PDA

View Full Version : Help with Ranger soloing please... :D

Nestahima
Oct 21, 2006, 09:46 AM
Help with Ranger soloing please... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

While the PSU 360 beta was up, my favorite class (in a group) was by FAR the Ranger. I prefered Dual Handguns or one Handgun (or Mechgun) with a cane while using ice bullets. This would naturally lead me to be a Guntecher.

My favorite is by far Dual Handguns, but here is where I ran into my problem --

Soloing.

A Ranger, no matter what I do, cannot seem to solo effectively while relying strictly on Dual Handguns or Rifles. They must do a Dagger/Sword + Handgun/Mechgun combo or a Wand + Handgun/Mechgun combo.

This not only leads me to believe that Rangers have a tough time soloing with strictly ranged weapons, but that Fortegunners would be extremely difficult to solo with.

My question is -- has anyone been able to solo effectively with strictly Dual Handguns/Rifles or something of that sort without a wand or a sword type as well?

Grr
Oct 21, 2006, 09:59 AM
I was able to solo the B ranks right when they opened, however going back and having to recharge your weapons is going to be a pain.
Esp. after you get nano/SUV , and your guage resets when you go to the lobby to recharge.

As for my soloing tips. level Ice shotgun while your in a party. after 11 it gets another bulltet. also ice rifle get SE3or 4 (i forget) at 11 , and the apply rate on freeze increases , and you can solo pretty much anything if its frozen solid.

I did carry a spear , but that was only for the large enemies in the ruins with two targets zones , other wise i used two ice rifles on medium to large enemies , and a pair of twin burn handguns on the smaller stuff

EDIT: I suppose Fotegunner will be much better at solo, because G.launcher will clear groups better than shotty (keep shotty levled though for point blank SE/damage) and laser cannon wil be fantastic if you can line enemies up.

>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Grr on 2006-10-21 08:08 ]</font>

AC9breaker
Oct 21, 2006, 10:15 AM
Actually I solo pretty good with shotgun. Having all four elementals leveled past eleven will make it easier to solo too. One thing to note is that becuase of PP cost increase in levels, you can expect to empty your shotguns PP once you get past level eleven bullets. Unlike when you first start leveling a bullet with shotgun, emptying it will be an improbability. Normally though, My weapon palette is this, Two different Dual handguns, a Rifle, a Shotgun and either a Spear or a Saber and Mechgun combo.

Here's my routine, I usually use the shotgun for the general wave enemies. These are either the four legged rushing creatures the humanoid/force teching creatures or the really small, weak, cute creatures. Of course I'm usually switching elements to get more efficiany out of my PP. My Mechgun Sabre combo or spear combo is usually reserved for really huge tougher then usual enemy types for the areas. These are like the wanna be Del Biter guys The Gibbles, the dinosaur looking guys in Mootube, etc. When there are multiple kinds of these kind of enemies, thats when I break out the dual handguns or, when there are a bunch of standard normal enemies and like one big guy.
My rifle is used for bringing down flying enemies with the appropiate bullet, or for picking off enemies who get stuck or are far away and don't realize my presence yet.

Nestahima
Oct 21, 2006, 10:21 AM
I never even tried using the shotgun in the beta, I might have to try that when PSU actually comes out.

AC9breaker
Oct 21, 2006, 10:25 AM
Actually, I don't think Gr. Launcher will be a viable soloing weapon becuase of its shot projection. Its seems like it can only hit enemies from a distance. Which will be a problem becuase the enemies on PSu know how to quickly gain ground and close in on you. Perhaps for boss fights or Big slow enemies with multiple damage spots. But its hard to say since I don'te have the requirments to use use one yet.

Nestahima
Oct 21, 2006, 10:36 AM
http://synbios.net/games/PSU/guntecher.jpg

http://synbios.net/games/PSU/fortegunner.jpg

With the weapons that you guys use, it would seem as the Fortegunner would be the class to use.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Nestahima on 2006-10-21 08:36 ]</font>

AC9breaker
Oct 21, 2006, 10:50 AM
Actually, thats my Plan. To be a Fortegunner. However I am also planning on messing around with Protranser. That Class to me seems like its gonna be the diamond in the rough.

Nestahima
Oct 21, 2006, 04:58 PM
Bump for any other insight. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

ProfessorZ
Oct 21, 2006, 05:02 PM
I loved using the spear being a ranger. But I'm going for Fighunner

FenixStryk
Oct 21, 2006, 05:03 PM
Use your guns, and when you run out of ammo, go back to town, reload at town, then go back. No penalty for doing that.

Rizen
Oct 21, 2006, 05:06 PM
You can check out my Ranger topic in my sig to see more about weapon and see what others have to say and ask about Ranger, feel free to start a convo in there. You never know what type of new info will pop up!

http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=120501&forum=20&58

Nestahima
Oct 21, 2006, 05:09 PM
Yeah, I've read through your main post but I haven't taken much time to read the others. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

Rizen
Oct 21, 2006, 05:10 PM
Hehe, there some interesting info here and there in there. Im hoping to make it more active so people change their mind about Ranger as a class.

Nestahima
Oct 21, 2006, 05:11 PM
Well considering it is probably the hardest class to play now, it'll be tough. Rangers are much more of a support class now.

Rizen
Oct 21, 2006, 05:16 PM
Yep, and will be very useful in parties.

Diablohead
Oct 21, 2006, 05:17 PM
Im going full ranger myself, well guntecher but you know what I mean.

You can go refill in town but bewarned it will still effect your clear time so don't idle much when you do so.

Feel free to team with me if you want help http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Itsuki
Oct 21, 2006, 05:24 PM
You probably don't want to use solely ranged when soloing. Not because of PP issues, but because its just not the most effective method. When I solo, I tend to use Rifles, dual handguns, and a dagger/mech if I'm going just for speed.

Rifles for most enemies. Dualies when I need maneuvarability, and then the dagger on anything with multiple hitboxes. I hear spear works great for things with multiple hit boxes aswell, but I always like to always have a ranged weapon out, and spear is two handed.

Also, don't be afraid to hit the PP cube after the 2nd room or so. I actually really liked soloing Maotoob canyon, which has a PP cube at the beginning of the last block, which is only 2 rooms long, but half of the monsters in the level spawn there.

Nestahima
Oct 21, 2006, 05:41 PM
I'm not really afraid to refill. It was more of a damage issue. My Ranger's damage wasn't nearly comparable to that of a Hunters or nearly that of a Forces, especially for the PP my attacks did consume. That was my problem really.

CypherErebus
Oct 21, 2006, 05:55 PM
Instead of refilling I just had lots of guns. Two pairs of twin handguns and many shotguns and rifles. None of 'em ever got empty.

Itsuki
Oct 21, 2006, 06:39 PM
Damage should still not be too much of an issue, as long as your bullets are leveled. Ranger damage isn't THAT bad. And since you don't need to move around or adjust too much, you can do respectable damage solo. And as I said, for big guys that have multiple hit boxes, just switch to a melee weapon. Melee isn't bad for big groups of enemies either. Melee is still important to a PSU Ranger. You have to remember that this isn't PSO.