PDA

View Full Version : YOUR advice to new players?

Tycho
Oct 23, 2006, 01:23 AM
I figured it might be useful if there was a thread for people to give their advice to new players that were about to get the game, even if this effort will probably be off the first page in a few hours!
To start off, here are mine:

In PSU your well-fare mostly depends on how well you manage to do at missions, which is dependent on the number of deaths and the number of monsters killed.

- Get decent armor, and make sure you don't die!
- Try to learn the map patterns, so you won't need to unnecessarily miss monsters.
- Try to get a personal shop. When you do manage to get one, you could sell stuff you found for a lot more than you previously could, since NPCs aren't willing to pay much at all.

I wonder if this thread will work.

ProfessorZ
Oct 23, 2006, 01:24 AM
Don't beg for things

DrizaSiegmund
Oct 23, 2006, 01:26 AM
THIS IS WHAT I DID AND IT HELPED IN SEVERAL WAYS

- connect your vcr to your tv, or use your digicam and record your character creation

This help if:

You decide your char is maybe abit too tall and want to recreate them quickly.
An error might occur at the begining and there is a rollback.
Your character is human/newman/beast but for joys sake you want to create a cast version of them.
You bought a new haircolour that is not as leet as the one you had at first so you want to compare.
From a second look you'd like your characters face to look maybe abit rounder or sharper.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DrizaSiegmund on 2006-10-22 23:37 ]</font>

JaiBlue
Oct 23, 2006, 01:27 AM
Don't join just any random party (WITHOUT PERMISSION!)
*edit*

HAPPY NOW! sheesh! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: JaiBlue on 2006-10-22 23:45 ]</font>

HUnewearl_Meira
Oct 23, 2006, 01:29 AM
Do the Tutorial with all your characters.
Don't bother buying the 800 meseta weapon; you will outgrow it far to quickly.
It is unlikely that you will be able to handle an area with level 15+ monsters at level 7, though at level 4 you may be able to handle level 10+ monsters.
Buy the "Fountain" room decoration, and use it. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Evolution
Oct 23, 2006, 01:31 AM
Firstly, great thread. Secondly I believe it all depends on who you play with. I had a very positive experience with the PSU 360 beta. Even though I've been playing since PSO dreamcast, I felt like a total noob when I got on psu. I ran into some really friendly people and they would usually go out of their way to explain things to me if I asked, show me where to buy what etc etc.

Theres still a lot I don't know about the game but once I got the basics down I always helped others when they asked. For me a big part of pso's charm was the great community it had, so I always try to make the community a better place. Theres nothing wrong with being new and making mistakes.

Bleemo
Oct 23, 2006, 01:32 AM
On 2006-10-22 23:27, JaiBlue wrote:
Don't join just any random party.

Err, random parties are how you meet people. Not a good thing to suggest to new players.

My suggestion: By using your storage bin, you can transfer items between your own characters. You can use this to your advantage by constantly creating new characters for different clothes, or taking their starter items and using them to feed your Partner Machine.

Ether
Oct 23, 2006, 01:38 AM
Don't join just any random party.

-Don't take the above advice. Try to be as friendly and welcoming as you can. Don't freak out when people die, mission rewards aren't worth losing friends over

-Learn monster elements and their weakness. For hunters, craft or buy from players, weapons that are elementally strong towards the enemies you fight, you'll do a lot more damage than just buying the strongest neutral weapon you can find

-Don't sell scape dolls to the vendor

-Don't melee the dragons feet. He'll step on you http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

-Hunters don't ignore handguns. Rangers dont ignore melee weapons. There are enemies that take half damage from both types, and it sucks when you don't have a backup weapon for them

Sleet_v2
Oct 23, 2006, 01:46 AM
dont suck.

Clyde
Oct 23, 2006, 01:48 AM
Don't abandon team mates just to open a couple of boxes/crates

BluCast20xx
Oct 23, 2006, 01:48 AM
Keep and use ALL your boards....it will save you money!

at early levels, solo the Guardians Colony "C" missions to get S-rank, giving you more money and some mission points for your level, as well as a whole slump of items for sythesizing.

when you join a party, be polite and say hi to your comrades!

Bleemo
Oct 23, 2006, 01:51 AM
* Take the time to read through this synthesis guide. (http://www.pso-world.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=2433) To that note, take the time to learn about synthesis in general. Find out which item types you want to synthesize and what materials they would require, so you know which synthesis materials you should and shouldn't sell for meseta.

* Visit psupedia.org (http://www.psupedia.org/index.php?title=Main_Page) for any information you need on PSU before posting your questions on these forums.

* You can lock your own games by setting a numbered password. The option will be available to you in the list before starting a new mission. Locking games will prevent any unwanted outsiders from joining your game.

* Don't be a loot whore. Even if the game's loot setting was set for free for all, count the number of items you've been picking up. Always open crates after the room has been cleared of monsters. Try to make it fair for everyone and you will earn respect.

DrizaSiegmund
Oct 23, 2006, 01:52 AM
Remember, even if someone is mean at the time, no-one is naturally a bad person (man i wish i realised this during other mmos).

Also if you're a Force:
and you buy stat increasing magic (Agtal, Zotial etc)
give that spell some extra usefullness by buying a unit for your armour that also does what the spell does, for a very nice boost.
(eg. zotial = evasion up, so why not buy an evasion up unit :>

Ok suddenly this sounds like the Queer Eye for the Straight Guy tips section O_o;;

Axios-
Oct 23, 2006, 01:55 AM
Don't join just any random party (WITHOUT PERMISSION!)
*edit*

HAPPY NOW! sheesh! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

No, join random parties, and when you get there, don't be an ass to people. If you leave a game open, don't be an ass to random people who join.

Kyuu
Oct 23, 2006, 01:59 AM
On 2006-10-22 23:51, Bleemo wrote:

* Don't be a loot whore. Even if the game's loot setting was set for free for all, count the number of items you've been picking up. Always open crates after the room has been cleared of monsters. Try to make it fair for everyone and you will earn respect.
Another option instead of this is just to make sure your games are always set to one of the two Random looting schemes, and always set your games to one of them. That way, it doesn't matter who picks up what, and no one can be a loot whore.

Kyro_Ryuu
Oct 23, 2006, 01:59 AM
Great idea for a post. Unfortunatly I cant help contribute to the information since I am one of those new players, but I can guarentee I will be keeping tabs on this post. Actually I am not only new to PSU, but I am new to the whole Phantasy Star series. I want to say thank you to everyone who contributes cause I am sure I will be using the information. ^_^

DrizaSiegmund
Oct 23, 2006, 02:01 AM
On 2006-10-22 23:59, Kyro_Ryuu wrote:
Great idea for a post.Actually I am not only new to PSU, but I am new to the whole Phantasy Star series. I want to say thank you to everyone who contributes cause I am sure I will be using the information. ^_^

You're welcome bub.

AnamanaAU
Oct 23, 2006, 02:03 AM
Do your part for the community, don't spam towns with dancing & sexual innuendo.

JaiBlue
Oct 23, 2006, 02:06 AM
>_< Just because someone's party is open it still dosen't give anyone the right to just jump on in. No one would like it if any random person just walked into their house, same concept applies here. Seriously since when did asking become so hard.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: JaiBlue on 2006-10-23 00:07 ]</font>

DrizaSiegmund
Oct 23, 2006, 02:07 AM
On 2006-10-23 00:06, JaiBlue wrote:
>_< Just because someone's party is open it still dosen't give anyone the right to just jump on in. No one would like if any random person just walked into their house ,same concept applies here.

Could you like, stop talking on behalf of everyone?

Edit: i say this because i have met the people who have litterally changed my life due to random chance of entering the same room.

For new people, who knows who you may meet, giv it a chance just be polite.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DrizaSiegmund on 2006-10-23 00:09 ]</font>

AnamanaAU
Oct 23, 2006, 02:09 AM
>_< Just because someone's party is open it still dosen't give anyone the right to just jump on in. No one would like it if any random person just walked into their house, same concept applies here. Seriously since when did asking become so hard.
Learn to password and stop being a jerk. Here's my advice, kid.

JaiBlue
Oct 23, 2006, 02:09 AM
On 2006-10-23 00:07, DrizaSiegmund wrote:

>_< Just because someone's party is open it still dosen't give anyone the right to just jump on in. No one would like if any random person just walked into their house ,same concept applies here.

Could you like, stop talking on behalf of everyone?

where in that sentence did it say I was?

Bleemo
Oct 23, 2006, 02:10 AM

Open games are open for a reason. They are just like open games were back in PSO; they just look different.

If you don't want anyone random joining your group, lock your games. If not, the assumed notion is that they are perfectly fine with others joining.

You may have just been told by ignorant people to leave the game frequently because they weren't aware they could just lock their games, lol.

DrizaSiegmund
Oct 23, 2006, 02:11 AM
guys guys guys this is meant to be a helpfull thread no insults, lets try not to get this thread locked due to indiffrences.

JaiBlue
Oct 23, 2006, 02:13 AM
Know what I thru talking, if everybody wants to go joining in anyones party all willy nilly fine it's none of my business, just hope it's not one of mine.

Buh Bye and see you guys on psu. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: JaiBlue on 2006-10-23 00:16 ]</font>

HKDon
Oct 23, 2006, 02:16 AM
If ya can, try to play the offline mode first to get a feel for the controls and mechanics, theres nothing worse than a team of people asking "How do I attack? how do I heal myself? why am I dieing?" I know theres a tutorial online but it never hurts to brush up http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif
Try not to leave the team just because things arn't going well in the mission, theres nothing worse then when your about to take on a boss and a member leaves because "this team sucks! you'll never beat this boss" It's very annoying and you look bad ><
And my worthless opnion about the loot setting, if your the party leader ask people what they want for a setting, that way you can TRY to keep people happy.

Miyoko
Oct 23, 2006, 02:18 AM
How about...

"No, you're NOT all knowing about the game -- At this point, nobody is. Having studied or not, don't be affraid to ask others questions!"

PLURSprout
Oct 23, 2006, 02:30 AM
Learn to love lock on and strafing, no matter what job you choose you'll be doing a lot of both. And disregard the post about not joining random parties, it's HOW you actually meet people in PSU (and was how I met some really great people in PSO). Let's see, proper etiquette, ask before giving guild cards, don't give said cards during battle (it's annoying when you die because someone just HAD to become friends with you during an ambush), always greet when entering a party. Other than that I think previous posts have stated it well.

PS. Remember to eat, drink, and sleep, preferably at regular intervals. MMORPG does not trump survival (unfortunately). Plus what better way to piss off your team than to pass out because you've been going for 2 days straight without so much as a potty break.

See you guys ONLINE!

BrandonBa2
Oct 23, 2006, 03:47 AM
Kill stuff. A lot.

UltraDeeDer
Oct 23, 2006, 03:58 AM
TEH X BUTTON KILLS STUFF. TEH OTHERS ARE NOT FOR U.

Zarbolord
Oct 23, 2006, 04:01 AM
Remember to train your PM and to give it the right items for the crafting skills you need http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Phaze37
Oct 23, 2006, 04:22 AM

I hope you don't kick people from your games when they try to join without permission. If you do, don't you realize how annoying that is JaiBlue? If you don't want random people joining your games, set a password. I read somewhere that it is possible to do this in the middle of the game now, so there is no excuse not to lock your games. When I used to play tony hawk online, alot of hosts would kick me from the game as soon as I joined because they couldnt be bothered to set a password, even though you can set one in the middle of a game. When this happens a couple of times or more, it gets really annoying because you have to sit through loading screens each time you try to join.

So, here's my advice: Don't be one of those annoying hosts that kicks people from the game for no good reason when they try to join just because you can't be bothered to set a password. Be kind to other players, and don't kick them unless they're being truly disruptive.

I'm really disapointed in the elitism I'm seeing before the game has even been released.

Nani-chan
Oct 23, 2006, 04:25 AM
If you only accept players in a certain level range, then edit your comment to show that range. Edit comment is a choice near setting password and item distribution.

UltraDeeDer
Oct 23, 2006, 06:26 AM
Always check the levels of the characters in the party before you join.

Your level 10, and see two level elevens and a level nine: Perfect match jump on in.
Your level 10, and see two level thirties and a level sixty: No one wants a lowbie to screw their S rank.

Ofcourse the same goes for if you are the level thirty. No one wants some one taking all the kills/items/fame/glory/chicks. Oh and always wait for your party before entering the boss arena.

For all those wondering: Hell yes lowbie is my new word for today! A player's skill is not measured by how many hours they have ground Linear Line ranked C to buff their level. But it helps.

EDIT: 69th post. HEWL YEAH. Bring on the party/fun/booze/hangover/depression/sock!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: UltraDeeDer on 2006-10-23 04:29 ]</font>

voxie
Oct 23, 2006, 06:30 AM
Do a couple of solos to get the hang of the controls without being a burden to others.

Get decent armor? It's way too expensive, so don't rush into that. Focus on getting the controls right, collecting materials, and forging items from the boards w=you will no doubt be picking up while soloing.

And yes, don't beg for stuff. Wait until you're offered it at least. It's just manners!

Also, feed your PM with any items you think you might not need (eg. monomates once you get Resta, or materials you keep getting, like Par Wood for example).

Ah, the list goes on. But there's almost always someone in the busy lobbies willing to help.

Just ask!

Katrina
Oct 23, 2006, 06:37 AM
If I could only give one tidbit of advice to anyone I see having a bit of trouble, or questions, it would be to visit these msg boards.

Lovejuice
Oct 23, 2006, 06:48 AM
Be prepared to buy/find/synth/own more than one of the same weapon for use during lengthy missions to deal with PP issues. Do not be a cheap ass with Photon Arts.
Resta range is smaller than ever. Be prepared to get closer to a Force if you are in need of healing. Nor should you stress if a Force isn't getting to you quick enough. Cast times are longer and there is generally more land to traverse now. They are also much weaker DFP/HP wise and may need to take in to account their own safety.
I agree with the comment about grabbing an image of your character's modifications at creation. I can not count the number of times I would create a character on the JP version, and get an Error 38 (timeout) when I then finalise my decision and enter the game. All my 'creating' would be lost. Quite annoying (of course this may not happen on the US/PAL version..). On the PC, this means whacking the "Print Screen" key.
Please bring Scape Dolls with you if you have them spare. A ressurection (or rather, death avoidance) through the use of a Scape does not affect mission rank.
Remember to check out the different manufacturers of weapons (by going to the other planets) before making your decision to purchase something new in the event that you are unsure. You may be able to find something that better fits your needs (more ATP, more PP, more ATA etc).
THE SHOP TO BUY HATS, CHANGE HAIRSTYLE, CHANGE SKIN TONE, AND GET A NANOBLAST TATTOO IS ON THE 3F OF GUARDIANS COLONY - it has a purple door and is called "Lumilass" (the amount of times this question has come up causes great hilarity!)

Magician
Oct 23, 2006, 06:58 AM
-Don't yell at the forces, asking them to heal you, they know their job.
-Early on, if you're a hunter, don't destroy every enemy asap. Let the rangers and forces tag.
-Hunters, carry plenty of heal items just in case forces can't get to you in time.

afcakey
Oct 23, 2006, 07:10 AM
don't skip red boxes -_-

Mewn
Oct 23, 2006, 07:33 AM
* Be prepared to learn. There are various resources - this site, PSUPedia, the official forums, and PSUniverse.net are the major ones. If you can read Japanese check out the JP PSU wiki and other sites you can find. If you can't, babelfish the site or something. You can still learn a few things.
* Be prepared to fail. No-one is a master from day 1.
* Be prepared to take advice, and use it. You won't get better otherwise.
* Be prepared to experiment and have fun, 'tis a game after all. Although we all know that INTERNET is SERIOUS BUSINESS~

Divanti
Oct 23, 2006, 08:10 AM
As a new player myself (beta was my first time ever) there's a little I can contribute. But I will say this:

I thought joining open parties was great, it saved you from actually having to find a party before going on a mission, you could jump right in. With that in mind, don't be a jerk. What everyone said above about hogging the loot is dead on. I don't know if most people realized they could change the loot settings or not, because most games I saw were set to "Give to finder." I always felt awkward because I didn't know if I was taking to much. And sometimes someone would rub me the wrong way by nabbing something I thought was clearly mine, i.e. the monster I just laid out dropped it. It was also very frustrating to enter a room filled with tough enemies, and half your party runs straight for the item boxes while you're fighting for your life.

Finally, for God's sake bring a good supply of your own freaking items! At least have a healthy supply of mates and whatever else you think you might need. I hated having to carry people because they were always in danger of dying and didn't have any recovery items...

Callous
Oct 23, 2006, 08:11 AM
On 2006-10-23 04:58, Magician wrote:

Also, don't start yelling at a force who doesn't play the support role as much as you'd like him or her to. It's a game, not a job. If someone's idea of fun is to be an aggressive force more than being a goodie two-shoes who does nothing but run around and heal people, let them. Just because you don't have a sword doesn't mean it's your duty to heal everyone all the time.

Obviously, in a situation where party survival is dependent on frequent healing, it would be a good idea for the force to do such healing, but god damnit the reason I almost never play a force is because of whiny hunters at 60% HP telling me when to do what instead of eating a freakin' mate.

DarkShadowX
Oct 23, 2006, 08:12 AM
On 2006-10-23 06:11, Callous wrote:

On 2006-10-23 04:58, Magician wrote:

Also, don't start yelling at a force who doesn't play the support role as much as you'd like him or her to. It's a game, not a job. If someone's idea of fun is to be an aggressive force more than being a goodie two-shoes who does nothing but run around and heal people, let them. Just because you don't have a sword doesn't mean it's your duty to heal everyone all the time.

Obviously, in a situation where party survival is dependent on frequent healing, it would be a good idea for the force to do such healing, but god damnit the reason I almost never play a force is because of whiny hunters at 60% HP telling me when to do what instead of eating a freakin' mate.

Thats so true, totally agree.

Kent
Oct 23, 2006, 08:15 AM
Do the tutorial. Rising Strike is free from that, and it's a great PA for a weapon everyone starts with.
While in the tutorial, get used to the control scheme. The strafe/lock-on button is your friend.
If you're a Hunter or Force, always carry a one-handed weapon (saber, dagger, wand) with a handgun (for Forces, Longbows are very nice, as well).
Listen to people who've played the game before, including the beta.
Always carry multiple weapons with you: Specifically, at least one for single enemies, one for multiple enemies, and one for ranged combat (because it is necessary, regardless of class). An example would be Saber + Handgun, and a Spear or Sword.
For Forces, you want a Longbow. It's really good for picking shots at bosses, because it's basically a slower-firing, Force-only rifle.
For basically everyone, Spears are your friends: Everyone can use them, and they're fast and powerful multi-target weapons.
Last but not least, play defensively. This will save you money on items, and stress on the Forces, and probably even your rank.

Midicronica
Oct 23, 2006, 08:19 AM
I had a bit of a problem with this while playing during the beta and this is towards X360 users..

If you join a party, please don't be loud and obnoxious on the mic by yelling and laying out fine lines of profanity. Be decent enough to respect the other players.

Oh, and also! (My friend had a problem with this.) If you synthesis fails on the first time, don't give up on it! I believe the percentage of success goes up each time you fail at it.

I'm so glad someone mentioned the thing about forces, I had so many people yell at me: "Macross, heal me! Hurry up!" (It was usually hunters who still had plenty of mates, but didn't want to use them.) It sucks when I have my longbow out, shooting enemies in the back of the formation and have to stop to heal because someones too stupid to heal themselves. Don't get me wrong, I know it's the job of the force to heal your party, but when it happens as often as I encountered it get annoying..

Kjeldor
Oct 23, 2006, 08:39 AM
Eh yea im a PSO vet and getting psu but yea heres some advice. Even if your a squad of 2of the best hunters and 2 of the best rangers in the effing game with 2 forces still prep the hell out of yourself with items. Yea Forces can heal but doesnt mean that is there only talent.

And yea it would help if you do a couple solo missions too. And if its available a good back up end of the line ace is a scape doll.

Sexy_Raine
Oct 23, 2006, 08:48 AM
On 2006-10-22 23:46, Sleet_v2 wrote:
dont suck.

You win this thread.

Bast
Oct 23, 2006, 08:53 AM
Just wanted to say thanks for creating the thread. In addition, thanks to all who posted with tips. I'm not new to PSO (played since the DC release and Game Cube), but I will certainly be new to PSU. I've mostly played offline, so there was a lot of great tips that helped. Thanks again!

Bleemo, thanks for the link to the sythesis guide. This I haven't seen.

twan757va
Oct 23, 2006, 09:00 AM
Dis is a gd tread im new to the this series. Man i cant wait till the gm comes out. Should i buy the strag guild for dis game. I know it was needed in FF11

Kjeldor
Oct 23, 2006, 09:04 AM
Im going to probally its good to have a good physical organised peice of reference.

Iduno
Oct 23, 2006, 09:10 AM
I got a tip from the beta.

You are not chuck norris, no matter how hard you think you are rushing into packs of enemys at way higer levels then you is just causeing trouble and there wont always be a force around to bail you out.

Pikku
Oct 23, 2006, 09:13 AM
Just find me online.
Ill teach you the basics.

twan757va
Oct 23, 2006, 09:28 AM
I have two more questions. What is a gd name for a human . And has an1 herd of the rides that will be feature on the online play. Im tired of chocobo's

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: twan757va on 2006-10-23 07:29 ]</font>

Magician
Oct 23, 2006, 09:44 AM
On 2006-10-23 07:28, twan757va wrote:
What is a gd name for a human .
<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: twan757va on 2006-10-23 07:29 ]</font>

*InsertNameHere*

Callous
Oct 23, 2006, 09:46 AM
Ralph. Go with Ralph.

DarkShadowX
Oct 23, 2006, 09:47 AM
I say go with the name Bud.

On 2006-10-23 07:47, Aaomi wrote:
How does experiance work while in a group?

I'm assuming that it works similar to PSO, where the once who kills the monster gets 100% of the experience, while those who hit it but didn't kill it get 75%.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DarkShadowX on 2006-10-23 07:51 ]</font>

Aaomi
Oct 23, 2006, 09:47 AM
How does experiance work while in a group?

Aaomi
Oct 23, 2006, 09:51 AM
On 2006-10-23 07:48, DarkShadowX wrote:

I'm assuming that it works similar to PSO, where the once who kills the monster gets 100% of the experience, while those who hit it but didn't kill it get 75%.

So, I'm guessing everyone in the group would need to hit/tag each monster to recieve experiance. Is "tagging" done only through dealing damage to the target or is it possible for one to tag though healing one who is attacking said enemy?

DarkShadowX
Oct 23, 2006, 09:54 AM
Well in PSO you had to 'attack' it, not the qoutations considering if a FO used Jellen/Zalure it would count and they get exp.

Kjeldor
Oct 23, 2006, 10:37 AM
Meh yeah and any rangers/forces usually tag around 80% of the mons in a room and kill around 40% of them together hunters usually kill the rest

DrizaSiegmund
Oct 23, 2006, 11:02 AM
On 2006-10-23 07:28, twan757va wrote:
I have two more questions. What is a gd name for a human .

Spend the rest of today picking out a name that you are recently passionate about, or maybe have been for the past few years.

AnnabellaRenee87
Oct 23, 2006, 11:04 AM
READ EVERYTHING don't just go and sell EVERYTHING you THINK you dont NEED!!! thats usualy a big mistake for noobs

Cigaro
Oct 23, 2006, 11:12 AM
On 2006-10-23 04:48, Lovejuice wrote:
Be prepared to buy/find/synth/own more than one of the same weapon for use during lengthy missions to deal with PP issues. Do not be a cheap ass with Photon Arts.

Is this how the game really is? You have to spam your PAs all the time constantly? Then what's the Cigaroing point of the rest of the combo hits?

That's Cigaroing stupid.

Cut it out with the "colorful" language. -A2K

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: A2K on 2006-10-23 09:24 ]</font>

Ryoten
Oct 23, 2006, 11:40 AM
Be helpful toward other players
Share when the time comes
Be the best out there for other players can join you witin mission or to hang around.

Trinitystar
Oct 23, 2006, 12:57 PM
On 2006-10-23 09:40, Ryoten wrote:
Be the best out there for other players can join you witin mission or to hang around.

!st I like to Thank you all for this info, very helpful and Ryoten that cartoon is to funny http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Akaimizu
Oct 23, 2006, 01:00 PM
If you are a Force, it's highly recommended that, after getting through a mission, use that money to buy a wand, and then try to shoot for Barta as your next spell (You should have Foie, to start with).

JaiBlue
Oct 23, 2006, 01:27 PM
Eww wands! get it away from me.

Akaimizu
Oct 23, 2006, 01:40 PM
Well...that is... if you're a Force. You wouldn't pick it, if you weren't going to be chucking techniques around. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

EnixBelmont
Oct 23, 2006, 01:51 PM
Deega > Foie, IMO.

Some advice, don't accuse everyone that doesn't seem to die as being a hacker with infinite HP without being 100% sure. Same goes for PP.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: EnixBelmont on 2006-10-23 12:05 ]</font>

Ryoten
Oct 23, 2006, 02:08 PM
On 2006-10-23 10:57, Trinitystar wrote:

On 2006-10-23 09:40, Ryoten wrote:

!st I like to Thank you all for this info, very helpful and Ryoten that cartoon is to funny http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Well thanks. But thats just the way I was treated when I played PSO online for the first time. Gave away my Soul Eater for something very rare. Forgot what it was though.

Kent
Oct 23, 2006, 02:10 PM
I came up with a few more useful tips:

Try to understand what every character class does - it'll benefit you when you have to work alongside them as well as when playing as them. If you don't plan on playing as a class, that doesn't mean you should be completely ignorant/oblivious as to its functions and capabilities.
Keep an open mind about what a class can and cannot do. There are all kinds of possibilities in the game: Don't be so narrow-minded that you think, for example, that Forces can only nuke and heal, or that Rangers can only shoot things.
If you're going to use any language to communicate, be sure to at least put some honest and serious effort into making your speech comprehensible (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/comprehensible).
It's perfectly understandable and natural to want to retreat if you've taken a heavy hit to your HP. However, it is not wise to run away from the Force if they're trying to heal you. If anything, run toward them.
Learn to make your PP last, but at the same time, don't shy away from using it at all. Longer missions usually have at least one Photon Cube in them, for you to recharge without having to leave the mission area.
While Bullet PAs are indeed useful, you may wish to remove the element from a weapon at times. This goes especially if you're a Force or Hunter, and don't have the ATA of a Ranger: Bullets tend to cut off almost half of your ATA at low levels, and closer to 40% or less later on. For classes other than Ranger, you're probably aiming to do damage/tag enemies, instead of status effects; odds are, though, you'll be able to put a Bullet on a Handgun as a Hunter, and still be able to hit enemies the majority of the time (and, not to mention, be able to inflict handy status effects while approaching the enemy).
Never attack an enemy head-on, unless it's with a ranged weapon during approach (such as with a Handgun), it's getting stunned by other players, or you know you can make it flinch before it attacks you. Otherwise, you're almost always safest while attacking an enemy's side.
Also on that note: Some enemies do have different attacks they can do from different sides. Most quadrupedal enemies can "buck" and attack people behind them.

Akaimizu
Oct 23, 2006, 02:12 PM
On 2006-10-23 11:51, EnixBelmont wrote:
Deega > Foie, IMO.
<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: EnixBelmont on 2006-10-23 12:05 ]</font>

Deega is, but I think Foie comes free, in some cases. Like when picking a Newman and starting off as a Force. I'd go Barta first, and then think about picking the earth stuff. However, at first, aiming the Rocks is a pain since you'll whiff a lot trying to hit certain monsters that move out of the way.

Barta is technically the cheapest and most useful starting multi-monster hitting spell.

Kent
Oct 23, 2006, 02:18 PM
On 2006-10-23 12:12, Akaimizu wrote:

On 2006-10-23 11:51, EnixBelmont wrote:
Deega > Foie, IMO.

Deega is, but I think Foie comes free, in some cases. Like when picking a Newman and starting off as a Force. I'd go Barta first, and then think about picking the earth stuff. However, at first, aiming the Rocks is a pain since you'll whiff a lot trying to hit certain monsters that move out of the way.

Barta is technically the cheapest and most useful starting multi-monster hitting spell.

The easiest way to aim Diga (official english name), is to treat your wand/rod as if it were a club. Run up behind an enemy (or to the side), and cast Diga at where they'll be in about a second, at point-blank range. Assuming you're in a party when you do this, and it has Hunters/Rangers in it, you should be relatively safe, as long as you don't get directly in the enemy's attack path.

DangerMuse
Oct 23, 2006, 02:20 PM
The usual MMOG rules are probrably a safe bet.

- Don't beg
- Don't be a (elitist) prick
- Try and have fun with the game. (These early days in the game will probrably be the best)

Kent
Oct 23, 2006, 02:23 PM
On 2006-10-23 12:20, DangerMuse wrote:
The usual MMOG rules are probrably a safe bet.

- Don't beg
- Don't be a (elitist) prick
- Try and have fun with the game. (These early days in the game will probrably be the best)

...This is actually some of the better advice in the thread here. Some MMO guidelines still apply, despite this not being one; but really, they're guidelines for any sort of online game.

Wheatpenny
Oct 23, 2006, 02:26 PM
My advice..Don't be afraid to ask questions(just not in combat).
Remember its just a game,have fun.
Bring Nachos.
And don't let them rappys get away they got my wallet.
And practice and get your style down.

Akaimizu
Oct 23, 2006, 02:29 PM
On 2006-10-23 12:18, Kent wrote:
The easiest way to aim Diga (official english name), is to treat your wand/rod as if it were a club. Run up behind an enemy (or to the side), and cast Diga at where they'll be in about a second, at point-blank range. Assuming you're in a party when you do this, and it has Hunters/Rangers in it, you should be relatively safe, as long as you don't get directly in the enemy's attack path.

That works. Though it does, at least at first, show the differences between the Foie and Deega, at those levels. In general, Foie works better for novices than Deega as it's the safer of the two spells to start off with. But for those who are a little more practiced and better for staying out of trouble, the early Deega will do better damage for you. It's just not as easy to spam from the rear lines and keep hitting like Foie is. But once the Deega gets up there, (like level 11+) then it hits a lot better.

JTPK90
Oct 23, 2006, 02:36 PM
1. Forces are your friends...don't yell at them...don't beg for stat boosts...no force like the guy who scream for s/d(don't remember the new names ones yet!)
2. The more weapons the better....always sell useless weapons but make sure you have a long range weapon to attack with if you a hunter, and make sure you have a melee weapon if your a ranger(remember rangers have more acc. so they can can worry less about not hitting combos!)
3.A cane of every color-the more canes the better...plus in PSU you get a 4% boost of every pair of spell you have that are the same type(foie, or zonde...)also set your canes in a certain order...make a cane with healing ability easy to get to from anywhere on your pallete...
4.No Loot Hogging!
5.Xbox 360 users can mute other peoples voices but dont make us do it....just shut up already!
6.When you start lvl up one character signifigantly before making a new one...example I am gonna make a cast ranger or newman force first day...but I will not make the other one untill I have pleanty of weapons and some starting cast to help him out...you don't wanna look like a newbie after the game has been out for months cause you didn't give your new characters a little head start!
7.PSU Pedia(www.psupedia.org) is your best friend until pso-world comes out with more info...
8.Mags in PSO are like PM in PSU...feed them often and it will greatly help you...for instance...you find a weapon board...you make a weapon with a no stat PM...weapon is completly average...make it with a high lvl PM then your simple little PM should make a much better weapon...and for almost NOTHING!
9.PM's gain stats based on what you give them...PSUPEDIA.ORG has a chart of what items raise what stats...but the higher the stars of the item your feeding to your PM the more it will raise its stats.
10. Do the first mission to lvl up your Photon Arts...yup the more you do that special sword move or use that spell the more it lvls and the first mission is a great place to get a feel for the controls...lvl at lower lvls and you can start to stock on synthesis items...also about synthesis...the best weapons in the game can be made through synthesis...so make sure that you feed your PM well
11. Decide what to feed your PM when you make your character...if you wanna be a force but you also wanna use melee weapons make a PM that makes very good melee weapons if your friend will make force weapons for you....then if you or he decides to make a hunter you can make him plenty of weapons to start off with(or sell for cash!)
12.Don't spam, yell, argue, fight, use excessive profanity, annoying guesters(sp)(example using the dancing too much)
13.Open rooms are your right to enter but asking if they mind if you join won't hurt your chances...
14.Don't steal exp...if you want all the exp then do a solo run...don't expect your friends to help you get all the exp.
15.Don't focus on upgrading only one aspect of you character...example don't upgrade your weapons but forget to focus on your armor...or don't worry about synthesis so much that you feed your mag all your healing items(since nobody but forces can use resta now....)
16. And last but not least, it wouldn't kill you to read up on the character diffrences and expert classes to decide on what you want your character to become. Example do you like being a force but wish you could use a weapon also...then find out what class would help you do this the most profieciently(forteteckers are best spellcasters in the game but you could also become a wartecker that can use a good amount of weapons but still cast very well)also remember that you could use certain classes to help you become a more balanced character...become a force cast...forces have lower att,acc,def,some have less eva, and hp...but casts naturally have second best att,best acc,def,evp,and hp...while forces have good tp and mind and cast dont have good of either of those. So if you want a character that has good attack but decient spells will being able to take a hit then this might be an option for you...WARNING the character type I just described(FOcast)is a very difficult character to make and is not recommended until you can easily use a hunter and a force but then again why listen to me!

Bleemo
Oct 23, 2006, 02:39 PM
On 2006-10-23 12:36, JTPK90 wrote:
1. Forces are your friends...don't yell at them...don't beg for stat boosts...no force like the guy who scream for s/d(don't remember the new names ones yet!)
2. The more weapons the better....always sell useless weapons but make sure you have a long range weapon to attack with if you a hunter, and make sure you have a melee weapon if your a ranger(remember rangers have more acc. so they can can worry less about not hitting combos!)
3.A cane of every color-the more canes the better...plus in PSU you get a 4% boost of every pair of spell you have that are the same type(foie, or zonde...)also set your canes in a certain order...make a cane with healing ability easy to get to from anywhere on your pallete...
4.No Loot Hogging!
5.Xbox 360 users can mute other peoples voices but dont make us do it....just shut up already!
6.When you start lvl up one character signifigantly before making a new one...example I am gonna make a cast ranger or newman force first day...but I will not make the other one untill I have pleanty of weapons and some starting cast to help him out...you don't wanna look like a newbie after the game has been out for months cause you didn't give your new characters a little head start!
7.PSU Pedia(www.psupedia.org) is your best friend until pso-world comes out with more info...
8.Mags in PSO are like PM in PSU...feed them often and it will greatly help you...for instance...you find a weapon board...you make a weapon with a no stat PM...weapon is completly average...make it with a high lvl PM then your simple little PM should make a much better weapon...and for almost NOTHING!
9.PM's gain stats based on what you give them...PSUPEDIA.ORG has a chart of what items raise what stats...but the higher the stars of the item your feeding to your PM the more it will raise its stats.
10. Do the first mission to lvl up your Photon Arts...yup the more you do that special sword move or use that spell the more it lvls and the first mission is a great place to get a feel for the controls...lvl at lower lvls and you can start to stock on synthesis items...also about synthesis...the best weapons in the game can be made through synthesis...so make sure that you feed your PM well
11. Decide what to feed your PM when you make your character...if you wanna be a force but you also wanna use melee weapons make a PM that makes very good melee weapons if your friend will make force weapons for you....then if you or he decides to make a hunter you can make him plenty of weapons to start off with(or sell for cash!)
12.Don't spam, yell, argue, fight, use excessive profanity, annoying guesters(sp)(example using the dancing too much)
13.Open rooms are your right to enter but asking if they mind if you join won't hurt your chances...
14.Don't steal exp...if you want all the exp then do a solo run...don't expect your friends to help you get all the exp.
15.Don't focus on upgrading only one aspect of you character...example don't upgrade your weapons but forget to focus on your armor...or don't worry about synthesis so much that you feed your mag all your healing items(since nobody but forces can use resta now....)
16. And last but not least, it wouldn't kill you to read up on the character diffrences and expert classes to decide on what you want your character to become. Example do you like being a force but wish you could use a weapon also...then find out what class would help you do this the most profieciently(forteteckers are best spellcasters in the game but you could also become a wartecker that can use a good amount of weapons but still cast very well)also remember that you could use certain classes to help you become a more balanced character...become a force cast...forces have lower att,acc,def,some have less eva, and hp...but casts naturally have second best att,best acc,def,evp,and hp...while forces have good tp and mind and cast dont have good of either of those. So if you want a character that has good attack but decient spells will being able to take a hit then this might be an option for you...WARNING the character type I just described(FOcast)is a very difficult character to make and is not recommended until you can easily use a hunter and a force but then again why listen to me!

* Use the Enter key located on the far right of your keyboard, and on the bottom right of your number pad to create vertical spaces between sentences.

Ryoga4523
Oct 23, 2006, 03:23 PM
One thing that was really helpful for me back on PSO was to be very generous to other ppl. If I just found a rifle or had an old rifle that I planned on selling, give it to a guy that is a little lower, or if you see a newb player who is the same level as you and still has a crappy weapon. If you are a significant higher level than someone else, feel free to help them out by giving them meseta or whatever. Also, give your Guild Card (or Partner Card) to people you like to play with. So you will not have to randomly join a room all the time. Last but not least, have fun playing this game, and do not let it control your life... Unfortunately this game is highly addictive and I do not even know how well I will do. I want to play the game so badly, but I do not want it to piss my wife off at the same time http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

EvolXx
Oct 23, 2006, 03:32 PM
Heres a good advice NO HACKING!

Iduno
Oct 23, 2006, 03:42 PM
Some more advice

Learn to run away, a lot of deaths can be avoided by running away and waiting for backup when a situation gets out of a hand.

If you split up try and get a force per group of players

If you are a force resta should be the 1st spell you buy as everyone loves a healer, you can save people from dieing to keep your s rank for the mission, people are more likely to use their moon atomisers on someone who can help keep them alive and its always better to be fighting with a party with full health then fighting with more attack spells and party members who are half dead

Always have a melle weapon no matter what your class as running out of photon and having no other weapons is never very enjoyable

Go for enemys 1st THEN the item containers

If you are a ranger there is no need to rush at the enemy as your rifle has some decent range on it

Rina
Oct 23, 2006, 03:50 PM
Thats it! This topic has inspired me to draw a little comic about how Force get nagged at to heal :3 I shall be done in a bit XD check my fanart thread later. lol.

Oh and advice.. hm, I'd say the biggest would be treat others how you want to be treated, and remember thoes characters you're playing with ARE people. Don't forget that.

Saigan
Oct 23, 2006, 04:50 PM
Be polite, be polite be polite be polite be polite.

No one wants to play with rude people.

Itoshi
Oct 23, 2006, 04:55 PM
I got a couple for beast users.

1. Listen to your party. You'l have the best time when you are wokring together as a team! When you are asked to do a Nanoblast, it may be a good idea to use it. Most of the time for me It was a life or death sitiuation for my party, and I ended up saving their asses!

2. Save your money. Don't waste it, cause more photon arts(Longbow Photon arts, grenade photon arts. ext) Are a hefty amount of meseta. Also A Ranks are pretty expensive. If you can hunt and/or Synthesize a item, do it. And look for the cheapest price.

3. Be the tank! Help your party out by covering for them. Its a great gift, and in return hopefully they'll heal you, and your Nanablast will come quicker, meaning you can clear a room faster or kill a boss in uber time.

4. Pick a nanobalst the completments your play style. If you want to move fast, pick yellow. I wouldn't care about how gay it looks.

And Another!

5. Work on your play style. This game is actually pretty cool in how you can play. Basically some people go all out, but I like doing the Zelda thing and slowly killing a monster but I'm taking any damage from it. I'm a twin dagger character, racking up a hell of a lot of damage from doing a regualr combo, and chaining about 3 waves of photon arts. 25-hit combo people! But my friend is a ranger, dual handguns. He doesn't unload a whole clip at once. He strafes around, gets them in the back. If he freezes them, he switches to melee mode to finish the job. My secondary character a RAcast, gets all the monsters together, freezes them with a nice Barta shotgun blast, and the my other friend, a HUcast, comes running through with a nice A-rank sword. He may get more experience, but we cleared that mission 1 min faster than if we hadn't worked together as a team.

There you go, hope these help.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Itoshi on 2006-10-23 15:02 ]</font>

P_C_A
Oct 23, 2006, 05:33 PM
oh yay, someone from VA Beach who's played FFXI!(twan757va)

anyway, my advice is to just be nice to people as you would be in real life. Being nice can give others a good impression of yourself, which will probably reward you in the end. Also, please don't be a beggar, it makes people angry(makes me angry, at least...).

see y'all in game soon.

Gothica
Jan 5, 2007, 12:22 PM
On 2006-10-22 23:59, Kyro_Ryuu wrote:
Great idea for a post. Unfortunatly I cant help contribute to the information since I am one of those new players, but I can guarentee I will be keeping tabs on this post. Actually I am not only new to PSU, but I am new to the whole Phantasy Star series. I want to say thank you to everyone who contributes cause I am sure I will be using the information. ^_^

Me too. :3

lildeezy
Jan 5, 2007, 12:31 PM
KICK SOME A$$

ycavan
Jan 5, 2007, 12:43 PM
1. be nice -- always a good 'un. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif
2. say "Hi" to new ppl in the party, it takes 2 seconds. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif
3. Keep PSO-World items database up to figure out your "best" weapon at the time and the appropriate NPC price, then search player shops for the "best" price -- it takes time, but it's worth it
4. If you can heal and ppl in the party are hurting, rush over and HEAL -- keeping party alive is generally the polite thing to do
5. Grind your weapons in a SMART manner... always grind, at least, 2 weapons of the same kind... alternate, so you don't destroy your ONLY weapon. ie, you have 3 wands, grind 'em 1 after another... keep going until you are down to 1 wand or you have at least 5 grind levels per weapon. If you don't "need" the others, you can continue to grind until you are down to 1 weapon from that set. I generally keep around 6/7 level grinded weapons.
6. Feed your PM -- the higher the star (*), the more your PM gets out of eating... after having eaten 100 items, your PM needs 12 hours to digest, so plan your 100th feeding accordingly... ie, around 8PM, so you sleep through most of the time. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif)

I'm sure there are more, but these are just off the top of my head.

Banert
Jan 5, 2007, 03:06 PM
1) Hunters, learn your weapons and their PA's, and when to use them! If your in a party with a force, it might not be the best idea to whip out your single dagger and send a mob flying in every which way. Force's can deal with the mobs better than you can going Rambo. If you DO want to take out multiple enemies as a hunter, use a sword or spear, that's what they're for. This goes the other way too though. I don't care if you ARE Cloud, don't use a sword on a single enemy, whip out a saber, claw or dagger for that lone bugger. To recap: Daggers are for single enemies or soloing (or group if theres no magic artillery), swords are for groups (not one pannon running away from you).

2) Save your money. It is a good idea to keep most of it in storage and only carry 5k or so on you. This will prevent you from going on a spending spree and buying a spur-of-the-moment shirt you'll only wear once.

3) Thank your forces. It's always nice to thank the people who are saving your asses at the end of the day. I'm not saying every time they cast resta, stop and thank them (that'll lead to you getting whacked by a Vahra, and them having to heal you again, and there you have an endless loop). At the end of a mission though, thank those that are doing a good job, or tip them. Always nice to negate the cost of refilling your wands thanks to tips.

That's all I can think of right now.

Xtian913
Jan 5, 2007, 03:21 PM
Im sure this has been mentioned earlier but for the 360 players - please DO NOT yell into the mics! Its right next to you mouth, we can hear you just fine!

Oh, and I will stress along with everyone else who has said it, Forces are Forces - not the party's healing b*tch. Just because we have the ability to heal you doesn't mean I shouldn't be able to play offensively while you pop a mate or two.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Xtian913 on 2007-01-05 12:25 ]</font>

Stixx
Jan 5, 2007, 03:25 PM
Don't get angry when people die. It's just a game and the 12 mission points you lose when someone dies isn't THAT big a deal. Everyone is human and prone to death http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Also, I recommend not buying a new weapon until you can afford the PA for it. I bought a spear as soon as I could afford it, but I did more damage with my saber/handgun combo with Rising Strike until I could afford the spear Dus Daggas.

Q_Anon
Jan 5, 2007, 04:48 PM
All I have to say is...

If you don't already have friends on the game when you start play in open games and make some, playing with friends makes the game at least twice as enjoyable as random people.

Oh, and don't buy meseta with real money.

nefarious
Jan 5, 2007, 05:19 PM
I take no credit for other people's suggestions, this is just a slightly formated and easier to read compilation of alot of the above advice/posts that I found useful.

Get decent armor, and make sure you don't die!

Try to learn the map patterns, so you won't need to unnecessarily miss monsters.

Try to get a personal shop. When you do manage to get one, you could sell stuff you found for a lot more than you previously could, since NPCs aren't willing to pay much at all.

Don't beg for things

Do the Tutorial with all your characters.

Don't bother buying the 800 meseta weapon; you will outgrow it far to quickly.

It is unlikely that you will be able to handle an area with level 15+ monsters at level 7, though at level 4 you may be able to handle level 10+ monsters.

By using your storage bin, you can transfer items between your own characters. You can use this to your advantage by constantly creating new characters for different clothes, or taking their starter items and using them to feed your Partner Machine.

Try to be as friendly and welcoming as you can. Don't freak out when people die, mission rewards aren't worth losing friends over

Learn monster elements and their weakness. For hunters, craft or buy from players, weapons that are elementally strong towards the enemies you fight, you'll do a lot more damage than just buying the strongest neutral weapon you can find

Don't sell scape dolls to the vendor

Don't melee the dragons feet. He'll step on you

Hunters don't ignore handguns. Rangers dont ignore melee weapons. There are enemies that take half damage from both types, and it sucks when you don't have a backup weapon for them

Don't suck.

Don't abandon team mates just to open a couple of boxes/crates.

Keep and use ALL your boards....it will save you money!

At early levels, solo the Guardians Colony "C" missions to get S-rank, giving you more money and some mission points for your level, as well as a whole slump of items for sythesizing.

When you join a party, be polite and say hi to your comrades!

Take the time to read through this synthesis guide. (http://www.pso-world.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=2433) To that note, take the time to learn about synthesis in general. Find out which item types you want to synthesize and what materials they would require, so you know which synthesis materials you should and shouldn't sell for meseta.

Visit psupedia.org (http://www.psupedia.org/index.php?title=Main_Page) for any information you need on PSU before posting your questions on these forums.

You can lock your own games by setting a numbered password. The option will be available to you in the list before starting a new mission. Locking games will prevent any unwanted outsiders from joining your game.

Don't be a loot whore. Even if the game's loot setting was set for free for all, count the number of items you've been picking up. Always open crates after the room has been cleared of monsters. Try to make it fair for everyone and you will earn respect.

Another option instead of this is just to make sure your games are always set to one of the two Random looting schemes, and always set your games to one of them. That way, it doesn't matter who picks up what, and no one can be a loot whore.

Remember, even if someone is mean at the time, no-one is naturally a bad person (man i wish i realised this during other mmos).

Also if you're a Force:
and you buy stat increasing magic (Agtal, Zotial etc)
give that spell some extra usefullness by buying a unit for your armour that also does what the spell does, for a very nice boost.
(eg. zotial = evasion up, so why not buy an evasion up unit :>

Join random parties, and when you get there, don't be an ass to people. If you leave a game open, don't be an ass to random people who join.

Do your part for the community, don't spam towns with dancing & sexual innuendo.

No, you're NOT all knowing about the game -- At this point, nobody is. Having studied or not, don't be affraid to ask others questions!

Learn to love lock on and strafing, no matter what job you choose you'll be doing a lot of both. And disregard the post about not joining random parties, it's HOW you actually meet people in PSU (and was how I met some really great people in PSO).

Let's see, proper etiquette, ask before giving guild cards, don't give said cards during battle (it's annoying when you die because someone just HAD to become friends with you during an ambush), always greet when entering a party. Other than that I think previous posts have stated it well.

Remember to eat, drink, and sleep, preferably at regular intervals. MMORPG does not trump survival (unfortunately). Plus what better way to piss off your team than to pass out because you've been going for 2 days straight without so much as a potty break.

Don't be one of those annoying hosts that kicks people from the game for no good reason when they try to join just because you can't be bothered to set a password. Be kind to other players, and don't kick them unless they're being truly disruptive.

If you only accept players in a certain level range, then edit your comment to show that range. Edit comment is a choice near setting password and item distribution.

Always check the levels of the characters in the party before you join.

Do a couple of solos to get the hang of the controls without being a burden to others.

Get decent armor? It's way too expensive, so don't rush into that. Focus on getting the controls right, collecting materials, and forging items from the boards you will no doubt be picking up while soloing.

Resta range is smaller than ever. Be prepared to get closer to a Force if you are in need of healing. Nor should you stress if a Force isn't getting to you quick enough. Cast times are longer and there is generally more land to traverse now. They are also much weaker DFP/HP wise and may need to take in to account their own safety.

I agree with the comment about grabbing an image of your character's modifications at creation. I can not count the number of times I would create a character on the JP version, and get an Error 38 (timeout) when I then finalise my decision and enter the game. All my 'creating' would be lost. Quite annoying (of course this may not happen on the US/PAL version..). On the PC, this means whacking the "Print Screen" key.

Please bring Scape Dolls with you if you have them spare. A ressurection (or rather, death avoidance) through the use of a Scape does not affect mission rank.

Remember to check out the different manufacturers of weapons (by going to the other planets) before making your decision to purchase something new in the event that you are unsure. You may be able to find something that better fits your needs (more ATP, more PP, more ATA etc).

THE SHOP TO BUY HATS, CHANGE HAIRSTYLE, CHANGE SKIN TONE, AND GET A NANOBLAST TATTOO IS ON THE 3F OF GUARDIANS COLONY - it has a purple door and is called "Lumilass" (the amount of times this question has come up causes great hilarity!)

Don't yell at the forces, asking them to heal you, they know their job.

Early on, if you're a hunter, don't destroy every enemy asap. Let the rangers and forces tag.

Hunters, carry plenty of heal items just in case forces can't get to you in time.

Be prepared to learn. There are various resources - this site, PSUPedia, the official forums, and PSUniverse.net are the major ones. If you can read Japanese check out the JP PSU wiki and other sites you can find. If you can't, babelfish the site or something. You can still learn a few things.

Be prepared to fail. No-one is a master from day 1.

Be prepared to take advice, and use it. You won't get better otherwise.

Be prepared to experiment and have fun, 'tis a game after all. Although we all know that INTERNET is SERIOUS BUSINESS~

Try to understand what every character class does - it'll benefit you when you have to work alongside them as well as when playing as them. If you don't plan on playing as a class, that doesn't mean you should be completely ignorant/oblivious as to its functions and capabilities.

Keep an open mind about what a class can and cannot do. There are all kinds of possibilities in the game: Don't be so narrow-minded that you think, for example, that Forces can only nuke and heal, or that Rangers can only shoot things.

If you're going to use any language to communicate, be sure to at least put some honest and serious effort into making your speech comprehensible.

It's perfectly understandable and natural to want to retreat if you've taken a heavy hit to your HP. However, it is not wise to run away from the Force if they're trying to heal you. If anything, run toward them.

Learn to make your PP last, but at the same time, don't shy away from using it at all. Longer missions usually have at least one Photon Cube in them, for you to recharge without having to leave the mission area.

While Bullet PAs are indeed useful, you may wish to remove the element from a weapon at times. This goes especially if you're a Force or Hunter, and don't have the ATA of a Ranger: Bullets tend to cut off almost half of your ATA at low levels, and closer to 40% or less later on. For classes other than Ranger, you're probably aiming to do damage/tag enemies, instead of status effects; odds are, though, you'll be able to put a Bullet on a Handgun as a Hunter, and still be able to hit enemies the majority of the time (and, not to mention, be able to inflict handy status effects while approaching the enemy).

Never attack an enemy head-on, unless it's with a ranged weapon during approach (such as with a Handgun), it's getting stunned by other players, or you know you can make it flinch before it attacks you. Otherwise, you're almost always safest while attacking an enemy's side.

Also on that note: Some enemies do have different attacks they can do from different sides. Most quadrupedal enemies can "buck" and attack people behind them.

And some of my own.

Experiment on your own, there is no pre-canned fomula to be "good".

Above all have fun.

But find what works for you... this isn't work.

There's not one "right" way.

So find your own way.

All advice, is just that, advice. It's not law, you're not required to play a certain way. And it's everyone's choice to like or dislike how you play, and act accordingly.

Just like it's your choice to join, leave, come back, or blacklist, anyone and everyone, if you like or dislike them, or how they play.

BagofChaos
Jan 5, 2007, 05:19 PM
Call xbox tech support and tell them to cancel any changing of your account information, due to NeoN and the other nooblets on the server.
Open a shop on a level 1 character with a craptacular mag, or else people will steal stuff from your good characters.
PSU takes longer to level up than the old PSO.

And thats about all i have to say. Good luck.

nefarious
Jan 5, 2007, 05:24 PM
P.s.

Some of your (you peoples) formatting ... sucks.

Inside of a list...
[ list ]
Bullet Your Text.
[ * ] Bullet Your Text.
[ /list ]
Just remove the spaces.

Learn it.
Live it.
Love it.
Use it.

P.p.s.

Most of decent suggestions/advice is in my above post. #100.

Read/skim it before flooding the thread with the same advice that's already been posted.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: nefarious on 2007-01-05 14:25 ]</font>

CyarVictor
Jan 5, 2007, 05:24 PM
Don't beg, don't loot.

Most of us are nice people, and if you're in a party, hopefully most of us can help you if you have a question or what not.

Don't trade through trade windows.

Don't drop an item on the ground because someone wants to see what it would look like on the floor(I know a dude who dropped a 7* ax because some dude was curious, got booted, and lost the ax. i laughed at him because that is an obvious scam. only do that if you with trust worthy people.)

Use a mate when low on hp, don't rely on the healer because usually you will die if you don't use a mate.

Buy healing items from player shops, most sell em for dirt cheap.

Just have fun!!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: CyarVictor on 2007-01-05 14:31 ]</font>

Dre_o
Jan 5, 2007, 05:26 PM
*cracks knuckles, rolls up sleeves*

Prepare yourself!!
-Once you have become accostomed to the way the game works, prepare your arsenal. This is not PSO. Two weapons won't cut it. Heck, three weapons probably won't work.
-With these multiple weapons, try and have them:
1) Be different elements (Hunter)
2) Have different elemental bullets (Ranger)
3) Allow the weapons to have same element techs, thus they get a power bonus (Force)

-Perhaps most important is always have a backup. Every class can use a pistol and a saber, so have these things in your inventory (if not on your pallete.)

Also, don't talk an idiot. Example: "Hey doods!!!!11!! N E 1 Want 2 gib me $$$????"

Ok, so ends part 1

Part 2
You take the ugly one! No you take the ugly one! Which one's the ugly one?

-Remember, this game is about teamwork. Without unity, you can instantly find yourself in the middle of a bad place with some really bad dudes around.
-Hunters need to kill things, this is true, but it is also imperitive that they do it smartly. Running into a 12+ group of S rank enemies alone is NOT SMART. Fight with your head as well as your sword.
-Rangers must be aware of this fact: IF YOU SHOOT SOMETHING, CHANCES ARE IT WILL MAKE A B-LINE TOWARDS YOU.
-Forces must do what Forces do, cast elemental techs to hurt the enemies. Forces DO NOT have to do your bidding. Example: "OMG NOOB MAGE!!!11!!! HEAL ME NOW!!!!11!!!!"

Oh, one more thing: If anyone has a character at 30+, chances are they know EXACTLY what they are doing, thus there is no grounds to call them a novice.

nefarious
Jan 5, 2007, 05:27 PM
I'll (try) to periodically recomplile new/current posts into the pre-existing compilation I did...

Just please ffs format your posts or I'll probably just skip your post if it's too much of a pain.

CyarVictor
Jan 5, 2007, 05:42 PM
Buy a shop when you can afford to do so, helps bring home the mesetas

Don't over price items, check NPC and Player Shops for prices

An Ommagauge overhead can spell disater if you are underneath him

Ask to trade Partner Cards, don't just hand them out like candy

There is no one ultimate weapon out there, find a weapon you like and use it.

Take time to enjoy the game. It's fun and relaxing to chill with your party/friends and chat, especially at the Hot Springs or Cafe.

Attack the enemies first, then attack the barrel, haystack, barrel under the haystack, etc

Useful to set item distribustion for both item types to In Order or Random when with a party.

Good to carry a few scape dolls when you have the dough, get them from player shops

If you don't have any scape dolls, not the end of the world.

if you are in a bad party/people you don't like, you can always leave party and find another one.

PsyX
Jan 5, 2007, 05:42 PM
Hmm...I tried not to repeat any, sorry if I did.

Please don't type completely in caps...it's annoying and makes it less readable.

Buy equipment/armour/healing items, hell, anything and everything you need from player shops. Most of the time said items will be cheaper than in NPC shops, and weapons you buy may have been grinded (which is incredibly useful). At the end of the day, you get to save money and you make someone else happy as they make some money. What's the point of giving meseta back to the computer, hm? =]

Free source of monomates - Create new characters and use the common box. Every new created character comes with 5 mono's, so in about 2 or so minutes you can get 20 free mono's. Woot! (Also, this has been mentioned, but you can use the clothes/parts/weapons/armour on created characters to feed your PM.)

Finally, and I think this is important...read and follow (at least read) EVERY point in the big list that nefarious is keeping updated, it's free advice that makes your gaming experience much more enjoyable, plus everyone won't hate you and want to kick you. What could be worse? ^_^

Can't think of anymore, other than what's been said and the usual "be polite, play nice...have fun!"

Cav
Jan 5, 2007, 06:06 PM
Make sure you come here and make a new topic for every little question you have, caps title also helps people to notice and help you.

BloodDragoon
Jan 5, 2007, 07:35 PM
1. Do listen to sound advice from experienced players.
2. Don't listen to advice from experienced jackasses.
3. Do save scapedolls for when you need them.
4. Don't feed scapedolls to your PM or sell them to NPC's.
5. Do learn how to dodge effectively and learn to avoid damage when possible.
6. Don't block every hit with your face. That only works for PLD's in FFXI. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif
7. Do learn how to manage your finances and work hard to earn your money in game so those expensive purchases feel more like an accomplishment you can take pride in.
8. Don't stand around in lobbies for hours on end begging people for free money and items.
9. Do learn how to use teamwork to complete missions on higher difficulties.
10. Don't turn your back on Maya... >.>
11. Do sell items in your player shop BELOW the NPC prices.
12. Don't sell items in your shop not available from NPC's for max meseta.
13. Do learn from your mistakes during a mission.
14. Don't expect people to always pay for your mistakes during a mission.
15. Do make sure to carry healing items and use them when needed.
16. Don't EVER eat anything cooked by Maya Shidow... >.>

Ah hell with it, I'm already bored. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

MayLee
Jan 5, 2007, 09:46 PM
Make sure to make as many good friends as possible, those friends are likely to give you "Some" help when you need it.

Try to be as nice as possible, it can land you a boot and no Mission Points.

It's okay to ask questions, that's how you learn. So ask as many questions as you like..But don't do it too much.

Save your money, it's completely worth it when you find something you like.

Don't blow your earnings on clothes all the time, hehe..take it from me you guys. >_>

If you are using a keyboard, be as literate as possible, I don't understand chatspeak.

Sometimes soloing can be good for your wallet and invenmtory. Remember to bring your NPCs along with you, beleive it or not. They CAN be helpful at times.

Remember to do a tutorial when you wstart off, you level up and get a free PA.

BloodDragoon
Jan 5, 2007, 10:39 PM
Here's a tip... Don't solo Grove of Fanatic's C as a 15/3 Ranger with nothing but shock rifles...

Damn boss took FOREVER to kill...

Ryno
Jan 5, 2007, 10:43 PM
On 2006-10-22 23:24, ProfessorZ wrote:
Don't beg for things

lol.. i remember that happend to me on pso .. a person begging for rares..

Vyslain
Jan 5, 2007, 10:44 PM
Adana Deghana takes double damage when you shoot the cockpit area if that helps any. o-o

This is a tip that works in generally any MMORPG: Don't go rambo on some freaky high level monster unless you're willing to embarass yourself. I've been down that road in many MMORPGs. *Glances back at his MapleStory days as a cleric trying to fight Tauromacis at level 45 solo*

MayLee
Jan 5, 2007, 10:45 PM
Yeah, I was in Moatoob doing a Mission by myself when all a sudden some level 5 guy comes and and asks if he can have my weapons. -_-

BloodDragoon
Jan 5, 2007, 11:17 PM
On 2007-01-05 19:44, Vyslain wrote:
Adana Deghana takes double damage when you shoot the cockpit area if that helps any. o-o

This is a tip that works in generally any MMORPG: Don't go rambo on some freaky high level monster unless you're willing to embarass yourself. I've been down that road in many MMORPGs. *Glances back at his MapleStory days as a cleric trying to fight Tauromacis at level 45 solo*

No it was an endless merry go round of shooting it in the ass with said rifles. 3.5 rifles later he finally dies. XP

And what's wrong with attacking an high level monster solo? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

I remember attacking Jormungand solo in FFXI. When my warp scroll went off I had around 70 HP left out of 1400 or so. >.> But I lived! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Bumping into Bloodtear Baldurf at lv 10 tho... That didn't end well. XD

Vyslain
Jan 5, 2007, 11:20 PM
It's usually not that bad, but in MapleStory it's not smart since said monsters can slaughter you in a few hits. For instance, at level 45 my battlecleric/blood priest had around 600 HP. Tauromacis are level 82 monsters that can do around 700 damage to spellcasters with a lightning attack. Other classes take almost 1000 from it since they have no magic defense. I did kill a Tauromacis at level 40 though, I decided to be a telewhore and warp out of range when it casted the lightning, so I took it down. It dropped a set of throwing stars worth about 15,000,000 meru. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

DonRoyale
Jan 5, 2007, 11:21 PM
-Have one friend, and party with him and his friends. If he's a high level, that certainly helps =D

-Don't join a game if you barely meet its requirements. And if you're going to, bring scapes or tag for EXP.

-Don't die and then leave.

-If people make you leader, don't boot everyone/make fun of everyone.

-Study spawns. It helps.

Turbobrain
Jan 18, 2007, 01:33 PM
Great thread. I have played the Phantasy Star series ever since it was released. Oow, I loved PSO for the rares, the next lvl up and more.

PSU is definetly a bit more...... complicated. There is for sure a lot of help online.

Most ppl om this game are helpfull. There are a few'bad uns' though, like any cpmmunity. I am pretty much a noob myself on PSU. The best advice I can give is don't worry about asking questions. There are no stupid questions just stupid answers.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Turbobrain on 2007-01-18 10:51 ]</font>

jizaboz
Jan 18, 2007, 02:08 PM
Yeah I had a hard time sending a "simple mail" at first... couldn't figure out that I needed to hit backspace, not ESC in the menus choosing recipient. After I got up the guts to ask someone, they were happy to help and didn't give me a hard time for asking.

-Ryuki-
Jan 18, 2007, 04:15 PM
-Makes friends.
-Don't accept random trades/meseta/items from people. Chances are, they're hacked or duped, whatever.
-Don't complain about the little things.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RyukiZero on 2007-01-19 00:32 ]</font>

maoZedong
Jan 19, 2007, 12:51 AM
I wish I was cool and had online...I'll still use some of the tips when I play offline mode!

VanHalen
Jan 19, 2007, 02:13 AM
make new friends but keep the old one is silver and the other gold(well that part is for 360 users)

dont kick friends out of parties for dying or anyone for that matter it wont increase the rank you get at the end

make sure to be courteoues(cant spell. tired.) to people you never know it may pay off in the end

Slickk
Jan 19, 2007, 02:25 AM
why should i give them advice? i don't go around thinking i'm better than them. i give advice when asked. i'd advise them to keep a life. don't suck yourself into psu. go work out, maintain a stable job, get an education. more important things than going online bragging about your lvl, money, items, and sitting at home playing 24/7 cuz mommy and daddy pay for it you damn spoiled brats.

Koro
Jan 19, 2007, 03:10 AM
On 2007-01-18 23:25, Slickk wrote:
why should i give them advice? i don't go around thinking i'm better than them. i give advice when asked. i'd advise them to keep a life. don't suck yourself into psu. go work out, maintain a stable job, get an education. more important things than going online bragging about your lvl, money, items, and sitting at home playing 24/7 cuz mommy and daddy pay for it you damn spoiled brats.

I "lol" at people like you. I love your assumptions. Oh and also your ignorance stating that "mommy and daddy" bought them their game. The hell does it matter to you? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif Can i ask you something? Why do you hate life so much? haha.

First you state why you should give advice, in such a negative manner.. then you give advice anyway LOL. Quite pointless advice might I add. I mean use some common sense. What do you really think the OP meant? Advice to those who are new to the PSU community. How to deal with meeting new people around here.. Where to lvl up.. Meseta situations.. etc. Besides anyone who puts this game aside for some of the better things in life really do need help :3

Honestly, if any of you need help (in regards to PSU) just send me a PM here, and I'll be gladly to be of some assistance to you. And from there I'll give you some personal advice.

VanHalen
Jan 19, 2007, 03:13 AM

do you actually like this game?

oh and btw my mom and dad dont pay for this game i do cause i dont believe they should have to pay for something like this. it comes out of my own money

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VanHalen on 2007-01-19 00:18 ]</font>

Koro
Jan 19, 2007, 03:16 AM
On 2007-01-19 00:13, VanHalen wrote:

do you actually like this game?

lol, I'll take a long shot and say no.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Koro on 2007-01-19 00:17 ]</font>

majan
Jan 19, 2007, 01:10 PM
my advice is to stick to de ragan (plains overlord mission, planet parum) runs on C rank.

dont think your getting better value doing higher rank missions...it's this games famous little scam.speed runs of less difficult misisons are often much better for experience and money,and mission points for that matter.individually,they are crap,but if your able to get a nice party together and bang out a few of these puppies per hour,its much better htan a couple of tries at a B rank run,die once or twice,kill your rank,and spend entirely too much time doing it.

trust me. De ragan, plains overlord, on C rank. where its at.

Thrash777
Jan 19, 2007, 01:19 PM
Do everything in your power to get as much meseta as soon as possible and open a shop. Then reep the benefits. Got mine at Lv14.

ALWAYS search player shops first for the item you want, and know what the NPC prices are before buying something.

Get a good armor instead of a good weapon first. It's better to survive hits, than to spend an extra minute fighting.

Find a group of people to play with, that way, you can party some harder missions and earn better rewards faster, and gain exp on tougher enemies.

SolomonGrundy
Jan 19, 2007, 01:50 PM
for xbox 360:

Get a headset, or a keyboard, or both...making friends requires communication, and these tools allow you to do both quickly.

Take a few levels (5, or 10), to do the first mission "linear line" and learn some of the basics of the controller, and Photon Arts.

Save your money! Only buy a a very few items, money is scarce in this game, and does not get much better, even mid game (level 40-ish).

Hang out in popular uni's, and try to make friends. Accept any party invite, even if it's only for 1 run. Do your best to contribute to the mission, but remember, getting killed is looked down upon - if you are in danger of dying all the time, take step back, and just try to "tag."

Grow your PM, slowly but surely - set goals, like feeding him 5 items/day, or gaining 1 level every time you play. Growing your PM allows earlier synthing of items you will want, and when "she" hits 80, you have atough little buddy to hang out with, when no one is around to play with you.

Search for cheap weapon upgrades in the shops! Other more experienced folks will be selling all KINDS of items which will be very very inexpensive compared to synthing, or buying the same items yourself. This will be your best way of upgrading weapons and armor for at least 30 levels.

This is pretty important: Pick a class that is suitable for your race to start. I know, I know - you had your heart set on a Cast Forte Techer, but you are stacking the deck against yourself, in a game system you don't really understand. Not, all newmans have to be Forces, but they are more suited to classes with *some* kind of magical abiliy. Remember, if you want to play against type, you have 3 other character slots.

Finally, remember - it's a game. if there is any particular aspect that you do not enjoy, don't partake. There will always be folks who ONLY want to grind a particular area, or things like grinding which may not appeal to you. You have so many options in this game, it's mind boggling

Amalga
Feb 12, 2007, 03:26 PM
I may be new to the boards, and I may never have played online, but I know my share of "things you should do."

1) SYNTHESIZE. You get items much cheaper this way and in bulk, such as high-level Grinders that you can't even buy.

2) No matter how many Photon Charges you buy or how frequent the restore points are, never waste your Photon Arts. Save them for bosses or when you're facing a clump of enemies, never for individual grunts.

3) Take care of your Partner Machine. It does help, srsly.

4) Impulse buys are never a good thing. The only way you can get money in this game is by running through missions--which, when you're only looking to get a few hundred meseta, is a waste of time. Save, save, save, and store some items that you'll want to sell later.

5) Echoing the first post on this page, "Ruler of the Plains" on Parum is TEH BSET MISSON EVAR. Even at Level 20, you can easily get an S-ranking on this mission if you move quickly and know where the monsters are. Not to mention the De Ragan decoration you receive upon completion that you can sell off for an easy 5,000 meseta. Or you can give it to your PM for a huge TECHNIC boost.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Amalga on 2007-02-12 12:26 ]</font>

-Ryuki-
Feb 12, 2007, 03:28 PM
-Don't come off needy.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RyukiZero on 2007-07-19 13:13 ]</font>

NPCMook
Feb 12, 2007, 06:36 PM
-Don't believe the random rumors(Like Newmans get summons, and Humans get tanks) >.>
-Don't Fall for the drop your meseta here and it will duplicate
-Buy it in a shop, not on the street
-Don't play Dice
-Don't Spam the Lobbies with useless info no one cares for(you'll end up blacklisted)

Almalexia
Feb 12, 2007, 06:44 PM
-Send me silly mails. I love them and I will respond back in a silly manner.
(Newbies do this anyway, but yea)
-Not all high levels are jerks.
-Well known overrated/overhyped people tend to avoid lesser known people who are not within thier circle. Keep that in mind. Do not bother trying to befriend them.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Almalexia on 2007-02-12 15:46 ]</font>

Esufer
Feb 12, 2007, 06:45 PM
-Use Yohmei weapons.

omegapirate2k
Feb 12, 2007, 06:50 PM
Yohmei weapons are best if you already have a high power base to work with (male beast hunters, I'm looking at you!!!)

Solo linear line for a while until your level 5 or so, then move onto parum with higher level parties, and eventually start doing ragan runs.

NPCMook
Feb 12, 2007, 06:55 PM
-Plains Overlord(De Ragan) is over-rated

-Ryuki-
Feb 12, 2007, 07:15 PM
On 2007-02-12 15:44, Almalexia wrote:
-Well known overrated/overhyped people tend to avoid lesser known people who are not within thier circle. Keep that in mind. Do not bother trying to befriend them.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Almalexia on 2007-02-12 15:46 ]</font>
That's about 95% true, 'cept, it doesn't apply to me. I actually TRY to hang out with people, but many people's cards, I don't even care due to them never SMing me. I have a group I normally hang out with, and never really SM people otherwise. If people SM me and invite me, then I break from my group to join them. That's normally how I do it, but Im' not sure how others do it.

SolomonGrundy
Feb 12, 2007, 07:57 PM
About partying with well known folks: Just remember, it going to be more memorable for you than it is for them. You look VERY silly when you say to <insert Parn's name here> "Omg Parn, do you remember me? We did the hive C when you were hunting blackheart then you found it and it was over 9000! omgwtfbbq!!!11!1!"

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

r00tabaga
Jul 18, 2007, 01:45 PM
I agree that this is a good post and hope to use some of the advice, although fighting at the guardians colony alone gets reeeeeaaaally boring! I am new to the game and find it useful to ask questions while playing missions w/others, while not asking too much and being annoying. Can't wait to get home and play...

360NyTeMaRe
Jul 18, 2007, 02:21 PM
I have a bit of race/class specific comments / advice...

Human - Use quick weapons and wear good armor.
Newman - Use 3* weapons and grind them at least 5 times (ask someone what 3* weapons are).
CAST - Try not to stand in front of monsters that use magic.
Beast - (Make a different race of character) Try to use high attribute percentage weapons to get the most of this (stupid) character type.

Hunter - Find the best armor you can, and equip it with all the attachments you can.
Ranger - Don't stop shooting until all the enemies in the room are dead.
Force - Try to vary your spell use, because diga isn't the best against everything. Pay attention to attributes.

DEM_CIG
Jul 18, 2007, 02:22 PM
-Dont die... use some type of ranged wep. when health is low..
-dont use healing items when ur heatlh is still green, unless ur up a creek with out a paddle.
-straffing is a great way to dodge.
-save ur money 4 the more expensive things... dont buy everything
-dont be afraid to ask for help just dont ask for $$$.... earn it.
-dont be afriad to join a party if ur not having luck making one...

Tigerram
Jul 18, 2007, 02:35 PM
One of the most common questions I get asked are...

"Where and how do I get PA Frags from?"

The answer is simple...

"An S rank in either S-rank missions and/or S2 rank missions, doesn't matter which one. An S-rank missions gives you 1, S2 missions give you 2." So for anyone new, it'll be a bit before you can rush into getting PA frags. ( At least level 35 I believe. )

If new players are wondering what these are for, basically it's extra Photon Arts for meleers and shooters you can purchase at an NPC inside the Guardians Branch that are not available in shops. For Forces, you can purchase spells that are not available in shops. So, if anyone already beat me to explaining this, my apologies, I haven't read the thread thoroughly, lol. Also, hope this was helpful http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

360NyTeMaRe
Jul 18, 2007, 02:36 PM
-also, you can't buy or sell PA frags, so don't fall into any scams which might be related. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Serephim
Jul 18, 2007, 05:45 PM
My advice to new players?

This.

Is.

NOT.

PSO.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Serephim on 2007-07-18 15:45 ]</font>

RedX
Jul 18, 2007, 05:57 PM
On 2007-07-18 15:45, Serephim wrote:
My advice to new players?

This.

Is.

NOT.

PSO.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Serephim on 2007-07-18 15:45 ]</font>

Best advice ever.

But really just party with people and you'll be fine. It's easier now a days being a low level then before so be happy http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif.

jgar000
Jul 18, 2007, 07:31 PM
1.try to get your photon arts up as fast as you can because they are very important later on i learned that.
2.when people die in missions at first dont get mad because when u get high lvl no 1 dies and u will make up the money.

Alisha
Jul 19, 2007, 01:25 AM
Beast - (Make a different race of character) Try to use high attribute percentage weapons to get the most of this (stupid) character type.

go die in a fire.

ShadowDragon28
Jul 19, 2007, 01:33 AM
Don't beg for meseta.

Zorafim
Jul 19, 2007, 01:50 AM
Get a multitude of weapon types, and try to keep them related to your job. Try not to have multiple copies of the same weapon. Level all the PAs for them. This will keep you versatile in your job, and ready for what you need. If you get all your PAs to 21+, then you can go ahead and level the weapons you want.

MP is only important to get to your advanced job. Once you get to the job you want, try to focus on exp and money. You'll get a higher amount of performance from high level weapons and armor than from your own stats, but it'll be easier to get them in higher levels, so you'll have to choose between being a perfectionist and being a level hoarder.

-Ryuki-
Jul 19, 2007, 05:07 AM
Don't listen to people who give long explanations, like the ones in this thread.

ashley50
Jul 19, 2007, 05:22 AM
Play as a Ranger
Don't charge in like Rambo...you'll die
Play Smart =)...use your head
CASTs =p

-Ryuki-
Jul 19, 2007, 05:24 AM
On 2007-07-19 03:22, ashley50 wrote:
Play as a Ranger
Don't charge in like Rambo...you'll die
Play Smart =)...use your head
CASTs =p

Big explanation. Don't listen to him. =x

Mystil
Jul 19, 2007, 05:39 AM
On 2007-07-18 23:25, Alisha wrote:

go die in a fire.

Haha and beasts don't need high percentage weapons like us humans do -,-.

360NyTeMaRe
Jul 19, 2007, 12:39 PM
On 2007-07-18 23:25, Alisha wrote:

go die in a fire.

Excuse me for having an opinion, Hitler.

Haha and beasts don't need high percentage weapons like us humans do -,-.

Yes you do, my Lv50 Human Fighgunner hits more with a 38% fire Hanzo than a stupid Lv60 beast Fortefighter using an "AMAZING" 10% fire Ank Pikor

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 360NyTeMaRe on 2007-07-19 10:42 ]</font>

ThEoRy
Jul 19, 2007, 02:37 PM
My only regret from my early PSU days was not leveling my bot earlier. Tech bots can be expensive and long ago there was no easy money missions especially at lower lvls. I was too concerned about spending all my money on my bot and thought getting my own equipment and stuff was more important. I failed to realize early on that the sooner I raise my bot the sooner it starts making money for me. Essentially paying for itself and then some. After my bot was 100 I started quickly raking in the dough and 9 star force weps. It was like a whole new game opened up to me. So, my advice? Don't make the same mistake as I did. Bite the bullet early on and get that bot lvled up quick!!

Meyfei
Aug 22, 2007, 09:49 AM
I may be starting PSU pretty soon, dunno exactly when, so im gonna plan ahead and ask for some advice from some more advanced players, if thats ok will you? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/cat.gif

amtalx
Aug 22, 2007, 09:58 AM
The first thing I would say is find some friends, but since you are already on the forums, that shouldn't be too hard http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Once you've got some friends...just go out an party. PSU is a big place. You'll generally start out in the Guardians Colony because of Lvl requirements and difficulty, but if you have some high level friends, they can level you up on some of the other planets.

At the beginning, you should be careful with your money. Meseta is hard to come by in the beginning. Hopefully you can get some generous donations first though. That will soften the blow. Once you get your self economy going, don't forget about your Partner Machinery. They are expensive to raise so you may have to wait a while before really going at it.

Other than that, just have fun. Switch classes, figure out what you like. Don't stick to one weapon type though. You'll be less effective and miss out on some really cool weapon types.

Dhylec
Aug 22, 2007, 10:05 AM
Take the tutorial for a free PA, then make friends. ;]

Meyfei
Aug 22, 2007, 10:12 AM
http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif thanks, what about scams? what should i watch out for? i know those who keep rejecting trades so they can switch an item are poor fools who need a life, >.>

gundam0079
Aug 22, 2007, 10:14 AM
well on the pc/ps2 side i havnt heard of any scams in like the past 8 months dont bout 360 though >>

NewAgeRed
Aug 22, 2007, 10:32 AM
educate yourself about the scams people try to pull on others.

also, you can make a range PM for about 30k right now with De Ragan's breath traps. (Traps will be gone on september 14th)

Edit: lol, I had this window open for about 10 minutes before I made this post.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: NewAgeRed on 2007-08-22 08:39 ]</font>

amtalx
Aug 22, 2007, 11:15 AM
On 2007-08-22 08:12, R973 wrote:
http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif thanks, what about scams? what should i watch out for? i know those who keep rejecting trades so they can switch an item are poor fools who need a life, >.>

As a general rule: keep your items in your inventory where they belong. If you need to make a trade make absolutely sure its the item and % that you want. Although I wouldn't be too worried about it. I've been on 360 since ground zero, and no on has tried to scam me since Bruce runs were king...I don't even know how long ago that was.

ThEoRy
Aug 22, 2007, 12:57 PM
heres a sticky thread concerning advice for new players.

http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=122525&forum=20&7

Welcome and enjoy.!

Kuya
Aug 22, 2007, 12:59 PM
Oh, btw - are you going PC/PS2 or 360? I'm sure it'll be easier for those who want to help http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

BanF
Aug 22, 2007, 01:38 PM
Read up to decide what class(es) you want to be so you don't go learning Arts and Techniques you won't use.

Ezodagrom
Aug 22, 2007, 02:04 PM
When you get around lvl 15/20 you can do a mission in neudaiz guardians branch, Her Secret Misson (before lvl 15 you can die easily there), it's good to lvl the basic classes so you can change to an expert class and it gives alot of meseta (it's alot for someone who's starting), it needs 4 ppl to get S, if you get S, the reward is 10000 meseta and 100 mission points (alot more than other C missions), but if you die during the mission, mission over...(careful with kamatoze and fire gohmon near the end, 2 or 3 foie of those gohmon can kill someone around lvl 15/20)

NexGen
Aug 22, 2007, 03:00 PM
Another tip, and it helps you make friends: Earn your own money/items. Don't beg for it (not that you were considering it.)

There's nothing worse than going to some random hotspot and reading a low level spam "PLZ PLZ MESETA PLZ~!~!!11! I WUZ HAKKED!~~!"

I've found that it all means so much more when I earned it, rather than had it handed to me.

Garasu
Aug 22, 2007, 03:15 PM
Make friends, and dont worry if your equipment isnt the best you can have!
I like to keep at least 20k Meseta at all times also...and get used to synthing fast, it helps to make your own weapons.

Nobo
Aug 22, 2007, 03:19 PM
On 2007-08-22 09:15, amtalx wrote:

On 2007-08-22 08:12, R973 wrote:

As a general rule: keep your items in your inventory where they belong. If you need to make a trade make absolutely sure its the item and % that you want. Although I wouldn't be too worried about it. I've been on 360 since ground zero, and no on has tried to scam me since Bruce runs were king...I don't even know how long ago that was.

also never confirm trade first let the other perosn

Sterisk
Aug 22, 2007, 03:26 PM
On 2007-08-22 12:04, Ezodagrom wrote:
When you get around lvl 15/20 you can do a mission in neudaiz guardians branch, Her Secret Misson (before lvl 15 you can die easily there), it's good to lvl the basic classes so you can change to an expert class and it gives alot of meseta (it's alot for someone who's starting), it needs 4 ppl to get S, if you get S, the reward is 10000 meseta and 100 mission points (alot more than other C missions), but if you die during the mission, mission over...(careful with kamatoze and fire gohmon near the end, 2 or 3 foie of those gohmon can kill someone around lvl 15/20)

That's a lie, I did it when I was 3 and I was able to take a couple charges from a kamatoze when I was a human hunter.

Kuya
Aug 22, 2007, 03:27 PM
On 2007-08-22 13:00, NexGen wrote:
Another tip, and it helps you make friends: Earn your own money/items. Don't beg for it (not that you were considering it.)

There's nothing worse than going to some random hotspot and reading a low level spam "PLZ PLZ MESETA PLZ~!~!!11! I WUZ HAKKED!~~!"

I've found that it all means so much more when I earned it, rather than had it handed to me.

I had a 89 begging me to help them get to a million. What the heck...It's was on PC/PS2 so you know they have plenty of haxeta /sarcasm

MrNomad
Aug 22, 2007, 03:55 PM
This thread looks fine, mind if I try?
my advice:

-If you wanna play a helpful race, CAST or human. These two races start off with great stats (CAST having a little higher amount) and later their stats become excellent. Some people may dispute CASTs because of their MST, but really spells hurt everyone a lot. A humans MST isnt gonna save him from dambarta just like a CASTs MST wont save him from it

-hunter class is always good for starters, as they can easily make a foundation of what weapons/items they need, not to mention the cheapest of the three

- You can be any expert class you want, but you hafta make sure you pick only the most useful for your chasracter (IE forteFighters can easily become fiGunners) Also if you switch from a lvl 10 expert class to a lvl 1 expert class be sure to get as much MP as you can (stat drops can be a pain)

-in terms of items and rares on maps, I think the best way to share the drops is this: If you're in a party of 2-3, you can have give finder for the rares and order when you have more members. NEVER have any on random! I dont care what anyone tells you, random is a peice of **** that fails completely. Nothing is more lame than seeing 3 rares go to the same damn person and you end up getting nothing in that mission. But please, dont have give finder when you have 4+ players, not all members in the party can run to the same rare and hopefully win it through mashing the button like everyone else. As for regular items, leave it on give finder. IMO if anyone needs a regular item they should hafta go get it themselves http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

OldCoot
Aug 22, 2007, 05:00 PM
Being an experienced player I picked up on some good ideas though this so thank you.

I think the main one is to expect frustration. You won't get the drop you are looking for right away or even after 10 plus runs or more sometimes. Expect things to fail when synthing and grinding (be careful and don't grind what you can't afford to lose).

Above all have fun. That is why I pay the fee. If it becomes no fun go to something else.

MSAksion
Aug 22, 2007, 06:09 PM
1) Be who you want to be.

If you want to be a Newman HUNTER or a CAST Force - go for it. Well... if you're ready for ridicule. Remember that the team leader has the ULTIMATE Power - To Remove you against your will from his group at any time.

2) Be wary of SCAM ARTISTS

Careful - there are those who take advantage of the weak. Someone telling you to DROP YOUR WEAPONRY and i'll duplicate them or i'll give you Millions of meseta is a SCAMMER. Do NOT LISTEN.

3) Make friends. SILLY i know. But its like college or H.S. or a workplace - if you don't find someone who's like you who wants to hang with you you may not go very far. SOLO takes you only so far in a party game. If you're a hunter find a good force. If you're a ranger find a good hunter. Makes the early stages very easy while you all learn the ropes of your chosen job

4) DON"T BUG THE TEAM FORCE FOR HEALZ.

Seriously - get hit once or twice and calling for HEALZ PLZ is not going to make you favorable. Even now i don't need fellow lvl 85's telling me to BUFF UP. I KNOW my job is to buff up, buff down, and heal the team but i'm too far away and i'm busy attacking entire squads while the hunter is whining about HEALZ from across the map.

5) TRIMATE TRIMATE TRIMATE

See number 4 if you're not capable of RESTA'ing your self. The Team FORCE is not your RESTA SLAVE.

6) That's not a Woman...ITS A MAN BABY!

Just cause she's cute and flirty and/or sexually explicit as hell in her choice of clothing it could be another dude living out his fantasies of havin his own space elf or Catgirl to call his own...

...OR it could be an actual girl and you're just annoying the hell out of her @_@ by asking for her digits. I think she's playing to have fun not find a date and neither should you.

7) Pick your PAs carefully.

Ask around for the best PA to get to lvl 21 IMMEDIATELY, which to get to 21 sometime, and which to NEVER get and form a plan. Nothing worse than leveling a rifle to lvl 12 only to find out that a FIGUNNER can't use a RIFLE. So plan ahead based on your character's weapon loadout and your personal prefernce

HaydenX
Aug 22, 2007, 06:28 PM
1. If you are having trouble finding a party, don't be afraid to solo.
2. Open a shop as soon as possible.
3. If you are on the 360...don't die, EVER.
4. Check out this site for updates and info as often as possible.
5. With your first character, it might be best to choose a favorable race/class combo. Starting out as a gimped Cast force, or newman hunter might not be as much fun to you, plus you won't be able to use certain weapons until higher levels. I would recommend making a human, this will give you bonuses in all of the hybrid classes (FighGunner, GunTecher, WarTecher, and ProTranser).
6. Level up your PM as soon as possible, and make them pure. Until the 14 of next month, it will only cost you 30K to lvl a Ranged PM. If you shop around, a Striking PM could only cost you about 100k. The other two are both going to cost you between 500k-1m to raise.
7. Be respectful (had to say it...yadda, yadda, yadda...you learned it in kidnergarten)
8. Play your class the way it was meant to be played (i.e. don't charge in with twin-daggers as a force unless you plan on becoming a WT)
9. Learn about enemy elements and exploiting them
10. Party up in Her Secret Mission C which is at the Neudaiz Guardian's base. you need 4 people (no more, no less) to get an S rank, which is worth 10,000 meseta and 100 mission points.

haruna
Aug 22, 2007, 06:36 PM
1-Do the tutorial. The free photon art saves you 1000 meseta which can be a bit much to collect when starting completely fresh.

2-Explore! For starters, visit all the shops and main areas of the cities in each of the 3 planets + the colony. That way you can easily get where you need to go from your room.

3-Do some online story mode. At the very least, get the Goggles. If you have the patience, finish both parts of Act 1 for Laia Martinez's partner card.

4-Play offline. At least do it to chapter 4 to unlock Extra Mode. Everything levels faster. Money is easier. You can easily experiment and develop your own play style.

5-Know your NPC prices. Hitting player shops can be a source of bargains and instant gratification. When I was new to the game, finding a 20% light 2* saber for 400 meseta was pretty cool. 1/2 off the shop and handy for doing Linear Line runs.

6-Invest. The pace of this game is a lot slower than PSO. The useful life of weapons and armor in PSU can be very long if grinds or elemental %s are high.

Ultimately,
7-Get a good group of friends. Find people you think are good on forums, other websites and arrange times to get their partner cards. As much as I curse and profane about how much I can hate this game(*shakes fist in the direction of the twits that devised the synthing system*) it's friends that have kept me coming back.

gryphonvii
Aug 22, 2007, 09:44 PM
i didn't fell like reading all the replies so if somebody said this already I'm sorry: go to the options and set the weapon/technic swap to one touch instead of hold so that you can switch between pistols and sabers and different techincs on rods without holding down rb on the 360 version at least.

Arika
Aug 22, 2007, 09:49 PM
Don't complain!! it can help you nothing http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

AxelgearVII
Aug 22, 2007, 09:51 PM
Play the Japanese version.

Donbanana
Aug 22, 2007, 11:11 PM
Always remember there are more people willing to help you than you think and if your nice to them they will help you out which in turn will let you help out out the new guys in a few levels time.
Also dont sell your low level weapons save them and one day you'll be able to return the favours you owe

Bomber The Cosmonaut
Aug 23, 2007, 04:25 AM
Remember! If it opposes,IT DIES!!
And be sure that every other member tagged the monsters before you kill em. Also,don't run off and play hero if you're in a party. Move as a unit and mow down your adversaries.

Also,don't hitch. >.> One of the rudest things a person can do is be at a high level,join a newbie/lowbies party,kill EVERYTHING gaining all of the experience,take ALL the rares and supplies,and then leave you in a ditch.
Sounds like something you would do? Then you're just sick in the head.
If a high level character joins your party and you don't know them? Boot them. Yeah,sure,they'll see you in the next lobby and call you something offensive and maybe blacklist you. But hey,whats the point in playing with a jerk,yknow?

And if you're gonna go AFK for a while,at least say "brb in a bit". Some people just go AFK without saying anything and sometimes just purposly do it to get easy MP and Frags.

Mortisx3
Aug 23, 2007, 07:54 AM
Run for zee hills!!

ljkkjlcm9
Aug 23, 2007, 08:19 AM
On 2007-08-23 02:25, BomberStrife wrote:
Also,don't hitch. >.> One of the rudest things a person can do is be at a high level,join a newbie/lowbies party,kill EVERYTHING gaining all of the experience,take ALL the rares and supplies,and then leave you in a ditch.
Sounds like something you would do? Then you're just sick in the head.
If a high level character joins your party and you don't know them? Boot them. Yeah,sure,they'll see you in the next lobby and call you something offensive and maybe blacklist you. But hey,whats the point in playing with a jerk,yknow?

And if you're gonna go AFK for a while,at least say "brb in a bit". Some people just go AFK without saying anything and sometimes just purposly do it to get easy MP and Frags.

hitching is fine. I hitch all the time, I just don't kill anything. If you're level 90 hitching a ride in a game of level 10s, don't kill anything. I see no problem in hitching the ride though.

As for the AFK thing, I agree you should at least tell your party, but ya know, sometimes we all get pulled away from out computers unexpectedly. Now if you just leave without saying anything on purpose, that's a different story.

THE JACKEL

Bomber The Cosmonaut
Aug 23, 2007, 12:03 PM
Unfortunately not all high level players are like you. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif People tend to kill everything so they get from point A to point B faster. If its gonna be like that,then they should just start their own C party. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

The_Gio
Aug 23, 2007, 03:02 PM
If your on PC/Ps2 Servers, go to universe 2

360NyTeMaRe
Aug 23, 2007, 03:58 PM
I have one piece of advice for you if you're on the Xbox 360 servers, don't associate with people who put the word "dear" or "darling" in every sentence they type, and be sure to stay away from their friends too, which isn't too much of a problem since they only have one friend who follows them and calls them mommie 24/7.

MrNomad
Aug 23, 2007, 04:04 PM
Some more advice: Dont get sloppy. You get sloppy and then your wife makes you take anger management because you're not "SENSITIVE" enough!

=3

Eureka
Aug 23, 2007, 11:57 PM
The only advice I have is to just have fun. And don't worry about those people who would try to ruin that fun. Its a game, and the purpose of games are to have fun. And those that don't understand aren't worth your time.

Trust me, you will run into plenty of them but they don't mean anything as long as you keep your friends close and just have fun.

WolfBlade
Aug 24, 2007, 02:08 AM
If an event comes up, make sure u play tem