PDA

View Full Version : character names suggestion

twan757va
Oct 23, 2006, 10:06 AM
I havin a hard time thinking of a name for my character. Im either going to be a human or a beast. This will be the first for me in this series and i want my name to be reconize by all. P.S make it a name i can pernouce myself thanks.

Katrina
Oct 23, 2006, 10:07 AM
"Skippy"

LordHakutsuru
Oct 23, 2006, 10:08 AM
Enjoy (http://www.behindthename.com/random/) !!

Your new name is... *drum roll* Miltiades Mstislav!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LordHakutsuru on 2006-10-23 08:09 ]</font>

NiteOwl
Oct 23, 2006, 10:12 AM
I think you should name yourself Pixiesugar. That'll be sure to be unique!

Bast
Oct 23, 2006, 10:12 AM
Bob.

Seriously, do you really want someone else to name your character? Would you have someone else name your kid? I would recommend finding your favorite book character (please don't pick animes/games they are over used) or another name you personalized with. Remember, this is something you're going have to live with for 100+ hours (will, depending how much you play).

You can try looking at this for possible names. Just kind of browse through it: http://www.babynames.com/

Or what you can do is check other databases and pick the obscure "kind of not so popular" character names to reduce your chances of running into a "twin." Shakespeare for example. http://www.babynames.com/Names/Shakespeare/ (which would probably be popular).

Katrina
Oct 23, 2006, 10:14 AM
On 2006-10-23 08:12, NiteOwl wrote:
I think you should name yourself Pixiesugar. That'll be sure to be unique!

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_bash.gif

Bast
Oct 23, 2006, 10:14 AM
On 2006-10-23 08:08, LordHakutsuru wrote:
Enjoy (http://www.behindthename.com/random/) !!

Your new name is... *drum roll* Miltiades Mstislav!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LordHakutsuru on 2006-10-23 08:09 ]</font>

That is actually pretty good. Many of my mules for other MMORPGs names were pick by random generated names.

DrizaSiegmund
Oct 23, 2006, 11:16 AM
On 2006-10-23 09:02, DrizaSiegmund wrote:

On 2006-10-23 07:28, twan757va wrote:
I have two more questions. What is a gd name for a human .

Spend the rest of today picking out a name that you are recently passionate about, or maybe have been for the past few years.

And i know it's not as exciting as pulling out a random name for funs sake but its worth thinkin bout http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Cigaro
Oct 23, 2006, 11:19 AM
People really need to be more creative. If not at coming up with names themselves, then with methods of coming up with them from other sources.

It's not that hard when you actually apply yourself.

If all else fails, name them after a car make. My WoW orc was named "Buick".

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: A2K on 2006-10-23 09:25 ]</font>

Ryoga4523
Oct 23, 2006, 12:02 PM
On 2006-10-23 08:12, Bast wrote:
Bob.

Seriously, do you really want someone else to name your character? Would you have someone else name your kid? I would recommend finding your favorite book character (please don't pick animes/games they are over used)...

My name is from an anime and only a hand full of people even recognized what anime my name was from. I was the only "Ryoga Hibiki" on PSO that I know of, and that is all of teh versions too. It is ok to choose an anime/manga name, just stay away from the popular ones, aka Naruto, One Piece, Bleach and please for all that is good in the world do not choose any FF names. I do not know how many variations of Sephiroth I saw... but it got ugly.

Nilot
Oct 23, 2006, 12:04 PM
When I made my name, I picked something I enjoyed from random and just replaced a few letters =)

sulfate
Oct 23, 2006, 12:10 PM
nalga!...........spanish speakers will get it

hey cigaro my tauren was named taurus...

Percival
Oct 23, 2006, 12:18 PM
What about Twan? Having the "same" name for your main PSU character and for use on the message board could be convenient. As many fellow members have suggested, its better to stay away from recent pop culture references.

LordHakutsuru
Oct 23, 2006, 12:20 PM
On 2006-10-23 10:02, Ryoga4523 wrote:

Bob.

Seriously, do you really want someone else to name your character? Would you have someone else name your kid? I would recommend finding your favorite book character (please don't pick animes/games they are over used)...

My name is from an anime and only a hand full of people even recognized what anime my name was from. I was the only "Ryoga Hibiki" on PSO that I know of, and that is all of teh versions too. It is ok to choose an anime/manga name, just stay away from the popular ones, aka Naruto, One Piece, Bleach and please for all that is good in the world do not choose any FF names. I do not know how many variations of Sephiroth I saw... but it got ugly.

Pa-Pa Parn! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmEZLtZObhg)

Bast
Oct 23, 2006, 12:23 PM
On 2006-10-23 10:02, Ryoga4523 wrote:

Bob.

qft

I know I'm going to see so many different incarnations of those played out anime/games. *sigh* And with PSU (like PSO), you can use the same name as anyone else so lets see how many "clever" ways people are going to to display Cloud, Kloud, Cloude, etc or *insert disgustingly over used anime/game name here*.

DarkShadowX
Oct 23, 2006, 12:24 PM
Go with Spud.

Zato-2TWO
Oct 23, 2006, 01:00 PM
(copypasted from my post in another naming thread)

Names always come naturally to me when making characters. What I usually do is just think of syllables that sound cool together and string them together to make a name with a fun and memorable rhythm. I usually like trying to balance out different sounds so that a name is easy to roll off the tongue (not some retarded amateurish elf name like Lylia'rylian'lithil'li) and easy to remember. I'll generate a few right now just to show you how simple it is:

Randomly conjured male names:
Divence Gederay
Wieling Bertrudo
Harenole Harnsway
Gerran Gisterani

Randomly conjured female names:
Mille Linnery
Ridian Mersay
Jordena Fauske
Sennli Haversaye

You also may notice that even the sound of one's name can invoke a hint towards their personality somewhat. Gerran Gisterani sounds like he could be a husky, bitter fellow, while Wieling Bertrudo might be a kind of snickering, shady kind of guy; Jordena Fauske might be a stern and strictly-business kind of woman, where Sennli Haversaye sounds like a free-spirited, upbeat gal.

I don't know if you plan to roleplay, but a name kind of carries a lot with it as it pertains to a character. Otherwise, if you're just playing for the sake of playing, you could just try and throw together something that sounds cool.

Scirrocco
Oct 23, 2006, 01:30 PM
What i do is take a name from an interesting, but lesser known source, or a secondary character from an anime. That way people don't immedialty recognize it, but it has some style and personaility. I particularly like names from Gundam mythos (avoid Amuro, Char, Heero, Etc) because they're not english names, but they sound kind of like it. Scirrocco comes from Zeta Gundam.

The zabi family all have good ones. Dozle, Garma, Gihren, Kycilia.

My cast character Ironhide comes from this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq1_6D9QS9Y

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Scirrocco on 2006-10-23 11:31 ]</font>

Garnet_Moon
Oct 23, 2006, 01:45 PM
Stay away from...

multi HMX-12
SSJ Rei Ayanami (lol...)
Elk
Tarvos

I got dibs on them. I want no clones. Especially SSJ Rei Ayanami.

Jedi_eWok
Oct 23, 2006, 02:27 PM
I got some good names form said website, all based of fairy names!! Choose one of these keepers:
Sparkle Breeze
Dazzle Wing
Quickbeam
Sugarring
and my all time Fave: Honey Fluff

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jedi_eWok on 2006-10-23 12:28 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jedi_eWok on 2006-10-23 12:32 ]</font>

Emgro
Oct 23, 2006, 02:33 PM
You do know that a scirrocco (or some way of spelling it) isn't from an anime originally, but the name of the warm winds blowing into somewhere from Morocco (or somewhere)?

Anyway, I've been using Emgro for years since it was the first thing I tried in the SWG beta that wasn't blocked. It isn't very feminine though, and I'm making a fem Newman, so I'll probably be coming up with something new.

Akaimizu
Oct 23, 2006, 02:40 PM
On 2006-10-23 12:27, Jedi_eWok wrote:
Sparkle Breeze
Sugarring
Honey Fluff

Now, in the world of "Cotton" (a known Japanese shooter series); these are the kinds of names you'd expect from various fairies. Of course, that includes the sadistic ones that conjure up all kinds of wicked explosive ordinance to kill you, in the only way they know how....

With happy dances, and La La songs.

If you think that's disturbing, those who've played Rainbow Cotton have seen that directly.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2006-10-23 12:41 ]</font>

Scirrocco
Oct 23, 2006, 03:29 PM
On 2006-10-23 12:33, Emgro wrote:
You do know that a scirrocco (or some way of spelling it) isn't from an anime originally, but the name of the warm winds blowing into somewhere from Morocco (or somewhere)?

Yes, I know. It's also the name of one of the Main villains from City of Villains. Part of the reason I use it is because of that. I usually make a character design simialr to Ishbalans and Scar from Full metal alchemist (dark, tan skin and light hair)because i like the design, and i usually name that person Scirrocco, since it fits. Right now i'm making a beast Wartecher with that name, so it still works.

twan757va
Oct 23, 2006, 03:54 PM
Thanks to all that posted but keep posting idaels to help others

Disasteroid
Oct 23, 2006, 07:12 PM
Just name it Penis Skin Hands

/thread

Kismet
Oct 23, 2006, 07:13 PM
Just name it GIRL (Guy In Real Life).

Sexy_Raine
Oct 23, 2006, 07:24 PM