PDA

View Full Version : Spinning PA for Dual Daggers

Cigaro
Oct 28, 2006, 11:12 AM
Is it pretty much required to spam this move as many times as possible to be any good at this game?

That's what I've garnered from videos and community reaction. If so, that's pretty lame.

I guess what I'm asking is if there's variety in what people do online. I don't want to do and have to see the same fucking thing over and over because then the game will get old quickly.

Guitarsmasher
Oct 28, 2006, 11:14 AM
when the pa gets to lvl 10, ppls pa gets extended, and you can do a longer combo

Cigaro
Oct 28, 2006, 11:15 AM
But are PA attacks ALL PEOPLE EVER DO? Are the enemies really that hard that you have to use your strongest attack over and over and over just to kill them?

That's broke.

Alisha
Oct 28, 2006, 11:16 AM
that pa blows and twin daggars are mad weak even tornado break is better than that PA.

Shiro_Ryuu
Oct 28, 2006, 11:17 AM
no, it isn't. its awesome, but not something to just spam all the time. I do PA here and there but I also do normal attacks, which is part of the purpose of melee weapons as they are the only types of weapons that attack without having to lose PP. and for the record, I think that the twin dagger spinning PA which is fast and hits multiple times is better than the sword spinning PA which is slow and only hits once on each button press.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shiroryuu on 2006-10-28 09:26 ]</font>

Cigaro
Oct 28, 2006, 11:17 AM
On 2006-10-28 09:16, Alisha wrote:
that pa blows and twin daggars are mad weak even tornado break is better than that PA.

Do people do normal attacks ever or is it just PA PA PA PA PA PA PA PA over and over?

Cigaro
Oct 28, 2006, 11:19 AM
On 2006-10-28 09:17, Shiroryuu wrote:
no, it isn't. its awesome, but not something to just spam all the time.

Pretty much every video I've seen of online gameplay says otherwise. I don't even think I've seen a normal combo before.

It really disheartened me towards the game.

Alisha
Oct 28, 2006, 11:22 AM
On 2006-10-28 09:17, Shiroryuu wrote:
no, it isn't. its awesome, but not something to just spam all the time.

no it sucks. maybee its because im beast female but i churn out way more damage with single daggar. especially with the PA you get from tonnio. another thing i hate about twin daggars is they regenerate PP at like 1 pp per tic.... i only spam PA when im trying to powerlevel my pa or if im fighting a big monster like those big light based horses in Denes RELICS.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Alisha on 2006-10-28 09:24 ]</font>

Cigaro
Oct 28, 2006, 11:24 AM
I am really asking about photon arts IN GENERAL.

Are normal attacks even necessary? If so, why the fuck did ST even put them in the game?

Everyone seems to ONLY use their PAs over and over.

HiKeRI
Oct 28, 2006, 11:30 AM
You're used to PSO it seems, the three hit combo thing, yeah well for me true skill if combo > PA > combo instead of just using PA's, because i see your point of getting bored of seeing the same thing over and over.

Shiro_Ryuu
Oct 28, 2006, 11:30 AM
yeah, I do think its necessary to do some normal attacks, otherwise you won't have any PP to be able to even do any PAs. PAs do have their place, but you shouldn't waste them on like weak enemies or whatever, I save them mainly for huge mobs, strong monsters, and bosses.

Cigaro
Oct 28, 2006, 11:33 AM
Don't get me wrong, I'm excited about the photon arts and everything, but the whole combo system seems to have already become as monotonous to most people as PSO's was.

It just looks like you run in as fast and as wrecklessly as possible just doing your photon art over and over until everything in the room is dead. I really don't like that, if that's the case. Is there strategy anymore?

EDIT: I realize I'm kind of whining on about this, but I really want to know. It's going to decide whether or not I get into the game.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cigaro on 2006-10-28 09:35 ]</font>

DreamLocke
Oct 28, 2006, 11:34 AM
I think people are spamming because it's new and people like to look flashy. In time, people will realize how screwed they are with no PP left and a boss breathing down their neck...

BTW I think the first dagger PA is overpowered...multi-hit, 360 degree coverage,and levels up quickly. No wonder it's spam-a-lot with daggers...

Alisha
Oct 28, 2006, 11:36 AM
the first daggar pa is incredibly weak dual weapon pa will never be as strong as single weapon ones.

Cigaro
Oct 28, 2006, 11:36 AM
On 2006-10-28 09:34, DreamLocke wrote:
I think people are spamming because it's new and people like to look flashy. In time, people will realize how screwed they are with no PP left and a boss breathing down their neck...

BTW I think the first dagger PA is overpowered...multi-hit, 360 degree coverage,and levels up quickly. No wonder it's spam-a-lot with daggers...

This makes the most sense, and I hope this is the case.

Shiro_Ryuu
Oct 28, 2006, 11:40 AM
^
remember also, that like I said earlier, if you spam your PA, then you'll eventually run out of PP and you'll have to use another weapon to spam your PA's with until you have none left, then you'll have to use Photon Charges which are really expensive and you're only able to carry 10 of those.

Cigaro
Oct 28, 2006, 11:44 AM
It seems that people would be taking a "dessert first" approach, using their PAs until they run out, and THEN having to use normal combos.

I am the opposite way by nature. I save my dessert for last.

Shiro_Ryuu
Oct 28, 2006, 11:45 AM
yeah, I'm with you sometimes, though I would do this sometimes, do a full combo and follow it up with a PA.

Cigaro
Oct 28, 2006, 11:47 AM
On 2006-10-28 09:45, Shiroryuu wrote:
yeah, I'm with you sometimes, though I would do this sometimes, do a full combo and follow it up with a PA.

That's what I planned on doing probably half the time when needed.

What I was seeing was no normal combo whatsoever, just people running in and doing PAs until the enemies die.

Mazoku
Oct 28, 2006, 11:54 AM
I use twin daggers often. I pretty much never have a PP shortage. I use my PA if there are 3 fairly healthy monsters surrounding me in range. Its a good way to start a fight. Usually I run in and do my PA once or twice and use mostly regular attacks for the rest of the battle. It works well.

Auronp
Oct 28, 2006, 11:59 AM
While using PA's alot does upgrade your lvls faster, in the videos ppl usually try to make them flashy. I mean if i knew people were gonna be watchin me fight i would try to make it flashy. While i play i dont use them often, especially if i know i dont need it, except on relic runs that is.

Icecold
Oct 28, 2006, 12:00 PM
My guess is that they're trying to level up their PA as quickly as possible. Normal combos don't level up, but PA do. That's what I do in offline mode, but I'll probably have to be less generous with them in online, as I hear that Ethan is superior to online characters. Plus, the whole team effort should make it easier to take care of mobs without using PA as much. Whereas in offline, the NPCs are a joke, it's pretty much you soloing as a couple of teamates watch you fight...

Cigaro
Oct 28, 2006, 12:04 PM
I see. This all makes sense.

Good. I'm glad to hear that this isn't the case. I don't want to be bitched at for playing conservatively.

Aberu
Oct 28, 2006, 12:20 PM
My reasoning for using PA's all the time is because the more you use them the more it ranks up. I am level 12 and my dual dagger PA is at 11, my long sword PA is at 8, and my saber PA is at 8 as well. Dual dagger you can spam just a little bit longer and more often so it's a bit easier to level up. Generally it's a great PA, but the weapon themselves are so close range and don't easily knock people back or down that they have their disadvantages in that area personally. Long sword is great for delsaber-type guys in my experience, or the big lizard bastards that have 2 parts to their bodies, I do much more damage on them. The idea is to use your daggers first off on guys that need you to hit multiple targets, just for the PA, till you run out of PP. Then you use the daggers only when you have a good enemy to fight single-targetly. Then I switch over to the Long Sword for the multi-target, until the PP goes back up on daggers.

BlaktoothGrin
Oct 28, 2006, 12:23 PM
aberu hit the nail on the head. i try and use my PA with my daggers as much as possible to level it up, and hey at lvl 10, nothing is hard at all yet so i can afford to run out of PP and go back to regular attacks.

Roguearthur
Oct 28, 2006, 12:24 PM
This is because the videos you see they have full pp and just waist it, i waisted mine till i got my PA to level 30 (max level) now i just use it to weaken tougher guys and save most of the energy for the boss so he goes down quicker http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_cool.gif

Aberu
Oct 28, 2006, 12:28 PM
When I get one to 30 I will probably change weapons. I want to max all of em.

rythmic
Oct 28, 2006, 12:31 PM
The way I use my PAs is that I combo fully[all three attacks] then add in the PA after it.

for some weapons that is a tad bit harder like it didn't work as well with swords. But it is still doable.

Reeve
Oct 28, 2006, 12:34 PM
personally i spam the dagger pa as much as possible especially in group runs (only if theres 2 targets in range that can take all the hits)
pp for dual daggers recharges fast plus the fact that the dagger pa is incredibly cheap makes it ideal for spamming pa's with

sometimes i dont even run out of pp just by spamming before i reach a pp recharger if the group is powerful enough cos everything just dies so damn fast

also there are always weapon chargers before boss fights so that isnt isnt an issue either whoever mentioned it

for harder enemies i do a normal combo first and finish up with a PA straight after so theres no delay but dual daggers arent the best soloing weapons anyway cos the PA(i only tried the first one) doesn't disable the enemy

Aaomi
Oct 28, 2006, 01:01 PM
I love doing all 4 hits with my knuckles and then adding on another three with my PA ^.^

Valdemar
Oct 28, 2006, 02:05 PM
I didn't use the twin daggers at first, used those later when I made a beast for offline mode. I have to say, that special move for it is very useful, and I've been using it to help burn through the De Ragen free mission, then alternating to dual pistols for the actual fight with the dragon. Usually beat the mission in less than five minutes.

I've also been trying to upgrade my other weapon's special moves as well, and I love the regular saber's special attack alot--slash, juggle, SPIKE!!! And it's pretty strong. Ah man I'm loving this game, my nightmares of WoW have vanished once and for all. I've already put 22 hours into Ethan, and 7+ hours into my new character (and they're already higher level than Ethan), and I've been playing quite a bit, this game is awesome.

xzeekzx
Oct 28, 2006, 02:13 PM
i hardly PA, i'm moving around so much to avoid attacks and worms and such, i only get em in when massive group to do most effective damage

Kent
Oct 28, 2006, 02:15 PM
I don't like twin daggers; they're really fast, yes, but also really weak.

As for PA usage, I use them as necessary, really. Some enemies need to have as much damage done to them as possible, in the shortest amount of time possible, and some enemies need to be stunned or knocked away for a few seconds (Rising Strike does this well). It's not bad to use normal attacks on a weapon, but you should use your PAs when you need to.

Feelmirath
Oct 28, 2006, 02:42 PM
They're weak, but I remember seeing that they have a hell of a lot of ATA. Add that to the fact they're fast and they get my vote http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Hustler_One
Oct 29, 2006, 03:41 AM
I love duel daggers, the high ata, and decent damage is a win in my book.

As for PA spamming, I ussually do a full weapon combo, and then end with a PA, thus allowing the maximum number of hits on a creature. Exeptions are when I am fighting several foes and some start to attack from the side or rear while im dealing with one, then i may stop combo's early to use the spinning PA to push them all away, Ill then reposition myself to continue combo'ing a mob.

So, yes, I use PA a lot, but I use my normal combo's alot too.

KirinDave
Oct 30, 2006, 01:47 PM
The Twin Daggers are a special case. Especially when you buy the Newman brand, they can spam it so often. Early levels of twin dagger also are fairly weak (they are best used by people with very high natural ATP). The dagger PA is pretty much the only reason to use them early on, since it is easy to use and extremely efficient.

The game doesn't let you play this game forever. Taking twin daggers to the De Ragan is kind of like visting Dr. Kevorkian's house wearing a blank check around your neck... It's not conducive to long life.

For any other weapon though, you do not do that, you'll bankrupt your PP really fast. However, you will see people use them fairly often. They're there to be used, and the only real penalty is the money you'll have to shell out to recharge the weapons.