PDA

View Full Version : PSU JP - November Update

kyori
Oct 27, 2006, 09:46 AM
Seems like the outline for november was just posted. I'm assuming this is all on some weekly basis and not the big update received in October:

http://phantasystaruniverse.jp/news/wis/?mode=view&id=129

-Epsiode 2-3 release
-6 new Srank Missions: Endrum, Labs, Mizuraki, Agata Archipaelago, Galenigare canyon 1,2.
-New lvl cap,new arts, new equipment, new my room goods, new clothes, new SUVs

It's somewhat irritating that they're vague on the non mission stuff. But let's look forward to it JP crew!

Also of curosity, who's still sticking around the JP servers? And is everyone enjoying Episode 2 so far? 2-2 really started to pick things up!

afcakey
Oct 27, 2006, 09:52 AM
new arts sweet http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Agrias
Oct 27, 2006, 10:00 AM
I just kicked a hole in my wall.

Kamica
Oct 27, 2006, 10:34 AM
Wow....this makes me extremely excited. Sonic Team is dishing out the goods quite rapidly. I wonder how long they can maintain weekly updates.

kyori
Oct 27, 2006, 10:35 AM
Now whyd you do something silly like that http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

uhawww
Oct 27, 2006, 10:48 AM
Nice.
I've been jumping between the US and JP version for the past couple of days, but I haven't had the chance to play through EP2 Ch2 yet.

And this announcement is so point to point that it doesn't even really need to be translated beyond whats already been said.

Hopefully once things level out on this side of the Pacific, the updates will come as fast and furious.

Ryoga4523
Oct 27, 2006, 11:49 AM
How long will the US updates take??? I am hoping the same time frame if we are lucky (crosses fingers)

pkazama
Oct 27, 2006, 12:01 PM
PSOW: With the new downloadable missions and content, will players with the US version of the game have the same content and update frequency as players with the Japanese version of the game? To give you an idea of what we're talking about, there was sometimes online content in PSO that only was available only for players on the Japanese servers.

Takao Miyoshi: At this time, the servers are going to be separated for the US and Japanese versions of the game. Unfortunately, the release dates will be very different between Japan and the US. However, we are thinking of updating everything equally for players in both Japan and the United States. The updates will probably be based on the release dates. So, say Japan receives the game three months before the United States, updates will be on an automatic three month delay for the US version, or something along those lines. We can't give you the exact intervals for how long the delays will be just yet.

Prolly will NA release will just be not up to date with JP

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: pkazama on 2006-10-27 10:02 ]</font>

Diablohead
Oct 27, 2006, 12:22 PM
On 2006-10-27 10:01, pkazama wrote:
PSOW: With the new downloadable missions and content, will players with the US version of the game have the same content and update frequency as players with the Japanese version of the game? To give you an idea of what we're talking about, there was sometimes online content in PSO that only was available only for players on the Japanese servers.

Takao Miyoshi: At this time, the servers are going to be separated for the US and Japanese versions of the game. Unfortunately, the release dates will be very different between Japan and the US. However, we are thinking of updating everything equally for players in both Japan and the United States. The updates will probably be based on the release dates. So, say Japan receives the game three months before the United States, updates will be on an automatic three month delay for the US version, or something along those lines. We can't give you the exact intervals for how long the delays will be just yet.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: pkazama on 2006-10-27 10:02 ]</font>

This is what I was expecting, imo it's not too bad since if a bug appears japan get it first http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Beck
Oct 27, 2006, 12:41 PM
ooo new photon arts? i wonder if we'll be able to have more than one in a single weapon.New SUVs and new clothes? awesome sega.I wonder how long itll take them to translate all that to the NA ver.

Battra
Oct 27, 2006, 12:42 PM
I'll be sticking with the JP version. I like to use my silver PS2^^

pkazama
Oct 27, 2006, 12:50 PM
i dont like the silver ps2 cus it dont play tekken 5

Skyly
Oct 27, 2006, 02:22 PM
On 2006-10-27 10:22, Diablohead wrote:

On 2006-10-27 10:01, pkazama wrote:

This is what I was expecting, imo it's not too bad since if a bug appears japan get it first http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

OOO, ok, i get it. i kinda thought we were gonna get left behind, so i will be expecting an update in 3 months. Cheers!

Agrias
Oct 27, 2006, 02:29 PM
Okay, I'm confused, now correct me if im wrong but since the PS2 has no way to download updates and store them. Then doesn't that mean they're just 'Unlocking' already present content on the CD? If thats right then this kinda saddens me to know that there won't really be any content updates. Right?

uhawww
Oct 27, 2006, 02:39 PM
Such low client shift updates are usually comprised of 1 part client side, 10 parts server side, and a whole lot of clever scripting. Typically, it's either something already built into the client, or the updated information is compressed or engineered in a way where it's simply rebuilding itself from information saved to the memory card.

Carlo210
Oct 27, 2006, 03:01 PM
Yowch.

moonmonster
Oct 27, 2006, 04:08 PM
It's possible to provide new content without really 'unlocking' anything. Especially where missions and stories are involved, the bulky graphical resources and models are already there. To add a new mission, they can just write some code and draw some landscape that uses those resources on disk. Script/code is small, and very compressible, so you're talking a few dozen K that can represent an entire new mission or three.

Basically, they cleverly recombine and use existing resources, rather than just straight-up unlocking. (Although they may do some of that too, it's just not 100% required for them to do what they're doing.)

rythmic
Oct 27, 2006, 04:30 PM
On 2006-10-27 14:08, moonmonster wrote:
It's possible to provide new content without really 'unlocking' anything. Especially where missions and stories are involved, the bulky graphical resources and models are already there. To add a new mission, they can just write some code and draw some landscape that uses those resources on disk. Script/code is small, and very compressible, so you're talking a few dozen K that can represent an entire new mission or three.

Basically, they cleverly recombine and use existing resources, rather than just straight-up unlocking. (Although they may do some of that too, it's just not 100% required for them to do what they're doing.)

He is probably correct. Or at least it makes the most sense.

The new weapons/spells and such might be just getting "unlocked" as well as the level limits. Hardcoded into the game already.

If sega wanted to make an update with new models/textures. Then they'd be big on the size scale.

mananas
Oct 27, 2006, 07:16 PM
So does this mean we'll be having Halloween three months from now?

kyori
Oct 27, 2006, 08:59 PM
Nah, but you should get Christmas on time at least.