PDA

View Full Version : required mem card space for PS2 version

Shiro_Ryuu
Oct 26, 2006, 06:57 AM
edit: nevermind this thread, just found out that it was like 2680 kb of space required.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shiroryuu on 2006-10-26 05:00 ]</font>

Percival
Oct 26, 2006, 07:23 AM
I wonder how they will fit the bigger updates on the PS2 Memory card. Didn't the PC version just went through a 100-200MB update? Maybe the PC version will need more updates since it's intended to run on innumerable hardware configurations?

McLaughlin
Oct 26, 2006, 08:38 AM
Most of the updates are done server-side, so nothing gigantic will be put on a PS2 memory card.

That being said, you can only do so much with 8 MB of space. (Less usually, for anyone who's ever played SOCOM I >_>)

Dingo
Oct 26, 2006, 08:44 AM
Maybe future updates will utilise usb hard-drives for PS2. Sonic Team would be wise to have implemented such a future, you can never predict what kind of updates might be necessary. It just isn't true that everything in the game can be patched server side or that client-side patches will always be smaller than 8mb.

Dakai
Oct 26, 2006, 09:00 AM
Exactly what I was thinking Dingo, The Hard-drives have way more than enough space for all updates, im pretty sure thats what sega's doing.

McLaughlin
Oct 26, 2006, 09:02 AM
Sony dropped their Hard Drive support because the Slimline PS2 can't make use of it. That's why Sega stuck to Memory Cards.

LordHakutsuru
Oct 26, 2006, 09:03 AM
Guys get real, you know PS2 won't have to update 200MB files to their Memory Card.

Dakai
Oct 26, 2006, 09:05 AM
well what-ever the case, this better not affect what new patches and add-ons we get in the future. I swear if I see that my friend who is playing pc gets an update that we ps2 gamers dont get, im complaining

McLaughlin
Oct 26, 2006, 09:08 AM
It was your choice of platform, you'd be the only one at fault.

Like I said, there's only so much you can do with 8 megs of breathing room.

LordHakutsuru
Oct 26, 2006, 09:08 AM
Yo Zeta, I paid 20$ for a used Memory Card, 20$ for 8MB cmon now...

McLaughlin
Oct 26, 2006, 09:10 AM
Your point?

8 MB Memory Card + 8 MB Memory Card =/= 16 MB Memory Card.

They don't stack. Sega has 8 MB of space to work with, and that's all there is to it.

Dakai
Oct 26, 2006, 09:11 AM
maybe sega will release a memory card with larger room specifically for the ps2 psu...its possible, ive seem it done in the past with other games

McLaughlin
Oct 26, 2006, 09:13 AM
What other games?

The only "special" memory unit I ever recall being released was the Hard Drive, which was used almost exclusively for FFXI. It has since become obsolete.

LordHakutsuru
On 2006-10-26 04:57, Shiroryuu wrote:
edit: nevermind this thread, just found out that it was like 2680 kb of space required.

This thread is a joke. Who would pay 20$ for 8MB? LOL.

LordHakutsuru
Metal Saga................................... LOL.

Dakai
Oct 26, 2006, 09:16 AM
i meant that game companies have made system mods specifically for certain games in the past, one exaple is the broadbamd adapter for pso on gc and, like you said, FFXI and its use of the hard drive

FAHR-3NH317
Oct 26, 2006, 10:34 AM
there was one major update for FFXI, with the new areas and some new classes. They wont be able to do anything like that without a hard-drive.

For PSU however, they might have a few areas locked on the disk that they could open with a code, and they create new quests for us every week I think. Some fresh content is available, so thats cool.

Trey_Winters
Oct 26, 2006, 11:12 AM
I believe that the problem stems from the fact that not everyone has access to the hard drive. As was stated earlier, the new slim PS2's don't have it, and there's no guarantee that every old PS2 has one either. I know that two of the four people I'm playin' PSU with don't have the HDD.

As much as it does kinda suck that they don't use it, I can see why. You limit your customer base, and in business, that's not such a smart idea. If the slim PS2's had it installed or allowed it to be, then they probably would utilize it, but as it stands right now, it's somewhat of a deterrent. Nobody wants to use it, because of that fact. Again, it sucks, but that's just how it is...