PDA

View Full Version : Graphics (PC)

Markuswaters
Oct 26, 2006, 01:37 AM
Is there any way to up the graphics on my PC?

I have a Radeon X1950XTX... and it seems to be going to waste...

I also wanted to know what "LOD" settings are in the custom graphics settings.

Sorry if that is an obvious question...

Sev
Oct 26, 2006, 01:39 AM
You can get as high as it'll let you go, and that's it.

It's not really a waste as long as your not getting any kinda graphical issues in my opinion. That's just me though, I'm easily satisfied and entertained.

I don't know what "LOD" is either really, I just slapped it onto "High End" and got online.

Elleranda
Oct 26, 2006, 01:41 AM
I'm not really sure why people are complaining about PC graphics. o.o; Things look pretty great with my PC on max.

Markuswaters
Oct 26, 2006, 01:43 AM
Oh, dont get me wrong, I am not complaining.

I just wanted to know if there was a way to up them that much more, like FFXI.

The graphics look great, I just know form experience that my card can do a heck of a lot better.

Sev
Oct 26, 2006, 01:44 AM
Meh... It's just a matter of opinion really. I'm fine with what I'm seeing, but I've already basically accepted the game as what it is.

I just enjoy playing and that's about it, although it's breaking my heart that I can't get on right now. There's always tomorrow heh. I haven't really had any graphical problems though, no slowdown, nothin... So I'm really very happy about how it's performing.

Verotosgetics
Oct 26, 2006, 01:46 AM
I havnt even been able to make a character... DRIVING ME NUTZ

Elleranda
Oct 26, 2006, 01:47 AM
On 2006-10-25 23:43, Markuswaters wrote:
Oh, dont get me wrong, I am not complaining.

I just wanted to know if there was a way to up them that much more, like FFXI.

The graphics look great, I just know form experience that my card can do a heck of a lot better.

You can't turn iron into platinum by polishing it, sadly.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Elleranda on 2006-10-25 23:49 ]</font>

Verotosgetics
Oct 26, 2006, 01:47 AM
I havnt even been able to make a character... DRIVING ME NUTZ

Markuswaters
Oct 26, 2006, 01:49 AM
lol...

If i was experiencing slowdowns on THIS computer i would cry either glitch or virus or something.

My compy is teh roxor, and PSU requires very little of it to run. Which is nice when i get tired of the in-game music, cause i can listen to Mahler or Holst. (You would be amazed how well "Mars: Bringer of War" by Gustav Holst matches up with the combat in this game...)

Sev
Oct 26, 2006, 01:52 AM
I've had a hiccup once. Don't know where it came from, but it went away within 2 seconds. It wasn't like there was a massive amount of enemies or anything, so it was probably just something in the background slowing everything down... My Yahoo tends to do that sometimes, probably because there's somethin wrong with my PC. Graphically it looks and runs fine though, I can blame stuff on everything BUT my card and RAM. My processor isn't that great though.

Elleranda
Oct 26, 2006, 02:02 AM
On 2006-10-25 23:52, Sev wrote:
I've had a hiccup once. Don't know where it came from, but it went away within 2 seconds. It wasn't like there was a massive amount of enemies or anything, so it was probably just something in the background slowing everything down... My Yahoo tends to do that sometimes, probably because there's somethin wrong with my PC. Graphically it looks and runs fine though, I can blame stuff on everything BUT my card and RAM. My processor isn't that great though.

Medium processer mixed with high RAM amounts to hiccups while everything loads and then goes back to running smoothly.

Sev
Oct 26, 2006, 02:09 AM
Probably what it was. My Processor isn't bad, but it's not that great... I've though about upgrading it but meh... It's not really needed just yet. It's nice to know that though, it explains a few things that have always bugged me heh. Thanks for the info.

inferno10
Oct 26, 2006, 02:10 AM
Only thing I can imagine LOD standing for is Level of Detail.

Markuswaters
Oct 26, 2006, 04:47 AM
Dang... the LOD high-end to 64 actually makes a huge difference. thanks for your input!^^

Losodo1976
Oct 26, 2006, 04:54 AM
On 2006-10-25 23:37, Markuswaters wrote:
Is there any way to up the graphics on my PC?

I have a Radeon X1950XTX... and it seems to be going to waste...

I also wanted to know what "LOD" settings are in the custom graphics settings.

Sorry if that is an obvious question...

LOD is "Level Of Detail". It's something a game engine does to conserve calculations, mostly in the terrain engine but it's done on game objects, too. It's just a way to dynamically adjust how many polygons make up an object, depending on the object's distance from the camera.

Edit: Far away = less polys, close = more polys.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Losodo1976 on 2006-10-26 02:55 ]</font>

pkazama
Oct 26, 2006, 06:09 AM
I remember in a Sony PS3 show, some guy demonstrating the possibilities of PS3 said "it has LOD, which means lots of ducks" har har
But yeah i was wondering what LOD was, if it meant lots of ducks then i tohught it was suppose to be better since they compared it with one duck.
Thanks for the info