PDA

View Full Version : Voice Selection and Pitch

Pandatron
Oct 24, 2006, 02:58 PM
Sorry if this will appear to be another mindless thread but i do have an inquiry in mind to those that played the Xbox360 beta testing.

I know for the PSU JP the voice acting for the character weren't too bad and they came out well in terms of things they said and pitch of their voice (which i'm sure like the heights in this game there will be two generalized types really high pitch and really low pitch).

In either case for the customiztion of characters and their voices and pitch how did they turn out? Do they stand up to the Japanese voice acting, fall horrible short of it or excelled and give me a new realization of the greatness of english voice acting *piff*.

You thoughts?

FenixStryk
Oct 24, 2006, 03:02 PM
NA voices are JP voices w/o actual dialogue, just grunts and stuff. It could be worse.

EnixBelmont
Oct 24, 2006, 03:04 PM
Japanese voice 7 is a bit better. To be honest, I'd never use any of the others, so that's all I payed any attention to.

Pandatron
Oct 24, 2006, 03:08 PM
Thanks for the information guys i'm some what a bit worried now but a bit more prepared for such horrors. Personally i liked voice #2 upped a few pitchs higher than normal. I consider using 11 with a female character but it seem far too goofy and disturbing at the same time.

Mag_Launcher
Oct 24, 2006, 03:17 PM
Eh... I don't think people are going to mess with the voice pitch like the height, unless they want their character to sound completely rediculous.

Saner
Oct 24, 2006, 03:24 PM
Im glad the English voices dont have words, that would get annoying. and they definitely sound better than JP. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Oyako
Oct 24, 2006, 03:47 PM
Who doesnt want to hear "Get ready..!" 500x ?

BadYeti
Oct 24, 2006, 04:12 PM
I guess I'm in the minority in that I'd actually prefer to hear some catch phrases. It's a little strange having to choose from a dozen different sets of grunts.

The voice sets aren't terribly distinguishable, at least for the male characters, and it's hard to pick out any kind of characteristic or personality that the various sets are supposed to convey.

I think it would have been cool if the voice sets were distinct and designed to suggest different personalities through a few phrases. With a dozen or so sets per gender to choose from, you could have had burly, shy, mysterious, know-it-all, hot-headed, cowardly, compassionate and greedy characters all adding a little bit of extra personality to your groups.

And as far as phrases being played too often, I think each of the sets have around fifteen recordings that can be triggered in-mission, and they could always have just tuned the randomizer down to decrease the frequency of triggering the recordings.

Elleranda
Oct 24, 2006, 04:15 PM
I use 10 with two pitch clicks to the right. Very womanly and very tough sounding. I hate sounding like a squeaky twelve year old girl.

Minswune
Oct 24, 2006, 04:17 PM
I used voice 7 with pitch set 5 from the left, really liked the way it sounded.

FenixStryk
Oct 24, 2006, 04:21 PM
Most people use voices pretty much equal to the originals, with some horribly deep exceptions.

Spacepest
Oct 24, 2006, 04:22 PM
On 2006-10-24 14:12, BadYeti wrote:
I guess I'm in the minority in that I'd actually prefer to hear some catch phrases. It's a little strange having to choose from a dozen different sets of grunts.

The voice sets aren't terribly distinguishable, at least for the male characters, and it's hard to pick out any kind of characteristic or personality that the various sets are supposed to convey.

I think it would have been cool if the voice sets were distinct and designed to suggest different personalities through a few phrases. With a dozen or so sets per gender to choose from, you could have had burly, shy, mysterious, know-it-all, hot-headed, cowardly, compassionate and greedy characters all adding a little bit of extra personality to your groups.

And as far as phrases being played too often, I think each of the sets have around fifteen recordings that can be triggered in-mission, and they could always have just tuned the randomizer down to decrease the frequency of triggering the recordings.

Agreed. I wouldn't have minded catch phrases and random voice emotes from my toon to give it more personality.

In another game I'm currently playing, World of Warcraft, the main reason I picked my first (and now main) toon was because of her hilariously funny and disturbing random voice emotes. Although the voice emotes on WoW are more a command than just a sound effect, you type in something like /joke or /silly or whatever emote and a random voice effect would go with it. Nothing funnier than my female troll just standing around in a crowd and saying, for no reason at all, "If cannabalism be wrong I don't want to be right!" or "Strong halitosis be but one of my feminine traits."

Parn
Oct 24, 2006, 04:23 PM
There are a couple of differences though, and this makes me wonder... since the JP version is linked with the US version for Xbox 360, are the Japanese going to get the US voices, or are they going to get the Japanese voices? The latter is more likely, and it'd be kind of odd to pick a voice selection on your client, and have someone hearing something completely different...