PDA

View Full Version : so does anyone know exactly how bad a newman hunter is?

atomisk
Oct 28, 2006, 11:03 AM
it seems like whenever the topic comes out all the posts come out to is either someone saying either: play what you want, they suck, theyre workable, or your race dosnt really matter. so does anyone have any actual stats on the difference between say a newman or human hunter?

Neith
Oct 28, 2006, 11:17 AM
Somewhat interested in this myself, I'd like to make a Newman Wartecher- if it's usable at all, I'll go with it ;o

1337Beeb
Oct 28, 2006, 11:24 AM
Awful.

TheStoicOne
Oct 28, 2006, 11:25 AM
really? And if so a longer explanation is apprecited!!

atomisk
Oct 28, 2006, 11:28 AM
i think he was trying to be funny

Alisha
Oct 28, 2006, 11:29 AM
i have to agree they are awful as well considering in extra mode my female beast owns the hell out of ethan in damage and hp. those centaur guys in shikon island when they use that ice move if ethan isnt at full hp theres a strong chance he will die and my beast just shrugs off savage blows with her massive hp. one advantage newmans will have though is that they can use better guns sooner. everytime i check the shop with my beast a lot of guns are X because i dont have enough ata yet XD oh just wanted to add my female beast getting 11 atp per level is just sexy.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Alisha on 2006-10-28 09:29 ]</font>

HaloMaster24
Oct 28, 2006, 11:30 AM
Very low HP, ATP, and DEF.

Yeah...their probably the worst choice.

TheStoicOne
Oct 28, 2006, 11:32 AM
Guntecher it is then!!

Miller
Oct 28, 2006, 11:36 AM
Elitists piss me off, any race can be any class fine some just take more skill than others. My newman hunter did fine in offline extra tbh.

Alisha
Oct 28, 2006, 11:40 AM
no one is being elitist its just the truth and sometimes the truth hurts. in this game hp is possibly one of the most important stats.

Shiro_Ryuu
Oct 28, 2006, 11:44 AM
if you're a newman hunter, one advantage you have is that you can show how awesome and brave you are, I think it takes alot of guts to be one, same with cast forces and beast rangers. go ahead and pick newman fortefighter if you want, it may be quite a challenge though. I do have a problem with my newman chick, I don't know if I want her primarily as a Wartecher or as a Guntecher.

Kuya
Oct 28, 2006, 11:52 AM
I just like playing as a Newman...and my job choice happened to be a Ranger. Not the "best" choice but I don't really care for having the "best" character. I played with a newman hunter and cast force earlier today - SLIGHTLY slower in terms of kill speed, but it was still just as fun http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Shiro_Ryuu
Oct 28, 2006, 11:55 AM
actually, I'm sure that Newmans would make better Rangers than Humans and Beasts since Rangers are more of a support type than a big damage type.

Alisha
Oct 28, 2006, 12:09 PM
On 2006-10-28 09:44, Shiroryuu wrote:
if you're a newman hunter, one advantage you have is that you can show how awesome and brave you are, I think it takes alot of guts to be one, same with cast forces and beast rangers. go ahead and pick newman fortefighter if you want, it may be quite a challenge though. I do have a problem with my newman chick, I don't know if I want her primarily as a Wartecher or as a Guntecher.

that may be true but i just love how my female beast hunter can just wade into a pack of enemies and own then and shrug off savage blows.

UltimateCarl
Oct 28, 2006, 01:13 PM
Actually I'm considering Beast Ranger myself, and I don't think it'd be a bad choice. After all, Ranger CAN get some high-damage weapons, and with Beast ATP it's even better. Their boost in HP helps them overcome the slight gap between Rangers and Hunters in terms of survivability, and if things start going really rotten we've got the invuln nanoblast to hide behind for a bit and to distract enemies while the team heals up and such. I kind of figure the huge boost Rangers get to ATA will help make up for it. Sure, not every single one of my Bullets will hit, but the same thing can be said of your average Hunter... Also, some people like to have balanced stats. After all, if ATA were the only stat important to a Ranger, then that would be their only stat. Also, some people just like to be different!

So, I look at a Newman Hunter the same way: you have to look at the big picture. Yes, they have lower HP, and yes they do less damage. The most immediate stats for a Hunter are lower, so of course they're less appealing! However, while Newmans have the lowest ATP, they have the second-highest ATA (funny, considering it was the lowest in PSO and I think PS games. Something about how they all have naturally bad eyesight or something... Ah, whatever) and the second-highest STA, which can both indirectly lead to more damage (less misses = more hits = more damage; faster pp regen = more PAs = more damage) Newmans also have the lowest HP, but once again have the second-highest END (less status effects), and the highest EVD and MST (more evasion = less damage, and the MST makes up for Hunter's naturally bad Tech defense). You said you wanted some statistical stuff, so.

Other than that, playing a race's "bad" class is sort of like a badge that says, "I'm hardcore!" And if you are a skilled enough player, then you'll do just fine regardless! Also we need to take Expert classes into consideration... Practically 75% of players are Hunters, and 75% of them are going to be a Figunner because they get S-Ranks in the "ZOMG SUPER SWEET" weapons. But with a statistical comparison, a Newman Fortefighter is probably about equal with a Beast Figunner. Figunners drop some HP and ATP for extra ATA and EVD, and even a tiny bit of MST. Fortefighters go straight for HP and ATP. So, really, each class would be playing off of it's race's weaknesses and things would even out. Even if you switched the races, you'd be playing to their strengths. Sure a Newman Figunner isn't going to do as much damage as a Beast figunner, but those multi-hit weapons pretty much aren't going to miss and it's going to be pretty difficult for the enemies to even HIT you with all that EVD.

So, yeah, while there are statistical differences and there may initially seem to be a "best" and "worst", it's less true than you think. Sure, at low levels (and possibly even higher ones, though definitely lesser) a Male Beast Hunter is going to be easier to play than a Female Newman Hunter, but that's just because the Beast can use his high HP and ATP to run in and hack at things without thinking. But if you take everything into consideration, it really boils down to different means to the same ends. Different playing styles.

Like cars: SUVs use a lot of gas but can transport a lot of people/things at once, sports cars are small but very fast, trucks can haul few people but many things, but you still see all of them on the road, don't you? You still see them serving the same purpose. All can drive one person pretty easily. An SUV is better at transporting multiple people at once, but a truck can shove people in the bed (if that's legal where you're from) to acheive the same ends. When a sports car with two bikes strapped to it passes your truck, you don't stop and think, "wow, what an idiot, if he wanted to transport stuff he should've bought a truck", and especially not after it uses it's acceleration and small frame to weave through traffic past you.

So, really, it does come down to preference and that's why people keep telling you that. Nobody is going to make fun of you for playing a Newman Hunter. If anything, they'll do the opposite. But, I hope I could put your mind at ease a bit with my (likely extremely confusing) statistical comparisons and and analogies.

...Yeah, I'm just gonna stop ranting and leave before I make any LESS sense...

Diablohead
Oct 28, 2006, 01:27 PM
Newmans have good accuracy, so they make fairly good rangers. If you want to go techer afterwards also the newman is already sorted for resta and stuff.

Legenden
Oct 28, 2006, 02:17 PM
My main will be Human WarTecher.
If I would have to be Numan and Hunter, the best choise would be WarTecher I think or maybe Figunner, the fortefighter would`nt make sence.. If not for a funny alt.
I know I will have to try Beast Guntecher as an alt, just to kill the time between updates when my main is maxed:)

HiKeRI
Oct 28, 2006, 02:52 PM
I'm one of those that you call "hardcore" i guess, since Newman interest me alot.. it may have some back-up hidden stuff on there abilities, because so far people look at them as Forces, yet, they can be better at something els..

Sexy_Raine
Oct 28, 2006, 02:59 PM
I got to agree with the people who say newmans are for hardcore players, they most certainly are. It doesn't matter what class you choose, all 3 require skill when you chose a newman.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sexy_Raine on 2006-10-28 13:00 ]</font>

PandaMasterX4
Oct 28, 2006, 03:01 PM
It's not that great. I mean, yeah you can take a bit more dmg, but if you're a newman, you excel on magic. I'm playing it and it makes me cry doing 20-40 damage a hit combo, when I normally do 400 per spell.

Legenden
Oct 28, 2006, 03:04 PM
http://www.psupedia.org/index.php?title=Newmans
Newmans are the best forces and seems like they have great ATA too so I would say they would be exellent as any Force/Ranger build.
I think that a Guntecher would be a great and a fun choice for a Newman.

HiKeRI
Oct 28, 2006, 03:12 PM
Yeah they got more skill than just Forces, its like saying (FFXI) Tarutaru must be casters and not melee, yet.. it went great and fun aswell.