PDA

View Full Version : Twin weapons useless?

Aaomi
Oct 29, 2006, 03:03 AM
On single targets my knuckles seem to do more damage than my sword. Haven't used twin daggers yet.

Kura-X
Oct 29, 2006, 03:12 AM
for fun.

that's more than enopugh reason to use them.

Marks
Oct 29, 2006, 03:21 AM
What is the point of using a twin weapon? Why do you need 6 attacks per combo, when you can just equip the single handed version and do the same damage in a 3 hit combo. Also with a single handed wep you get a gun.

Raikuro
Oct 29, 2006, 03:21 AM
I'd think a ranger using a twin gun would have twice the chance to cause status effects...

Raikku
Oct 29, 2006, 03:32 AM
twin daggers = made of win

galaxy
Oct 29, 2006, 03:34 AM
for weak enemies who like to attack a lot, these weapons are useful for interuppting there attack patterns and taking them down quickly. because its a constant stream of attacks, the monster can't get an attack in. that's where they are useful.

Marks
Oct 29, 2006, 03:42 AM
But is that it? And in general, isn't a 1 hand weapon faster than twin weapons? Sure 7 hits with twin daggers is nice, but isn't it faster to do 4 hits with a 1 hand dagger?

I myself have been using twin daggers my whole time and my twin dagger PA is level 15 and I am getting dissapointed seeing people with 1 hand weapons doing so much damage. I really love the style of twin daggers but it doesnt seem to make sense to use them...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Marks on 2006-10-29 01:44 ]</font>

Marks
Oct 29, 2006, 05:58 AM
Well if anyone finds any uses for twin weapons post them here. I have been using them my whole play time and I have just been living a lie... I'm gonna go cry.

Alpha-Hunter
Oct 29, 2006, 06:57 AM
twin sabers hits 2 mobs at a time. daggers I don't use at all (tried them for a mission before they became PM food), but If i liked using them I'd use them regardless of what other players do. I'm a sword user and use it most of the time even though I know it's not as effective on single targets. play your game and enjot it your way. as long as it doesn't bother anyone elses game experience.

2Deuce
Oct 29, 2006, 08:34 AM
for weak enemies who like to attack a lot, these weapons are useful for interuppting there attack patterns and taking them down quickly

But is that it?

Well if anyone finds any uses for twin weapons post them here. I have been using them my whole play time and I have just been living a lie... I'm gonna go cry.

Isn't that enough? >_>

You're expecting a little too much. Dual daggers is pretty much a guarantees the enemy has no chance to attack, whereas dual sabres hits multiple enemies with the single swings. If they gave dual-weapons any kind of real advantage, nobody would use single+handgun.

You basically choose. Do you want the slight advantage from the dual-weapons or the ability to hold a melee and ranged weapon at the same time? It's a preference thing. It'd be unbalanced to make one type obviously superior to the other

Sorenia
Oct 29, 2006, 08:48 AM
I think the op's point is that dual weapons supposed have this one type of "advantage" and that this advantage so far is pretty useless.

You people are talking about using what you like. He's saying he wants to use them because the idea is cool and they look cool but the gameplay is unsatisfying to him in compairison to other weapons.

Theres no reason to jump all over his case and give him the whole crap "QQ don't worry about others" motivational speech. This isn't a therapy session for a chronic copy cat.

More on the topic "dual daggers prevent the target from attacking". Where are the mobs that this is important on? It sure would be nice on bosses but it doesn't work there. On all the other mobs even the saber seems fine for making it so the mobs are disabled.

I think this is a pretty valid thing to bring up because really these weapons seem very underpowered compared to stuff like the sword. Everyone can say "for fun" but the fun dries up fast when you are slowly whittling down a pack of wimpy mobs that you know you could wipe out in a single Sword photon attack. The situation just never comes up where pulling the daggers out won't turn it into a depressingly long boring fight.

Realmz
Oct 29, 2006, 08:53 AM
from what i've seen. the twin weapons outdamage the single handed weapons but onyl by a small amount.

an example is that at one point my twin sabres did about 200 a combo, while my single sabre did 180. Only a difference of twenty damage.

since the melee weapons themselves are about equal you can say that using either is simply a preference. the real advantage of one hyanded weapons is the gun in the other hand.

inshort, twin melees do more damage (but not a HEUG amount) while one handers get a gun.

Kaply
Oct 29, 2006, 09:06 AM
Working as intended, at any one point in time you can attack with only one of your equipped weapons. So twin weapons gets one attack and single handed weapons get their one attack and guns get to attack with their one attack. It's not like if you're dual wielding a gun and sword that you can attack with both at the same time.

Sorenia
Oct 29, 2006, 09:17 AM
On 2006-10-29 05:53, Realmz wrote:
from what i've seen. the twin weapons outdamage the single handed weapons but onyl by a small amount.

It seems like it's important to make a distinction between twin sabers and twin daggers at this point.

The twin sabers seem to do aoe damage but the dagger is one target only. It's good to know not all the dual weapons suck but I still think dual daggers are very disappointing in usage.

Reeve
Oct 29, 2006, 09:31 AM
On 2006-10-29 06:17, Sorenia wrote:

On 2006-10-29 05:53, Realmz wrote:

It seems like it's important to make a distinction between twin sabers and twin daggers at this point.

The twin sabers seem to do aoe damage but the dagger is one target only. It's good to know not all the dual weapons suck but I still think dual daggers are very disappointing in usage.

unless you consider their pa which is super cheap and the easiest one i have seen to use(you dont need to be facing enemies just need to be close) also they seem to have a reasonable pp charge rate

still probably my favourite weapon but saber+pistol is still kickass in most cases really

as for what people said about it interrupting attacks i didnt really notice this with dual daggers, maybe that only happens when you do a certain %damage of the enemies hp per swing

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Reeve on 2006-10-29 06:34 ]</font>

Shiro_Ryuu
Oct 29, 2006, 09:45 AM
I've been using Twin Sabers and Twin Daggers and I really like both of them. I like them because of their multiple hits while, and if there's a mob, I'll just PA, and they'll be great when their Claire counterparts are available online(well, humans and newmans only, sorry casts and beasts), they can get multiple hits in a combo, fast, and hit more than one target.

Arcanum
Oct 29, 2006, 09:53 AM
Switch weapons like I do... Don't be scared of it.

Shiro_Ryuu
Oct 29, 2006, 09:55 AM
exactly what I do. though the Twin Sabers are my main weapon.

ShynForce
Oct 29, 2006, 10:03 AM
I been using twin sabers/twin daggers since beta and i think there great. Im a cast plan on becoming a figunner and my weapon setup is a twin saber with dark attribute i didnt make the twin daggers but i plan on putting ice on them and my 3rd melee weapon will be either a spear or a sword i didnt decide yet. My twin sabers dmg is more than fine and rising crush is great i can knock down multiple enemies and when its lv11 its even more combo potential. As for daggers my main dmg comes from the photon art once lv11 it hit 6times so think of it as a short range tornado break but you can spam it since it dont eat up PP.

Im not sure how you guys think the twin weapons are useless but i will let you keep thinking that but since im a nice guy i will try to break it down to make them strong. You have to put the elements to use try to make twin sabers/twin daggers with a good element for example fire rapes in neudiaz (sry if i mispelled it) yes there are some enemies that are fire but most are ice. When you get to the robot boss have a dark element twin saber/dagger for the boss. I have dark on my twin sabers and my dmg was great on him.

Twin weapons are fast and there photon arts is great and you have to use them take advantage of them. Now if you dont like the idea of having to make different element twin weapons then thats ok also the twin weapons should be able to handle most enemies just when you get to a boss you will know a dmg difference this is where i would use a spear/sword mostly spear.

Kaply
Oct 29, 2006, 10:14 AM
As a force let me mention that you guys need to learn to use spear and sword. The damage from those are greater than all other weapons as you level them up (this is with the currently available weapons/skills). In addition, they don't toss the enemies to the four winds making it easier for FO players to tag the enemies for xp.

ShynForce
Oct 29, 2006, 10:23 AM
Yea i like spears as well swords are just to slow for me spears are just as strong and i like there PA much better. I plan on using twin sabers/twin daggers and a spear for my main 3 weapons.

KirinDave
Oct 29, 2006, 11:21 AM
Is the Twin Dagger PA not awesome enough to justify their usage? Seriously, grouped with someone spamming that over and over, I had a hard time tagging!

Fr00
Oct 29, 2006, 11:34 AM
Being a ranger myself, I know nothing about twin sabers/twin daggers. However, I do know that if you are a ranger, you do not want to use the rifle that you start with. Twin weapons give you a huge advantage over the rifle (I use twin powerguns with ice element, being only level 6) and I have found that the extra attacks greatly increase the chance of a status effect being put on an enemy. A twin weapon doubles the chance of this happening, so I would highly reccomend them, especially if you use ice attacks. Of course, this all depends on your preferences, so if you like having a ranged and melee attack then use only one saber. However, as stated before, you can only use one of those two weapons at a time, so you can't hit an enemy and shoot at another at the same time, unlike with double weapons, which allow you to hit 2 or more enemies simultaneously.

Killuminati
Oct 29, 2006, 11:38 AM
After inspection of using twin sabers I have to say they do suck. Many people used the arguement that you can hit multiple enemies but you can hit multiple enemies using just a one handed saber. Twin sabers for me attack to slow.

Rieter
Oct 29, 2006, 11:40 AM
On 2006-10-29 01:32, Raikku wrote:
twin daggers = made of win

I like the way you think

On 2006-10-29 01:21, Raikuro wrote:
I'd think a ranger using a twin gun would have twice the chance to cause status effects...

YOu would be correct. My Ice bullet for dualies is lvl 16 and goes off like crazy. Best invest ment in the lowe levels is ice and dualies and then more dualies to keep the lead going in agorup. Solo a saber or dagger/ handgun seems to be the absolute best thing ever. Thats just my opinion on that one though.

My groups hunter uses dual sabers and dishes out crazy damage, but the only problem is his PA throws mobs all over the place which makes it harder for the force to line things up sometimes.

Shiro_Ryuu
Oct 29, 2006, 11:45 AM
I guess Forces may wanna kick me out then when I start PAing the mobs and sending them off all over the place with my Twin Sabers then. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Angelraziel
Oct 29, 2006, 11:49 AM
Ok I use Knucs, Twin Sabers, and Saber+ Gun. So far i like Saber + Gun most because i have my status effect weapon (handgun) and my extra powerful PA weapon (Saber) on the same palette.I can freeze mobs and then whack away w/o having to wait until my weapons load from switchin the paltte mid fight.One other thing to think about is havin both weapons PP on the same palette too.I never run out of PP cuz once i'm done doing about 4-6 PAs i start shootin and puttin status effects on mobs.I liked Twin Sabers cuz the PA hits alotta grouped together mobs and they look cool, thats about it. Kuc... sigh.. knucs.. Knuckles knock the fu** outta stuff plain and simple i love those for solo'n cuz i go at my own pace so i'm not runnin around trying to hit stuff once just to make sure i get exp in my party. There those are my reasons i use my weapons.Just use diffirent weps and see which fits you best. you cant go wrong on this game cuz all the weapons are good in some way.

Shanira
Oct 29, 2006, 12:03 PM
I use twin daggers (mind, offline mode). I'm actually skeptical the damage is better but I use them for the interruption.

From where I'm sitting twin daggers are not weapons made to spam over and over with regular attacks and own everything. Regular single target twin dagger damage however is pretty darn servicable and never gives things a chance to fight back.

The PA however is what makes a twin dagger totally worth it. You can storm into a cluster of mobs and just go wild. If you have level 20 or up you can wipe out a cluster of squishier mobs basically instantly, or at least I can in extra mode. Even without that it does huge damage to everything around you and your 3rd PA combo move knocks two targets down.

Is that not enough reason to use them?

Of course, weapon switching is always a good thing too. I just love going berserk on things whirling and slashing and everything so most of the time I'll be using my daggers.

Another thing why I like twin daggers is I believe they have less of a "gap" between attack chains than other slower weapons. I hate things fighting back and with twin daggers I can go nuts on someone with regular attacks, throw in the first PA move in, and start back on normal attacks before they have time to take a swipe at me.

I'll be sticking with twin daggers. Slightly suboptimal normally, but I can wipe out an annoying spawn quick if I'm willing to spend the PP to do so.

DMC_Dante
Oct 29, 2006, 12:08 PM
I was testing damage between the 7 hits of my daggers and the 3 of my lance and saw that twin weapons do more damage OVER TIME, whereas the lesser combo weapons do damage quickly but not as much in a full combo. EX. My daggers did around 35 a hit X 7 = 245 and then the photon art being 50 a hit on top of that (good damage but takes longer to pull off for the full effect) BUT my lance was doing 60 a hit X 3 hits = 180 and then a photon art of 100+ damage a hit. So what i'm saying is that for short quick attacks so you have more time to bob and weave and not take damage go with a one hander, also their photon arts add more damage. But if you want more damage per combo, go with the speedy twin weapons its just they take longer to get the full effect off. Hope this helps show you the difference, also take into consideration the points that everyone else made.

Marks
Oct 29, 2006, 06:20 PM
So how are single daggers, are they good? I just' cant figure out what twin daggers are good for.

Sleet_v2
Oct 29, 2006, 08:22 PM
lol who CARES! its so easy to switch between weapons.. if you want ot use a gun,,, SWITCH TO IT>

Natrokos
Oct 29, 2006, 08:33 PM
There is no bad weapon. It's all about personal preference...I like Twin sabers and Twin daggers....My friend likes daggers, sabers, and swords....Neither one of us are terribly fond of spear....

Garnet_Moon
Oct 29, 2006, 08:40 PM
On 2006-10-29 15:20, Marks wrote:
So how are single daggers, are they good? I just' cant figure out what twin daggers are good for.

Whenever I have twin daggers equipped I run into a group of mobs and drain my PP gauge dry. Then I switch back to my Knuckles. I just like seeing the green PA level up glow and this gets my fix nicely.

Maxurion
Oct 29, 2006, 09:00 PM
Personally, I use twin daggers for clearing out groups of enemies and foes with multiple hit points (the big guys that can be hit two or three times at once with my dagger PA).

I use twin sabers whenever I come up against a big foe that can be knocked over that's really annoying me (especially the ones that spam-cast gibarta).

DMC_Dante
Oct 29, 2006, 09:10 PM
Generally, I use my lance for group bashvia its piercing, but in 1v1 or smaller group fights i will use twin dagger + photon art and that obliterates anything 1v1. So it's all based on situation, twin has more dps but takes more hits to pull off, and you can just go from there

xzeekzx
Oct 29, 2006, 09:21 PM
Addressing a few :

In the case of interupting the attack of the monster:

Twin weapons do an excellent job of preventing the monster from using an attack. Now, if the moster happens to start an attack before you hit it, then it will not interupt the attack, and you will therefore get hit in your sequence.

----------------------------------------
Number of monsters being attacked:

A single saber's PA can hit multiple targets, i know it is two for sure. I'm not sure how many targets a twin saber can hit, but i know its 2+ with normal attacks, and 2+ with it's PA. Many people find this a very valuable strategy when fighting. Something i like to do, is sneak up behind the monster, hit it a few times, then get to its side, use an upthrust attack and send it into the air, only to run at it with some more normal hits. The twin sabers allow me to do this with multiple enemies, where as the single saber only allows me to attack, after the upthrust, one monster.

Twin daggers, on the otherhand, are single target, but! Because of 7 sequence, you can easily finish off a mob with two hits, and continue the other 5 of the sequence on something else, as apposed to taking two hits of your saber or dagger and not having as much damage left over for the next mob. I know that 5 hits on a dagger does not equal one hit on a saber for the same rank weapon and all that shnaz (if everything were the same but the weapon itself basically). Bosses are a different subject entirely ( from my experience).

----------------------------------------------------------------

So that is basically what i have descovered of the advantages of twins over singles. I myself use both constantly depending on the situation. 20 mobs running at me? Take out he gun/saber combo and shoot em to death untill they reach me. Give em an uppercut, switch to the twin sabers and unleash the multi-mob damage. Its all in your gameplay, and how you see the strategy work out on the screen, in the game, and in your mind! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif Don't forget to have some fun http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: xzeekzx on 2006-10-29 18:22 ]</font>

Shinomaru
Oct 29, 2006, 09:35 PM
after reading threw pages 1-2 i understood the points being made. but when the forces started complaining it really sicken me. TAGGING has always been a problem in pso in general if your using foe spells. stop your whining and just wait till you get the wider areas spell JUST LIKE IN PSO. seriously the PA that "Throw the enemies around" are helpfull in alot of cases. 1. being when these enemies hit the ground they are stunned for a good amount of time. 2. those flying basterds you can get them on the ground with those PAs . 3. in areas like grove for fanatics HAVING THE ENEMIES GROUPED UP IS THE WORST POSSIBLE IDEA IN THE WORLD. so if you rather die dont play with people who use those PA's or just kick them if your leader. everything is working as intended. Spear do alot of damage so do their PA's but for now only only attack in straight lines and do decent damage. Swords do alot of damage more area attack but are slow. etc etc.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shinomaru on 2006-10-29 18:36 ]</font>

Shiro_Ryuu
Oct 29, 2006, 09:43 PM
Shinomaru, I agree with you about the comments by the Forces, but I think that it'll be easier for Forces to tag enemies if they are KD'd by Twin Blade PAs, and they won't be all over the place unless the user commits to the third part of the Rising Crush. The Double Blade PA on the other hand will have the enemies scattered. but I think enemies being grouped up makes it easier for Forces to just nuke them all at once with a single spell but it would make it easier to use skills on them as well.

Shinomaru
Oct 29, 2006, 09:58 PM
i understand this but again. in area like grove of fanatics its to dangerous lvl 20+ get owned by the explosions and the stuns when their grouped up. what im saying is later the forces spells increase to large areas attack problems solves the game is not percectly balance but the thing is that it is balanced and everything is working as it should just give it time and level and content unlocking.