PDA

View Full Version : Point of guns?

Shanira
Oct 29, 2006, 12:22 PM
I don't get guns. Now my characters are all hunters so that probably doesn't help. It's just, they last one fight PP wise and then poof. No more guns. And unless it's a weapon/gun combo you either have to stand by uselessly as they ever so slowly regenerate.

Am I just missing something, or do gun users just eat photon rechargers like candy?

Kura-X
Oct 29, 2006, 12:33 PM
you could say the same about wands. soloing an area where im about the same level as the enemies usually leaves me with having to carry three wands to alternate between. They're all Yohmei wands too.

Shanira
Oct 29, 2006, 12:39 PM
Well the reason I'm asking is because when I hit expert I'm going figunner (because stupid dumb fortefighter doesn't get S-class daggers http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif ) and I'll probably be using guns more than now. I've tried carrying multiple guns but that only delays the inevitable for a couple of fights. Meanwhile because I get annoyed with my guns always being empty ("stupid useless guns! *throws at giant creature*") I use them less and I don't really gain in skill with their attached PA, which makes me even less inclined to use them.

I'm sure wands are the same, but I've not used any so I don't know about them. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif While a CAST force would be funny I don't think it's something you'd want to seriously look into. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

AC9breaker
Oct 29, 2006, 12:40 PM
You're obviously using the wrong guns then. Guns just like melee weapons are situational. You need the right gun at the right moment to handle the right kind of mobs. Just like with melee weapons, you're eventually going to switch becuase you're either running out of PP, or you need more power/speed/defensive attacks for the situation

Guilty-Mirage
Oct 29, 2006, 01:08 PM
Grind your weapons to +4 at least, preferrably +5 or so if you can get a good enough grinder to guarantee "very high" success rates.

Carry three guns (one being a pistol / melee combo) as a ranger. Carry at least one pistol / melee combo as a hunter. If you do this, you shouldn't ever run out of PP as a ranger... and as a hunter, you shouldn't need more than a handgun's full PP stock before you can switch back to melee again.

Use bullet Photon Arts. No excuses. Use them to manipulate enemy elemental weaknesses to pack a lot more punch per shot. I'll say it again. If you aren't using bullet PAs, you're missing out on a big portion of guns. Even a level 10 bullet will increase damage to about 140%, only decreases accuracy to like 70% (not as big a deal as it sounds, it really isn't), and inflict status effects. Stacked with grinding (did I mention how important and necessary grinding is?), this really boosts gun damage.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Guilty-Mirage on 2006-10-29 10:12 ]</font>

Carlo210
Oct 29, 2006, 01:15 PM
I don't see how you can make it through a whole level with three guns as a ranger. You'll need more.

Silver_Wyrm
Oct 29, 2006, 01:18 PM
currently four guns keeps me going through any level, though I still plan on more

Diablohead
Oct 29, 2006, 01:21 PM
"support" , they give much better status effect then swords can ever do.

Learn to use them.

Carlo210
Oct 29, 2006, 01:22 PM
Too bad they suck up pp. ;; Very worth it, though.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Carlo210 on 2006-10-29 10:22 ]</font>

AC9breaker
Oct 29, 2006, 01:23 PM
On 2006-10-29 10:15, Carlo210 wrote:
I don't see how you can make it through a whole level with three guns as a ranger. You'll need more.

I solo'd the Overlord mission at level 14 with Shotgun, Dual Pistols, Rifle and spear just fine. Didn't have to go back to town once. Once Moatoab is unlocked I'm eventually gonna start carrying a saber and machinegun combo, then PP problems won't even be a problem.

Frog
Oct 29, 2006, 01:23 PM
Not sure about PSU, but in PSO guns were great for taking down annoying arial creatures and traps.

Are there PSO like traps in PSU? I did not see any when playing the beta.

Diablohead
Oct 29, 2006, 01:28 PM
Single player has some im told but no idea about online yet. theres lots of flying enemies though.

AC9breaker
Oct 29, 2006, 01:30 PM
I believe in the harder missions that have yet to be unlocked, there are stage traps. Someone posted a screenshot of one of them from the JP version.

http://img125.imageshack.us/img125/7114/psu229au0.jpg

Carlo210
Oct 29, 2006, 01:32 PM
In the mines (chapter 6) there are traps that blow up.

Shiro_Ryuu
Oct 29, 2006, 02:30 PM
thats the reason why I kinda gave up on the idea of two-handed guns and am only sticking to the gun + sword combo if I ever decide to use a gun. with two-handed melees, at least I still have an option of fighting back. too bad you can't like smack enemies with your guns or canes or whatever, if even for dirt damage, at least you can defend yourself.

tyler2zelda
Oct 29, 2006, 02:35 PM
AIM FOR ZE HEAD XD

Seriously, my friend likes going 1st person shooting and he always aims for the head, and it seems like he hits 10% more criticals doing it..

Guilty-Mirage
Oct 29, 2006, 03:32 PM

Unless you're fighting some ridiculous junk over your level... or stages like the Temple of Fanatics where the cyber-crabs spawn over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over at times... yes, three guns is most assuredly enough to get me through nearly any level. They do recover PP on their own while equipped, you know?

Stick with one gun at a time. Use it until it's out of PP, then switch to another. Don't do the lazy thing and just swap from one gun to another because you have different PAs in each one. Learn how to hot swap bullets on the fly. It's a handy skill for some fights anyway, particularly when you're down to your last gun. Anyway, this way all the "ammo drain" remains on one weapon at a time, which means you won't have other guns sitting around unequipped, partially drained, not recovering PP.

Three guns should be enough for most.

If you're having issues, start using grinders (intelligently) and level your bullets.