PDA

View Full Version : Ranger: Saber vs. Dagger?

FenixStryk
Oct 22, 2006, 03:44 PM
ADD Version: Which is better against frozen enemies, a Saber or a Dagger?
_____ _ _

As most of you may know, Mechguns apply SEs (and waste PP) like you wouldn't believe. So, I plan on using it with a melee weapon once I freeze an enemy with the MG's Freeze SE (or when bad comes to worse). However, I don't know which weapon I should use for my right-hand: a dagger or a saber.

IIRC, you get a free Saber PA if you complete the tutorial, so that'll help. Sabers also do more damage per hit. I really don't know much about single-hand Daggers, though, but I do hear Twin Daggers are godly... maybe single Daggers are similar?

So, help out your favorite new Ranger, and give me some tips. Should I whip out my saber once I run out of Mechgun ammo, or go with the more stylish dagger?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: FenixStryk on 2006-10-22 13:56 ]</font>

DizzyDi
Oct 22, 2006, 03:46 PM
Daggers are faster.
Get in there, do a few quick hits, and jump out before you get beat down.

-Break-
My Finds (http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=120496&forum=20)
Personally I like the Dagger better though.

Arcturus
Preference.

Numnuttz
Oct 22, 2006, 03:47 PM
yup the dagger seems like its the way to go.

FenixStryk
Oct 22, 2006, 03:48 PM
Ah, yes, I remember that thread. Very helpful for Hunters, I assume. Also, I don't think I mentioned this in the topic post, but when I use my Mechgun, I freeze the enemy then whack'em with my Saber (or Dagger?), then repeat... it makes it safer and gives it more OOMPH.

Ether
Oct 22, 2006, 03:49 PM
Daggers are offensive and Sabers are defensive

Saber PA hits twice and knocks enemies up into the air, while the Dagger PA hits 4 times and knocks down enemies with the last hit. Saber is good for managing lots of enemies at once, while dagger can do a ton of damage to large enemies since you can hit multiple parts at once

-Break-
Oct 22, 2006, 03:50 PM
Well, if the enemies are frozen then the saber is the better choice. Sabers usually have higher ATP and have less delay which means you can get in and out of melee easier.

Midicronica
Oct 22, 2006, 03:50 PM
The daggers seem to be getting the majority, but I prefer strength over speed. But if it's a ranger I suppose would need something that would allow you to attack quickly and move out of there.

Itsuki
Oct 22, 2006, 03:52 PM
I find saber to be alot more useful in parties. Its PA is more of a utility thing since it launches and takes monsters out of combat, which is what your job as a ranger mostly is.

Dagger is better for soloing or when you need damage though. Personally I carry both.

Shiro_Ryuu
Oct 22, 2006, 03:52 PM
try both of them out, I like the daggers though, you get like 4 hits per combo.

Rizen
Oct 22, 2006, 04:06 PM
This was posted by Itsuki in my ranger thread.

Dagger vs Saber: Saber is more party oriented since it more reliably launches. Its good mob control. Dagger on the other hand is more damage, but doesn't reliably stun anything. Its best used on big monsters and mini-bosses that don't launch or don't launch reliably. Also, when soloing, dagger is probably the weapon of choice.

Also, forgot to add that fact that I use daggers myself. I find the PA much more helpful than the sword's.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rizen on 2006-10-22 14:36 ]</font>

Flunky
Oct 22, 2006, 04:35 PM
What I've seen here seems on target.

The saber PA (10 and below version) is better if you're not getting in the thick of it, as it's relatively fast and reliably disrupts even the biggest of opponents (cow-tipping the behemoths in the relics comes to mind). The regular attack, however, is rather 'meh', but it does have a tad less lag time at the end of a combo than daggers. Sabers have higher raw power than daggers.

Daggers are, in my opinion, much better for soloing. Faster, more hits, and the PA is very maneuverable allowing one to avoid enemy attacks in the middle of the PA. It's pretty spiffy. While the last part of the basic (10 and under) PA will knock smaller enemies over, it won't be phasing the big fellers.

Maybe it's just me, but it seemed like the PP for daggers refilled more quickly than those for sabers (though not by much).

In the end, I'd suggest daggers but it really comes down to fighting style and how much you want to risk getting clobbered (daggers are a lil' more dangerous in that regard).

CypherErebus
Oct 22, 2006, 04:38 PM
Daggers are just as strong as sabers in my opinion and tons faster especially with its photon art. A nice tip would be freezing the enemy with your rifle then using your dagger to finish him off.

ethanhawkeye
Oct 22, 2006, 04:52 PM
i like dagger.

AlphaMinotaux
Oct 22, 2006, 05:39 PM
Use whatever weapon is stronger. i.e. use the best rare you can find whether it be dagger or saber. It does not take that long to skill up PA's but if you need the PA's for other things choose one. I would say Sword myself cause its PA knocks the enemy into the air or knocks them to the floor with the first attack.

-Break-
Oct 22, 2006, 05:40 PM
On 2006-10-22 15:39, AlphaMinotaux wrote:
Use whatever weapon is stronger. i.e. use the best rare you can find whether it be dagger or saber. It does not take that long to skill up PA's but if you need the PA's for other things choose one. I would say Sword myself cause its PA knocks the enemy into the air or knocks them to the floor with the first attack.

I'm afraid you mean Saber, not Sword.

EC_Subbie
Oct 22, 2006, 05:48 PM
I'll just stick to guns and let the hunters take care of breaking the frozen mobs, which I have to then re-freeze.

ProfessorZ
Oct 22, 2006, 06:04 PM
Saber for solo, dagger for party

Itsuki
Oct 23, 2006, 01:19 AM
Professor Z is backwards. XD

AlphaMinotaux
Oct 23, 2006, 02:39 AM
i always mistake sword for saber and when people say twin saber or double saber XD

Clyde
Oct 23, 2006, 02:43 AM
I think the dagger is a good choice because its fast and has a decent PA that hits the enemies around you, could be good for slow down (If only for a moment) the enemy long enough to pick out which you want to focus on.

EvoKiske
Oct 23, 2006, 04:56 AM
im digging the sabers

UltraDeeDer
Oct 23, 2006, 06:34 AM
Ofcourse you are all missing the joys of CLAW! (Which of course was not avialable in the beat due to class restrictions and as a ranger is pointless and i'll just go hide in my corner now)

RichBoy
Oct 23, 2006, 09:19 AM
Dude Degger only it's look nice but seber it stronger the dagger