PDA

View Full Version : How's the PC version run on 56k (Dial-Up)?

xenokai
Oct 26, 2006, 04:19 AM
I know im not the only one ive seen 5 or 6 people asking about the pacth that are on dial up.... Im gonna update it before i purchase a license but can anyone confirm how it runs on dial up?

(time to flame me even tho i havent (asked) about dial up on psu for nearly 2 month's...)

BrandonBa2
Oct 26, 2006, 04:20 AM
Lagorific. It says broadband only on the box.

xenokai
Oct 26, 2006, 04:24 AM
the xbox 360 beta with voice chat did to but i still played on there PWWWWNNNED lmao

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Oct 26, 2006, 04:45 AM
A broadband connection to the internet is strongly recommended for both versions, and listed as the minimum requirement by Sega Direct. 56k may of course be feasible, although you put yourself prone to 'lag', and slow download times. (http://www.pso-world.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=2368)

Expect it to play nearly identical to your time with dial up on the Xbox Beta.

And over here:
Patches can get pretty big compared to phone line DL speed. (http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=123091&forum=20)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HAYABUSA-FMW- on 2006-10-26 02:50 ]</font>

Dakai
Oct 26, 2006, 07:39 AM
Yeah those minimum requirements goes for all three platforms...which sucks but hey, thats the price for better graphics and gameplay. but since whenever your around npc's they dissapear, maybe the lag wont be as bad like as in over games like EQ2 and WOW.

otakuP7
Oct 26, 2006, 07:46 AM
You cant play 360 with dial up anyways. You wont make it through Sign in.

So in that instance it is a requirement

Disa
Oct 26, 2006, 07:56 AM
Actually you can use dial-up with a 360. Live doesn't do speed tests on the connection. If you network your 360 through your computer, you can connect with dial-up.

otakuP7
Oct 26, 2006, 07:59 AM
Really?, When me and my friends played around with it we never got passed the Live auto config OR sign in, this was on a Network with an additional Laptop.

Disa
Oct 26, 2006, 08:05 AM
Must have been some settings that weren't set right for you, but I've been connected to Live on 56k multiple times now without problems. I even played the 360 PSU beta on it.

otakuP7
Oct 26, 2006, 08:08 AM
Lol sounds like another excuse to tie up a phone line for no reason http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Must Experiment MORE!!!!

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Ryna
Oct 26, 2006, 09:03 AM
I haven't tried the final PC version on a dialup connection yet.

I figure the patch size would be a fairly big deterrent for most people.

xenokai
Oct 26, 2006, 09:58 AM
100 megs isnt to much ffxi had bigger patchs xD plus that prob a graphicale fix and not a update.... No if the server would come back so i can play lol

hawkzer0
Oct 26, 2006, 02:13 PM
well, if the 360 version is able to connect with dial-up, then i wonder if the ps2 version is as well? does anyone know if this is possible?

Disastorm
Oct 26, 2006, 02:51 PM
dial up should take over 5 hours to update (at least the pc version)

Disa
Oct 26, 2006, 02:52 PM
You can use the same methods to get a PS2 to connect to dial up as an Xbox360.

You will need a crossover cable (cat 5 cable) and a Network Interface card (NIC).

Install the NIC into your PC and set up the drivers for it. Then you'll want to go into Start > Settings > Network Connections and set up the NIC in there under LAN if it isn't already. While in Network connections, right click on your 56k connection and chose the advanced tab. There should be an option called Internet Connection Sharing (ICS). Check the first box that says "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's connection." Now run the crossover cable from your NIC to your PS2's ethernet port (not the 56k port).

That should be it and you can then connect to the PC's 56k connection from your PS2 and it will be treated as if it was broadband. This does not make it a broadband connection, but tricks the PS2 into thinking there is one.

I've seen mention in various places of alternate ways to do this as well using routers, but this is the method I use and it works.

xenokai
Oct 26, 2006, 03:12 PM
Hey Disa are you getting the ps2 or 360 version? if ps2 how well does it run on dial up for you? i got the pc version but havent made account yet still playing with story mode lol