PDA

View Full Version : Its probably safe to say that 70% of all online characters a

Nestahima
Oct 29, 2006, 11:27 AM
Its probably safe to say that 70% of all online characters are Hunters.

Anyone else beg to differ?

efess
Oct 29, 2006, 11:31 AM
Looked like it to me. I also noticed alot of characters are very short >.>

Randomness
Oct 29, 2006, 11:32 AM
Rangers... nobody seems to be a ranger.

DMG
Oct 29, 2006, 11:33 AM
I beg to differ. 70% is too low. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Nestahima
Oct 29, 2006, 11:35 AM
I was just clicking to see what type of character was in each party, and most of them were Hunters

Diablohead
Oct 29, 2006, 11:37 AM
I was expecting tons of force characters but I guessed wrong.

Shiro_Ryuu
Oct 29, 2006, 11:39 AM
yeah, cuz Hunters rule! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Caydence
Oct 29, 2006, 11:40 AM
i think i may be switching to a force because of this

Kuya
Oct 29, 2006, 11:45 AM
I think I'm the only male newman ranger that I've EVER seen. Does that make me a 7+ star? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Nestahima
Oct 29, 2006, 11:49 AM
I'd definately say the ratio is Hunters > Forces > Rangers.

Rangers don't seem to be played as much simply due to their lack of damage. They don't do nearly as much damage as Forces or Hunters.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Nestahima on 2006-10-29 08:54 ]</font>

g00dman12
Oct 29, 2006, 12:01 PM
I dont know about 70% On the 360 there are alot of forces and Beast

Nestahima
Oct 29, 2006, 12:04 PM
I'm on the 360. There are a good amount of Forces, but all the beasts ARE Hunters.

Callous
Oct 29, 2006, 12:05 PM
On 2006-10-29 09:01, g00dman12 wrote:
I dont know about 70% On the 360 there are alot of forces and Beast

Beasts that are likely hunters.

Auronp
Oct 29, 2006, 12:54 PM
Beast start of as hunters so it's easier for them to stick with it. Also their guided to hunter cause of their stats. But i've been in grp's with like 4 rangers a force and me (the hunter).

Garasu
Oct 29, 2006, 12:57 PM
I think everyone picks hunter just because its strong..I picked it because I liked it..way to used to Rangers..>< Going to try Force when I get Hunter Rank 5..

Chimeria
Oct 29, 2006, 01:02 PM
acually, i'm a newman ranger. I like the evasion stat. Very high.
I tried the hunter class but all my stats dropped except my ATP and DEF stats. But they do get to use a wide variety of close-range weapons though. Still, i love my ranger.

Nukei
Oct 29, 2006, 01:02 PM
I used hunter when I first played PSU, then I changed to ranger, then I tried hunter again since I saw everyone kill very fast, but I got used to using a rifle too much.

Wallin
Oct 29, 2006, 01:05 PM
I would play a ranger, or my force, except that I run out of ammo REALLY fast, because the two classes rely on PP so much.

In which case, when I run out, I have to waste my time running to refill, or I have to go into melee mode. If I go melee, then I may as well have rolled the hunter.

Initially in the 360 Beta I played a CAST Force, but spent all of my time spell hitting everything once, healing when necessary, and then using my twin daggers like a maniac. So I just made a hunter instead. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Zeppelin36
Oct 29, 2006, 01:06 PM
I'm a hunter and yeah your right there are to many hunters. I picked hunter becuase im waiting for twin claw to come out and axe. thats the reason im being one. and i like the beasts :3 i also like ranger (a lot) but hunter is more for me and i like force but im terrible with them (On PSOBB i didnt pay attention to peoples health this one time[not on purpose] and then they end up dying and they yell at me telling me to cast reverser and i realize thier dead after about 2 minutes)

Zio
Oct 29, 2006, 01:08 PM
I like being unique, plus guns are cool ;o

Frog
Oct 29, 2006, 01:25 PM
Cool! I'll definitely be a force online then.

Getintothegame
Oct 29, 2006, 01:27 PM
Ranger, always have been, probably always will be. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Diablohead
Oct 29, 2006, 01:31 PM
I would make a newman hunter just to piss off alot of beast players http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Nilot
Oct 29, 2006, 01:32 PM
Maybe I'll switch to ranger to irriated you newms then =P

Ryogen
Oct 29, 2006, 01:35 PM
I'm not going to assume anything I havent studied. I switched my class from Hunter to Ranger and getting both of the classes worked on. Everyone is going to be somthing now and then. Like every Newman force, Every beast and human hunter and every cast Ranger.

gapzi11a
Oct 29, 2006, 01:41 PM
noob alert- I'm new to PS and I chose a human because I fell for the "balanced" description. He is a hunter at this time, but I'm interested in the technic powers (or is it force?). I've put some time into him now and dont want to change races. How can I develop other powers for him? Thanks.

Sexy_Raine
Oct 29, 2006, 01:42 PM
It doesn't bother me, I'll be using a force anyway.

Fadedgaijin
Oct 29, 2006, 01:44 PM
I think its because of the expert classes's.

Flamingo99
Oct 29, 2006, 02:09 PM
On 2006-10-29 10:41, gapzi11a wrote:
noob alert- I'm new to PS and I chose a human because I fell for the "balanced" description. He is a hunter at this time, but I'm interested in the technic powers (or is it force?). I've put some time into him now and dont want to change races. How can I develop other powers for him? Thanks.

you can chance your job type with out changing your race.

gapzi11a
Oct 29, 2006, 02:37 PM
On 2006-10-29 11:09, Flamingo99 wrote:

On 2006-10-29 10:41, gapzi11a wrote:

you can chance your job type with out changing your race.

actually I would like to be a hunter with some other skills as well. is this what they call an expert class?

Kie
Oct 29, 2006, 02:40 PM
I hardly see any ranger would love to see some XD but I like being a force myself, and yea I agree with you.

AeraLure
Oct 29, 2006, 02:48 PM
My main character is a FO. Far and away the most fun for me, though I agree, at least 70% online are Hunters and I am willing to bet its more like 80%+. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Feelmirath
Oct 29, 2006, 02:51 PM
Heh, I'll be a Force when I get on. Good to know I'll have some people to SUPPART XD

Midicronica
The fact that there a lot of hunters dosen't bother me. I think a lot of people choose to be a hunter because they usually don't understand anything about the other class and choose to be a hunter, or just because they think carrying around a sword is cool. Personally, I won't be playing as a hunter, I had my feel for them on X360 Beta and I didn't like it that much. Being a force presented me with a challenge and drew me closer to the class as I progressed further with it.

I came in here thinking you guys were bashing hunters, but to my dismay that wasn't taking place... =(

Anti-hunter sentiment FTW!

Sorenia
I'd bet the biggest factor is aiming. It's not impossible but it takes a lot of getting used to and even the best rangers I see have moments where everything goes whacky and they can't get lined up for a few moments.

In contrast you take a hunter and slap a sword on him and he just swings it all over the place easily hitting every mob on the screen. I'm sticking with it for now myself but I can see myself quickly class switching as soon as I get ranger high enough for expert classes. Here's hoping the laser cannon and grenade launcher fix most of my woes.

LocGaw
Oct 29, 2006, 02:52 PM
Odd... I guess playing in a group with the same people has clouded my sight. All I see are forces and Rangers.... ><

Kanore
Oct 29, 2006, 02:53 PM
There's always too many Hunters...

Too bad I'm switching to it from Force when I hit level 10 Force because Newman + Ranger does not match http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Oji_Retta
Oct 29, 2006, 02:58 PM
I'll be going on as hunter first, then ranger, then figunner. For me, melee is just very, very, fun especially with the PA's now. But I also make use of guns and for me that is fun too. There are probably a lot of hunters but most of them are probably not good or just mediocre. I actually intend to do the job well and not burden the party.

PALRAPPYS
Oct 29, 2006, 03:02 PM
There are too many beasts and newmans on the 360 version. I see them all the time. It's annoying. I'm bored of all these newmans. I actually thought it'd be special that I was a newman...

Zaiden
Oct 29, 2006, 03:05 PM
I really don't pay attention to what class other people are, so it doesn't bug me.

Maybe Hunters are just more fun to play as. I love being a Hunter.

Zaft
Oct 29, 2006, 03:06 PM
Had a party yesterday, 1 hunter (me) the rest were rangers. Kinda weird, I always either get full hunters or full rangers in my party, never a force =/ So I'll prolly change to force.

Spacepest
Oct 29, 2006, 03:28 PM
I'd be a force if I didn't have to buy techs from the beginning. I'm too broke to even really start one now. Until my hunter makes more cash to fund another toon, i'm holding off on playing my force.

I've seen alot of short hunter characters too. Too balance this, I made my force as tall as freaking possible. And skinny. You'll probably see his stick figure ass running around in teams in the future.

zemog
Oct 29, 2006, 03:35 PM
Aiming

Hunter: PSU > PSO (more agile, can turn while attacking)
Force: PSU < PSO (can't lock onto anything)
Ranger: PSU = PSO (balanced... no more lock, but fps helps)

My opinion. I switched to a force for fun to try it out and learn some tecs, and I find hitting things gets frustrating. But with the dmg you deal, it's easy to argue it's all for balance.

Silver_Wyrm
Oct 29, 2006, 03:38 PM
I see another ranger once in a blue moon O.o

Guilty-Mirage
Oct 29, 2006, 03:48 PM
Honestly, once you figure out the knack of aiming and such, it's more precise than it was in PSO as a Ranger or Force... due in part to the much better target collision in PSU. I had a tough time at first, but I eventually figured out how to work the controls to leave me aiming dead-on nearly every single time... and quickly too. There are times to use the lock-on button for strafing and there are times when you don't.

I never use the first person perspective, personally... except just for fun. It's actually slower than aiming in third person, and the hit detection is good enough in this that you don't have to hit center mass or anything, anymore. But if other people like it, more power to them.

Anyway.

Rangers? Low damage? Not from what I see.

Rangers should only be doing weak damage if...

A) They aren't opening fire before the Hunters get to the monsters.
B) They aren't grinding their weapons / keeping multiple up-to-date guns.
C) They haven't gotten the trick of how to aim in PSU yet.
D) They aren't using the proper bullets / don't understand elemental weaknesses.

etc.

Hit for hit, a Ranger's going to do less damage... but they (generally) don't have to move around in a fight to avoid getting donkey punched by that angry monster like a Hunter does. They don't have to wait until they run up to the monsters to do their full damage. Spraying burn PA bullets into a crowd can rack up the DoT damage really fast as long as your party is fighting stuff that actually lives more than a few seconds.

And speaking of bullets, Rangers offer some fantastic support. It's not necessarily dependable at any given point, but a Ranger's going to save the Hunters in the group a lot of damage if they load up freezing or plasma bullets. A Ranger with a suitably broad selection of levelled bullet PAs is a debuff machine.

But yes, Ranger requires some thought. I mean, all of the classes take some thought to play well, but unless you actually put some thought into being a Ranger... you're going to flat out suck. You'll constantly run out of ammo (and complain about it on forums), you won't do much damage, etc.

That's one secondary reason we don't see many Rangers.

Reason #1 is the fact that everyone heard about "those superkewl martial arts photon arts that Hunters get." I'm looking forward to getting them on my Hunter, too... but I'm certain that the extremely cool looking melee weapon PAs are the biggest reason why so many people are playing Hunters.

Silver_Wyrm
Oct 29, 2006, 03:51 PM
I love my ranger and it does take more thought here, I spend alot of moneys buying extra backup guns so I can spam alot of bullets and keep decent damage too, but of course, learning to conserve at the right times is also a need.

Guilty-Mirage
Oct 29, 2006, 03:55 PM
Well, if a fight is going smoothly and everyone's just "wrapping up" the kills, Rangers can always just hold off and not risk shooting a few bullets toward monsters that'll be dead to sword swings by the time the shot arrives. I've noticed that every little bit helps.

Like... never be the one to open a box in a group. If you're solo, then wait until the PP regen ticks... then switch to a melee weapon, open the boxes as fast as possible, then immediately flick back to your gun so you don't miss a tick of recharge. After a while it just becomes second nature, and those are just a couple of examples of what you can do to conserve PP.

Silver_Wyrm
Oct 29, 2006, 03:57 PM
yea I have a melee weapon on my pallete to break objectys, but I often sue my shotugn anwyays sicne its so hard to run out of PP with those

Reeve
Oct 29, 2006, 04:30 PM
hmm if there is indeed that many hunters about i might just keep as a ranger as my cast when i first make him and go fortegunner, i was intending to go figunner....meh

rangers may do less damage but thats isnt everything there is status effects(but everyone says that), you also got the fact that of all the classes theyre going to be the ones who will always be able to attack(fights like de ragan for instance you will be pounding away at him even when hes in the air) and will never really be out of range(hunters always have to move to targets)

when you look at it like that rangers really arent that bad at all

A-P
Oct 29, 2006, 04:53 PM
I've always been a hunter, but I think the main issue with Rangers is that they seem too weak to begin. Your melee is laughable compared to the hunter and good guns are hard to obtain as a noob. So really, it seems like more of a secondary thing, though I could be wrong. I personally think Ranger is cool, but my heart lies in the fray.

Silver_Wyrm
Oct 29, 2006, 04:56 PM
On 2006-10-29 13:53, A-P wrote:
I've always been a hunter, but I think the main issue with Rangers is that they seem too weak to begin. Your melee is laughable compared to the hunter and good guns are hard to obtain as a noob. So really, it seems like more of a secondary thing, though I could be wrong. I personally think Ranger is cool, but my heart lies in the fray.

yea, ranger is horrible at startoff

A-P
Oct 29, 2006, 05:04 PM
On 2006-10-29 13:56, Silver_Wyrm wrote:

On 2006-10-29 13:53, A-P wrote:

yea, ranger is horrible at startoff

Yeah, pays off once it gets some levels and meseta though. Too bad both seem to be giving me more trouble than ever in PSU. *laughs*

Miyoko
Oct 29, 2006, 05:13 PM
I'm a ranger! Wheee!

I do perfectly fine damage, too, but, I'm one of the few people that realizes damage isn't the biggest asset to a team. Status effects from my bullets, as well as flinching caused by bullets, keeps enemies from attacking, which in turn, keeps them from hurting teamates.

Just like WoW -- Rogues who stun a lot in raids help the team more than those whom just do damage.

Reeve
Oct 29, 2006, 05:33 PM
On 2006-10-29 14:13, Miyoko wrote:

Just like WoW -- Rogues who stun a lot in raids help the team more than those whom just do damage.

few more comparisons to be made here aswell..

something i forgot to mention earlier since rangers are ranged they also dont get hit by aoes either doesn't seem to be much of a problem for hunters at the moment though. this was a big deal in WoW cos the melee classes used to get HAMMERED by aoe attacks

i was gonna post a mini rant about how imbalanced hunters were in comparison to rogues in endgame pve, infact i had it all written out but i dont think anyone wants to hear me moan http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

EC_Subbie
Oct 29, 2006, 06:03 PM
In my static group/guild...we have a fair amount of rangers actually. We have at least three main rangers, including myself. We have two forces, maybe three as well and a few hunters. Every day we're meeting/adding new people in so finding more hunters or whatever isn't too hard. Here's my current setup as Ranger..

Weapons:
Saiyuhoh - B Rank Yohmei rifle - Fire bullet lv 14
Brahoh - C Rank GRM Rifle, Grinded x2 - Ice bullet lv 4
Shigga Wadda - C Rank Tenora Shotgun - Ice bullet lv15, x4 spread.
Shigga Wadda - C Rank Tenora Shotgun - Lightening bullet lv4, x3 spread
Knife - C Rank GRM Dagger, Grinded x2, Dark elemental 20%, Dagger PA, lv2
Autogun - C Rank Handgun, Grinded x2 - No element.

I still need to work on some of those elements, just started with lightening.

Armor:
Megaline - lv20 B Rank extra slotted armor, fitted with an arm piece for +32 atp and the laser SUV weapon.

Rifle shots tend to do over 100 per shot vs elemental weakness, and like 80 per shot on Boss weakpoints. Add into that burn status effects, and crowd control status effects from shotgun and it's a very diverse and effective job. SUV weapons help a lot for spike damage too, I do roughly 250 per hit..and I believe it hits 10 times in a row..so that's what..instant 2,500 damage? We've had some boss fights where we had 2 rangers use SUV..and the boss is dead..or if it's a tougher rank, it cuts the fight time in half.

Cause_I_Own_U
Oct 29, 2006, 06:13 PM
What do rangers and forces get that compares the the kick assed ness of Skills?, do techs let you flip all over the place like a monkey and then send a mob flying 40 feet?, does a rangers bullet skill make the ranger twirl like a spinning human torpedo at the enemies? no, they do no such thing. therfore hunter > all

EC_Subbie
Oct 29, 2006, 06:26 PM
On 2006-10-29 15:13, Cause_I_Own_U wrote:
What do rangers and forces get that compares the the kick assed ness of Skills?, do techs let you flip all over the place like a monkey and then send a mob flying 40 feet?, does a rangers bullet skill make the ranger twirl like a spinning human torpedo at the enemies? no, they do no such thing. therfore hunter > all

Cast Ranger gets personal Death-Ray attached to their shoulders and destroy an entire crowd of enemies at once...ftw? Spraying down a crowd with ice/paralysis turning them into retarded/frozen blocks of ice? Or how about the ability to focus on a Boss's weakpoint for the entire fight..while staying out of damage range? Forces hurling furious balls of blazing death at anything in their path, while keeping you alive/status free in the process? All jobs have their place.... so hunter = all. Flashy moves does not mean hunter > all.

Garnet_Moon
Oct 29, 2006, 06:32 PM
I made a Hunter because i'm sick of them using their PAs and knocking enemies out of range of my spells. Time for some payback. Sorry forces in training. It's personal. >_>

Kaloa
Oct 29, 2006, 06:43 PM
It wouldn't surprise me to see more hunters online than any of the other classes. Especially considering how new the game is. They're the easiest to play as, and probably one of the best classes to play while you're learning.

I've been playing as a ranger offline and loving it. I initially planned to be a hunter, but I've grown far too attached to using my guns. At first I found it really hard to aim and target enemies, but than I discovered the beauty of the L button and how much easier it makes it to move around between enemies and stay on target. The only time I really run into problems with my ranger is when I run out of ammo and need to switch guns. I haven't quite gotten the hang of that little menu that pops up on the side of the screen yet, but I'm working on it.

AlphaMinotaux
Oct 29, 2006, 07:06 PM
i love killing things with a weapon in my hands. that is why im a hunter.

Sorenia
Oct 29, 2006, 07:53 PM
Status effects from my bullets, as well as flinching caused by bullets, keeps enemies from attacking, which in turn, keeps them from hurting teamates.

At what level does this start becoming important? I'm 20 now and I've been pretty disappointed so far. Causing mobs to flinch just hasn't seemed like a big deal as the hunters don't ever seem to be in danger. The status effects seem very meh too. No casters yet. Mobs die to fast for dots to matter. Freeze just seems to mess up clumping for aoes.

Even worse I've been really frustrated that I have a hard time "tagging" all the mobs to get xp off them before they even die. Every other class seems to just walk in toss an aoe and they're sure to get full xp. Just the time it takes to aim at every mob and shoot it once is almost too much and I aim pretty quick compared to other rangers I've seen.

Merumeru
Oct 29, 2006, 08:19 PM
XD eh theres lotsa hunters, big deal, that doesnt mean you shouldnt be one if you dont like the class, thats just like trying to be cool by being different

pretty looking attacks for teh win~

Garnet_Moon
Oct 29, 2006, 08:51 PM
The only reason I don't like that everyone is a Hunter, is that people marathon the crap out of C and B runs and get upset if you go to even recharge your weapons. Inventory gets full, weapons neede rechargin', and when forces aren't around I need to buy more Monomates.

"Well then sell the synth items to create room for boards, weapons and rares!"

Like hell I will. I synth alot of crap just to either NPC or feed my little dude in my room. I think I have a thousand Par Woods in storage. >_>

My only problem with the amount of hunters and rangers to force ratio is the limit of 20 Monomates and 20 Dimates. It's ridiculously anti-marathon when a Force isn't around. You realize just how useful they are after they tag all the mobs in the room with an AoE.

I miss my Resta. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Garnet_Moon on 2006-10-29 17:53 ]</font>

DjDragoon
Oct 29, 2006, 08:56 PM
It's hard to get a good party going without a force, healing for boss fights (corse dimates work just as well if you have the meseta). I was purely a healer class on my last MMO and now I just want to do damage for a change. I think the reason there aren't a lot of forces out there is because people just aren't educated on how the class/race system works. Maybe if they read up on the game before choosing their class, they'd learn that forces are pretty l33t and are in very high demand.

Para
Oct 29, 2006, 10:33 PM
Im playing a female newman hunter... of course in the future i can always switch when i get bored of being hunter.

ProfessorZ
Oct 29, 2006, 10:35 PM
its pretty safe to say that. I say this because today I was looking for B rank guns in player shops and all I found were 4, 5 star hunter weapons. I think its mostly because being a ranger is hard and forces don't get a lot of loot

Bibberz
Oct 29, 2006, 11:18 PM
Im thinking of switching my Beast to a force for awhile just because there should be more forces. I love when I see a force, maybe people would love to see my beastly force self healing them for a change? Maybe a little beast Warteching in the future..
...Or maybe not... I kind of want those S-Rank Knuckles <_< >_> <_<

Killuminati
Oct 29, 2006, 11:31 PM
On 2006-10-29 17:56, DjDragoon wrote:
It's hard to get a good party going without a force, healing for boss fights (corse dimates work just as well if you have the meseta). I was purely a healer class on my last MMO and now I just want to do damage for a change. I think the reason there aren't a lot of forces out there is because people just aren't educated on how the class/race system works. Maybe if they read up on the game before choosing their class, they'd learn that forces are pretty l33t and are in very high demand.

I think its kinda ironic you say you want to be a DD and don't won't to be a force... forces are one of the best DD later on and with their higher spells they can get exp easier because alot of the higher spells will do full room aoe in one cast.

ShynForce
Oct 30, 2006, 12:34 AM
I picked hunter because my whole pso life and any other online rpg range characters are always my mains. In pso i did have a lv167 hucast and 141hunewearl but my ramarl was my main lv178 on xbox pso. In WoW i was a hunter and many other games my main was range i just wanted to be melee this time around. In beta i did try ranger and it was cool there like status effecting machines people use to love me because i basically freezed everything i had a wanna be frozen shooter lol.

Sabbz
Oct 30, 2006, 12:41 AM
i would be a ranger but games not out over here yet

turtle323
Oct 30, 2006, 01:31 AM
I am a cast ranger and dam do i own, yup my greseguns own. ALso my blaster with lvl 9 plasma, and when gun isnt the best i switch to my dagger and just pwn.