PDA

View Full Version : I don't know if I can take that Episode Opening Song

KirinDave
Oct 27, 2006, 02:49 PM
Sega/ST, you need to learn that Sometimes Direct Translation Does Not A Good Song Make.

Wow, the voice acting is okay, but those theme songs are more than slightly awful. It's like the end theme to Mitchell sung by a woman.

Is anyone else horrified by the english themes?

Rooroo
Oct 27, 2006, 02:55 PM
The song was not translated....that's how it was written in the first place...

HUnewearl_Meira
Oct 27, 2006, 02:56 PM
Actually, I rather suspect that the song hasn't been translated at all (can someone with the JP import confirm this?). Remember that the Japanese often think English is "hip" (perhaps not unlike the way we English-speakers like to throw in references to Japanese here and there), and it's not entirely unusual to encounter a theme entirely in English.

Also remember that the Japanese make no attempt to rhyme their poetry and song lyrics. Their language being syllabilically oriented to begin with, words that rhyme aren't really anything special to them; they pay more attention to the rhythm of the syllables.

MagicPink
Oct 27, 2006, 02:56 PM
I'm more horrified they expect me to listen to it at the beginning of every chapter. What the heck was the design team smoking?

KirinDave
Oct 27, 2006, 02:59 PM
Oh my god. Please tell me that isn't the untranslated version. I don't care if you lie, just tell me quick. Here I was having flashbacks to my "Best of Pioneer" CD (o/~ You'd give it all, if you are bold enough to earn the name... Hyperdoll o/~) and now you tell me this is the untranslated nasty?

Beep. Beep. Beep. KirinDave isn't here right now. Please leave a message after the tone.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: KirinDave on 2006-10-27 13:01 ]</font>

Ri0T
Unfortunately there is no alternate version of that song... it was in English in the Japanese version too. I also can't stand it. It's somehow worse than the dubbed PSO song, even.

Character voices... there is only like 1 Female voice and 2 Male voices that I would actually consider choosing for my characters, while on the JP version there were more. I wish they would have just kept the original voices.

klunka
It's not disturbing that a game originating out of japan has a laughable theme track. That happens all the time

the disappointing part is that PSO had such a fantastic soundtrack, how was such a major step back taken?

Realmz
the song is not translated it was sung in english originally.

you can skip all the episode stuff you know...

MagicPink
Oct 27, 2006, 03:00 PM
I know I can skip it. But why put it there at all? Why watch the same intro TWELVE TIMES??

HUnewearl_Meira
Oct 27, 2006, 03:01 PM
On 2006-10-27 12:56, MagicPink wrote:
I'm more horrified they expect me to listen to it at the beginning of every chapter. What the heck was the design team smoking?

"Hey, I like anime."
"All right, let's organize this story like it were anime, then."

Personally, I don't mind it. I rather like the song, myself. If you don't want to deal with it every time, you can always just hit your start button and skip it.

Realmz
Oct 27, 2006, 03:02 PM
i truly don't see whats wrong with the opening theme...

DreamLocke
Oct 27, 2006, 03:03 PM
It reminds me of that Southpark episode where they were anime characters...

"...Protect my balls...let's fighting love...let's fighting LOVE!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnyhBA0-u0g

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DreamLocke on 2006-10-27 13:05 ]</font>

uhawww
Oct 27, 2006, 03:03 PM
Sega should contract Lil' Jon to make the next PSU theme.
That'd be crunk.

Akaimizu
Oct 27, 2006, 03:04 PM
Um. have you guys ever listened to sung Sonic Team music? Anybody ever played Sonic R? Anybody ever played Burning Rangers? Sonic CD? I tell you, this must be the first music people have listened to, from Sonic Team. I mean, the main difference in the Original PSO music was that there wasn't that much singing in it.

This is Sonic Team in a nutshell. If you listen to the lyrics, you can easily recognize that's pretty much what Sonic Team wants to say. That's their style. It may sound a bit off to you (compared to what's popular in music today), but I guess I grew up hearing their stuff, so it's fine with me.

And it's sung properly, not like the Southpark episode which uses broken up, typical Japanese-English sentence clashes. Like "Trying for days, grow up" or something.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2006-10-27 13:06 ]</font>

klunka
Oct 27, 2006, 03:05 PM
Hey! Hey! Let's Go!
Kenka Suru
Taisetsu no mono
Protect my balls!
Boko go warui, so let's fighting...
LET'S FIGHTING LOVE!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ho6ne1Zz73I

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: klunka on 2006-10-27 13:07 ]</font>

HUnewearl_Meira
Oct 27, 2006, 03:07 PM
On 2006-10-27 13:04, Akaimizu wrote:
This is Sonic Team in a nutshell.

It's usually WaveMaster, actually. They're Sega's development house that specializes exclusively in game music.

KirinDave
Oct 27, 2006, 03:08 PM
On 2006-10-27 13:01, HUnewearl_Meira wrote:

"Hey, I like anime."
"All right, let's organize this story like it were anime, then."

Personally, I don't mind it. I rather like the song, myself. If you don't want to deal with it every time, you can always just hit your start button and skip it.

Actually, I think it must have been more like:

Producer 1: "Hey, I like anime. People like anime. Let's make it episodic."
Producer 2: "Cool, that means we need an opening or closing theme. Where's the budget for that going to come from? Can you do it, Ness?"
Loch Ness Monster: I need about tree-fitty.

Sorry. Once South Park entered this discussion, the probability that the Loch Ness Monster could stay away pretty much went to 0.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: KirinDave on 2006-10-27 13:09 ]</font>

Tazer
Oct 27, 2006, 03:11 PM
Yo.

On 2006-10-27 12:56, MagicPink wrote:

/co-FRICKIN'-signed

Tazer

Akaimizu
Oct 27, 2006, 03:11 PM
On 2006-10-27 13:07, HUnewearl_Meira wrote:

This is Sonic Team in a nutshell.

It's usually WaveMaster, actually. They're Sega's development house that specializes exclusively in game music.

Technically yes, but there's definitely a style difference between what's written specifically for Sonic Team, and what is written for other Sega devs. AM2 has different music, as well as the Sakura Taisen series ala. Red Company under Sega.

KirinDave
Oct 27, 2006, 03:14 PM
Um. have you guys ever listened to sung Sonic Team music? Anybody ever played Sonic R? Anybody ever played Burning Rangers? Sonic CD? I tell you, this must be the first music people have listened to, from Sonic Team. I mean, the main difference in the Original PSO music was that there wasn't that much singing in it.

The song from the beginning of Sonic 2 is eternally burned into my skull. I have trouble remembering my birthday because "Rolling around at the speed of sound" is there. Mocking me.

And it's sung properly, not like the Southpark episode which uses broken up, typical Japanese-English sentence clashes. Like "Trying for days, grow up" or something.

Don't you mean "Going your days, grow up!" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_BxHEvuA2M)? (Edit: I am not implying Nadesico is bad or anything).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: KirinDave on 2006-10-27 13:18 ]</font>

klunka
Oct 27, 2006, 03:27 PM

My only rebuttal here,is that the South Park anime song uses very little broken English.

"protect my balls"
"we do it all the time"
"hey hey let's go"

are all perfectly acceptable English phrases, save maybe

"let's fighting love"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KylIDz0GUTQ&mode=related&search=

ShadowDragon28
Oct 27, 2006, 03:38 PM
The song is alright, not my fav style though. I just skip the intro on the chapters. If you don't like the song just press start and skip it, no point in whining about in a forum.

What's funny is imagining the reaction of some *unaware* or uninformed newbies or noobs that see the end sequence for chapter 1,
and he/she thinks it's the end of the game and go "OMG! That's IT?!?! That' the end of the game?!?! WTF?!! "

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ShadowDragon28 on 2006-10-27 13:39 ]</font>

Auronp
Oct 27, 2006, 05:35 PM
I happen to love the opening theme song, and the whole anime theme they have going on. P.S. i loved that episode of south park as well as the song!

rpgposer
Oct 27, 2006, 05:54 PM
I liked it until I heard the lyrics 'Starship Earth', then I had a flashback to Jon Anderson's 'Olias of Sunhillow', then I remembered the 4 hits of acid I took that one time... now I am spiralling out of control into a flower shaped multicolored nebula... help me...

Augustine
Oct 27, 2006, 06:05 PM
I actually kind of like the song. It's nice, in a corny, anime way (which is fitting of the story, I think).

voxie
Oct 27, 2006, 06:13 PM
"We all have somebody we love, we know that is WHYEE we're heeere"

Well, I hated it. But its grown on me.

sugarpink
Oct 27, 2006, 06:25 PM
I like it, it reminds me of my animes http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif Props for Nadesico !

KirinDave
Oct 27, 2006, 06:49 PM
On 2006-10-27 16:25, sugarpink wrote:
I like it, it reminds me of my animes http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif Props for Nadesico !

Could it remind me of good anime? Like Rah Xephon, GitS 2, One Piece, or something like that?

I don't want to remember Moldiver. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Wallin
Oct 27, 2006, 09:25 PM
Why "Starship Earth" anyway? What does that even have anything to do with this UNIVERSE?!?!?! LOL

The song from PSO was actually pretty good, even though that didn't really make sense either - at least it sounded pleasant. I think it was sung by the same person, too. This is just, ahh, I can't describe this new song.

Akaimizu
Oct 27, 2006, 09:46 PM
Funny enough. I thought something similar when I heard the line. It certainly makes sense in our RL context (considering one can actually technically call this planet that. Being a vessel with which we travel through space, millions of miles per year), but I'm not sure if Earth even entered the vernacular for any PS game.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2006-10-27 19:51 ]</font>

Tystys
Oct 27, 2006, 09:52 PM
I like the song. It's so bad that's it's good in a sense lmao.

OH BTW....

Translated South park Let's Fighting Love song? O_O

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KylIDz0GUTQ&mode=related&search=

VanHalen
Oct 27, 2006, 10:19 PM
this reminds me of the initial D theme song Express Love. "show tonight that you are the main one that it can love me when the night was beauty. .....I dont wanna be losing you dont you see that i can live another day without you but you teasing me"

voxie
Oct 27, 2006, 10:25 PM
So, great votes from anime fans. Not so great from everyone else? o_o

Mitz
Oct 27, 2006, 10:31 PM
I like it, and yeah it's not translated.

VanHalen
Oct 27, 2006, 10:32 PM
i like it too anime fans rule

Hajile
Oct 27, 2006, 10:34 PM
You know what would be cool? If someone found out how to implant your own custom BGM's.

KireekSr
Oct 27, 2006, 10:44 PM
I feel that putting in your own custom bgm would be a travesty for PSO/PSU in particular simply because the atmosphere for this game is very carefully (and expertly) crafted and may lose a bit of its charm if you decide not to embrace the sounds. This is still true even if you've heard them a million times and you're sick of it... I just think a game with a consistant mood is priceless among gaming these days.

The Caves is the only place where I'd say a replaced BGM is okay.

On topic, I feel that the opening theme is orchestrated fairly well as far as maintaining PSO sound aesthetic or euphony. HOWEVER the female vocalist AND the lyrics are very very bad. She seems to be singing constantly in falsetto (which indicates little talent) and she just isnt as delicate with the lyrics like the other female vocalist of PSO.
Seriously... the lyrics... listen to the song and pay attention to them. If you have heard music before you will understand that these are very cliche and under engineered. My old highschool's creative writing class has woven more passable words than heard in this song.

I would have been FAR happier with this opening having no vocals (it sounds great when incorporated with other songs heard in PSU). Perhaps the expansion's opening will do better?

I don't mean to sound like a jerk in this post but this song really upset me. I really LOVE PSO/PSU's sound design. It's really like none other.

Edit:
I am a fan of anime in general but I feel that the genre has become so diverse that just saying "I like anime" can mean far too many different things. It's like saying "I like movies."

It would be a true insult to the genre to say that this song is made to appeal to them. It sounds nothing like (by that I mean far worse) than the opening to Record of Lodoss Wars: CotHK, worse than the opening to Rahxephon, worse than the openings of Gundam UC: 0083, 08th MS team, X, worse than the opening to Prince of Darkness, Macross: Plus, or Cowboy Bebop... or even Kingdom Hearts... or Berserk (Susumu Hirasawa's "Forces"). That's just naming a fraction of the goodness.

Don't compare PSU's opening to these (lyrically- yes I know Bebop's opening doesn't really have many lyrics). Just compare it to music in general. The instrumentals are mostly good and maintaining of the feel but the vocals... guh.

You're my hero if you actually read all of this.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: KireekSr on 2006-10-27 20:54 ]</font>

Tystys
Oct 28, 2006, 09:30 AM
I read your entire post. Meh, I don't know. The game's story is made to play out like an anime, so maybe the song really is for anime fans in general.

Yes, the lyrics are quite laughable, but there was this one time where I was watching an interview of the creator of Kingdom Hearts, and he said something along the lines that the Japanese aren't very good at voicing how they feel(which is why most of these songs sound horrible in english, I think). DON'T HURT ME IF IT ISN'T TRUE, D:.

Yes, the PSO/PSU sound design is really great, and(BRACE YOURSELF)there is just an orchestra version of the opening theme song that sounds awesome, so no worries....you won't have to listen to that chick's voice ALL the time when you hear the opening, http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif.

And putting in your own custom BGM isn't so bad. I did it all the time with Blue Burst and I still got the jist of what was happening, heheh.

Look at that, I read your post from the bottom up! lol