PDA

View Full Version : Characters look like Michael Jackson statues until they load

PhantasyK2
Oct 25, 2006, 05:33 PM
ok - if you don't have the game yet and want to see what characters look like in the lobbies (pc and ps2 versions) this is pretty close:

http://www.7089.net/michael%20jackson%20history.jpg

Pretty sad that you have to 'wait' for characters to load - it really ruins the overall effect and looks silly until they load.

Ryoga4523
Oct 25, 2006, 05:34 PM
lol, unfortunately that was the same for the 360 beta... I was hoping that they were going to fix that issue. Are the people skipping everywhere too?

FenixStryk
Oct 25, 2006, 05:35 PM
MJ at his peak.
I always wondered why they did that whole clay thing, though. Didn't PSO just load it on the spot?

Akaimizu
Oct 25, 2006, 05:56 PM
Actually, that isn't something to fix. It's a really ingenious way to have everybody show up immediately. The alternative is to do it the FFXI way, in which until the whole model and textures load, those people don't show up at all. Many times, you can sit there quite a while before you actually see the people who really are there, especially around the Auction Houses.

In PSU, people show up right when you walk out there, and then as all the textures get loaded, they become their fully decked out forms. One reason why I like this method, is because the PSU warp graphics are very similar to it, and thus it feels more natural for this style of player-data loading. You can see everybody right away, especially with the option of seeing everybody's name above them.

Never thought of the Michael Jackson Hisstory reference. Now you're going to get me to wonder how to make my character do the moonwalk.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2006-10-25 15:58 ]</font>

Ryoga4523
Oct 25, 2006, 05:59 PM
That is a good idea... but do they still skip around?

DreamLocke
Oct 25, 2006, 06:01 PM
I personally like it...cool effect to hide pop-in.

Akaimizu
Oct 25, 2006, 06:01 PM
I would imagine, if uncontrollable internet lag hit; you'll see some skipping. However, since you can't have perfect internet connections to servers 100% of the time; I'd never believe that no skipping will happen.

chewydawg
Oct 25, 2006, 06:05 PM
i like the "mj's"
and do not like to skip

chewydawg
Oct 25, 2006, 06:07 PM
replace M jackson with m jordan.
if you did that like i did everything would be fine!!!

PhantasyK2
Oct 25, 2006, 08:09 PM
Yes, re: 'skipping' - the character animation is definitely not the most fluid...

I much, much, much prefer the way FFXI does it - having to wait for the character skins to load really ruins the online 'world' experience, IMO. Just flat out weird having everyone be this faceless statue and then all of a sudden <pop!> there they are....weird...

Kyuu
Oct 25, 2006, 08:47 PM
On 2006-10-25 18:09, PhantasyK2 wrote:

Yes, re: 'skipping' - the character animation is definitely not the most fluid...

I much, much, much prefer the way FFXI does it - having to wait for the character skins to load really ruins the online 'world' experience, IMO. Just flat out weird having everyone be this faceless statue and then all of a sudden <pop!> there they are....weird...
Well, everyone's preferances are different. To me, it's a whole lot more annoying being unable to see a character's model at all until it's loaded, and then they just <pop!> appear out of nowhere.

And I dunno what the heck you're talking about. The animation is simply amazing. Of course, I'm playing at 60 FPS with no slowdown.

Ecstasy
Oct 25, 2006, 08:50 PM
Well this game does have alot of underage charecters in it. Maybe micheal Jackson payed BIG BUCKS to have his statue in it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ecstasy on 2006-10-25 18:51 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ecstasy on 2006-10-25 18:51 ]</font>

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Oct 25, 2006, 08:51 PM
It was like running around and seeing gummy people in the beta.

Some were pink or green or grey.

PhantasyK2
Oct 26, 2006, 01:41 AM
"Gummy People" - LOL - that's a very good way to describe it!

I've gotten more used to it but it is still 'weird' and never before seen in an MMO/MMORPG

To the guy who has flawless animation: Congratulations - you need glasses. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif