PDA

View Full Version : Platform indecision? Why you should go console...

Iano
Oct 22, 2006, 03:56 PM
As a PSO vetran and multi-platform owner I thought I'd give a few reasons for those undecided on why you should go with the 360 version of PSU based on my experiences with PSO/PSO:BB.

Have a 360, PS2, and PC? Trying to make the tough decision? First off I'm going to say that the PC version is not the way to go... Console games are balanced, the hardware is consistent between players and the playing field is even. The major downfall of PC games is the diversity in hardware despite attemps at consistency through frameworks such as DirectX. With a cutting edge game, the reality is a percentage of users will run into problems either running at an acceptable framerate or getting the game to run at all. Look at any major PC release and scan through the number of complaints in the troubleshooting forum. I'm not saying the PC version of PSU will be riddled with bugs, but the reality is when producing a piece of software you cannnot test with every conceivable configuration your userbase will have.

Secondly is comfort level. PSO was designed to be a console game. When I first played PSO:BB on the PC I found it unplayable with a mouse and keyboard. I restored to using a PS2->PC USB adapter and playing with a PS2 dual shock controller. For some this may be an acceptable comfort level, but as a PC gamer I found it extremely awkward to sit at a desk with a console controller. Back to XBOX PSO!

I've seen a lot of people bringing up the point that the PS2 is at end of life. There have also been "rumors" of lag/connection issues with the PS2 version over the PC. The PS2 may be at end of life but the PSU servers will not be making it a moot point. As far as the connection issues are concerned, while I can't speak from hands on experience with the PS2 version I can say that the console is as capable as the PC/360 in establishing a solid connection via its LAN interface. There shouldn't be a measurable difference in online performance between the platforms.

I don't think I have to go over PS2 vs 360 PSU. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

In conclusion If you are undecided on console vs PC gaming realize this isn't your typical menu driven or icon driven MMORPG. This is an action RPG where camera angles, fluid movement, and manual attacks are essential to success. There's nothing like sitting in front of your big hdtv on a comfy couch with a wireless controller and the new 360 wireless headset.

* Self-edited a few ending comments for the sake of a constructive argument... *

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Iano on 2006-10-22 14:47 ]</font>

Mikesnav
Oct 22, 2006, 04:01 PM
No flaming, but I am going to flat out disagree with you.

I have a PS2 and PC. Didn't have any problems with BB, don't have problems with 99% of PC games. Many PC gaming issues are user error related.

For me, the choice is obvious: PC. Option for voice chat, option for keyboard (which I prefer), option of 360/PS2 / whatever type of control I want, and much better visuals.

Alexandrious1
Oct 22, 2006, 04:02 PM
Sighs christ.

When are these people gonna understand you can make PC playing just as comfortable as Console playing -_-. All it takes is a little imagination and a little money, thats all.

-Break-
Oct 22, 2006, 04:06 PM
Ummm...No. PC for me.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: -Break- on 2006-10-22 14:06 ]</font>

Iduno
Oct 22, 2006, 04:06 PM
you forgot to mention that family members are less likely to hog your console in your room then they are the computer leading to many hours of psu goodness with the console versions lol

Zelendria_Ru
Oct 22, 2006, 04:07 PM
Wireless Logitech Controller, DLP Projector, USB Headset FTW.

JaiBlue
Oct 22, 2006, 04:07 PM
user earned a warning for this post.
congatulations.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rena-ko on 2006-10-22 15:50 ]</font>

Nayte
Oct 22, 2006, 04:11 PM
I assume he is talking about Ventrillo/Teamspeak

Garnet_Moon
Oct 22, 2006, 04:12 PM
I'm going PS2/PC, and i'm getting an xbox 360 controller. My computer can be hooked up to my 56" TV if I want, and I have an army of cold plastic bean bags to use, so I think i'm good. I've got Ventrillo and TS ready if I want them... not that i'll choose to.

Mmm.... I love the feel of cold plastic on my body in the morning... Gogo bean bags!

-Break-
Oct 22, 2006, 04:13 PM
On 2006-10-22 14:06, Sizzors wrote:

On 2006-10-22 14:05, Alexandrious1 wrote:
And yes their are wireless headsets for the PC as well. lawl...

There is no voice chat for PC...

That's funny, I recall Blicen set up a free Ventrilo server for us PSOW members.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: -Break- on 2006-10-22 14:13 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rena-ko on 2006-10-22 15:51 ]</font>

BioWarrior
Oct 22, 2006, 04:13 PM
This topic isn't flame bait in the least... hes merely trying to help people make a choice who can't decide on what platform is right for them. I for one think its a good topic since PSU is only a few days away.

Foxfire15
Oct 22, 2006, 04:14 PM
On 2006-10-22 14:06, Sizzors wrote:
There is no voice chat for PC...

Aye, not directly, but there are these two lovely programs called Ventrilo and Teamspeak. PC for me. might buy a controller or something though if I can't set up the keyboard the way I like it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rena-ko on 2006-10-22 15:52 ]</font>

-Break-
Oct 22, 2006, 04:15 PM
On 2006-10-22 14:14, Foxfire15 wrote:
Aye, not directly, but there are these two lovely programs called Ventrilo and Teamspeak. PC for me. might buy a controller or something though if I can't set up the keyboard the way I like it.

Take my word on it, buy a controller.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rena-ko on 2006-10-22 15:53 ]</font>

February
Oct 22, 2006, 04:38 PM
Here's an idea: Why don't we just not care what system other people are buying it for? That way these stupid little console wars don't happen 10 times a day.

And welcome ot the forum, Iano. I got the possible troll bait red alert when I read your post, but I'm not one to judge or question your intentions, so if it was meant with no malice, then people around here will end up warming up to you before long.

Iano
Oct 22, 2006, 04:38 PM
For the sake of being constructive now, can any PC gamers relate the specifics if what they've done to make a console-style game work comfortably for them on a PC?

Parn
Oct 22, 2006, 04:40 PM
user received a warning for this post.
thank you for your cooperation.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rena-ko on 2006-10-22 15:42 ]</font>

Kimil
Oct 22, 2006, 04:42 PM
Don't lock

PS2 here, I just like Consule better. More transportable, you can lay back on the couch while playing, you wont get a slanted back from sitting in a chair, Controllers... I just the fell better then Keyboars. And most of all:

Less money, Im not going to spend huge amounts of money on PC components, that could go towards A car, or a night out with the guys.

Iano
Oct 22, 2006, 04:43 PM
On 2006-10-22 14:38, heavenly6 wrote:
Here's an idea: Why don't we just not care what system other people are buying it for? That way these stupid little console wars don't happen 10 times a day.

And welcome ot the forum, Iano. I got the possible troll bait red alert when I read your post, but I'm not one to judge or question your intentions, so if it was meant with no malice, then people around here will end up warming up to you before long.

I am impartial to what system someone buys PSU for. The intent of this discussion is to aid a $50-60 decision that must occur within the next few days for those that have not yet made the decision. Not everyone here experienced PSO:BB on the PC, I was simply expressing my PERSONAL experiences to either reinforce someone else's decision or introduce a new thought. I'm sure there are many gamers on the fence. I don't play the console war game. Each console has its pros, cons, and library of exclusives.

Blenjar
Oct 22, 2006, 04:44 PM
Nice topic..nice arguement. lol
If you own a xbox360 and a PC thats more powerfull than the 360..

I say go with 360..I just wonder if people will mess around with the files to duplicate stuff..never know!
I mean im sure they can duplicate stuff on offline games but online..never know...and teh lag..omfg crap!

-- Blen

Weak
Oct 22, 2006, 04:46 PM
The "points" you made in your original post were strictly based on circumstance.

My PC can run Phantasy Star Universe better than a 360. I don't really have much use for voice chat, so throw that out the window. I like the keyboard. I have a USB controller, so the game plays the same.

I just did the same thing you did in a couple of sentences. It's pure opinion.

February
Oct 22, 2006, 04:47 PM
On 2006-10-22 14:43, Iano wrote:

On 2006-10-22 14:38, heavenly6 wrote:

I am impartial to what system someone buys PSU for. The intent of this discussion is to aid a $50-60 decision that must occur within the next few days for those that have not yet made the decision. Not everyone here experienced PSO:BB on the PC, I was simply expressing my PERSONAL experiences to either reinforce someone else's decision or introduce a new thought. I'm sure there are many gamers on the fence. I don't play the console war game. Each console has its pros, cons, and library of exclusives.

No need to defend yourself to me. I'm not judging you. We HAVE had alot of trolls, and console war posts lately. I think that is the reason your post isn't being recieved well. You can't tell someones intended reaction over the internet. People can easily misinterpt "Go ahead and flame me" as "Go ahead, I trolled you now i want to laugh at your responses" etc.

I think you may just have gotten off on the wrong foot is all.

Iano
Oct 22, 2006, 04:49 PM
It's ok, I'm an easy going guy I can take some initial bashing. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Ecstasy
Oct 22, 2006, 04:51 PM
Sorry but im going PC, as i still wan't to be ble to play with a nice sized player base a year from now:)

Mag_Launcher
Oct 22, 2006, 04:52 PM
Also, LOL comfort level. I'm sorry, but using comfort level (or awkwardness of playing a game with a controller on a PC, OH NOES) is just scraping the bottom of the barrel.

A lot of you guys going "Hey man you should get 360 cuz..." all use that sorry ass excuse. GOD FORBID we should play a PC game with a controller. And, on the other side of that, furniture is NOT related to the game or platform, and should not be used as a valid reason like people tend to do lately.

Kyuu
The trouble with the entire "argument" is, as Weak pointed out, that it's pure opinion. There is no "right" or "wrong" here.

I'm going with the PC version. I have a nice 360 controller for my PC, and my office chair is perfectly comfortable. I can even put my feet up on my desk or the neighboring couch if I feel like while I play. Also, even the crappy little 2.1 speaker setup I have on my computer beats the pants off the speakers on my TV.

And also, your points about "problems" that occur with PC games are invalid because, as someone else already pointed out, most of the problems are because the users don't know what they're doing (i.e. haven't updated their drivers in 3 years, mess around with options they don't understand and screw things up, etc. and so on). I personally have experienced more problems with my Xbox than I have with my PC. Had to send the damn thing in for repairs twice. Of course, if your point was that consoles are better for people who aren't PC-savvy and generally don't know what they're doing, then yes you're correct. Thought that was common knowledge though.

Ecstasy
Also i have top of the line PC witch will run PSU at high settings no prob. I've also purchased a Laser mouse, and a eclipse glow keyboard:

Kyuu
Oct 22, 2006, 04:54 PM
On 2006-10-22 14:52, Mag_Launcher wrote:

... furniture is NOT related to the game or platform, and should not be used as a valid reason like people tend to do lately.
QFT. Although yes, more people generally have a couch in front of their TV than they do in front of their computers, bringing up furniture is really just grasping at straws here.

Iano
Oct 22, 2006, 04:54 PM
On 2006-10-22 14:51, Ecstasy wrote:
Sorry but im going PC, as i still wan't to be ble to play with a nice sized player base a year from now:)

Ecstasy, can you expand upon that? I'd like to make the point that you can currently log onto PSO on XBOX and easily join a party. While the player base isn't "strong", its somewhat impressive for a title I haven't seen on a store shelf in almost 3 years.

Kyunji
Oct 22, 2006, 04:56 PM
http://members.lycos.co.uk/idiosyntric/images/1a1a.gif

http://members.lycos.co.uk/idiosyntric/images/p880.jpg

AND I'M HAVING THE TIME OF MY LIFE

Iano
Oct 22, 2006, 04:57 PM
On 2006-10-22 14:54, Kyuu wrote:

... furniture is NOT related to the game or platform, and should not be used as a valid reason like people tend to do lately.
QFT. Although yes, more people generally have a couch in front of their TV than they do in front of their computers, bringing up furniture is really just grasping at straws here.

Is it? I think comfort level is extremely important to the gaming experience. I thought the Nintendo DS was extremely awkward feeling. Because of this my Gameboy SP and PSP were used far more frequently. When the DS Lite was released, the comfort level improved and now I am able to enjoy the games.

Elleranda
Oct 22, 2006, 04:59 PM

That controller looks pretty nice, what is it?

Kimil
Oct 22, 2006, 05:00 PM

No it isn't, Comfort is a big deal:
Your playing a video game for 2-3 hours straight, Spending the whole time with your back arched forward on a pc chair... It would affect comfort for shure, and if your back (and ass, depending on the comfort of the chair) is hurting the intire time, it would make the 2-3 hours of playing the game less like fun leasure time.

Relaxing on a comfy Sofa on the other hand, would sound much better

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kimil on 2006-10-22 15:01 ]</font>

-Break-
This has been discussed a million times. By using the search function you can many posts almost identical to the ones in this thread...

Iano
There's a line-up here...

http://www.saitekusa.com/usa/prod/pcgc.asp

Kyunji
Oct 22, 2006, 05:03 PM
On 2006-10-22 14:59, Elleranda wrote:

That controller looks pretty nice, what is it?

That would be a Saitek P880 (http://www.saitek.com/uk/prod/p880.htm). The P880 one of the basic versions with no wireless/rumble support, but it's still awesome. There're even enough buttons to assign every key in PSU to it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kyunji on 2006-10-22 15:04 ]</font>

Ecstasy
Oct 22, 2006, 05:03 PM
On 2006-10-22 14:54, Iano wrote:

On 2006-10-22 14:51, Ecstasy wrote:

Ecstasy, can you expand upon that? I'd like to make the point that you can currently log onto PSO on XBOX and easily join a party. While the player base isn't "strong", its somewhat impressive for a title I haven't seen on a store shelf in almost 3 years.

From what ive seen x360 users like to jump from game to game fairly quickly. Sure you will have those dedicated players you have with every MMO that is dead. Also i enjoy the ability to mod, and you can't do that with consoles unless you know ALOT about the hardware on that console.

-Break-
Oct 22, 2006, 05:04 PM
On 2006-10-22 15:00, Kimil wrote:

No it isn't, Comfort is a big deal:
Your playing a video game for 2-3 hours straight, Spending the whole time with your back arched forward on a pc chair... It would affect comfort for shure, and if your back (and ass, depending on the comfort of the chair) is hurting the intire time, it would make the 2-3 hours of playing the game less like fun leasure time.

Relaxing on a comfy Sofa on the other hand, would sound much better

Laptop > Console in Comfortability
With a laptop I can play at the park across the street from my house if I want to. But I'm waiting for mid Novemeber for better prices to order my Alienware. So I'm stuck at my desktop, in a beanbag, or a desk chair or whatever I feel like sitting in, hell I could move my couch like 4 feet and sit on that if it really mattered.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: -Break- on 2006-10-22 15:05 ]</font>

Link5
Oct 22, 2006, 05:08 PM
This may have been asked before, but I'm curious. What are the controls layout like for the pc version? Chances are I'll be using a ps2 controller anyway.

Ecstasy
Oct 22, 2006, 05:11 PM
On 2006-10-22 15:08, Link5 wrote:
This may have been asked before, but I'm curious. What are the controls layout like for the pc version? Chances are I'll be using a ps2 controller anyway.

there was a post with the layout of the PC keympa some days ago. From what i remember you use WASD to move, and the arrows for weapons, and attacking. Seemed like a excelent layout to me:)

Elleranda
Oct 22, 2006, 05:14 PM
That would be a Saitek P880 (http://www.saitek.com/uk/prod/p880.htm). The P880 one of the basic versions with no wireless/rumble support, but it's still awesome. There're even enough buttons to assign every key in PSU to it.

So.. the higher the number, the better? I was thinking about getting the P2600 (http://www.saitekusa.com/usa/prod/p2600.htm), but really only because of the higher number and it's not wireless. I.. don't really know what I'm doing.

-Break-
Oct 22, 2006, 05:14 PM
You can change it in game via PSU's menus anway.

Iano
Oct 22, 2006, 05:15 PM
I don't know when this will be released... but MS is making a wireless adapter for the PC that will allow you to use the wireless 360 controller.

Oyako
Oct 22, 2006, 05:20 PM
On 2006-10-22 15:15, Iano wrote:
I don't know when this will be released... but MS is making a wireless adapter for the PC that will allow you to use the wireless 360 controller.

>:O light at the end of the tunnel!!!

Kyunji
Oct 22, 2006, 05:32 PM
On 2006-10-22 15:14, Elleranda wrote:

So.. the higher the number, the better? I was thinking about getting the P2600 (http://www.saitekusa.com/usa/prod/p2600.htm), but really only because of the higher number and it's not wireless. I.. don't really know what I'm doing.

They seem to be functionally identical other than the fact that the P2600 has two extra shoulder triggers. The P880 should work fine, unless you feel like setting dedicated versions for scrolling left and right in menus, which normally just is assigned to the same buttons as other functions anyways.

If you're going to play any other games, you might do well with the extra buttons, but you can play PSU without them.

Iano
Oct 22, 2006, 05:34 PM
On 2006-10-22 15:20, Oyako wrote:

On 2006-10-22 15:15, Iano wrote:

>:O light at the end of the tunnel!!!

Pre-order from Buy.com

link (http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=202927469&SearchEngine=Froogle&SearchTerm=202927469&Type=PE&Category=Game&dcaid=17379)

Enjoy http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rena-ko on 2006-10-22 15:44 ]</font>

Cause_I_Own_U
Oct 22, 2006, 06:56 PM
My computer isent a piece of crap so this wont be a problem, actually it should run better cause ive heard this game r uns like crap on ps2

real men play games siting up on a computer chair not laying on a couch or bed like a lazy bum

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cause_I_Own_U on 2006-10-22 17:00 ]</font>

Garnet_Moon
Oct 22, 2006, 06:58 PM
On 2006-10-22 16:56, Cause_I_Own_U wrote:
ive heard this game r uns like crap on ps2

Why god? Whyyyyy?

Jaleigha
Oct 22, 2006, 07:09 PM
I'll be getting a new intel mac come February and will be getting PSU for it. Until then I'll be playing on the PS2 and most likely most of my playing time will be spent on the PS2.

My computer is in the living and although I have a decent chair, I just don't think I would like sitting here very long playing a game.

When I'm on the PS2 I have a bedroom all to myself, an x-rocker (awesome chair) or stretch out on my futon.

Why get it for the PC then. Mainly to have options, although while gaming I'm not actually spending time with hubby, it's nice to have him in same room with me. I'll game and he'll watch a dvd. When he's not around (which is alot, he works 60 hours a week), I'll be in my gaming room with the music blasting from my comfy x-rocker http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Iano
Oct 22, 2006, 07:16 PM
On 2006-10-22 16:56, Cause_I_Own_U wrote:
My computer isent a piece of crap so this wont be a problem, actually it should run better cause ive heard this game r uns like crap on ps2

real men play games siting up on a computer chair not laying on a couch or bed like a lazy bum

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cause_I_Own_U on 2006-10-22 17:00 ]</font>

In bed... that's a thought. I should mount an lcd hdtv on my ceiling above my bed. Get a soda machine and run a tube into my mouth to provide a constant flow of liquids.

HyperShot-X-
Oct 22, 2006, 07:52 PM
...for those indecisive ppl who still can't make up their mind on which platform to go w/ PSU, i think you need help badly and only you can help urself. But keep in mind that the difference b/ x360 & pc is probably just so small given that it costs about the same amount to get a new x360 or to upgrade pc to run PSU at about the same level.

From my own personal experience at least, the level of frustration and disappointment you get after upgrading ur home pc to play that 'new' game is directly correlated to the amount of time and effort u spent on researching, buying, & installing the parts for upgrade.

so, if u'r not 100% sure about upgrading ur pc and how it will play PSU, and know exactly what to do to make that happen, then going with X360 PSU is the right thing to do most likely.

For those ps2 supporters who are doubtful and hesitant about upgrading to X360 version ... if Saner could do it after playing open beta, i'm sure you can do it too !!! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Lastly, regarding the community size and longevity, it'd be interesting to see how it will unfold between ps2/pc and x360, one side has larger user base and the other is more secure against hacks n cheats. I have a feeling that it'll be a good competition for yrs down the line.

DangerMuse
Oct 22, 2006, 07:54 PM
HyperShot-X-, rational ftw.

AlphaMinotaux
Oct 22, 2006, 07:55 PM
more secure against hacks i believe is a big misconception but whatever.

Rhoak
Oct 22, 2006, 07:56 PM
I usually find it's the 360 players that are most concerned about which platform others will be playing on. I think it's because the 360, much like the Xbox version of PSO, will have the fewest players and the least support from Sega, so they're hoping to pump up their numbers.

Emgro
Oct 22, 2006, 08:08 PM
Bah, real men play games with trackballs and keyboards. None of this "wireless controller" business. And we do it standing up.

On one leg.

Pop_Rocks
Oct 22, 2006, 08:23 PM
I'm going PC. I'm perfectly fine with my crappy monitor, PC controller, and good chair. If it really bothered me I could always just hook it up to the TV anyway. It's win-win!

ethanhawkeye
Oct 22, 2006, 08:25 PM
PC all the way.

Polyester
Oct 22, 2006, 08:28 PM
I would get the PC version if my comp could run it....

Kayai
Oct 22, 2006, 08:33 PM
im going PC all the way...but not meaning to go off topic..

Is the Keyboard/Mouse set up really really hard to use? cause as of now i dont have acess to a USB Controller

Blitzkommando
Oct 22, 2006, 08:34 PM
My sofa feels like a dead carcass and smells like ass. My television for gaming is a very old projection television, back when those things were 'hip' and 'new'. Today the quality really shows, it's shit. There's no way in hell I would set it up on the good television and couch set because, frankly, I don't want to bother the other members of the household at all hours of the day (and night).

My computer on the other hand has a beautiful monitor, 5.1 speakers, an Xbox360 controller that is love, and a plush leather chair that is almost too comfortable. Plus it's all in my personal room so I don't have to worry about bothering others. So, for me, I hate sitting at the television playing games compared to my computer setup.

Musashy
Oct 22, 2006, 08:35 PM
3 grand and an alienware computer says your wrong buddy..........

HyperShot-X-
Oct 22, 2006, 08:43 PM
On 2006-10-22 17:56, Rhoak wrote:
... I think it's because the 360, much like the Xbox version of PSO, will have the fewest players and the least support from Sega, so they're hoping to pump up their numbers.

Not this time around, time has passed and things change. What Sega has been doing thru open beta on X360 and will be doing after the simultaneous launch on 10/24 is realizing the potential and opportunity that was presented on a specific platform and investing their resources and supports to make it as successful as the other platforms.

Sega proved that they care about x360 users when they patched the boss fight bug and taken out the glitch tutorial from beta, and also adding twice as much servers to lessen the lag(from 18 to 36 universes) and extending the beta period for 2 more days due to Xbox Live down time for maintenance.

So, i have no doubt that the same thing happened on PSOX in the past will not happen again on PSU as long as the community keeps interacting with ST thru constructive feedbacks and have a little faith in them and realize what they have done for us customers.

Also, this time, PSU can be played with free Xbox Live Silver account as well as Gold which is only the gateway to connect to Sega's own server maintained by themselves, not by Microsoft at all, so timely update for new online contents is out of the question.

EvolXx
Oct 22, 2006, 08:43 PM
My only problem is the people who are playing on the 360 are stuck playing with the people on the 360, they should of done the massive consel swap like FFXI. Whos fucking IDEA was it?

Oh well..

Rhoak
Oct 22, 2006, 09:01 PM
On 2006-10-22 18:43, HyperShot-X- wrote:
Not this time around, time has passed and things change. What Sega has been doing thru open beta on X360 and will be doing after the simultaneous launch on 10/24 is realizing the potential and opportunity that was presented on a specific platform and investing their resources and supports to make it as successful as the other platforms.

Sega proved that they care about x360 users when they patched the boss fight bug and taken out the glitch tutorial from beta, and also adding twice as much servers to lessen the lag(from 18 to 36 universes) and extending the beta period for 2 more days due to Xbox Live down time for maintenance.

So, i have no doubt that the same thing happened on PSOX in the past will not happen again on PSU as long as the community keeps interacting with ST thru constructive feedbacks and have a little faith in them and realize what they have done for us customers.

Also, this time, PSU can be played with free Xbox Live Silver account as well as Gold which is only the gateway to connect to Sega's own server maintained by themselves, not by Microsoft at all, so timely update for new online contents is out of the question.

Well, I hope your right, the only reason I wouldn't get the 360 version is 1. I don't have one and 2. It's separated from the PS2/PC players. The second one is a big reason I think the 360 will be behind the PS2/PC because Sega will release the Japanese content/updates to them first. Then the US/EU PS2/PC. And 360 last. If you visit any 360 board, more people seem un-impressed with PSU due to it's older gfx and $10 subscription fee.

I think the 360 version has the best potential because it is the most powerful console to offer PSU, but I think its disadvantages will mean it will be the least populated and behind in content updates.

AlphaMinotaux
Oct 22, 2006, 09:14 PM
On 2006-10-22 18:43, HyperShot-X- wrote:

On 2006-10-22 17:56, Rhoak wrote:
... I think it's because the 360, much like the Xbox version of PSO, will have the fewest players and the least support from Sega, so they're hoping to pump up their numbers.

well thats sorta what beta was for, fix problems before the game went out on the market or many people would stop playing without thinking twice about it :/

OrgazmoX
Oct 22, 2006, 09:17 PM
why does everyone act like people want to spend so much money just to play one game? i just bought a 360 on ebay plus the game(preorder) for only 425 total.

i'd have to pay at least 2 to 3 hundred more dollars just for this game when i already got a stable system that can play other games without ram updates and new graphics/sound card that are pretty much the same quality.

i wouldn't pay for that and do all of that installation if i wanted to plus i'm more of a console guy anyway.

sorry...just don't see the point

AlphaMinotaux
Oct 22, 2006, 09:19 PM
i'd never buy a console on ebay lol, hope it works out for ya OrgazmoX

if i ever got a 360 i would mod it on the spot and burn all my games cept for the ones i want to play online all the time.

OrgazmoX
Oct 22, 2006, 09:21 PM
it works...i guess i was just lucky http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

-BK-
Oct 22, 2006, 09:32 PM
I don't think the original poster was trying to convince anyone to buy a 360, the whole "own them all and not sure what to play on" part kinda tipped me off to that. I've never supported buying a console for the purpose of only playing 1 game (except a Wii for Zelda). I've seen a lot of valid argument, but also a lot of invalid coming from both sides.

If you don't want to voicechat, don't plug in a headset. Want you use a keyboard? Plug it in. I'm actually more dissapointed that Sega is hosting the server for the 360 version because of the problems they've had with previous releases, but I'm hoping that they've learned from those problems and have ironed them out.

There's no need to attack the original poster for anything they said in any of their posts as none of it was biased.

All versions will have their idiots and uninformed. All versions will have their share of bugs and glitches. All versions are going to have negative things in and around them. It's because man can't create perfect things.

OrgazmoX
Oct 22, 2006, 09:34 PM
very profound post...totally agree

FenixStryk
Oct 22, 2006, 09:48 PM
Original poster is a genius. PC users are bitter. Let's look at why the 360 version is better.

Built-in Voice Chat
Built-in Wireless Controller
Built-in Bigger Monitor
Built-in Best Graphics
Built-in Couch
Less Hacks

To get the same experience on a PC, you need to spend a LOT of money. We're talking a top-of-the-line computer with an AV-out capable video card, a new controller, a headset, and Ventrillo. Even then, the voice chat is still harder to use. The 360 is easier to set up and is just more casual player-friendly.

Arcturus
Oct 22, 2006, 09:56 PM
I prefer my PC for the following reasons:
1. Graphics are customizeable to your liking
2. Pick from xfire, ventrilo, teamspeak... your choice
3. Keyboard for typing
4. It isnt made just for games
5. Swap out in-game music with your own music on itunes or whatever you use
6. If need be, you can easily check on the internet for something while playing (I have had to in multiple cases)
7. I just prefer PCs for gaming, since theyre a lot more flexible

FenixStryk
Oct 22, 2006, 10:04 PM
On 2006-10-22 19:56, Arcturus wrote:
3. Keyboard for typing
6. If need be, you can easily check on the internet for something while playing (I have had to in multiple cases)
1. If you can figure out a way to raise the graphics higher than the max, maybe, and at that point, that's borderline exploting.
2. Considering that all 3 are harder to use and less versatile than the 360's built-in voice chat... no.
3. You can plug in any USB KB from your PC to 360 if desired.
4. True.
5. 360 supports custom soundtracks.
6. See 4.
7. If you have the money.

-BK-
Oct 22, 2006, 10:11 PM
On 2006-10-22 19:48, FenixStryk wrote:
Original poster is a genius. PC users are bitter. Let's look at why the 360 version is better.

Built-in Voice Chat
Built-in Wireless Controller
Built-in Bigger Monitor
Built-in Best Graphics
Built-in Couch
Less Hacks

To get the same experience on a PC, you need to spend a LOT of money. We're talking a top-of-the-line computer with an AV-out capable video card, a new controller, a headset, and Ventrillo. Even then, the voice chat is still harder to use. The 360 is easier to set up and is just more casual player-friendly.

PC users can voicechat too, most of them already are prepared for that. Not all 360 owners have a wireless controller, and with bluetooth and such wireless controllers are becoming possible for PC's. The graphics really are comparable for the most part on all 3 systems. More people have an LCD monitor for thier pc which would ultimately look better than a tube tv. Since when did 360's come with couch's since I don't have one with mine. For some people their PC is already prepared. That said...

On 2006-10-22 19:56, Arcturus wrote:
3. Keyboard for typing

Can plug in a keyboard to 360. 360 isn't made just for games either. I believe you can turn off the music no matter which version you're playing. My PC and 360 are close enough to each other that I sit at my computer while playing.

Again, not everyone is set up exactly like everyone else for each system. Not everyone buying the PC version will have a recent graphics card or have all their drivers updated. Maybe they'll barely have enough ram and see slow down because of that. Maybe they'll be forced to share access to the PC.

So I'm not picking on just one side:
Maybe not everyone that has a 360 or PS2 has the ability to connect it to the net easily. Maybe the TV that the console is connected has to be shared or the console itself.

There's a lot more to think about on both sides than just what makes it more appealing in your own eyes.

FenixStryk
Oct 22, 2006, 10:15 PM
BK has a fair point, but you have to consider something: which version is easiest to get to peak comfort? That would be the 360.
While if you have the time and money, you can catch up to the 360 and possibly pass it, it's just not feasible.

-BK-
Oct 22, 2006, 10:21 PM
Again, only for you. Being a PC and console gamer I can easily switch between my 2 main systems comfortably. My chair is very comfortable for sitting in for long periods of time and I can always play in windowed mode if I want to chat with friends outside of the game. My PC is easily comparable to my 360 because of the fact that I set myself up for gaming with ease. A lot of people have already spent that time and money on their computer and the addition of their friends playing either the PC or PS2 version helps make the decision to go that route easier. Honestly, the only reason I'm getting the 360 version is because my best friend will be in that one.

There just isn't really 1 set version for peak comfort, it's all in how YOU set YOURSELF up.

Parn
Oct 22, 2006, 10:26 PM
Built-in Bigger Monitor
Built-in Best Graphics
Nope. First off, the game runs at 1280x720 on Xbox 360. The PC version goes up to 1280x1024. Granted, we don't get widescreen support, but we get 304 more lines of clarity. PC users have access to the best looking version of the game.

Of course, I like how proponents of the console who scream at how PCs are so expensive always conveniently forget to mention a certain additional expense. In order to even enjoy the Xbox 360's 720p visuals, you require a $1000 HDTV. The cheapest 720p HDTV you can buy after a quick check through Pricegrabber is a Samsung which retails at $950, not including shipping.

Xbox 360 + HDTV will cost you more than building a PC of your own that's capable of running PSU at max spec.

FenixStryk
Oct 22, 2006, 10:30 PM
Lol, call me crazy, but a good PC is at least 2K. A 360 and a 1K HDTV is still less expensive, and using your logic, a 17" HDTV will be suffcient since it still has 1080p resolution.

Parn
Oct 22, 2006, 10:34 PM
You really have no idea what you're talking about. I built a Core 2 Duo system for $1300, and PSU isn't optimized for multi-core CPUs (which is why the Xbox 360 version has slowdown issues in spots). If I wanted to build a decent single-core computer that'd run PSU with no problems, I could do it EASILY for under a grand. EASY.

Bleemo
Oct 22, 2006, 10:36 PM
On 2006-10-22 20:30, FenixStryk wrote:
Lol, call me crazy, but a good PC is at least 2K. A 360 and a 1K HDTV is still less expensive, and using your logic, a 17" HDTV will be suffcient since it still has 1080p resolution.

I wouldn't get confused with name brand built computers, lol.

Building a PC with enough power to easily run max specs on PSU will cost but a fraction of what a name brand computer with the same power would cost.

OrgazmoX
Oct 22, 2006, 10:36 PM
you're right BK but you've got to admit if most people didn't have an upgraded pc it would be a bitch to pimp out.

anyway, play with whats the most comfortable to you.

personally, i use my computer for porn and you dont need any upgrades for that...

Thanks

Typhoeus
Oct 22, 2006, 10:39 PM
Samsung is really good quality (on par with Sony) but *really* expensive. I bought a 32" Westinghouse HDTV, with HDMI, 720p, the works for $799.99 at Best Buy. My friend has a 21" HDTV (it's a monitor sized TV) that displays 720p for $300ish dollars last year. HDTVs, are very affordable now, people who don't think so haven't shopped around enough.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Typhoeus on 2006-10-22 20:39 ]</font>

Arcturus
Oct 22, 2006, 10:40 PM
On 2006-10-22 20:36, OrgazmoX wrote:
personally, i use my computer for porn and you dont need any upgrades for that...

Due to this comment, any arguing from here on in is useless. There's no way to refute that conclusion.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Arcturus on 2006-10-22 20:41 ]</font>

Parn
Oct 22, 2006, 10:42 PM
PCs are also very affordable. The point is, there is no blatant advantage to owning the PC version over the Xbox 360 version, or vice versa. And that's what I'm trying to get at. This entire thread was nothing more than flamebait. Consider the bait taken.

-BK-
Oct 22, 2006, 10:44 PM
The thread wasn't meant for flamebait, it's what people turned it into. The OP was offering an honest opinion based on their observations and the posts following got riddled with biased responces.

Typhoeus
Oct 22, 2006, 10:44 PM
I agree with you completely bud. I just wanted to point out the lowering prices and affordability of HDTV's which some people don't know about yet. And yes, we've all taken the bait countless times.

Parn
Oct 22, 2006, 10:46 PM
On that note, I'm still waiting for HDTVs to become standard before I take the plunge on one...

Weak
Oct 22, 2006, 10:46 PM
The OP was offering an honest opinion.

While titling the thread with "Why you should go console".

xenokai
Oct 22, 2006, 10:49 PM
PSU was built on the PC first and pretty much ported to ps2 and 360. You can notice because the walking and strafing is exactly like a pc game would be. But i liked using the controller on 360 but i could tell it was meant for kb. i still plan on using my 360 controller with the pc version. oh and the 360 version would lag masive whe someone talked so thats bad choice for my connection.

xenokai
Oct 22, 2006, 10:54 PM
No parn the 360 version has slowdown because it was badly ported lol And very rushed. the slowdown wasnt that bad tho. anyone who has played kameo or ninghty nine nights know how well the 360 can handle effects and objects on screen.

OrgazmoX
Oct 22, 2006, 10:56 PM
pcs aren't really that affordable. i still would pay about 600 if i didn't build it myself which i'm to lazy to do rather than 460 for xbox+game

Arcturus
Oct 22, 2006, 10:56 PM
On 2006-10-22 20:49, xenokai wrote:
PSU was built on the PC first and pretty much ported to ps2 and 360. You can notice because the walking and strafing is exactly like a pc game would be. But i liked using the controller on 360 but i could tell it was meant for kb. i still plan on using my 360 controller with the pc version. oh and the 360 version would lag masive whe someone talked so thats bad choice for my connection.

The reason your lag was so bad was probably because it was the beta. Don't expect to encounter almost all of the beta problems in the game when it's released.

Also, the keyboard is good for typing, but controllers have it beat in every other area.

Just so everyone knows, I'm all for fighting both sides of this argument to make it constructive... I just prefer the PC over console.

Animasaki
Oct 22, 2006, 11:22 PM
While it may not fit in with all of the arguing, I do have a recommendation for anyone who wants a great (albeit single-user) HDTV option, but can't afford $700+: a widescreen LCD computer monitor.

I'm using a Dell 2007WFP at the moment with both my 360 and PC connected to it, and it's wonderful. At the push of a button, I'm able to switch between my 360, TV tuner, and PC, or use picture-in-picture. I sound like a bit of a salesman, but when you've gone through the crap I have getting a great screen, you get mighty happy when you finally find one that's this good.

Just a thought for those who could use it! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Tycho
Oct 23, 2006, 01:15 AM
In PSU, communication, is a requirement. Furthermore, the PC requirements for PSU have already been figured out.
Another fact: The English closed beta was for the PC, and participants received a wired X-Box 360 gamepad with the pack to play it.

You do the math.

Kyuu
Oct 23, 2006, 01:50 AM
On 2006-10-22 23:15, Tycho wrote:

In PSU, communication, is a requirement. Furthermore, the PC requirements for PSU have already been figured out.
Another fact: The English closed beta was for the PC, and participants received a wired X-Box 360 gamepad with the pack to play it.

You do the math.
Mayhaps I'm dense, but I honestly don't know exactly what you're trying to say here.

AlphaMinotaux
Oct 23, 2006, 02:54 AM
On 2006-10-22 23:50, Kyuu wrote:

On 2006-10-22 23:15, Tycho wrote:

You do the math.
Mayhaps I'm dense, but I honestly don't know exactly what you're trying to say here.

What he is trying to say is..

"In PSU, communication, is a requirement. Furthermore, the PC requirements for PSU have already been figured out.
Another fact: The English closed beta was for the PC, and participants received a wired X-Box 360 gamepad with the pack to play it."

Anyway people saying that Console gaming is much more comfortable is just a big misconception. Out of all my friends and i have had many over the years no1 really has the perfect setup to play games. i'm pretty sure most the people here are minors or still living at home meaning that the big screen in the living room is not where you will be playing 24/7. This is speaking of personal experience but when i'm playing on the big screen my dad gets home from work. he is, "GTFO thats my tv" and i QQ all the way to my room where my crapppy tv is.

im sorry im sorry imdasidubsdyhasdhasz,rtv1 my minds not thinking right goodnight

AlphaMinotaux
Oct 23, 2006, 02:57 AM
On 2006-10-23 00:54, AlphaMinotaux wrote:

Anyway people saying that Console gaming is much more comfortable is just a big misconception. Out of all my friends and i have had many over the years no1 really has the perfect setup to play games. i'm pretty sure most the people here are minors or still living at home meaning that the big screen in the living room is not where you will be playing 24/7. This is speaking of personal experience but when i'm playing on the big screen my dad gets home from work. he is, "GTFO thats my tv" and i QQ all the way to my room where my crapppy tv is.

im sorry im sorry imdasidubsdyhasdhasz,rtv1 my minds not thinking right goodnight

This guy right here is on crack!(or very anxious for a game to come out)
"It's a piece of cake to bake a pretty cake"

Eviltaru
Oct 23, 2006, 03:01 AM
Why arguying? 360 will have their world and PS2/PC will have their's so let's play in peace in both total different WORLD ... go whatever you want to go with ... trying to convince some PC/PS2 go over 360 vice versa 360 to PC/PS2 which will bring into mass argument ! LOL

I'm pretty sure by now everyone should have made their mind so this thread will just become a war thread among PC/PS2 vs 360 !

I'm heading for PC... but I do not care at all what's going to happen or extra option they'll get for 360 as they will be seperated from us, I'll just care only about PS2 & PC user ... and hey! 360 are paying $10 extra for the game at start so I have no complain here =)

Soulwatcher
Oct 23, 2006, 08:27 AM
For me its a no brainier!

A. Play on my almost 5 year old PC. (Which is slower then hell)

B. Play on my shiny new 360 with its Superior graphics.

C. Play on my PS2 and squint my eyes so I can make out the graphics.

The answer is B!!!!!

Now don't get me wrong, I don't want to start any flame wars. But the PS2 is really showing its age. If PSU was going to be on the PS3 it would be a toss up. When I get my income taxes next year I will be the first person in line for the $600 PS3.

Soulwatcher

OrgazmoX
Oct 23, 2006, 09:17 AM
i've got the same situation as you, Soulwatcher...

Not that i'm saying i don't like pcs or anything i just not going through the hassle of beefing up my crappy pc right now when i've got a nice new 360 with no upgrades needed

Realmz
Oct 23, 2006, 09:23 AM
well it makes me glad to see that at least xenokai understands how games are made.

i've preordered the PC version because one, it puts me in the creators seat mindset of using the computer, two i don't have an xbox, and three, i was able to buy the PC version for only 20 dollars http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

score!

Tycho
Oct 23, 2006, 10:01 AM
On 2006-10-22 23:50, Kyuu wrote:
That apparently Sega thinks playing the PC version (albeit using a gamepad) is a great way to enjoy the game, rather than "OMG CONSOLE VERSION R BETTAARRR". Or something.

qoxolg
Oct 23, 2006, 10:24 AM
On 2006-10-22 20:26, Parn wrote:

Built-in Bigger Monitor
Built-in Best Graphics
Nope. First off, the game runs at 1280x720 on Xbox 360. The PC version goes up to 1280x1024. Granted, we don't get widescreen support, but we get 304 more lines of clarity. PC users have access to the best looking version of the game.

Of course, I like how proponents of the console who scream at how PCs are so expensive always conveniently forget to mention a certain additional expense. In order to even enjoy the Xbox 360's 720p visuals, you require a $1000 HDTV. The cheapest 720p HDTV you can buy after a quick check through Pricegrabber is a Samsung which retails at $950, not including shipping.

Xbox 360 + HDTV will cost you more than building a PC of your own that's capable of running PSU at max spec.

When will you ever learn it...

PSU360 FULLY supports 1280x1024.. I tried it on my 19" monitor and it works perfect...no borders like 90% of all other 360 games. But still I switched to widescreen 1280x768 which gives the smallesst borders off all widescreen resolutions..
I already said this a few times, but 1280x1024 is the most stupid resolution out there.. it's 5:4 which is even more square than 4:3.. use 1280x960 instead.

As I already said, I play the game on an old 19"CRT monitor that is still perfect for HD gaming, so there goes your point about the expensive HD-tv..

And as far as I know the PC version doesn't have the dept of field effect and widescreen support. With the fact that the 360 is also capable of your pointless 304 lines, the PC is in no way superiour to the 360.

And most demo's for the 360 have slowdown, the final version will probably run fine.

The reason people prefer a console is because they hate to tweak every driver, every setting, spending hours on editting files to gain 2FPS.. while a console will give solid games and graphics for 5 years.