PDA

View Full Version : Game guide all but worthless.

Saigan
Oct 25, 2006, 09:00 AM
Title says it all; so unless you are a collector or plan on having it for story mode (cus you're a noob =P) pass on it. There's only ten pages of network mode information and typos galore.

Y'know, kind of like the PSO guide >.>

kyori
Oct 25, 2006, 09:04 AM
Any neat artwork at least?

Epy1221
Oct 25, 2006, 09:14 AM
Story Mode is whats going to make this game. Otherwise this game would be like the rest of the Phantasy Star's

DreamLocke
Oct 25, 2006, 09:16 AM
I browsed through it and didn't see too much artwork, lots of screenshots and charts. Pass. The old PSO guide for dreamcast had cool art.

Pop_Rocks
Oct 25, 2006, 09:21 AM
On 2006-10-25 07:14, Epy1221 wrote:
Story Mode is whats going to make this game. Otherwise this game would be like the rest of the Phantasy Star's

No...Story mode is what makes it LIKE the other Phantasy Stars. There's more to the series than PSO ya know.

Saigan
Oct 25, 2006, 09:57 AM

Am I to assume there's a typo in here or are you unaware that PS has been around since the 8-bit era?

Ecstasy
Oct 25, 2006, 09:59 AM

please, If you'r going to play a game. Atleast be a little informed about it's past.

Valkayree
Oct 25, 2006, 10:01 AM
Ehh, yeah I saw it in a Gamestop yesterday while I went trolling for elusive 360 copies. It looks to be a lot of story mode, absolutely nothing to help out online players except enemy descriptions (may actually be good for scanning onto psupedia or pso-world info pages)

BlueDagger
Oct 25, 2006, 10:02 AM

*cough cough*

Have a nice day (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantasy_star).

Sinue_v2
Oct 25, 2006, 10:44 AM
I guess all the characters from the top line of my sig are actually from Final Fantasy huh?

BlueDagger
Oct 25, 2006, 10:49 AM
On 2006-10-25 08:44, Sinue_v2 wrote:
I guess all the characters from the top line of my sig are actually from Final Fantasy huh?

Yeah, and a guess that(sorry forgot his name) the musk cat is really a mutated moogle.... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Clyde
Oct 25, 2006, 10:53 AM
Is there only one guide to choose from or is it just Brady games ATM, because if it is I'll wait for a company that actually makes good guides to come out. (I am a fan of versus books myself, mostly for the occasional joke they throw in it rather then its information)

Ryogen
Oct 25, 2006, 11:26 AM
I'm glad offline is not going to be like other phantasy stars and it has a story mode. Only real (insert word here) beat story mode.

Midicronica
Oct 25, 2006, 11:32 AM
I haven't looked at the guide myself, but you're not the first person to inform me of the worthlessness of the Bradley's PSU Guide. I was hoping it would have a complete list of weapons, skills, techniques, and items, but from what most of you are saying I don't think it does. So once again, thanks for the reassurance. I'll take ya'lls word on it and not blow twenty dollars on it.

StanleyPain
Oct 25, 2006, 11:35 AM
Why does everyone keep dissing the original PSO guide? What guide are you referring to? Yes, when Ep 1 & 2 came out the guide was never updated, just re-released, but the original PSO guide was VERY useful. It had stat information on online foes, maps of all the level variation, mag feeding guide, weapons guide up to a certain rarity, and complete information on all of the original quests, plus a few other things that at the time weren't even known to the internet community.
It was NOT useless. It was only later, when PSO grew and went on other consoles, that Versus Guides (now Brady) decided NOT to update the guide stupidly and re-release it with the same stuff and barely anything new...not even version 2 information.

Akaimizu
Oct 25, 2006, 11:38 AM
On 2006-10-25 08:44, Sinue_v2 wrote:

Ahh. That cat must be Myau from Phantasy Star 1. The Magical Cat with a mean set of claws, and can actually cast spells. Back in the day when Magic really existed and there was such a thing as a Resurrection spell. (not a revival tech)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2006-10-25 09:40 ]</font>

Zorafim
Oct 25, 2006, 02:40 PM
Ah, Myau. The first HUnewearl.

Akaimizu
Oct 25, 2006, 02:48 PM
Myau isn't. Myau was really a *special* cat. The one you speak of is Nei.

The technology to clone as well as the biological experimentation required to make Newmans didn't exist until sometime between Phantasy Star 1 and Phantasy Star 2. Also, between that time, the magics of olde were becoming *lost*. Technology was beginning to be the answer to how to keep the *fantasy* alive. No more resurrections. If you died, you died; but you could be cloned, by then.

Phantasy Star 2 introduced Nei. A Newman Hunter, who used the Mechanical Claws.

It is also, with this release, that Phantasy Star began to truly take on the kind of world most of us see today. Of course, without the incremental technological advances. Heck, even between PSO and PSU, the technology behind CASTS improved greatly, including making wonderous strides in CAST movement and emotions. You can thank a particular Newman Scientist (featured in PSO) for his big contribution to that tech. Elenor was one of the first CASTs to be a step between the old ones and the ones you'll see here.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2006-10-25 12:54 ]</font>

AeraLure
Oct 25, 2006, 02:49 PM
The guide is indeed pretty worthless, though it has some maps. I cant say yet as to whether or not that is all that useful as I had maps memorized in PSO fairly quickly. Nothing on Network Mode, nothing on weapon rares etc, nothing in terms of cool pictures, nothing and character designs. Erm. Nothing really lol.

kirinano
Oct 25, 2006, 03:32 PM
On 2006-10-25 09:35, StanleyPain wrote:
Why does everyone keep dissing the original PSO guide? What guide are you referring to? Yes, when Ep 1 & 2 came out the guide was never updated, just re-released, but the original PSO guide was VERY useful. It had stat information on online foes, maps of all the level variation, mag feeding guide, weapons guide up to a certain rarity, and complete information on all of the original quests, plus a few other things that at the time weren't even known to the internet community.
It was NOT useless. It was only later, when PSO grew and went on other consoles, that Versus Guides (now Brady) decided NOT to update the guide stupidly and re-release it with the same stuff and barely anything new...not even version 2 information.

Well said!

I treasure my Perfect Guide for PSO.

I framed that huge fold-out poster it came with. Plus, like you said, it had great maps, charts, and stuff. It didn't cover a lot of items (they said ST wouldn't let them reveal most 11* and 12* rares) and it didn't tell you have to get the 3rd evo mags (that's what Nozedive's guide was for). But it was a beautiful, awesome guide nonetheless. Easily my most-used AND most-loved guide ever.

Its funny to reread it, because some of their 'conclusions' are laughably funny, like the line about mechguns being useless because they're too slow and too inacurate. Obviously written LONG before the age of God/Battle farming and dex-mag-raising. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Plus that line in the description of HUnewearls: "Proving once again that nothing stops a bullet better than a halter-top and a low-cut mini skirt, these hotties have the best Evasion in the game..." http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Akaimizu
Oct 25, 2006, 03:46 PM
Man. That's some pretty classic text right there. Makes me wish I picked up the PSO guide. What I do have is the original 3-dimensional PSO marquee that the stores set up to advertise. When it was all said and done, the store clerk gave me one. I still have that one up against the wall, in my bedroom.

"You're not the only hero."

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2006-10-25 13:47 ]</font>

kirinano
Oct 25, 2006, 03:49 PM
Awesome! That's a cool thing to have, Akaimizu!