PDA

View Full Version : English voice acting surprisingly... good?

Rubesahl
Oct 25, 2006, 09:36 PM
Though not something marvelous and perfect, I'm still surprised how well the dub does its job as to not being too intrusive. In fact I'm amazed at how good the translation was and how they didn't make up anything that wasn't there originally. Two thumbs up http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif I still haven't heard the battle voices though... we'll see...

Dein
Oct 25, 2006, 09:40 PM
I disagree. I'm finding that most of the time the voices in the offline story are poorly done and grating to listen to, which is usually the case with most games these days unfortunately.

MAGNUShunter
Oct 25, 2006, 09:42 PM
On 2006-10-25 19:36, Rubesahl wrote:
Though not something marvelous and perfect, I'm still surprised how well the dub does its job as to not being too intrusive. In fact I'm amazed at how good the translation was and how they didn't make up anything that wasn't there originally. Two thumbs up http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif I still haven't heard the battle voices though... we'll see...

I'm gonna have to agree. I find myself always switching my anime and games to japanese with subs when I can. I did not a strong urge to do so with psu's voiceovers....
so far. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

P4tta
Oct 25, 2006, 09:43 PM
deleted

Dunsanyu
Oct 25, 2006, 09:43 PM
On 2006-10-25 19:40, Dein wrote:
I disagree. I'm finding that most of the time the voices in the offline story are poorly done and grating to listen to, which is usually the case with most games these days unfortunately.

Agreed, I ended up skipping some of the cut scenes because the voice acting was just awful.

Ether
Oct 25, 2006, 09:46 PM
IMO the Japanese Dub was kind of bland, most of the characters came off flat. I'm liking the english dub so far, mostly because its not as awful as I'd figured it would be. Leo and Karen have the best voices, the rest are passable

-Crokar-
Oct 25, 2006, 09:46 PM
not to sound like a jerk or anything i dont care how bad voice acting is. i speak english and by god as long as i can understand it. i dont give a crap

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: -Crokar- on 2006-10-25 19:47 ]</font>

FenixStryk
Oct 25, 2006, 09:49 PM
Looks like things aren't so bad after all! Good to know, guys.

CaptainJebus
Oct 25, 2006, 09:50 PM
Honestly, so far the only voice I hate is Ethans, he just sounds like he is always in Monotone. =/

johnnydarko1
Oct 25, 2006, 09:51 PM
I've heard some samples of the English voice acting and I must say, it could be far worse.

Rider
Oct 25, 2006, 09:53 PM
It's pretty decent. I've seen worse. Although I do notice that sometimes they are talking and their mouth isn't moving, just for like a second though so it's not bad at all. I don't think anything could get worse then that moment in FFX where that guy talked and said a few words and his mouth kept on moving for a good 5+ seconds with no voice coming out.

I am wondering if the english psu will have the option of japanese or english voices for your character though online. I'm doubting it but it would still be a neat option in my opinion.

Flamingo99
Oct 25, 2006, 09:59 PM
Its nothing great. Ethan's voice, I think, is horrible. I have no idea what kind of accent he has. It sounds Irish at points, at other times he has a Japanese-like accent, and other times he sounds muffled and hollow.

McLaughlin
Oct 25, 2006, 10:06 PM
On 2006-10-25 19:46, -Crokar- wrote:
not to sound like a jerk or anything i dont care how bad voice acting is. i speak english and by god as long as i can understand it. i dont give a crap

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: -Crokar- on 2006-10-25 19:47 ]</font>

Here here!

GyroidFanatic
Oct 25, 2006, 10:09 PM
Sometimes Ethan sounds like a Singapore dub (still English though) of Digimon I saw on Youtube >_>

Dein
Oct 25, 2006, 10:09 PM
Ethan's voice by far is the worst in this game I've heard so far. I know that the voice acting could be much worse but this game's VA is still bad. I wouldn't venture to call it mediocre until I hear more voices but the ones I've heard so far do a bad job half the time at displaying the emotion a character should be feeling in scenes.

Valdemar
Oct 25, 2006, 10:32 PM
Nothing will be as wince inducing or mind-annihlating as the dubbing on Mega Man 8.

Nothing.

Castelak
Oct 25, 2006, 10:34 PM
Actually, I think the voices are pretty good all-around. Ethan's voice is different, but I think it suits his character well, at least so far that's what I believe.

Frog
Oct 25, 2006, 10:42 PM
Is there an option for Japanese with English subtitles?

Sexy_Raine
Oct 25, 2006, 10:48 PM
The voices are okay, except Ethan's. His voice is horrible. The english voices overall are definately better than some other game I've played. Virtua Fighter 4's voices are far worse.

DoubleJG
Oct 25, 2006, 11:09 PM
Voices = Acceptably pleasing. I love it. Ethan however could've been a bit better.

watashiwa
Oct 25, 2006, 11:21 PM
I'm fine with the English voice acting... the old character clip was just as Parn said.. random clips inserted over scenes that they didn't belong.. made it sound worse than it actually is.

The dub is pretty tolerable... =)

JaiBlue
Oct 25, 2006, 11:57 PM
You guys are trippin Ethan's voice is fine, besides it's not like your listening to nick lachey's voice on the japanese version either. >_<

Genobee
Oct 26, 2006, 12:02 AM
Oviously the people who think PSU dub probly think Naruto's dub is good. Seriously this dub is awful, the voices are off and awkward and there sound extremly annoying. Just another reason I don't wanna play story mode

FenixStryk
Oct 26, 2006, 12:04 AM
With all the dubbing praise, I'm interested to see what the Jap voices are. Any YouTube links to the US or JP voices??

Kupi
Oct 26, 2006, 12:11 AM
Ethan's voice gives me the impression that he's a vapid airhead surfer-boy who things swinging swords around is a cool way to spend his life. And since that's pretty much what he *is*, I have no objections.

FenixStryk
Oct 26, 2006, 12:24 AM
On 2006-10-25 22:11, Kupi wrote:
Ethan's voice gives me the impression that he's a vapid airhead surfer-boy who thinks swinging swords around is a cool way to spend his life. And since that's pretty much what he *is*, I have no objections.LOL. That's good info to know in advance. =]

JaiBlue
Oct 26, 2006, 12:35 AM
http://www.gamespot.com/pages/video_player/popup.php?sid=6133422&pid=916726 Still think japanese vioces are better? >_>

FenixStryk
Oct 26, 2006, 12:38 AM
On 2006-10-25 22:35, JaiBlue wrote:
http://www.gamespot.com/pages/video_player/popup.php?sid=6133422&pid=916726 Still think japanese vioces are better? >_>With a couple exceptions... the voices sound exactly the same. o_o;;

IzaneI
Oct 26, 2006, 12:44 AM
I havent heard them yet but... They better not be as bad as the english version of Naruto.
Lots of the time the voices are good like Naruto's but the words are just SOOOO BAD. Like the english actor's voice for Naruto is less high pitch as the Japanese guy but the words "beleive it" made me stop watching the english eps.

maybe its the same way with Ethan, some ppl like it others dont. maybe those who like it arent listening to the choice of words and just the sound.

JaiBlue
Oct 26, 2006, 12:56 AM
On 2006-10-25 22:44, IzaneI wrote:
I havent heard them yet but... They better not be as bad as the english version of Naruto.
Lots of the time the voices are good like Naruto's but the words are just SOOOO BAD. Like the english actor's voice for Naruto is less high pitch as the Japanese guy but the words "beleive it" made me stop watching the english eps.

maybe its the same way with Ethan, some ppl like it others dont. maybe those who like it arent listening to the choice of words and just the sound.

I kinda got annoyed at the VA for naruto too, but now it grows on me so I really don't mind it any more. Now about the "believe it" phrase you guys have to understand that naruto uses variations of "Dattebyo" in almost every sentence in the japanese version. It's his way of ending a sentence kinda like Reno when he say's yo or Ria from Kingdom Hearts 2 when he says ya'know. No matter what they put in the last 2 mouth syllables of "dattebyo" or "believe it" its always going to be annoying given to the fact that naruto says it practically 75% of any given time.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: JaiBlue on 2006-10-25 23:12 ]</font>

Miyoko
Oct 26, 2006, 01:13 AM
I'm finding that I really like the english dub more than the japanese dub. I've only heard some of them so far, but I'm finding that I enjoy them more than the JP ones.

... Except the sounds your teamates make when you level up...

watashiwa
Oct 26, 2006, 01:19 AM
On 2006-10-25 23:13, Miyoko wrote:

Which is basically, "Wow".

Sleet_v2
Oct 26, 2006, 01:21 AM
no...not watashiwa again.. NOOOOOO

Miyoko
Oct 26, 2006, 01:22 AM
On 2006-10-25 23:19, watashiwa wrote:

On 2006-10-25 23:13, Miyoko wrote:

Which is basically, "Wow".

Not in chapter one. It was more along the lines of "DURRRR" and "Uhaww!"

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Miyoko on 2006-10-25 23:22 ]</font>

Ryogen
Oct 26, 2006, 01:25 AM
I haven't herd that, but I wouldn't complain about voicing. If you say japanese is better and you don't know japanese then a cliff will be avaliable to jump off off.

bleyzwun
Oct 26, 2006, 01:25 AM
the english is horrible... i think i couldve done a better job doing all the acting lol.

watashiwa
Oct 26, 2006, 01:29 AM
On 2006-10-25 23:22, Miyoko wrote:

Well, the Vol Brothers are retarded anyway and don't count. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

JaiBlue
Oct 26, 2006, 01:31 AM
On 2006-10-25 23:29, watashiwa wrote:

On 2006-10-25 23:22, Miyoko wrote:

Well, the Vol Brothers are retarded anyway and don't count. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

I EFFIN HATE HIRU VOL!!!

daylight129
Oct 26, 2006, 02:46 AM
I like Ethan's voice http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif. And on the whole I think the voice acting is superbly done. I mean, if you want to split hairs, it's definetly more engrossing than some other games I've played.

Rizen
Oct 26, 2006, 03:21 AM
Personally, I think the english voice acting is just fine.
Too many people set their expectations too high when translating and dubbing things. You are never going to be able to match the voice of the other language and you wont always get the same feel when they say things from one version to another. Would you be able to match the personality of someone you hear in Japanese under the pressure that millions of people think its going to suck anyway?
Granted that sega doesnt always use professional voices actors (have they yet? none of them stands out to me...), I think they did a pretty good job. Some of them are probably getting a jump start on a career in voice acting and everyone needs somewhere to start.
As for the Naruto dubbing...its fine as is...theres only VERY few voices that are off...main and not so important.

Roken
Oct 26, 2006, 04:05 AM
Why is the main character's voice always screwed up... I havent actually played the game yet, however I've seen some cutscenes of the offline mode. So far.. I could say his voice was decent but I need to see it on a larger scale to hope its not as bad as everyone says it is...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Roken on 2006-10-26 02:07 ]</font>

Lythandas
Oct 26, 2006, 04:20 AM
Once you get into it, its very enjoyable. I don't even think about or notice it anymore past chapter 1.

UltraDeeDer
Oct 26, 2006, 04:46 AM
I just know that the Vol Trio (http://www.pso-world.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=2373) is gonna be fruity. Strange japanese humour never translates well into english. Why does the ONE dark skinned person in the game have BLOND hair? It looks so unnatural. Even more than that pink haired person.

Rizen
Oct 26, 2006, 04:57 AM
I decided to make a clip of a cutscene in Chapter 4. Its basically when you first meet the Headmaster. For those of you who dont like watching Story Mode cutscenes, dont watch. Other than that, enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpmeiCKHhO0
(Note: Might take a few mins for it to be available, also some of the off-ness might be because of my computer slowing down.)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rizen on 2006-10-26 02:59 ]</font>

Augustine
Oct 26, 2006, 07:49 AM
Yeah, I was surprised, too. The voice acting is actually pretty decent.

Frog
Oct 26, 2006, 08:22 AM
Again, does the US version of Phantasty Star Universe have an option for Japanese with English subtitles?

Valdemar
Oct 26, 2006, 08:40 AM
On 2006-10-26 06:22, Frog wrote:
Again, does the US version of Phantasty Star Universe have an option for Japanese with English subtitles?

I didn't see anything for it in the options menu.

Frog
Oct 26, 2006, 08:45 AM
On 2006-10-26 06:40, Valdemar wrote:

On 2006-10-26 06:22, Frog wrote:

I didn't see anything for it in the options menu.

Thanks!

-memoru-
Oct 26, 2006, 08:52 AM
Good to hear that the English dub is decent at least. Nothing worse than drab VA or a forced script. ~_~ If i had to take that, might as well have no VA(remembers FFX "laughing" scene). AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAA~!!!

Valdemar
Oct 26, 2006, 08:53 AM
[/quote]
Thanks!

[/quote]

No prob yo.

Axel3792
Oct 26, 2006, 08:57 AM
I don't like the whole voice-flange-behind-a-door thing.

*Case in Point* - Ethan, when in the dressing room, has a very odd effect. So does his sister when she is trapped behind the rocks.