PDA

View Full Version : Networking Problem

Kjeldor
Oct 25, 2006, 08:46 AM
Ok i have a 4 way ethernet split Dynex interent Connection Switch. It has a WAN port and 4 LAN ports.

The Modem is InsightBB and has a tv cable going from god knows where to the back of the modem then a usb cord goes from the modem to the computer to connect it to the internet.

What i have to do is split that connection from just computer to computer and PS2. I already have a Ethernet cord ran to my ps2 and i have 2 other ethernet cords. How can i get my PS2 and Computer connected to the internet.

KazuKun
Oct 25, 2006, 08:48 AM
Don't you have to run that little network disc that came with the PS2? If not, shouldn't PSU have something that helps you set up your network?

Banya
Oct 25, 2006, 08:49 AM
A lot of cable modems don't allow you to use USB and Ethernet connection at the same time.

What you need to do is: Connect the ethernet connection from the modem to the WAN port on your ics.

Then run cables from the lan ports to your PS2 and PC.

Guilty-Mirage
Oct 25, 2006, 08:50 AM
Plug the "tv cable" into the modem as usual. Run an ethernet cord from the modem to the WAN port on the switch. Then attach either your PC or PS2 to LAN port 1 (or 0 depending on how it's numbered) and attach the other to the other. Go in order from closest to the WAN plug outward. Most modern routers / switches / etc don't really care anymore, but back in the day it occasionally mattered if you skipped a LAN port with some models... and I don't know when yours was made.

Turn everything (including your cable modem) off... then restart the cable modem. After it's recycled and is connected again, wait thirty seconds and restart the switch. Wait again, then turn on your PC again. Everything should be kosher then if you're using Windows XP.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Guilty-Mirage on 2006-10-25 06:51 ]</font>

Kjeldor
Oct 25, 2006, 08:52 AM
Well ok ill try that but i just tried something else and it said that it couldnt connect within the expected time