PDA

View Full Version : Playing with a keyboard.

Rider
Oct 21, 2006, 11:05 PM
Has anyone who ordered their version of psu from japan played with a keyboard? I'm just wondering because I remember playing psobb with a keyboard and it was uncomfortable and some of the controls could've been done better in my opinion.

I figured I would end up getting a controller sometime in the future when I have money for it. At the start I'll most likely need to play with a keyboard since I'm pretty low on money at the moment. I have a ps2 controller already, would bestbuy or compusa sell something that would let me plug my ps2 controller into my computer? I also heard the xbox 360 controllers can plug into the computer on their own. Is that true?

BrandonBa2
Oct 21, 2006, 11:07 PM
The controls are posted somewhere on the boards and honestly they dont look that bad. WASD to move and up-down-left-right for attack and menus it seems.

BlueInfinity
Oct 21, 2006, 11:09 PM
Why don't you just get a usb keyboard for the PS2 that way play and type.

Ecstasy
Oct 21, 2006, 11:09 PM
Yeah ive seen pictures of the keymap on here somewhere a few days ago. It actually looks pretty nice, and i guess if you don't like where the keys are you can change them easily. Ive play a few MMO's so im pretty used to the keyboard, infact i'd say i prefer it now over a controller.

Mikesnav
Oct 21, 2006, 11:11 PM
Wired 360 controllers work on PCs.

Radioshack sells an adaptor that lets you use your PS2 controller on your PC. I've been using that for about a year, and I used it for PSO:BB. Worked great. Was $10 when I bought it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mikesnav on 2006-10-21 21:11 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mikesnav on 2006-10-21 21:14 ]</font>

BrandonBa2
Oct 21, 2006, 11:12 PM
10 bucks sure does beat shelling out for a 360 controler might pick 2 of those up http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

vitius137
Oct 21, 2006, 11:13 PM
I have found that keyboard controls are definately playable and I didn't find much of a problem with them (exept I had to chage the secondary weapon attack button) I would definately reccomend a controller if you're going to be doing more intense fighting. It just works.

NeuroNomad
Oct 21, 2006, 11:14 PM
Here is a thread I created a couple days ago that has a couple pages worth of keyboard/controller comments.
http://pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=121564&forum=20

Rider
Oct 21, 2006, 11:16 PM
I didn't expect answers this fast. Thanks for the quick replies everyone.

I am glad that the keyboard controls look decent to other people. I haven't seen them myself but I'm going to say if they look good to people who play games with keyboard controls, then they will be just fine for myself. I normally play all my games on the computer so I'm use to the keyboard for controlling things. I just don't enjoy the game as much if I can't get use to or comfortable with controlling I can't change. I just remember that I disliked psobb's controlling with the keyboard so it had me a little worried with psu.

NeuroNomad
Oct 21, 2006, 11:23 PM
What I did Rider was go out and get an Xbox Controller for my PC (uh technically an Apple running Bootcamp, but I digress) and decided not to open the controller until after I have tried the keyboard layout. It is kind of hard to justify $40 for a controller if the game ends up being fine via Keyboard for you. If you are like me I haven't used a controller on a PC game in a decade or so since scroller games where so popular like Commander Keen (darn I am dating myself aren't I?).

rythmic
Oct 21, 2006, 11:30 PM
What I am hoping for is that I can change the controls a bit like I could in psobb.

So far, It sounds a lot like the defualt keyboard setup in psobb, So I am hoping it lets me move with the mouse. Where you just click in a direction and your character moves that way.

I got real use to it and it worked great for me, had my attacks maped to "wasd" buttons. Hopefully they allow that sort of customization.

Rider
Oct 21, 2006, 11:51 PM
I'm just going to try it with the keyboard first. If it feels fine then I'll just save my money when I get some instead of buy a controller. I don't really have much of a choice right now anyway since I'll barely have enough for the game when it comes out.

As for $40 for a controller, I was hoping to avoid that if possible. I already have a controller and if I can get something that will let me plug into the computer for cheaper then I might aswell get that. Just as long as it is decent quality anyway. I don't want to buy something cheap just to have it fail on me during the game. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rider on 2006-10-21 21:52 ]</font>

BlueDagger
Oct 21, 2006, 11:56 PM
On 2006-10-21 21:09, BlueInfinity wrote:

Screenshots! You can't take screenshots on a PS2!!

February
Oct 21, 2006, 11:57 PM
On 2006-10-21 21:56, BlueDagger wrote:

On 2006-10-21 21:09, BlueInfinity wrote:

Screenshots! You can't take screenshots on a PS2!!

That's why I have a friend designated as my cameraman already http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Aaomi
Oct 22, 2006, 12:00 AM
As a newbie computer user, does one need a certian driver when using a ps2 controller converter on a computer? If so does anyone have a link that I could use?

Mikesnav
Oct 22, 2006, 12:08 AM
The one from radioshack? It's available on radioshack's site.

Now that I think about it, it should work for just about any PS2->USB converter, me thinks.

AnamanaAU
Oct 22, 2006, 01:39 AM
There's a few forum goers who will make a big deal about using keyboard only, because they are too lazy to rest a controller on their lap and they act as if you have to type when 30 enemies are swarming you. I think it's pretty lame how these people act over keyboards.