PDA

View Full Version : PSU - Servers

RamenEater
Oct 23, 2006, 12:35 PM
There will be 2 worlds but you cannot interchange between worlds? Is this correct? And what is the BBC code for beating a dead horse? Does it even exist, because i know i saw it once before

DarkShadowX
Oct 23, 2006, 12:37 PM
There is still no word on whether there will be 2 worlds, we'll find out soon either by the time NA game comes out or the EU game does. If there is then, no, you can't interchange between the 2 worlds. I wanna know how to beat a dead horse too.

Sev
Oct 23, 2006, 12:38 PM
On 2006-10-23 10:35, RamenEater wrote:
There will be 2 worlds but you cannot interchange between worlds? Is this correct? And what is the BBC code for beating a dead horse? Does it even exist, because i know i saw it once before

We don't know yet. I don't think they've announced anything concerning that.

And I don't see anything for beating a dead horse, so beats me.

Battra
Oct 23, 2006, 12:38 PM
The way I understand it...

There are two worlds, and you can create characters on each server. Up to four (I think) per sega link account, but you CANNOT move your characters between worlds. Nor can you move items between each world.

Mikaga
Oct 23, 2006, 01:37 PM
The Smilies section of the BBCode part of these boards. (http://www.pso-world.com/bbcode_ref.php#smilies)

AFAIK:

• The JP PC/PS2 servers are split into two shards (called "Worlds"). "Sharding" in MMOs means that you can't jump from one to another.

• We know that there are a bunch of servers ("Universes"), and we also know that you can jump around these at will. From the "Multiplayer" section of http://www.phantasystaruniverse.com: "There is no restriction against moving to another universe."

If both of these are true, then the dynamic must work something like this:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y38/mikaga/psu/sharding.png

In which users from World 1 (blue) can never interact with users from World 2 (red).

If so, then everyone's talk shouldn't really be about which Universe everyone gets onto, but which World.

What's interesting to me about this is that the Multiplayer section of http://www.phantasystaruniverse.com also states: "In Network Mode, you can truly interact with every player." Which is clearly not the case if there is sharding.

The two things I'd like to say about this are that:

(1) I really hope there isn't sharding, either by mistaken knowledge of the JP version, or by differences in the EN version.
(2) The concept of "Worlds" being somehow greater than "Universes" is quite stupid.

BrandonBa2
Oct 23, 2006, 01:38 PM
Ack now I may be split between friends http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Weak
Oct 23, 2006, 01:39 PM
Listen.

Rameneater. I love you buddy.

BUT STOP MAKING TOPICS

You've made like five in the past 30 minutes about almost the same thing.

BioWarrior
Oct 23, 2006, 01:42 PM
Eh there probable wont be a need for a split since a good chunk of people will be on PS2/PC servers and XBOX360 servers unlike the japanese versions. Plus It's more popular in japan which is another reason they had to add a world 2.

SpishackCola
Oct 23, 2006, 01:44 PM
Ok people, the JP version initially only had one world. When Sega brought up and allowed another world to be made all the players were notified in advance and could make preparations as Mikaga stated (a character in world one may not interact with people in world two). While Sega unfortunately hasn't updated the game site or posted any info on servers I would wager to guess that the NA release will also only see one world for both sets of platforms at the start. As the PS2/PC servers are not connected to the JP servers, and that the 360 version won't be out in Japan until December.

So, if they do decide to bring in a second world I'm sure they will notify us and you can make plans accordingly. Now if Sega would just update the game site and/or FAQ on the current page with online infrastructure info that'd be great.

Rizen
Oct 23, 2006, 01:46 PM
I think its best that we assume theres only going to be one world on the release...the talk about there being a "possiability" of two worlds has gotten out of hand.

Mikaga
Oct 23, 2006, 01:55 PM
If universes really are servers, one wonders why they needed to add an independant set of universes to begin with. Why not just add to the existing ones and keep it unsharded?

Edit: Not that it matters, of course. Just a passing curiosity.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mikaga on 2006-10-23 11:56 ]</font>

Rizen
Oct 23, 2006, 01:59 PM
The Worlds are the Servers and Universes are the channels. If you played games like Maple Story, you can change in between channels freely but you couldnt change servers. The reason theres so many Universes is to be able to hold all the population on one server but not in the same place for say (alot easier for memory and data transfer).

Mikaga
Oct 23, 2006, 02:06 PM
That explains it. Thanks! ^.^

Originally I'd heard **World = Intraconnected Server Group, Universe = Server**. Thinking about it, **World = Server, Unvierse = Channel** makes a lot more sense.