PDA

View Full Version : Is there any confirmation yet of being able to download this

sscaff1
Oct 22, 2006, 12:30 AM
I really want to be able to get this game for the PS2 as my main source of play (now that I've decided for sure I'm not getting it for my 360 because of various reasons) but I also want to have the option of playing the game on my PC. Is there any sign that Sega will put the game up on thier website like they have done for the japanese? If not do you think this will happen?

BlueInfinity
Oct 22, 2006, 12:32 AM
Psu will never be a download in any way for form, at least not from Sega

Silver_Wyrm
Oct 22, 2006, 12:37 AM
Psu will never be a download in any way for form, at least not from Sega

ummmm....

but I also want to have the option of playing the game on my PC. Is there any sign that Sega will put the game up on thier website like they have done for the japanese? If not do you think this will happen?

sorry point beaten already?

My view on this? dont see whats wrong with it, having two systems but one account simply means you could play it on either system but only with that purchased account, so if you bought a ps2 versiona nd dl'd/installed psu, I dont see what the problem would be. No one who didnt purchase the game would be playing it, nor would it be fabricating more accounts, in fact nothign would really change except the customer could more freely play the game elsewhere.

Bleemo
Oct 22, 2006, 12:37 AM
Virtual distribution of video games, especially online ones has become quite popular as of late. Sega may at some point allow you to purchase a downloadable version the actual PC version of the game. Whether or not you have the game doesn't matter anyway, what's important is the registration codes that come along with the retail copy.

Even if they allowed you to download the game, you would need the registration codes that come with the PC version of the game in order to play it. I highly doubt you will be able to use the PS2 registration codes for the PC version.

sscaff1
Oct 22, 2006, 12:39 AM
I thought the japanese could download the game (to play online ONLY of course - a seperate client from the retail client) off of sega's website and use thier key they got with the PS2...Am I wrong?

I downloaded the PC version of FFXI when I use to play that game and used my account information from my PS2 (not totally legal but hell I was still playing Square my monthly fee). Is this kind of stuff what I've been hearing about then?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: sscaff1 on 2006-10-21 22:41 ]</font>

Ether
Oct 22, 2006, 12:41 AM
It has already been confimed multiple times that the PC and PS2 versions use the same accounts and are interchangable. If you buy the PS2 version, register an account, and were to aquire the PC version in some way, you could play with it

As for Sega putting up the PC Client online, I kind of doubt that. They only did it because DVD Players (which are required for the PC version) arent as common in Japan

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ether on 2006-10-21 22:42 ]</font>

Silver_Wyrm
Oct 22, 2006, 12:41 AM
On 2006-10-21 22:39, sscaff1 wrote:
I downloaded the PC version of FFXI when I use to play that game and used my account information from my PS2 (not totally legal but hell I was still playing Square my monthly fee). Is this kind of stuff what I've been hearing about then?

I bought the ps2 version of XI and used my friends pc copy to dl it to my pc so I could play on ps2 when my comp was in use, simply put, it doesnt change a thing for the seller, unless said person would buy two copies and play two accounts, simply to be on different systems, which is highly unlikely.

Silver_Wyrm
Oct 22, 2006, 12:42 AM
On 2006-10-21 22:41, Ether wrote:
It has already been confimed multiple times that the PC and PS2 versions use the same accounts and are interchangable. If you buy the PS2 version, register and account, and were to aquire the PC version in some way, you could play with it

thanks for a solid answer http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Bleemo
Oct 22, 2006, 12:43 AM
It has already been confimed multiple times that the PC and PS2 versions use the same accounts and are interchangable. If you buy the PS2 version, register and account, and were to aquire the PC version in some way, you could play with it

Registration codes and account information are two seperate things. You will need the registration codes, otherwise called CD key, in order to activate your copy of the game.

sscaff1
Oct 22, 2006, 12:45 AM
On 2006-10-21 22:43, Bleemo wrote:

Registration codes and account information are two seperate things. You will need the registration codes, otherwise called CD key, in order to activate your copy of the game.

FFXI never had CD-Keys. Then again this is Sega and not Square. Well if you don't need a CD-key my friend is getting this game for the PC so I guess I would have what I want right there.

Silver_Wyrm
Oct 22, 2006, 12:46 AM
On 2006-10-21 22:45, sscaff1 wrote:

FFXI never had CD-Keys. Then again this is Sega and not Square. Well if you don't need a CD-key my friend is getting this game for the PC so I guess I would have what I want right there.

er my XI had like 4 keys I had to put in, literally

Bleemo
Oct 22, 2006, 12:47 AM
Yeah, FFXI had CD keys.

sscaff1
Oct 22, 2006, 12:48 AM
On 2006-10-21 22:46, Silver_Wyrm wrote:

On 2006-10-21 22:45, sscaff1 wrote:

er my XI had like 4 keys I had to put in, literally

I installed the game and was never asked for a CD-Key once. I was able to go strait to Play-Online put in my account information from my PS2 and BAM FFXI. I do remember however putting in multiple keys for the PS2 so if the PS2 and PC are completely 100% interchangable like FFXI was then there should be no problem getting the game on the PS2 and PC right?

Ether
Oct 22, 2006, 12:49 AM
http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=119576&forum=20 Found the original thread regarding the Japanese game download

Ryudo
Oct 22, 2006, 12:52 AM
I already asked Clumsy about this and he said he was pretty sure there wouldnt be a downloadable version for the US =(

Bleemo
On 2006-10-21 22:48, sscaff1 wrote:
I installed the game and was never asked for a CD-Key once. I was able to go strait to Play-Online put in my account information from my PS2 and BAM FFXI. I do remember however putting in multiple keys for the PS2 so if the PS2 and PC are completely 100% interchangable like FFXI was then there should be no problem getting the game on the PS2 and PC right?

So, basically you purchased the game for PS2, entered all of the required CD keys(SE has a required CD key for PlayOnline, the game, and each expansion.), and was able to use these very same CD keys for a PC copy of the game. Is this correct?

This is what is up in the air for PSU. Sega isn't SquareEnix, they may not have an account system that allows you to use one CD key for all versions of the game.

Garnet_Moon
On 2006-10-21 22:49, Ether wrote:
http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=119576&forum=20 Found the original thread regarding the Japanese game download

Oh god I feel sorry for those on dial-up and cheap DSL lines. You have to download all 5 gigabytes? Ouch.

Ether
Oct 22, 2006, 12:55 AM
For PSU you never enter of the serial key in the game itself, you have to go to playsega make an account, then register that account for PSU and enter your serial number

sscaff1
Oct 22, 2006, 12:58 AM
On 2006-10-21 22:52, Bleemo wrote:

On 2006-10-21 22:48, sscaff1 wrote:

So, basically you purchased the game for PS2, entered all of the required CD keys(SE has a required CD key for PlayOnline, the game, and each expansion.), and was able to use these very same CD keys for a PC copy of the game. Is this correct?

This is what is up in the air for PSU. Sega isn't SquareEnix, they may not have an account system that allows you to use one CD key for all versions of the game.

Basically, yea. I downloaded the torrent installed the game (never asked for a CD key during the install) then when I actually logged onto the game all I had to do was put in my screen name password and whatever the other stupid thing square gives you is and then I was able to patch the game and eventually play it on my PC. I hope sega does something like this I mean I'm still going to pay the monthly fee it's not like they are going to be losing money I just want the freedom of if I go home some weekend to be able to bring my laptop with me and play for an hour or 2 at home without bring my PS2. Or, better yet if I want to go play with a friend at his house to be able to bring my laptop and not my PS2. These were the type of things that FFXI offered by the fact that it was 100% interchangable with the PS2. I would love the same thing to happen with PSU.

And two be honest I don't want to buy 2 copies of the game have two accounts and never use one of the accounts it would be pointless.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: sscaff1 on 2006-10-21 22:59 ]</font>

Banert
Oct 22, 2006, 01:07 AM
Why wouldn't they put it up for download? Isin't that just going to loose Sega money from customers who don't own DVD drives? Seems kinda stupid on their part, but then again i'm no expert on the topic

Garnet_Moon
Oct 22, 2006, 01:11 AM
On 2006-10-21 23:07, Banert wrote:
Why wouldn't they put it up for download? Isin't that just going to loose Sega money from customers who don't own DVD drives? Seems kinda stupid on their part, but then again i'm no expert on the topic

What's $50 when people can get addicted and easily dish out $4,000 or more in monthly fees before they decide to move on?

Banert
Oct 22, 2006, 01:13 AM
True, it's not much, but why ignore the chance of additional revenue? I see no downside to Sega if they were to host the client, any costs of hosting it would easily be negated by those paying the fees from the downloaded version.

Plus it'll save me 20 bucks if they do http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

sscaff1
Oct 22, 2006, 01:13 AM
You'd still pay the $50 for the registration fees. So it would be literally no money lost for Sega and all money gained.

Garnet_Moon
Oct 22, 2006, 01:15 AM
On 2006-10-21 23:13, sscaff1 wrote:
You'd still pay the $50 for the registration fees. So it would be literally no money lost for Sega and all money gained.

So the downloaded version a modified version of the retail in that it sends up a flag when you register the account?

sscaff1
Oct 22, 2006, 01:19 AM
On 2006-10-21 23:15, Garnet_Moon wrote:

On 2006-10-21 23:13, sscaff1 wrote:

So the downloaded version a modified version of the retail in that it sends up a flag when you register the account?

I'm just talking about if you buy the game for the PS2 allow the public to download it (even at a small fee I'd do it) that way they can play the online version of the game and ONLY the online version of the game on the PS2 or PC. The $50 dollars would still go to sega because you bought the game for the PS2 (basically your registration fee).

BrandonBa2
Oct 22, 2006, 01:21 AM
This is why I am buying a copy of the Pc version and the PS2 version : No confusinon and I can just play on 2 PCs or a PC/PS2 depending on moods. Of course it is expensive v.v

Eviltaru
Oct 22, 2006, 01:22 AM

I guess they meant by using the PS2 CD Key to activate the PC version (which it work pretty fine with FFXI) then connect online freely either with PS2 & PC of course not both on the same time!

Example: My PC version CD KEY are fully registered, but my PS2 CD Key is still a virgin haven't used it or registered it, still clean with 30 days free of play if I wanted to register it as well!

Until the official release well know by then if it really works!

sscaff1
Oct 22, 2006, 01:22 AM
On 2006-10-21 23:21, BrandonBa2 wrote:
This is why I am buying a copy of the Pc version and the PS2 version : No confusinon and I can just play on 2 PCs or a PC/PS2 depending on moods. Of course it is expensive v.v

I don't want two accounts though. I want one account playable on either system.

Banert
Oct 22, 2006, 01:23 AM
Wait, now i'm confused, if I buy PSU for PC (I have it preordered), but I don't have a dvd drive, why can't I just download it? I've paid just as much as anyone else, why can't I download the full game and play online and offline (giving Sega my monthly fees) and then enter the key I paid 50 bucks for?

Sev
Oct 22, 2006, 01:25 AM
The only problem that I see with this is the fact that I'm buying the PC version. Now... I could get the PS2 version, but I'd rather play on the PC... But why should someone who only bought the PS2 version be allowed to download the other version for free? If it really were to happen here, then I'd feel kinda stupid for buying the PC version... Because I'll most likely be getting the PS2 version later as well.

Eviltaru
Oct 22, 2006, 01:27 AM
On 2006-10-21 23:23, Banert wrote:
Wait, now i'm confused, if I buy PSU for PC (I have it preordered), but I don't have a dvd drive, why can't I just download it? I've paid just as much as anyone else, why can't I download the full game and play online and offline (giving Sega my monthly fees) and then enter the key I paid 50 bucks for?

That's the question were asking... Sega US doesn't seem to let or want NA's user to download the game for illegal issue I presume? They'll probably tell you go out and buy an $20-30 dvd rom drive. >.<

Itsuki
Oct 22, 2006, 03:02 AM
On 2006-10-21 22:52, Garnet_Moon wrote:

On 2006-10-21 22:49, Ether wrote:

Oh god I feel sorry for those on dial-up and cheap DSL lines. You have to download all 5 gigabytes? Ouch.

This was done in japan though. Cheap DSL in japan is still 50mbps, which blows away anything state side. Hell, I have a friend over there that pays less money for a 100mbps fiber line than I do for a 3mbps dsl connection in the US.

physic
Oct 22, 2006, 03:35 AM
basically they said you can play it from any instance using your own account, pc to ps2 and vice versa, i dont think they care too much if you own a ps2 copy and you play it on pc, however the question is do they intend to spend the bandwidth to put it up? My guess is yes they probably will, and will probably eventually even allow you to buy it online and get it with a download, however they prolly wont do this at the start, so you can wait, or you can get whichever version you intend to play it on mostly. Im japan the download came a while after release, at best you can expect the same here.