PDA

View Full Version : Can you use a controller with this game?

Lazygirl313
Oct 24, 2006, 11:10 PM
I bought an adapter for my PS2 controller for some roms. I was wondering if I could use it for psu too.

HUnewearl_Meira
Oct 24, 2006, 11:12 PM
Yes. A controller is the generally prefered means to play PSUPC.

Weak
Oct 24, 2006, 11:12 PM
I'm gonna be nice and say "Yes."

jarek99
Oct 24, 2006, 11:17 PM
a controller? are you mad?

Lazygirl313
Oct 24, 2006, 11:21 PM
I could be. I know games like Fable/UT do not, which is why I asked.

AquaFlare7
Oct 24, 2006, 11:25 PM
The game was originally released on ps2, and almost direct-ported to the pc from it's counterpart. A controller is most definately recommended as that is what they game was designed around, but I've seen people manage with a keyboard ::shiver::

pkazama
Oct 24, 2006, 11:27 PM
i love playing UT with no controller, that was my first first person shooter game on thhe pc i played. Anything like FPS game feels a lot better with a mouse anyway, but yeah i was dissapointed Fable didnt support controllers. It was still ok. I just hope PSU has a fine feeling like fable was on using a keyboard, cus my converter started acting all wierd when i hook a PS2 controller to it to play an game. It pressed random buttons on it own TT

Kie
Oct 24, 2006, 11:31 PM
well then its cool my controller is exactly like a ps2 controller XD but it aint ps2 controller just all the same buttons in same places

HUnewearl_Meira
Oct 24, 2006, 11:35 PM
On 2006-10-24 21:25, AquaFlare7 wrote:
The game was originally released on ps2, and almost direct-ported to the pc from it's counterpart. A controller is most definately recommended as that is what they game was designed around, but I've seen people manage with a keyboard ::shiver::

The keyboard control is rather good on PSU, actually. I let Jared_T play the PC closed beta while it was going, and he actually prefered keyboard to the controller.

Realmz
Oct 24, 2006, 11:37 PM

i love it when people say a game is ported to the pc, it makes me giggle.

yeah you can use a controller for the PC version, but at least try out the keyboard settings first and not waste money, pretty please?

pkazama
Oct 24, 2006, 11:38 PM
On 2006-10-24 21:35, HUnewearl_Meira wrote:

The keyboard control is rather good on PSU, actually. I let Jared_T play the PC closed beta while it was going, and he actually prefered keyboard to the controller.

I think i wouldnt mind keyboard if i was using anything besides a gunner. I'm most worried about using first person view with a keyboard, but i read in the forum that ther eisnt much first person needed except on bosses and stuff

Lazygirl313
Oct 24, 2006, 11:40 PM
I can't imagine psu with a keyboard. I'm still use to the GC controller with pso XD

JigokuRyouken
Oct 25, 2006, 12:04 AM
Yes, it's definitely confirmed that you can use a controller for the game. I.E. USB "Joy Pad" Controller or USB Converter for PS2 (Playstation 2) Controller/s, and I expect a USB Converter for Xbox Controller/s to work as well since the whole USB software is based around the same "Plug&Play" premise. Personally, I use a USB to PS2 Converter but I have also played PSO:BB on the keyboard and had no trouble with it whatsoever, in fact, I rather liked it.

And just for comparison, I'll do a quick "Pro"s and "Con"s of Controller and Keyboard for the PC version.

Controller:
Pros: + Quicker, more reliable "gameplay". (Depends on personal preference, weapons used, play style, ect.)
+ Console players trying the game on the PC should feel more comfortable using/holding a controller and playing the game that way.
+ More accurate and responsive turning, movement, aiming, combo hit consecutivity, ect. (Esspecially with analog control option)

Cons: - Moving between controller and keyboard for typing may become very tedious depending how social / how much of a conversationalist you are, and at what speed you type. (KPM: Keystrokes Per Minute)
- Controllers differ and becoming accustomed to one and trying another may be a bother.
- Going through menus might take slightly longer if you aren't exactly "graceful" or precise with analog control.

Keyboard:
Pros: + Quick and Easy access to typing and emotes (All great online games let you force your virtual avatar to dance and don't you forget it~!! >:3)
+ The Keyboard controls also have a few shortcut keys for quickly getting to a specific menu. (Such as Inventory, Party, ect.)
+ If you like computer games and have experience using W,A,S,D for movement in FPS (First-Person Shooters) and MMOs, it should be easy to adjust to using your right hand for the arrow keys.

- Might feel awkward at first for anyone that likes having a mouse to hold onto (The mouse is not used at all in PSU except maybe the title page -.-;)
- The First-Person perspective shooting may be clunky and difficult to get those pin-point precise shots off. (For taking out enemies' wings or hitting weak points)
- Strafing may have issues with the keyboard as well (Haven't tested all aspects just yet but seems alright)

Well those are just my opinions of my experiences and what you might consider when playing with a controller or on the keyboard for the PC version of PSU. So please take them into consideration, esspecially since I tried to make the Pros and Cons as even as possible. *Bows* Dozo yoroshiku ^ ^

Key: /s = Multiple controller ports may be available.

tetsuo_3035
Oct 25, 2006, 12:07 AM
damn i was kind of thinking they would do it where the mouse was looking and the keyboard was for walking and stuch
but hey you got alll those keys to quick hit stuff in your inventory...i personally think its gonna be even either way around no matter what class you play as

Getintothegame
Oct 25, 2006, 12:11 AM
To each his own... a lot of hardcore gamers say the keyboard is better for games on PC than it is on the Gamepad. Heck, games like WoW won't even allow a controler!

So, it's preference.

Xbob
Oct 25, 2006, 12:11 AM
Well you can edit your controls. Though I haven't checked if you can use the mouse to move the camera and such.

I use a PS2 controller on my PC, so the menu thing isn't an issue as I can use the D-Pad for menus...

And I've gone from controller to keyboard since the DC days and have never had an issue with it, I'm just smooth like that I guess. The main advantage is that I no longer have to hold the keyboard on my lap, haha.

Xbob
Oct 25, 2006, 12:30 AM
Well on a desk, the GC Keyboard/Controller is rendered obsolete. The main point was that you didn't have one or the other sitting in your lap, where not much balance is available...

Kent
Oct 25, 2006, 02:09 AM
An additional question, to those whom it may apply to:

When using the Xbox 360 controller using the default Microsoft drivers, is it possible to bind functions to the analog triggers? They're treated as a single axis, so I'm curious as to whether PSU supports five axes/mapping commands to them.

AeraLure
Oct 25, 2006, 07:23 PM
I checked options and found no way in the list of functions under controller setup up to assign a key to strafing. There is also no way to add functions to the list that I can see. You would have thought that all game functions would be listed on the left column, and then you could click on the ones you want to assign to a specific controller key, but it doesnt appear to be the case. Heck it also appears at first glance that you cant reconfigure all functions on the keyboard (?).

For the controller setep, anyone who is using one, are you using a third party piece of software to map controller buttos to keyboard controls? Only was I can see around it unless I am missing something...