PDA

View Full Version : PSU: Real Stunners Beat Story Mode

Ryogen
Oct 25, 2006, 11:39 AM
I thought about it for a while and thought about how many players are neglecting story mode and going for online. So think about this, you can work both online and offline, but I think that people who actually beat Story Mode are the real stunners of Phantasy Star Universe Online.

Player 1: I'm a lvl 30, and your a noob.

Player 2: I beat story mode. Somthing you'll never man up enough to do.

Player 1: You wasted your time with story mode?! Ha ha ha, you know nothing.

Player 2: Yeah I do and I have experienced more than you!

Going between the two equally or going though story mode could possibly show you a sence of how you want to shape your character. You can be a high lvl with a lot of moves in offline, but really got to work for it in online and if you mess up, you either deal with it and move on or start over.

That is my theory on offline vs online. Too many offline haters here.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ryogen on 2006-10-25 09:40 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ryogen on 2006-10-25 09:41 ]</font>

DarkShadowX
Oct 25, 2006, 11:41 AM
Well I'm gonna start with story mode myself. Then I'm gonna spam online mode to the max.

Ryogen
Oct 25, 2006, 11:43 AM
Same. I'll be online from time to time, but I'll be learning about a lot of things offline. Look, learn and look forward to what I want my character to become online.

Guilty-Mirage
Oct 25, 2006, 11:43 AM
I'm not sure what a "stunner" is.

... I also haven't noticed any of the "offline hate" you seem to be suggesting exists.

Saner
Oct 25, 2006, 11:44 AM
either way, both players in your example are just seeking bragging rights. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

I'll play offline story/extra whenever online is not available.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Saner on 2006-10-25 09:45 ]</font>

Ryogen
Oct 25, 2006, 11:46 AM
On 2006-10-25 09:43, Guilty-Mirage wrote:
I'm not sure what a "stunner" is.

... I also haven't noticed any of the "offline hate" you seem to be suggesting exists.

A stunner is one who is stunning. It's basically the definition of stun. So it's like "I stun you with my amazing powers." Like that.

Oh they are around here man. They are hidden around topics and inbetween post. Most think offline story mode is worthless and such.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ryogen on 2006-10-25 09:47 ]</font>

Akaimizu
Oct 25, 2006, 11:46 AM
Well, if you want to play offline, these days are the times to do it. It's currently at the time in which you can still learn a lot from Offline, partially because you'll get a good taste of stuff that's not online yet. And the various class comparisons wont really be off by much, so you can quickly experiment and get the feel down.

Plus, it's probably better to unlock Extra mode now, than later.

Saner
Oct 25, 2006, 11:47 AM
well can't change how they think about offline story, it doesn't matter anyways, just ignore them.

Kou-Diacyper
Oct 25, 2006, 11:49 AM
You never thought that people may enjoy interacting with other real people, instead of just some NPCs? Maybe this online business is going right over your head.

Guilty-Mirage
Oct 25, 2006, 11:50 AM
A stunner is one who is stunning. So it's like "I stun you with my amazing powers." Like that.

I've never heard that term in my entire life.

Well, anyway...

Oh they are around here man. They are hidden around topics and inbetween post. Most think offline story mode is worthless and such.

... I think you may be imagining things.

Some people may not care about offline mode, and why should they? It's not like playing offline mode somehow makes one a better player than someone who only plays online, or vice versa. If there are those who only want to play online with other people and don't care about the storyline at all, why should they waste time playing story mode or extra mode?

No reason at all.

No one's going to be "stunning" in PSU. There will be players who do their job in a group, are nice, and act like a team player, and there will be bad players who do the opposite. This isn't .hack where there are legendary "OMG IT'S SOANDSO, THEY'RE SO AMAZING" players.

With controls this simple, this isn't like a fighting game where some people who practice a lot become far better than people who play casually. Everyone who cares enough to try will be just as good as the person that plays almost 24/7.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Guilty-Mirage on 2006-10-25 09:51 ]</font>

Midicronica
Oct 25, 2006, 11:52 AM
Can anyone give me an estimate of how many hours long the offline mode is?

I intend on playing both modes, but I'm (like most people) purchasing the game mostly for online mode. I might neglect the story mode for a while, but I will definately get around to it.

Ryogen
Oct 25, 2006, 11:59 AM
No one will be stunning to others (depends), but to themselves and becuase one is stunning to themselves could cause them to brag others or pick on one smaller than them or maybe help others. Some care and some don't. There is a deep meaning in the word. The title of the topic is most likely going towards the people who see offline as useless. To show that maybe putting a little more time into Story Mode may show them a little somthing.

Don't take my examples seriosuly. The reason why I said offline mode is important as online is the experience. You level faster, thus will be able to get a better sense of what you will be dealing with online and not dout your motives in what you buy, how you level, what you level, what you grind and how you manage your money.

Ryogen
Oct 25, 2006, 12:00 PM
On 2006-10-25 09:52, Shadow_Moses wrote:
Can anyone give me an estimate of how many hours long the offline mode is?

I intend on playing both modes, but I'm (like most people) purchasing the game mostly for online mode. I might neglect the story mode for a while, but I will definately get around to it.

I wish I could tell you. I guess we all will find out.

Akaimizu
Oct 25, 2006, 12:02 PM
Well there are two offline modes. I believe most can unlock Extra Mode in the space of a couple hours. A little more depending on how long you decide to wait to beat Chapter 4. A word of warning, though, that you still will have Extra mode usable NPCs to unlock, further into story mode.

The single player story mode is around that 30 hour average, to complete fully. Then you have Extra mode, which can be played indefinitely. It has its uses. It's for people that:
1. Don't have online access, or don't want to get a hunter's license.
2. May want to experiment with different builds, as you can make a few well-levelled Extra mode characters in a fraction of the time it takes to level 1 online one. But many may simply not take them too far, they'll just get that accellerated simulation for which they can decide if they want to take that build online, or not.

Jaylix
Oct 25, 2006, 12:03 PM
I'm still trying to figure out if a "stunner" is a good or bad thing.

Sinue_v2
Oct 25, 2006, 12:03 PM
I could care less about getting "practice for online", or for showing off that I beat offline for.. uh.. whatever reason you would want to do that.

I'm playing storyline mode first simply because I've been waiting a goddamned decade of an offline Phantasy Star story - and I'm going to enjoy it. I'll play through a second time to create a full script which I can post to the Wiki.

I'll probably hop on and off online mode for a few minuites here and there - but it's mostly going to be offline for me for awhile.

Ryogen
Oct 25, 2006, 12:08 PM
On 2006-10-25 10:02, Akaimizu wrote:
Well there are two offline modes. I believe most can unlock Extra Mode in the space of a couple hours. A little more depending on how long you decide to wait to beat Chapter 4. A word of warning, though, that you still will have Extra mode usable NPCs to unlock, further into story mode.

The single player story mode is around that 30 hour average, to complete fully. Then you have Extra mode, which can be played indefinitely. It has its uses. It's for people that:
1. Don't have online access, or don't want to get a hunter's license.
2. May want to experiment with different builds, as you can make a few well-levelled Extra mode characters in a fraction of the time it takes to level 1 online one. But many may simply not take them too far, they'll just get that accellerated simulation for which they can decide if they want to take that build online, or not.

Pretty much took the words out of my mouth. I'm guessing you can make a infinate number of characters offline compared to the 4 you can make online.

Ryogen
Oct 25, 2006, 12:10 PM
On 2006-10-25 10:03, Jaylix wrote:
I'm still trying to figure out if a "stunner" is a good or bad thing.

It's a good thing. It can be a bad thing too, it's just another word for stunning....but -er.

Kjeldor
Oct 25, 2006, 12:13 PM
Yea im gonna do some experimenting with offline to figure out what kind of weapons im gonna use and that.

Silver_Wyrm
Oct 25, 2006, 12:15 PM
I'm shying from online until story's done, otherwise the vortex of oline play will draw me in and I'll never see the offline mode again (except on thursday)

rayis
Oct 25, 2006, 12:17 PM
I think it will be best to swicth between on/off line modes, that way you will take full advantage of both worlds. and im sure the story mode will teach you all kinds of things that will make your online play even better.

Numnuttz
Oct 25, 2006, 12:24 PM
my plan is if there is the halloween event i will go all out on online til i get the rares. but if its not there than ill just do story mode til i finish ch 3. that way ill have extra mode unlocked for later use and experimentaions on pms, weapons, or other stuff.

Callous
Oct 25, 2006, 12:26 PM
I still didn't get a straight reply to this question, so this thread seems like a good place to ask:

Can you use Expert Classes in Extra Mode? Yes or no from someone who knows for absolute sure, please!

To me, that will play a big part in how useful offline is.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Callous on 2006-10-25 10:27 ]</font>

Thrash777
Oct 25, 2006, 12:40 PM
Most people are saying that they will be playing the offline mode first, just because it looks really good!

Ryogen
Oct 25, 2006, 12:44 PM
On 2006-10-25 10:26, Callous wrote:
I still didn't get a straight reply to this question, so this thread seems like a good place to ask:

Can you use Expert Classes in Extra Mode? Yes or no from someone who knows for absolute sure, please!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Callous on 2006-10-25 10:27 ]</font>

I would assume you can in Extra Mode.

Flunky
Oct 25, 2006, 12:44 PM

I haven't played the game yet myself, but Rizen and others have stated multiple times that there are no expert classes offline- the basic classes also function much differently (see PSUpedia for details). Also, certain weapons (at least the axe and grenade launcher) simply don't exist offline at all.

Silver_Wyrm
Oct 25, 2006, 12:51 PM
On 2006-10-25 10:26, Callous wrote:

To my knowledge, no. The classes are just the mian three ranger force hunter. Extra mdoe does not have cards grenade launchers, or axes.

Extra mode characters have acclerated leveling and more available weapons eg: ranger can sue all guns at S rank (except nade launcher which isnt there) and even use other odd weapons for ranger such as Sword at B rank.

Personally, Im gonna use extra mode to see hwat weapons for hunter/ranger I like better, see if I liek the rifle/lazer cannons, or Dual handguns/machine guns etc. and decide my expert classes on what weapon styles I prefer.

Pandatron
Oct 25, 2006, 12:55 PM
Actually the only reason i got the NA JP version is so i didn't have to worry about this dilema. Straight to online i go once this patching completes and 1 hour lecture. Good timing for both ^_^.

Saikyn
Oct 25, 2006, 01:03 PM
On 2006-10-25 09:44, Saner wrote:
either way, both players in your example are just seeking bragging rights. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

I'll play offline story/extra whenever online is not available.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Saner on 2006-10-25 09:45 ]</font>

wordddddd

Callous
Oct 25, 2006, 01:14 PM
Thanks for all the replies! That's a major blunder, I think. No way of checking out Expert classes offline really blows.