PDA

View Full Version : PSU Longevity

Brittaintrail
Oct 22, 2006, 12:59 PM
So I've heard some stuff and I am seriously concerened about the longevity. Remember in PSO how you played for 2 years and still didn't get that char to level 200.
Well I've got my beta char to 30 which i hear is half the cap. Sure it gets harder to level later on but i've seen screens of people at the max level allready i the jp version. One thing I havent heard anything on rare weapons in pso there were hundreds so it seems like I would have heard of them by now.

Shadow82
Oct 22, 2006, 01:02 PM
Well, if it is as short as you make it seem then Im sure they'll raise the level cap, as for the rares, not sure what to say about that.

Scirrocco
Oct 22, 2006, 01:02 PM
Remember, PSO's original level cap was 100 (i think). They just raised it later. After a second version and an expansion. PSU was out a couple weeks and they already raised the level cap by ten. Theres a bunch of stuff still on the disk that we can't use yet because Segas being stingy and dragging it out.

AppieDPC
Oct 22, 2006, 01:07 PM
I question how long this game would be "fun" too, but not because of the lvl cap (been there, done that lv200 crap on the DC) or the Rares. I hated that drop system. I think it comes down to what made PSO fun (for me anyway): having fun with the people you play. That's the only thing imo that made run 367 through the Ruins different from the 366 runs before it. That's what kept me playing and kept me buying the newest version every time.

ABDUR101
Oct 22, 2006, 01:15 PM
Like any other MMO, the longevity of it is based on the community, the people you play with, and your involvement. It's meant to be abit of a social experience, with some mindless hack and slash and running around.

The rares are different in this version, I doubt you just 'find' rares anymore, you find items, blueprints and you make your own rare weapons. Thus why we can have shops in our rooms. The level cap, yeah, not that big of a deal. Granted, I think the inclusion of level caps as it stands is very stupid, I don't want to be capped at 50 or 60, because if I game enough I want to hit atleast 100 as soon as I can, and from there move on to whatever bigger expansions; but again, if thats what Sega wants to do, fine, I'm game, even if it is an inconvenience. Their game, their release schedule, I'm the customer.

Lnin0
Oct 22, 2006, 02:18 PM
I am more concerned about content longevity more than community. I know the community will be there but even with best of friends doing the Ruins mission even 300 times gets tiresome. Compare PSU to other MMOs and the different settings, mob skins, appearance modifiers (both cloths and weapons) and available quests seem underwelming.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Lnin0 on 2006-10-22 12:22 ]</font>

lostinseganet
Oct 22, 2006, 02:27 PM
Well the xbox 360 is suppose to get the expansion so taht will lenghten the gameplay.

Tystys
Oct 22, 2006, 02:30 PM
On 2006-10-22 12:18, Lnin0 wrote:
I am more concerned about content longevity more than community. I know the community will be there but even with best of friends doing the Ruins mission even 300 times gets tiresome. Compare PSU to other MMOs and the different settings, mob skins, appearance modifiers (both cloths and weapons) and available quests seem underwelming.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Lnin0 on 2006-10-22 12:22 ]</font>

Well, that's why they're not going to be releasing everything on that is on the disc all at once.

By doing this, they make you want to keep playing to see what they have in store, XD

ABDUR101
Oct 22, 2006, 02:31 PM
On 2006-10-22 12:18, Lnin0 wrote:

If you haven't played PSO Vers 2, you don't know what underwhelming is, considering PSU is the same price as Vers 2 every month.

Honestly, if you're going for content longevity, you might as well look elsewhere. I don't think we're going to be getting content updates to the extent that WoW pushes out, so if thats what you're thinking, don't even bother with the game.

pkazama
Oct 22, 2006, 02:33 PM
I mostly like the game because of the community and people you meet, seeing rares drop(red boxesfor example), finding rare monsters, taking snapshots all over the place with people, creating/participating in events made by players, lounging around chatting, leveling up to be able to use the next equipment and so on. I think this game is gonna be a lot more fun since i pretty much took a long break from pso on the GC. I was dissapointed somehow all my characters data was erased, but oh well. Starting all a new on PSU feels good and a lot of things to look foward to.

Not sure about anyone else, but while playing Sonic Adventure 2 on Dreamcast I saw a rare PSO item box in on of the space levels (and anotheri think)with Knuckles and thought there may have been a way to save the item and transfer it over to PSO. It bugged me so much thinking it may have been a secret item.

Tystys
Oct 22, 2006, 02:34 PM
On 2006-10-22 12:33, pkazama wrote:

Not sure about anyone else, but while playing Sonic Adventure 2 on Dreamcast I saw a rare PSO item box in on of the space levels (and anotheri think)with Knuckles and thought there may have been a way to save the item and transfer it over to PSO. It bugged me so much thinking it may have been a secret item.

That would've been awesome if it was, XD

Ryogen
Oct 22, 2006, 02:37 PM
Don't focus the longevity of a game you haven't played yet. Don't look at screens or vides of other players and assume longevity. Just wait till you get the game.

Lnin0
Oct 22, 2006, 02:49 PM
I played PSO on the Xbox and don't remember anything being released other than some holiday decorations. WoW, other than the new expansion, hasn't flooded the game with new content but they have kept it steady enough.

However, out of the box WoW is massive in size and scope compared to what I have seen of PSU out of the box. I was seeing new areas in WoW more than three months after I started the game. New clothing, different looking weapons, new mobs etc.

That is where I would like to know PSU will stack up. Keeping the game varied enough that I don't have to keep fighting the same mob on the same backdrop for months on end. Friends or not that gets boring.

Having a bunch of armor, units and grinds on paper isn't half as interesting to me as seeing everyone with different looking stuff. Not just the same green blade with a different grind number or tech behind it on paper. I just get tired of walking around looking at the same stuff.

Is there any information on the Japan version? Like how many levels there are from the start/various monsters or how much new content they have released. I have a lot of fun with the game but I just want something more to base a $70+ expenditure on.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Lnin0 on 2006-10-22 12:52 ]</font>

AlphaMinotaux
Oct 22, 2006, 03:14 PM
you discover pretty much everything about PSU in about i say in about 150 hours of gameplay, or about 2 weeks if you like play around 10 hours a day.
•Just a wild guess don't quote me on it cause extra mode is way different than online, plus online you arent solo all the time so your not grinding for the most part•

Cause_I_Own_U
Oct 22, 2006, 03:27 PM
I could see your point if this game was free, but its freaking 10$ a month, itll have more longevity than pso thats for sure

Callous
Oct 22, 2006, 03:32 PM
On 2006-10-22 12:49, Lnin0 wrote:
That is where I would like to know PSU will stack up. Keeping the game varied enough that I don't have to keep fighting the same mob on the same backdrop for months on end. Friends or not that gets boring.

Sounds like you should stick to WoW.

sscaff1
Oct 22, 2006, 04:08 PM
On 2006-10-22 12:27, lostinseganet wrote:
Well the xbox 360 is suppose to get the expansion so taht will lenghten the gameplay.

?? Where is this information coming from? There won't be an expansion for the PC and PS2? If not I see a lot of Americans and Japanese people getting very pissed off.