrease as you increase your photon art, but it's at least something to consider.

So if you're concerned about your ATA and you're having trouble hitting enemies with your bow, you might want to consider holding off on linking a bullet to it and just use it in its natural state. You'll do a bit less damage and won't proc the status effects, but at least you'd be hitting your opponents.

That said, your comment about ice status effects not processing on flying creatures isn't accurate. Flying creatures can be encased in ice, just as easily as ground-based ones. Try shooting some Shagreece with ice (those fire-breathing vulture looking guys) on the Plains Overload quest.

Given the current content, I've got to say I'm a big fan of choosing ice for your longbow if you're going to link any bullet. The enemies for which you'd be looking for a good long range attack would be the fliers, the bosses and maybe those Goshin worm guys on Mizuraki Defense. All of those enemies are Fire-based.

I'm sure when more content comes out there will be a bigger variety of flying enemies and bosses, but so far they're all Fire-based, so Ice seems like a great way to start.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BadYeti on 2006-10-21 04:38 ]</font>

Ether
Oct 21, 2006, 06:38 AM
Newman have terrible power and awesome accuracy, but since bows are very strong it makes up for newmans lack of strength.

If you are going to go with one bullet though, I'd go with ice, since the flying enemies on Parum and Moatoob are both fire element, and freezing things in midair is just awesome

UltraDeeDer
Oct 21, 2006, 06:52 AM
Well then! The more I am proved wrong the better I am liking the bow! The status effects of Ice I guess seem to be much more effective for ranged attack and I guess now being incased in ice, unable to move or attack is better than just not attacking. I also assumed that Electricity had a higher percentage for Status Effects than Ice (But that was only an opinion given from a ranger i partied with, i never compared the stats for them). Unless someone has a reason why Ice isnt the best choice here: Does anyone know how a bow levels?

Cojiro
Oct 21, 2006, 07:16 AM
I wanted to go for an ice bow too. Does anyone know of a video of something freezing in midair? I'd like to see that O_o
Reading this just cemented my choise!

Itsuki
Oct 21, 2006, 01:06 PM
Ice is really the way to go. Not only for those flying guys, but also for onma the ice bullets can be useful.

Also, newman ATA is barely lower than cast. After weapons are counted in, its almost no difference in ATA. The problem is that FORCES have crap ATA. But either way, all bullets have crappy ata, so you'll be stuck missing anyways.

Vhex
Oct 21, 2006, 01:40 PM
On 2006-10-21 11:06, Itsuki-chan wrote:
...The problem is that FORCES have crap ATA. But either way, all bullets have crappy ata, so you'll be stuck missing anyways.

Equip HIT S units.

Itsuki
Oct 21, 2006, 01:58 PM
unit you mean, since you can only equip one arm unit. And chances are as a force you'll already have that on if you have that slot on your armor. But theres only so much you can compensate.

Vhex
Oct 21, 2006, 02:33 PM
Well, you don't really need that much. I think if you use a stella/hit S to level up your bullet PAs to rid your self of the nasty ATA penalties, than switch to a perpa/hit, you should be fine.

pso123hrf
Oct 21, 2006, 02:42 PM
Hrm...yeah I've been wondering about thoes silly bows/crossbows. Does anyone know if a fan is 2 handed?

-Break-
Oct 21, 2006, 02:43 PM
Fan is one handed. You can have a wand at the same time.
On a side note,
I'd like to thank Itsuki-chan and Ether for the Fan video http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: -Break- on 2006-10-21 12:44 ]</font>