PDA

View Full Version : My dilemma

Agrias
Oct 24, 2006, 03:20 AM
Alright, well my birthday is November 8th and I am currently planning on getting PSU, But, I can't decide whether or not to buy it for the PC or the PS2.

Now, If I buy it for the PC then I can play it more than likely at near max settings, might I add i'm a graphics whore and that's something very important to me. On the downside though i'm restricted when it comes to time I can play. I don't own the computer and the person who does is, well, A nazi in comparison.

So! The PS2, I don't own a working one anymore but, like I mentioned earlier, my birthday is approaching and I could get one then. With the PS2, obviously, the graphics aren't up to par in comparison to the other platforms but I can play whenever I want and however long I like. It's more or so a tradeoff of both. In the long run I know that gameplay would end up being more important to me and i'm buying the game largely due to the fact that friends of mine will be playing along side me. Although when I say i'm a graphics whore.. well, i'm as much of one as one could be.

So? What do you guys think? Also I should mention i'm pretty darn close to being poor. I planned on getting PSU and Company of heroes for my birthday and a bit of dough this year. That is, of course, I buy PSU for the PC. I beleive the newer PS2 is $129.99 and I wouldn't take a refurbished one due to the fact that

1. It would probley be a old model and those pesky dics reading errors aren't fun.
2. I think i've even heard that the slimmer version still has disc read errors. Which apparently they fixed. I don't know to much on that though

Well?

Kismet
Oct 24, 2006, 03:25 AM
The graphics are tolerable on the PS2, even though the PC's graphics are slightly better (it's visuals are sharp and soft in all the right places). But you could always buy a used PS2.

AkiraXxx
Oct 24, 2006, 03:27 AM
PC, you dont want to play TOO much and you dont want to not get enough. Plus Ps2 I wouldnt bother spending the extra cash on that considering the Ps3 is due out within a arms length.

Rider
Oct 24, 2006, 03:31 AM
Hmm... Well all I can say is that those better looking graphics won't help you much when you can't play the game. But since you have to buy a PS2 you have to spend more money for a game.

Also graphics are a big thing for me but I'd rather be able to play the game for however long I want rather then look at something pretty for a little bit of time. Nothing gets on my nerves more when I'm in the middle of something and I'm getting interrupted or worse, kicked off. All that was fixed though once I got my own computer.

Another possibility would be to take all your b-day money and buy and build your own computer for cheap. Just get something that can run the game for now and then later on you can upgrade to get the better looking stuff. At least this way you can play without being limited and then eventually get the graphics you want. It might even renew the game's feeling for you by playing in low settings and then seeing it on high settings. You can go " Ooooh! Aaaah! Look at that Rappy! Oh wow!" You know, that sort of thing.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rider on 2006-10-24 01:32 ]</font>

Agrias
Oct 24, 2006, 03:34 AM
Well, as for playing to much.. I don't see a problem, I deal quite well with lack of content, repetitiveness, things like that. I won't be getting a PS3 in the current state of me being lazy and not having a job.

As for a used PS2, well, i'd never buy one. I don't like buying used things to begin with.

Also, If I play PC I will only play a few hours every couple of days. Theres the usual 5-6 hours 2 days in a row but, doesnt happen much.

EDIT: I should add that I get highly, highly, addicted to pso games and play days on end.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Agrias on 2006-10-24 01:37 ]</font>

Rider
Oct 24, 2006, 03:40 AM
Well I wouldn't count on getting a ps3 since they're the most expensive console on the market, $700 or something like that. You might aswell get a little bit more money and get a cheap computer.

To me, only playing a few hours every couple of days would be bad. Only good thing that would come from it is that the game will keep your interest longer since you can only have it sometimes. Bad part about is that you will only want to play that and when you can't you will be bored.

Also you mentioned playing with friends, can those friends play whenever they want? If you can't then they have the possibility of leveling ahead of you and that kind of throws the whole, "playing with eachother" idea out the window. I mean, you can still play with eachother to some point. But they'll be doing high level stuff and you will be stuck trying to catch up. I'm also playing with friends, got a 4 person team all ready for wed when we all get it. We all plan to level with eachother or at least stay around the same level range if possible.

Just a few things to consider really.

Agrias
Oct 24, 2006, 03:54 AM
On 2006-10-24 01:40, Rider wrote:
Also you mentioned playing with friends, can those friends play whenever they want? If you can't then they have the possibility of leveling ahead of you and that kind of throws the whole, "playing with eachother" idea out the window. I mean, you can still play with eachother to some point. But they'll be doing high level stuff and you will be stuck trying to catch up. I'm also playing with friends, got a 4 person team all ready for wed when we all get it. We all plan to level with eachother or at least stay around the same level range if possible.

Just a few things to consider really.

That's actually a good point. As for most of them I can say they'll be playing as much as I would if I could play whenever i'd like. Now that I think of it. Last time I played a PC game with them they quickly passed me up. Totally defeated the purpose of enjoying the game together.

Now about buying a cheap computer. Like I mentioned before i'm quite poor. I'd already be pushing it by both getting a PS2 and PSU. This birthday as of now is my only opportunites for getting any of this. I will eventaully be getting a job and my first purchase will be a computer but yah..

It sounds as if the choice is really easy and I should just buy the ps2 but I really care about the graphics. I've played FFXI for both the PS2 and PC and I must say that once I saw it for PC I never looked back. It made me sick to see it on the PS2.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Agrias on 2006-10-24 01:55 ]</font>

Rider
Oct 24, 2006, 04:10 AM
I'm not much of a computer wiz so I wouldn't know how to exactly go about building your own computer. But I've heard from alot of my friends who have built their own computers that it's way cheaper to build your own and you can get a pretty good one.

For me I would choose playing with friends over graphics because playing with people you know and have fun with would be better then seeing things in a better view. I'm not saying that you won't make friends playing the game without them. Just more playing time + playing with people you know = more fun to me then what the game looks like. Eventually I will set out for better graphics which is why I upgraded my computer not too long ago.

Although this is all advice, you can take it however you want. I'm not saying you have to do it this way, just putting out options on your situation.

Another suggestion would be to buy the ps2 and get the ps2 version of the game and play on that. Then once you get a job and can get a computer, just buy the pc version of the game and start playing that. I see no reason why your ps2 account won't work with the pc one, so you can just continue where you left off. I'm not 100% sure on that but I'm pretty sure your account will work with any version of the game, at least ps2/pc since their servers are linked. Then you can always resell your ps2 and ps2 version of the game(maybe) to a game store and earn some of the money back. The draw back is that you will be losing money by doing this but it will let you play with your friends and not fall behind and eventually get the graphics you like.

Before you go off and buy a ps2 though(assuming you do) do you have all the online stuff you need for it? Like the keyboard and things? If not, then thats more money you have to put out for the game. I wouldn't throw the choice of a used ps2 out either. It's cheaper and not all of them are in bad condition. Stores should be checking to make sure they run alright before selling them. You can always buy a warranty for a few bucks and if it turns out something is wrong with it, just return it for another one. I've had my ps2 since the 8th grade and I'm in college now. The system still runs perfect after all these years.

I guess if you don't want to spend money on the ps2 you can just play with your limited time on the pc until you get a job and can buy your own computer. That is if you don't mind not being able to play it whenever you like for a little bit.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rider on 2006-10-24 02:12 ]</font>