PDA

View Full Version : Guide to ideal battle PMs, NPCs and soloing.

-Shimarisu-
Oct 27, 2006, 02:11 AM
Here's a handy guide for the most useful way to exploit your battle PMs and NPCs in solo mode.

First off this guide should be used for your main, that you intend to do any soloing on. PMs created on your main might be a little gimped synthing wise, it's always a good idea to make at least two PMs on other character slots that are pure in one area. That area being POW if you are a Hunter of some sort, DEX if you are a Ranger and MIND if you are a Force, and the other pure PM that EVERYBODY should have is the DEF PM. Armor costs a lot in PSU and the failure rate is depressing. However if you intend to use all your characters for soloing or playing in small groups at some point, matching the pure PMs to the ideal character is going to help a lot. Firstly to get this out of the way, here are what the pure PMs will turn into.

If your PM is pure DEX, it will become GH-430, a Ranger PM. This is the easiest pure PM to make, simply by feeding traps from the shop that cost a mere 100 meseta.

If your PM is pure DEF, it will become GH-440, a Ranger PM. This is the second easiest pure PM to make, simply by feeding it cast parts stripped from new characters.

If your PM is pure POW, it will become GH-410, a Hunter PM. This is the second hardest and expensive pure PM to make, the best way is to feed it 1-3 star melee weapons found/bought/synthed yourself and 5 star curative items/food items to lower MIND, which offer the best pow/mind ratio for the job.

If your PM is pure MIND, it will become GH-450, a Force PM. This is the hardest and most expensive pure PM to make, requiring force weapons and tech disks to feed. Curative items and food raise POW by too high a ration and have to be reduced a great deal. If you are NOT going to be a Fortetecher a pure version of this PM is not recommended at all. It will cost well over a million meseta and isn't cost effective for synthing items for even Wartechers and Guntechers as the FO weaps they can equip are limited. For a cheap and easy non-pure alternative check the folowing guide : http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=122850&forum=22&24

With that out of the way here's the guide to ideal BATTLE PMs for each class. Your battle PM may not be needed for synthing items. But it will be useful in soloing and on low capacity parties, and should not be dismissed as a useless NPC.

Wartecher

First off I'll cover the Wartecher, as this is PSU's most versatile class. There really isn't a race best suited at Wartecher as they'll all end up with different methods of play, beasts and cast being concentrated melee with a hint of support, newmen being concentrated support and nuking with a hint of melee, and human being smack in the middle. Because of this there's a variety of recommendations to be made for your PM.

Beast Wartechers should go for the ranger PM. If you aren't using a ranger as a secondary character, make it the defense based ranger, GH-440. That way you can make an easy pure stat DEF PM, and synth up armour for all your characters. If you ARE using a ranger as a secondary, make it the easy DEX based ranger, GH-430.

Bast wartecher is a great class for solo. The Ranger PM will stun enemies which seems to not only stop them attacking, but lower their evade, making up for your low ATA. The NPC in question is Leo, arguably the best NPC available as he will nanoblast a lot. While in nanoblast you can heal him, you're a wartecher!

This character could solo A rank relics quickly at the LOWEST qualifying level (35) with the PM and NPC.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j104/shirubania/wartechercombo.jpg

If you are a CAST wartecher, your ATA is a lot higher and your ATP is lower. A ranger PM is still a good idea for the stun factor, but a melee PM is also good. it also depends on your method of play. Bear in mind your NPC is Lou - a Fighguner - arguably a mostly Hunter character so you may want to go for a ranger PM to even it out a bit.

Human wartechers also get a choice, but here the ATP is lower overall. The TAP is also much higher than cast and beast, so healing potential is higher. they should choose a melee based PM (410 or 420) as their PM. If you're a Fortefighter or Fighgunner on another character, here is the opportunity to make a pure pow 410 or your artecher to synth up melee weapons for both your wartecher and other character. The NPC in question is Hyuga, who I THINK is also a wartecher as he both melees and occassionally restas. He's the least useful NPC in my opinion for this class, but you take what you can get - it would be better to go with Leia Martinez when episode 2 comes to US servers and you receive her card.

Fortefighter

Fortefighters of any kind should go for the 450, the healing PM. If you are a PURE force on another character, make your 450 pure MIND if you can afford it, for synthing. A 450 PM will keep you and your NPC healed. With this in mind the best race for soloing on a Fortefighter is beast, as Leo will also go into nanoblast form and be healed by your PM.

Fighgunner

Again, the 450 for the same reasons. With ATA and ATP in mind, the best class for solo here is the cast, purely because your stats will just be the highest they can go. Lou is also a Fighgunner and will fight melee-style alongside you, meaning the PM will stay close and resta.

Guntecher

A GUNTECHER'S TECHS SUCK! However, they are still great to have around for resta. PMs rarely get blasted all to hell by a flurry of attacks, they have high HP, meaning you can let their bar go low, take them to one side and resta them. In the guntecher's case, over and over again. But it's still effective for you, so as a ranger with lower power than a forte, your clear choice here is a melee based PM, GH-410 or GH-420, depending on preference. Remember GH-420 can never be pure in any one stat, so use your other characters to determine which is best to choose as your melee PM. This goes for every race of guntecher.

The best solo guntecher is the cast, accompanied as they are by Lou, a fighgunner and a mostly HU class. Other races will have a harder time.

Fortegunner

This is the worst class for solo play. It's a hard choice really, as your damage will be low as a ranger, and you can't resta a melee PM. So the ideal PM would be melee if you intend to party with forces a lot, or a GH-450 (force) PM if not. YOu are still going to have a harder time soloing than any other class. I'd like to say the best race for soloing as Fortegunner is human, as they get Hyuga and he restas, but he DOESN'T DO IT NEARLY ENOUGH! Perhaps Maya would be better, but a Fortegunner newman is clearly a waste of their TAP potential.

Fortetecher

The best PM here would technically melee, but if you're an all out nuker you may want to consider the RA based PMs. This is the most verstaile class in terms of a good PM to pick. I'm really not sure what would be best, but obviously you don't want 450 as a battle PM here. Let your decision rest on what items you want to synth for your other characters. Also you can constantly resta any NPC that comes along, so you aren't really in for a hard time whatever you pick. IMO though a Fortetecher should always be a newman. It's a little wasted on other races.

Protranser

I don't know shit about this class, and I don't think I want to.

Mike
Oct 27, 2006, 02:26 AM
Good stuff.

SephYuyX
Oct 27, 2006, 07:52 AM
So.. what im reading here is..

Since im a Beast fighter (will be fortefighter) I should make a pure MND for curing?
Is making a pure POW and bringing curing items not recommended?

Assuming I make a pure MND on my main, it would be wise to make a pure POW on an alt for synthing purposes I suppose? And a DEF one on another?

I can see where you comming from with making a healer PM for battle situations, but as long as you carry around enough healing items, wouldnt it be ok to go pure POW instead?

Though.. I guess theres no way to heal a pure POW PM as you cant heal them without a tech? so it would have to have some MND to cure themselves?

Hmmmm

Also.. lets say I want to make a pure POW PM, but I want it to be able to cure itself, how much MND will it need it to cure itself? And how much will that hurt synthing stuff?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SephirothYuyX on 2006-10-27 07:22 ]</font>

kirinano
Oct 27, 2006, 09:02 AM
-Shimarisu-, thank you so much for writing this up!

I'm not sure I'll do EXACTLY what you suggest, but just to have something this detailed is very appreciated. I was hoping to find something this thoughtful on PM's to help me plan out what I'm going to do.

Ravij
Oct 27, 2006, 09:56 AM
Excellent info, thanks!

DrewSeleski
Oct 27, 2006, 10:20 AM
On 2006-10-27 05:52, SephirothYuyX wrote:

Since im a Beast fighter (will be fortefighter) I should make a pure MND for curing?

Assuming I make a pure MND on my main, it would be wise to make a pure POW on an alt for synthing purposes I suppose? And a DEF one on another?

I can see where you comming from with making a healer PM for battle situations, but as long as you carry around enough healing items, wouldnt it be ok to go pure POW instead?

Though.. I guess theres no way to heal a pure POW PM as you cant heal them without a tech? so it would have to have some MND to cure themselves?

Hmmmm

Also.. lets say I want to make a pure POW PM, but I want it to be able to cure itself, how much MND will it need it to cure itself? And how much will that hurt synthing stuff?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SephirothYuyX on 2006-10-27 07:22 ]</font>
she is not suggesting you make a pure mind pm, she is suggesting you make a mind pm with the lowest mind possible and the highest pow possible for it which is 30 mind 70 power. In order to get this to evolve to a mind pm you just have to raise the mind first and then the power

Spellbinder
Oct 27, 2006, 11:36 AM
Fortetecher

The best PM here would technically melee, but if you're an all out nuker you may want to consider the RA based PMs. This is the most verstaile class in terms of a good PM to pick. I'm really not sure what would be best, but obviously you don't want 450 as a battle PM here. Let your decision rest on what items you want to synth for your other characters. Also you can constantly resta any NPC that comes along, so you aren't really in for a hard time whatever you pick. IMO though a Fortetecher should always be a newman. It's a little wasted on other races.

I'm going to have to disagree with you here on a Fortecher not wanting a GH-450. I raised one and wouldn't have it any other way. I'm guessing your logic for choosing a PM has to deal with how they'll assist you when you're solo, and quite frankly, I wouldn't want any other PM with me if I'm trying to solo.

If for instance I had a GH-410 or GH-420 which primarily melees, if you'd think they would tank for you, the logic for this seems flawed to me. Monster AI isn't like PSO where they'll just swing at whatever's closest. They're going to go after whoever is doing damage to them, and if a Fortecher starts using Ra- or Gi- Technics, all eyes will be on you. So, you could either A.) have a melee PM trying to pick one or two off of you, or B.) have a GH-450 that can use area attacks, jellen, and even help heal you when you start to take hits.

And on top of this if you go pure mind, it gives you the best chance of synthesizing Force weaponry, so it's a win win situation. Furthermore, it won't cost you well over a million meseta to raise one pure, although it does cost alot.

(100 Lvs * 100 points per Lv) = 10000 points for Lv 100

10000 points for Lv 100 / 6 points per Technic disk fed = 1667 feedings

1667 feedings * 500 meseta per Technic disk fed = 833,500 meseta for Lv 100 pure Mind.

-Shimarisu-
Oct 27, 2006, 12:32 PM
On 2006-10-27 09:36, Spellbinder wrote:

Fortetecher

I'm going to have to disagree with you here on a Fortecher not wanting a GH-450. I raised one and wouldn't have it any other way. I'm guessing your logic for choosing a PM has to deal with how they'll assist you when you're solo, and quite frankly, I wouldn't want any other PM with me if I'm trying to solo.

If for instance I had a GH-410 or GH-420 which primarily melees, if you'd think they would tank for you, the logic for this seems flawed to me. Monster AI isn't like PSO where they'll just swing at whatever's closest. They're going to go after whoever is doing damage to them, and if a Fortecher starts using Ra- or Gi- Technics, all eyes will be on you. So, you could either A.) have a melee PM trying to pick one or two off of you, or B.) have a GH-450 that can use area attacks, jellen, and even help heal you when you start to take hits.

And on top of this if you go pure mind, it gives you the best chance of synthesizing Force weaponry, so it's a win win situation. Furthermore, it won't cost you well over a million meseta to raise one pure, although it does cost alot.

(100 Lvs * 100 points per Lv) = 10000 points for Lv 100

10000 points for Lv 100 / 6 points per Technic disk fed = 1667 feedings

1667 feedings * 500 meseta per Technic disk fed = 833,500 meseta for Lv 100 pure Mind.

I have a 410. It does tank. The question of how effectively isn't really an issue. The point is, it tanks and HOLDS STUFF OFF while you can shoot at a relative distance. This to me seems more useful than another nuking FO when you're a nuking FO yourself.

I don't care about something casting resta on my FO character. Nor do I care about a pure mind PM - my FO character is a wartecher. It's a waste of money synthing for yourself when all you can equip are purchasable A rank wands - like I say, pure mind is a waste of money UNLESS you are a pure FO.

I wouldn't say everyone needs 450. You cannot have 450 on every character either, it's a waste of potential synthing. It's up to people if they'd rather have 450 or a tank. This guide will match up good PMs to differrent characters. If you have 3 or 4 you should follow it. If you have a FO and a HU, your FO PM should not be on your FO.

-Shimarisu-
Oct 27, 2006, 12:35 PM
On 2006-10-27 05:52, SephirothYuyX wrote:

You make 450 on your Beast character (as Drew said, with 70 POW if you're not using a fortetecher in another char slot.)

You go for a more pure POW PM for synthing on another character.
Hell, a dummy character if you only want to play as the one.

Spellbinder
Oct 27, 2006, 12:40 PM
I don't care about something casting resta on my FO character. Nor do I care about a pure mind PM - my FO character is a wartecher. It's a waste of money synthing for yourself when all you can equip are purchasable A rank wands - like I say, pure mind is a waste of money UNLESS you are a pure FO.

1.) My post was an opinion on the GH-450 for a Fortecher, of course a Wartecher isn't going to want a Mind PM, they literally can't use half the stuff a GH-450 specalizes in synthesizing.

2.) It's not a waste synthing the current 8 star Rods costing you roughly 90-100k a piece when player shops are selling them for 180k. You can't buy those in stores, end of story.

You're also contradicting yourself when you say pure mind is a waste unless you're a pure FO, then turn around and say your FO shouldn't have a FO PM at the end of your post. And of course everyone isn't going to need a 450, but don't knock it and say it's a waste because it's not. You've obviously played alot as a Wartecher and have given your advice on a PM, so I'm giving my advice having played a Fortecher with a GH-450.

Inazuma
Oct 27, 2006, 12:49 PM
ive played 500 hours of psu and i have seen every pm in battle. the 450 is the ideal pm for EVERY char, hands down. none of the npcs cast resta or jellen as well as it does, but many of em are good tanks/melee fighters, such as Leia or Leo.

For the chars who arent force, you will need to create additional Pm's on other chars so you can synth the items you need, but the 450 is always the best pm to take w/ you in battle.

i think shimarisu doesnt realize that everyone has access to all of the npcs. currently in the jp ver, you can get the cards for Leia and Lou, regardless of what char you play. if you really want a melee char to tank for you, just use Leia, the beast woman. or use Leo when he is availible later.

i dont wanna see you guys regreting it later, so hopefully this post will be some help.

-Shimarisu-
Oct 27, 2006, 12:53 PM
I HAVE JP GODDAMNIT.

CHRIST YOU GUYS ARE ANNOYING.

-Shimarisu-
Oct 27, 2006, 12:55 PM
Not giving any advice on the internet ever again. Always argued with by smarmy know it alls who waste all my time.

Oh look it's my (pure POW!) GH-410 tanking while I shoot at a distance.

On the JP server.

WOW I KNOW NOTHING HUH.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j104/shirubania/GH410.jpg

Edit: I have 600 hours on PSU. My e-penis is THIIIIIIIS BIG.

<------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->

Edit: E-penis broke the tables.

You're also contradicting yourself when you say pure mind is a waste unless you're a pure FO, then turn around and say your FO shouldn't have a FO PM at the end of your post.

Contradicting nothing. I said it would be a good idea to keep it on another character, ESPECIALLY if that character is a hunter.

If you have more than one character you do not want 450 on your Force. You only have 4 slots, you want them spread out.

Oh, and 180K for the best wand I can equip? Well aware of it. That's a damn sight cheaper than the pure mind PM though. And the RA PM on my wartecher is GREAT. It shocks a good deal of things I'm attacking up close.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: -Shimarisu- on 2006-10-27 11:10 ]</font>

Spellbinder
Oct 27, 2006, 01:07 PM
On 2006-10-27 10:55, -Shimarisu- wrote:
Not giving any advice on the internet ever again. Always argued with by smarmy know it alls who waste all my time.

Oh look it's GH-410 tanking while I shoot at a distance.

On the JP server.

WOW I KNOW NOTHING HUH.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j104/shirubania/GH410.jpg

Edit: I have 600 hours on PSU. My e-penis is THIIIIIIIS BIG.

<------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->

Edit: E-penis broke the tables.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: -Shimarisu- on 2006-10-27 11:01 ]</font>

Was all that even really necessary? We're not trying to be annoying know-it-alls, we're just trying to give another perspective for people to make decisions. Some people (like us) prefer the GH-450, some don't (like you). Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, and we're just trying to give people all the facts that we can.

I'm afraid to say you've desecrated your own thread with your negative posting and talk of 'e-penis'. I think Inazuma is just trying to make the point that he has put in alot of game time, and has good experience with the GH-450. Why can't you just give him credit for that and let it be?

As an aside, the pic is out of context to the type of tanking I'm referring to. Depending on how that person is playing. Perhaps it's because of my playstyle, but even when I have the female Beast NPC out infront attacking, when I use my Technics the monsters come at me, that's all I was trying to say.

-Shimarisu-
Oct 27, 2006, 01:11 PM
On 2006-10-27 11:07, Spellbinder wrote:

I'm afraid to say you've desecrated your own thread with your negative posting and talk of 'e-penis'.

Yeah that was the basic intention I believe.

I felt talked down to I'm afraid.

Meh I'm in a bad mood. Waiting on my US PSU to get here from the states while all my friends play it and chat about it.

Sorry guys.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: -Shimarisu- on 2006-10-27 11:13 ]</font>

kirinano
Oct 27, 2006, 01:11 PM
I don't want to get in the middle here (I'm just a NA version newbie) but, for the record, I appreciate everyone's input into this topic. I didn't read any Shiramisu bashing in the earlier posts, but then again its ALWAYS tough to read tone in posts and emails and stuff.

I hope everyone with PM experience keeps posting here. This is really cool info.

Thank-you!
>Everyone

-Shimarisu-
Oct 27, 2006, 01:37 PM
Clearly not me, I'm not on US. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Darkmgl
Oct 28, 2006, 01:03 AM
Great guide, very useful. Probably gonna end up with a 100 Def PM on my Ranger first, then the 30 mind 70 pow one on my Hunter. Man these things are expensive pasttimes though, and money in Online Mode is still pretty scarce. Hope it picks up a bit at 35+ to get the cash to really grow these things.

Wickerman
Oct 28, 2006, 02:43 PM
Fortetecher

EDIT

On the topic of enemy AI, a clear answer on who the enemy goes after would be nice.

Do the enemies always attack whoever deals more damage (i.e. Nukers)? Is it based on distance at all? I don't see any reason to have a tank PM that can't hold enemies off once you cast a tech.

Does anyone know if the AI takes healing into account?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Wickerman on 2006-10-28 13:06 ]</font>

-Shimarisu-
Oct 28, 2006, 06:27 PM
On 2006-10-28 12:43, Wickerman wrote:
[quote]

Do the enemies always attack whoever deals more damage (i.e. Nukers)?

I really haven't seen this. AI seems to be varied. A lot of Rangers will swear to you blind the enemy will ditch the HU and run at them full pelt. (I play with o ne who complains a LOT about this.)

Most people would be suited to the 450, but if you ARE making multiple characters, you need to match them better to maximise both your battle and synthing potential.

It's worth remembering too, on a FO character, a non restaing PM will level your resta.

BadYeti
Oct 29, 2006, 06:09 PM
On 2006-10-27 10:49, Inazuma wrote:
i think shimarisu doesnt realize that everyone has access to all of the npcs. currently in the jp ver, you can get the cards for Leia and Lou, regardless of what char you play. if you really want a melee char to tank for you, just use Leia, the beast woman. or use Leo when he is availible later.
This is very interesting to hear.

I would very much prefer to use Leo, Lou or Leia instead of Maya as a backup NPC when I'm soloing.

Was there an update that added the capability of inviting NPCs other than your initial trainer, or was it possible right from the start?

Is there a trick to inviting an NPC other than your trainer, or will the means for doing so become apparent through the standard course of play?

Spellbinder
Oct 29, 2006, 07:02 PM
They've started to release somewhat of an online story mode. Single player quests which, upon completion, give the partner cards of signature characters other than the ones you may have started with.

BadYeti
Oct 29, 2006, 07:05 PM
On 2006-10-29 16:02, Spellbinder wrote:
They've started to release somewhat of an online story mode. Single player quests which, upon completion, give the partner cards of signature characters other than the ones you may have started with.

Ooh! Nifty. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Datearian
Oct 29, 2006, 07:29 PM
Besides weapons what lowers a PM's tech stat?

And are PM's like mags in the sense of levels?

The_Aminal
Oct 29, 2006, 11:01 PM
Is there a way to reset you PMs stats back to 0? I heard there was an item that could be given to it. Any info is appreciated...

Guilty-Mirage
Oct 30, 2006, 03:38 AM
I'm going to have to say the best PM for any class in terms of soloing is probably the FO PM. By a mile.

That said, I just build PMs based on what I think would look cutest with my character. It's not going to cripple your gameplay by building the "wrong" PM.

TrueForce
Oct 31, 2006, 08:45 PM
actually the easiest way to get a hunter pm is by buying 100 monomates which are 30 at the store and give 5 atk which is 5*100=500 5 levels every 12 hours

Kindle
Nov 4, 2006, 06:49 AM
Hello,
First off I would like to say thanks for the great guide.

I have a question if you don't mind. I have been working hard on my character, a beast hunter going Fortefighter, and as you said the 450 is the best. However I am kinda new at this and added 4 levels of striking, before I knew a technique PM would be the way to go. Is it still possible to create a good 450 when I already have 4 levels of striking, or have I messed it up?

I have leveled up my hunter quite a bit, and really don't want to have to resart =(

Edit: Also, if someone could tell me why Fortefighters supposedly can't use S-rank twin daggers, I would appreciate it =)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kindle on 2006-11-04 03:59 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kindle on 2006-11-05 19:52 ]</font>

doubleEXP
Apr 4, 2007, 08:57 AM
Great topic, -Shimarisu-.

I'm giving this a "bump for great justice" since I just read it and found it useful. Since I'm noticing other new players and players returning after a long time off (like me) maybe it will useful to them, too.

Rock on.

Pikadrew
Apr 4, 2007, 12:10 PM
On 2006-10-29 20:01, The_Aminal wrote:
Is there a way to reset you PMs stats back to 0? I heard there was an item that could be given to it. Any info is appreciated...

The item you're looking for is called PM Device Zero. It resets everything and can be bought from the Variety Shop on Guardians Colony

*edit* Oh snap! I just noticed I replied to something posted in October!
Anyway..now that it's been quite a while, how have people noticed their PM's Battle stat influencing their PM? And what about new evolutions?!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Pikadrew on 2007-04-04 10:14 ]</font>

Neith
Apr 5, 2007, 07:49 PM
The only I'm really disagreeing with is that Fortegunners are bad at solo. The speed they can take down a mob with SE's is insane, provided they're using the right bullets. Add traps to that, and you have a very, very capable solo character.

Hell, I could solo Unsafe Passage S at Lv35, with a Newman fG. It took a while, but my bullet levels were a joke. With a high SE, you can cut through mobs very quick.

SolomonGrundy
Apr 6, 2007, 01:12 AM
On 2007-04-05 17:49, UrikoBB3 wrote:
The only I'm really disagreeing with is that Fortegunners are bad at solo. The speed they can take down a mob with SE's is insane, provided they're using the right bullets. Add traps to that, and you have a very, very capable solo character.

Hell, I could solo Unsafe Passage S at Lv35, with a Newman fG. It took a while, but my bullet levels were a joke. With a high SE, you can cut through mobs very quick.

I'm gonna have to call BS on that, unless you had insane dark armor. I went into unsafe passage at level 50, as a fortefighter 5, and the amount of HP those guys cut through, coupled with the status effects (freezing, poison, megids). No way a newman at 35 survives that solo.

-Shimarisu-
Apr 8, 2007, 05:14 PM
Fortegunners are simply the worst at solo overall, when you consider the lesser damage than fighters and having to use curatives still. They are however, second best in SOME areas, places where killer shot is useful, places you need to dodge megid. However guntecher still wins out in those areas.

Unsafe Passage is just one of these areas.

I am still flummoxed over what PM to give a fortegunner. I would have to go 452 really, but you'd still be worse at solo OVERALL than a fortefighter with the same setup, and worse than a techer with a 410/420 series.

I still like the 440 series on WT, the 410 series on GT and 450 series on FF. On FT I went 420 for variation.

This guide is however outdated, I wrote it back when I was on JP.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: -Shimarisu- on 2007-04-08 15:15 ]</font>

akratic
Apr 8, 2007, 08:36 PM
I solo a bunch as a cast fortegunner (with my 450 and Laia) and it is a piece of cake. I think on S crimson beast, which I have been running lately, my npc's never die and I go through at most 2 stars and one or two trimates.

Allison_W
Apr 18, 2007, 04:24 PM
OK, dumb question. If I have a beast FG and a CAST fF, and only one can get a 45X series (because I also intend to use my PMs for synthing), which one needs it more? FGs have a solo advantage in that beyond melee, they can use guns and traps; however, the character is a beast, so she won't be able to use curatives on herself while shapeshifted (though this problem could be thoroughly avoided by using Vande Val or just not shifting). The CAST, on the other hand, just has the same problems soloing as fFs in general.

I'm thinking the one that doesn't get the 45X will probably get a 44X or 43X, or perhaps a 42X (assuming a PM with 80 ranged is adequate for handling most ranged weapon synth jobs). Possibly a 41X; I could give my WT/fT the 44X/43X/42X.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Allison_W on 2007-04-18 14:27 ]</font>

Omnishot
Apr 18, 2007, 05:20 PM
Make the 45X on the character you intend into to solo with ~alot. Don't forget that you can also invite an NPC to your solo party. That and NPCs tend to melee so, yeah.
You could put the 45X on your fF so that is a possibility of one healer (45X) & two melee ( fF & NPC). Or you can do one healer (45X), one FG (Melee + They can do decent range damage) & one melee (NPC).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Omnishot on 2007-04-18 15:25 ]</font>

-Shimarisu-
Apr 18, 2007, 05:54 PM
On 2007-04-08 18:36, akratic wrote:
I solo a bunch as a cast fortegunner (with my 450 and Laia) and it is a piece of cake. I think on S crimson beast, which I have been running lately, my npc's never die and I go through at most 2 stars and one or two trimates.

And you're still slower than a beast fortefighter with a 450.

I never said it was HARD to solo, moreso slow. I find it very easy to solo on my human GT too. I find it harder on my beast FF, but he still does more damage for his level.

SolomonGrundy
Apr 18, 2007, 07:05 PM
I find soloing with my Beast fF only doable on missions with a low number of 1/2 damage from melee enemies.

Eastern Peril (yes, I can only get an A rank, I know), is a good exmaple. It's just too slow and painful to solo Crimson Beast on S rank..and for what? A Cast fF would have it *slightly* easier, with SUVs.

FGs otoh, are solo machines. There are perhaps 2 missions in the game that they cannot solo well.

I would use the 45x with the Fortefighter.

Allison_W
Apr 19, 2007, 07:46 AM
Oi... hard decision, but I guess it boils down to the fact that the FG will have more tricks up her sleeve to conserve her HP and can avoid the problem of not being able to heal while shifted by using Vande Val or not shifting, whereas the fF can't do anything about having only melee and Dinky Handguns. So 45X goes to the fF.

I guess that leaves the question of what would be a better PM for the FG out of the remaining series, then.

akratic
Apr 19, 2007, 08:28 AM
On 2007-04-18 15:54, -Shimarisu- wrote:

On 2007-04-08 18:36, akratic wrote:

And you're still slower than a beast fortefighter with a 450.

I never said it was HARD to solo, moreso slow. I find it very easy to solo on my human GT too. I find it harder on my beast FF, but he still does more damage for his level.

Well, if you assert it, then it must be true, fella.

Your ass must be sore from all the talking you do out of it.

Blueblur
Mar 21, 2008, 11:04 PM
This is seriously outdated isn't it?

PrinceBrightstar
Mar 22, 2008, 12:28 AM
You're the one bumping it a year later. However I do believe this is on the list of floating stickies. Shim left about a year ago which is why it hasn't been updated.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jonathan_F on 2008-03-21 22:29 ]</font>

Kion
Mar 22, 2008, 12:55 AM
Yeah, i was laughing at all te noob sauce in this thread. Fortegunner being the worst solo class, lmao. It was a serious topic then, but in retrospect it's laughable. This would be a good topic to write a current guide for. With EX devices and more NPCs there are alot more combinations. it would be nice to have some suggestions of which npc's would be the most beneficial for different classes.

imfanboy
Mar 22, 2008, 01:18 AM
I've been thinking about doing a quick Fanboy's Solo guide, since I've been soloing so much lately anyway.

I'll probably type one up in the next couple of days.

Shim was HARDLY the most neutral, calm, discourse-capable person to which to entrust a guide neways...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: imfanboy on 2008-03-21 23:19 ]</font>

Magus_84
Mar 22, 2008, 01:47 AM
Didn't read most of the topic, but something I've found over the past two days or so.

A combination of Leo and Tonnio, with their power nanoblasts and frequent use of said nanoblast, works better for me than any other NPC/PM combination I've found so far.

This is on GT, so I can do my own buffing/SEing/healing/whatever. The one thing I lack is really devastating physicals. A Nanoblasted beast with the Power badge easily provides that.

Normally, the AI just kinda targets whatever it feels like. But when nanoblasted, they stick close to you, and you can kinda drag them around to the biggest threat. Gives you far more control over who they attack than you have when they're non-blasted.

I could just bring my PM and Tonnio, but bringing the second Beast NPC gives two shots at one of them using a blast. They occasionally use it at stupid times, but very rarely will they both use it in quick succession. I pick them over Laia because the power blast does more damage, and they use theirs more.

Would probably pick them over Tylor, too. He's more useful in "normal" mode, but his invincible blast does less damage and doesn't last as long. The benefit of the power blast is that, despite the stupid AI, they've got enough raw power to smash anything in a few hits.

One of them blasting in a fight where they can be healed by you and put in range of the enemies will win that fight. An NPC fighting "normally" doesn't have that kind of spawn-clearing power. At least, not that you can semi-control.

This may be useful, or may not. I'll try to clean it up and make it coherent when I'm not so tired.

imfanboy
Mar 22, 2008, 04:30 AM
Don't worry, buddy; I'll be putting together a nice and easy solo guide in the next couple of days. Every class has a different NPC that's best to pick; by far the Tonnio/Leo pair is topnotch for AT, GT, and even WT.

DreXxiN
Mar 22, 2008, 04:04 PM
Fortegunner

This is the worst class for solo play. lol

imfanboy
Mar 26, 2008, 09:18 PM
OK, I wrote my own damned guide because Shim was crazy.

http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=172630&forum=22&0