PDA

View Full Version : Will not chatting in game be too awkward?

Clyde
Oct 23, 2006, 10:44 PM
In any game I play I never chat, most of the time its no problem and goes unnoticed. (Least from what I can tell) This time around, if its anything like PSO there will be a lot of chatting mid-game whether its simply about whats going on or something completely unrelated, anyways when this happens I find I can do little to add to the conversation. I know that it gets awkard though even someone doesn't say it (even have to fill the silence with the ocassional ".........." or something like that. Just wondering how bad this comes off as to other people, (rude maybe) can I expect alot of un-confortableness from everyone I play with or maybe only if I say absolutely nothing. (Not even a Hi or something like that) Your thoughts? I mean can't be that bad can it?

Mazoku
Oct 23, 2006, 10:46 PM
I don't think people will hold it against you but at the same time don't expect to make too many friends...

Alexandrious1
Oct 23, 2006, 10:47 PM
I doubt it, I mean in PSO, and Major mmos ive played I usually keep silent unless spoken to, since usually in mmos im a tank and need to concentrate on what im doing and rather not be distracted, while in PSO im busy trying to kill as quickly as possible.

I really dont see any wrong to it.

Aaomi
When in a mission I'm know to be really quiet and sometimes I get "/poke"ed to see if I'm still awake http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

EvolXx
Is 360 the only one using chat?

Natrokos
Oct 23, 2006, 10:48 PM
You can get by not chatting easily enough.

Phalynx
Im sure the pc players will use ventrillo or something similar.

Flunky
On the 360 open beta, I'll admit I generally found myself caring a little bit less about those who said nothing at all in either voice chat or typed chat. It's easy enough to do a quickchat 'hello', so it did strike me as a little detached from the part. Of course, just because I found myself caring a little bit less about them doesn't mean I wouldn't help them out if they were in trouble... I just found myself a bit irked, that's all.

Edit: This may have been because of the fact that everybody playing the beta most likely had a headset, but just weren't using it (premium system comes with headset, needed hard drive to download demo and I don't know of anyone who bought a hard drive with a 'core' system).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Flunky on 2006-10-23 20:50 ]</font>

Natrokos
Oct 23, 2006, 10:49 PM
You can get by not chatting easily enough.

Xeveous
Oct 23, 2006, 10:51 PM
As long as your doing your job,you dont have to talk.
But in an other note,if its something important,like say if you are playing WoW,and raiding a big boss,its nice to say what you are doing....but otherwise,whatever talking not that important.

Phalynx
Oct 23, 2006, 10:53 PM
In the beta, 90% of my groups, we would mostly just have random conversations, kept things interesting. Boss fights were interesting since we didnt have to stop and type, we could help eachother out much easier and plan stuff.

Zato-2TWO
Oct 23, 2006, 10:57 PM
Generally I feel it's important in ANY MMO to chat. Communication is key to success when your allies are other human beings who you can cooperate with.

BlueDagger
Oct 23, 2006, 11:10 PM
I don't say much either, and this is why I avoid playing with only one other person...

Some guy: [insert something that was supose to be funny but isn't]

silence since there's no one else around to give him a fake "lol"

Me: [fake "lol"]

The awkwardness continues...

If there are other people around I might lighten up a bit, but usually my plan is just to get the quest/mission done, and run with my reward before they give me a friend request... Oh, and then after I declined their friend request or guild/clan/whatever request they ask "Why".... And I'm like "......Ummmm...... Because I don't want to be your friend..." ..... Doncha' think I made that kinda' obvious by declining it in the first place?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BlueDagger on 2006-10-23 21:11 ]</font>

Nilot
Oct 23, 2006, 11:14 PM
I'm always talking, always always always

Gdiz
Oct 23, 2006, 11:14 PM
sometimes i find it rude, ESPECIALLY when im tryign to talk to someone.

example1: i join a dragon party and continuosly ask if theyre killign the dragon already or what. no answer until i get to the transporter and find out mysely. the quick chat "yes" takes about half a second.

example2: i was in a guys shop and he was moving around, but when i needed to ask him a question about one of his items, he wouldnt respond, i even asked just say yes if you cant type or talk. no answer.

just be considerate and youll be fine

BlueDagger
Oct 23, 2006, 11:18 PM
On 2006-10-23 21:14, Gdiz wrote:
sometimes i find it rude, ESPECIALLY when im tryign to talk to someone.

example1: i join a dragon party and continuosly ask if theyre killign the dragon already or what. no answer until i get to the transporter and find out mysely. the quick chat "yes" takes about half a second.

example2: i was in a guys shop and he was moving around, but when i needed to ask him a question about one of his items, he wouldnt respond, i even asked just say yes if you cant type or talk. no answer.

just be considerate and youll be fine

Yeah... That does get aggrovating, I remember that happening a couple times in PSO.

Dracos
Oct 23, 2006, 11:21 PM
I think that talkin is better because you can respond quicker and you can have fun talkin about what ever, the only thing I don't like is when someone with a mic is annoying as hell

Phalynx
Oct 23, 2006, 11:22 PM
It happens, and did for me on the beta. I just promplty left and joined another group. It wasnt even near as big an issue as some tend to make it.

Inspektahdek
Oct 23, 2006, 11:26 PM
On 2006-10-23 21:10, BlueDagger wrote:
I don't say much either, and this is why I avoid playing with only one other person...

Some guy: [insert something that was supose to be funny but isn't]

silence since there's no one else around to give him a fake "lol"

Me: [fake "lol"]

The awkwardness continues...

If there are other people around I might lighten up a bit, but usually my plan is just to get the quest/mission done, and run with my reward before they give me a friend request... Oh, and then after I declined their friend request or guild/clan/whatever request they ask "Why".... And I'm like "......Ummmm...... Because I don't want to be your friend..." ..... Doncha' think I made that kinda' obvious by declining it in the first place?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BlueDagger on 2006-10-23 21:11 ]</font>

On the beta I encountered some really weird people (mainly young players) and really ignorant people as well. This caused me to quit many parties because I would generally dislike alot of players. I had one guy in my party and he was talking to his mom in the background about chores and his school day, I mean cmon WTF kid!?! And then you get the people who are really immature or wont shut the fuck up ever and talk about the dumbest shit. Now granted, when I did find a party of mature players it was very helpful to speak over the mic instead of type. I'm going to be getting the PC version because typing is as far as I want to communicate in this game.

Clyde
Oct 23, 2006, 11:40 PM
Thanks for all the replies, so I guess its safe to say an efficient but silent partner is not the most popular thing in PSU,
I should also not perpously not respond when spoken to,
I should not expect to get many invites (or re-invites)
nor will I get many partner cards,
I might wanna throw the occasional word here or there (whenever possible),
think i've covered most of the responses so I guess I might be ok for the most part
but looks like ill have to put alot more effort into conversation (either that or just be a real awesome player and hope that helps) then ever before.

Gdiz
Oct 23, 2006, 11:43 PM
nah, just be considerate and if your a good player people will want to be your friend. having a reliable party member is better than a talkative one.

Clyde
Oct 23, 2006, 11:52 PM
On 2006-10-23 21:43, Gdiz wrote:
nah, just be considerate and if your a good player people will want to be your friend. having a reliable party member is better than a talkative one.

Thats exacly what I did in PSO GC eventually my friends got used to me not saying would just get an invite an then was off to play and we had many great games then, hope thats what it'll be this time around, if so then looking forward to many good times

Good people, good friends, good games, good times.
(And memorable ones)

Getintothegame
Oct 24, 2006, 12:12 AM
Not chatting was really annoying when I played. Trust me, just take the time to chat.

SpishackCola
Oct 24, 2006, 12:14 AM
Its completely understandable to not talk in games that you aren't required to use a keyboard for (even the PC is excluded since you can use a gamepad) as long as you are doing your job (well).

MayLee
Oct 24, 2006, 12:31 AM
It's not awkweird to me.

I try to start a nice conversation when I get in the room, ask how everyone is doing and if I could tag along and if it's still silent, meh. >.>

Sevenfold
Oct 24, 2006, 12:33 AM
Idc either way, if your ever in my party, as long as you kill things and or heal (if your a force) your welcome to play with me anytime.

Weak
Oct 24, 2006, 12:34 AM
Not chatting feels very weird to me.

It just kinda feels like you're playing with AI when nobody talks. If someone asks you a question, answer it. If someone asks if you know how to type "Hello", then prove you're a living organism behind a monitor.

I mean, come on, It's online. That's the whole point. You're chatting and co-operating with others.

It's fine if you don't like to chat, but talk enough so that you can function, and don't alienate yourself.

Eviltaru
Oct 24, 2006, 12:38 AM
Just tell them you are JAPANESE no speak english =) lol that's only if your using 360

Foxfang
Oct 24, 2006, 12:55 AM
On the beta I encountered some really weird people (mainly young players) and really ignorant people as well. This caused me to quit many parties because I would generally dislike alot of players. I had one guy in my party and he was talking to his mom in the background about chores and his school day, I mean cmon WTF kid!?! And then you get the people who are really immature or wont shut the fuck up ever and talk about the dumbest shit. Now granted, when I did find a party of mature players it was very helpful to speak over the mic instead of type. I'm going to be getting the PC version because typing is as far as I want to communicate in this game.

Oh god this post made me laugh because it's happened so often. I beg all the annoying people out there... If you have to be annoying, don't talk over somebody saying something important. =[

Oh, and stop hitting on all the e-girls.

Drown
Oct 24, 2006, 01:00 AM
Personally, I have always found the PS games to be strangely condusive to chatting. You might actually start playing it and find that you just enjoy chatting, since you don't need to do any of the really hardcore "strategizing" and keep the line free for "raid leaders."

But, even if you don't chat, I certainly wouldn't hold it against you, as long as you don't ignore me.

Croix
Oct 24, 2006, 01:54 AM
I'm hoping that the chatting is just like it was in PSO...which my chatting usually amounted to me saying one of three phrases:
1) 'Booma is fool.'
2) 'Do you take pleasure in beating a drum?'
3) 'Dark Falz is small'

EC_Subbie
Oct 24, 2006, 03:05 AM
Just make an effort to at least say hello and maybe a few words in between. Anything less is annoying.. I've been in a few groups of completely silents..and it's boring.

AkiraXxx
Oct 24, 2006, 03:25 AM
Ill probably roll play and make a few grunts and hand gestures as a beast character.

Ronin1of47
Oct 24, 2006, 04:26 AM
im a big fan of not talking to my party members until they start making fun of me for not talking then i chyme in with my words of wisdom like the big dumb character in movies that only talks when it real profound... keeps me entertained

BadYeti
Oct 24, 2006, 06:20 AM
Just out of curiosity, why do you plan on being silent? Is it related to a disability? I'm sure people would be understanding about something like that.

One thing you might want to consider is using your programmable quick chat commands. If you have difficulty typing or can't vocalize over a mic, you could always set up your quick chat commands to introduce yourself in a friendly way and let people know that you won't be able to chat.

You could even set up a few of them for common things you'd want to convey like "congratulations", "good job", "it was nice meeting everyone" and "thanks for the group, but I've got to leave now". They're easy to use and would let you be friendly with people without having to type quickly or use a mic.