PDA

View Full Version : PSO vs PSU

dangosan
Oct 29, 2006, 07:24 PM
Hello all,

First post, so don't gnaw my head off. =)

I'm an old veteran PSO player and have been out of the scene after Version 2. I've read alot about the major changes in PSU and it sounds pretty darn neat... however, I haven't read a comprehensive comparison of PSO vs PSU; all the big videgame websites (i.e. IGN, Gamespot, etc.,) previews of PSU have been pretty lackluster so wondering if there's a good preview coming from the mindset of an old grizzled PSO'er? Lastly, if anyone can do a quick bullet comparison to compare the following for PSO vs PSU:

- Overall gameplay
- CPU AI enemies
- items/weapons
- Online play experience

Picking up my copy on Monday for PC... see you guys online soon!

Thanks

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dangosan on 2006-10-29 16:26 ]</font>

Garnet_Moon
Oct 29, 2006, 07:28 PM
No preview but here's a start:

PRO:

PSO: Did not have Shagreece.

CON:

PSU: Does have Shagreece.

They are evil. VERY evil.

pkazama
Oct 29, 2006, 07:35 PM
what's shagreece?

dangosan
Oct 29, 2006, 07:36 PM
Shagreeth

Alignment: Fire
Description: A minature dragon that likes to hover over its opponents and attack with gliding attacks. Also has the ability to breath fire. Ranged weapons, such as handguns, are needed to bring down the Shagreeth.

oh, this sounds pleasant =P

Derieke
Oct 29, 2006, 07:46 PM
There not as bad as those little wrorms that pop out of the ground in ohtoku city.

Garnet_Moon
Oct 29, 2006, 07:47 PM
On 2006-10-29 16:46, Derieke wrote:
There not as bad as those little wrorms that pop out of the ground in ohtoku city.

I'd like to pretend Neudaiz doesn't exist...

Derieke
Oct 29, 2006, 07:53 PM
Yeah I hate that place...

GreenArcher
Oct 29, 2006, 08:12 PM
Well, I think the overall gameplay is much better. But, if you're like most people, and are serverely addicted to the game, you will get bored with the lack of content farely quick. We'll see more into this as updates are released. There is much more flexibility in this game. There are 8 character classes, and 10 job classes.

The AI is much more intelligent this time, no more can you stand in front of an enemy with your rifle and L-L-H, L-L-H, L-L-H untouched until it dies.

Items/Weapons system is ALOT more sophisticated. There is a whole crafting system now, I'm sure you've read much about this.

The online play experience is excellent. Much more emphasis is put on teamwork and survival. You're rewards for a mission a severely hindered by a death. The game is much more challenging than PSO. Also, the population is enormous, and most of the people are really nice http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

BlaktoothGrin
Oct 29, 2006, 08:15 PM
ya i thought the little fawkers that jumped around were annoying untill i went up against those fucking worms..

A-P
Oct 29, 2006, 08:21 PM
I agree, Shagreece suck. Big time. That being said, here's my general review of the game (I'm only level 11 as of now, so my word isn't law or anything):

- Overall gameplay

Fun, a lot of new tweaks here and there and the new battle system adds for a lot of fun. All the leveling and fighting is done via quests so that can bother some (myself included) but you should enjoy it. There are rankings at the end of each mission which basically dictate "don't die and kill everything," so it's common sense. The better your grade, the more money and mission points you'll obtain. First person views for guns are great if you can get away from the fray long enough to use it, though I find strafing to be the better tactic. Again, fun overall and not overly challenging. Warning: spend meseta wisely, it's finally worth something. Forgot to mention this, but the player shop feature is both awesome and another way to keep meseta as an important part of the game (here's hoping).

- CPU AI enemies

Not the smartest tools in the shed, to say the least. Learn their attack patterns and it's cake. It does seem like a significant upgrade from PSO, but nothing you can't handle on any given day.

- items/weapons

Okay, this sucks. Finding a saber is like finding a Sealed J-Sword sometimes, it just doesn't happen. You find synthesis materials and meseta most of the time with some healing items popping up fairily often. For the most part, meseta is your secondary objective beyond leveling, maybe even primary. Focus on not being a total jerk and grabbing everything though. Some bad news is, it's a war for items as everyone grabs what they can before the game registers the graphic for it, so you kinda have to be a jerk when you're new. Regardless, leave stuff for others and you probably won't be ditched or anything.

- Online play experience

Again, item war. There are a lot of people online, and they don't seem to mind babysitting too much so long as you know what you're doing (maybe I just got all the right parties?). You can go to Parum at level 4 if you find a big party and try not to get mauled, but don't be too nooby or you're dead. Neudaiz is similar in that aspect, I was there at level 9 and I did alright, albeit behind a level 17 and a level 20. Other than that, be patient with Parum. You will be in missions and then some level 15-25s show up and kill everything without really letting you get exp (they are trying to advance to the next area in record speeds, it would seem). People are pretty cool though, you don't get many pricks (unless you're playing with me, in which case stay on my good side).

Most this was on universe 01 though, I only found out about the PSOW universe (15) a while ago. It's better there I think, but not as many people.

Hope that helps and I hope to see you soon!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: A-P on 2006-10-29 17:23 ]</font>

dangosan
Oct 29, 2006, 08:24 PM
thanks all for replying.

Thanks for the insight, Greenarcher... it seems that the biggest complaint that people seem to have is the "lack of content"... but reading through the crafting/synthesis feature, I find that really hard to believe. It seems like there's a TON of weapon and item creation but no one seems to really be taking advantage of it from what I'm reading.

Oh, and one last thing I'd like to get some answers... I read that rangers can strafe and even shoot while running... is this true? How is this done?

A-P, thanks... "item-whores" as I like to call them have always been a problem in PSO, so no surprise there. I do like the fact that games have 3 options to dictate how drops are distributed.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dangosan on 2006-10-29 17:28 ]</font>

A-P
Oct 29, 2006, 08:28 PM
On 2006-10-29 17:24, dangosan wrote:

Oh, and one last thing I'd like to get some answers... I read that rangers can strafe and even shoot while running... is this true?

I thought I addressed that, but... BIG TIME. Hunters too, with a pistol. It's fun AND helpful, a Phantasy Star first!

Lima_Beans
Oct 29, 2006, 09:24 PM
PSO came with a LOT more multiplayer content than is in PSU has right now. You can finish all of whats in multiplayer PSU on your first few hours of playing the game the day you buy it, kind of dissapointing =(

But, it sounds like they will be unlocking more content every two weeks, so that should change.

The interface is a lot better now though, and as a force its a lot easier to use a wider variety of spells.

Pengfishh
Oct 29, 2006, 10:00 PM
Neudaiz is awesome and the worms take some skill to handle but are not hard at all. You can see where they are on the minimap!

AnnabellaRenee87
Nov 1, 2006, 05:11 AM
like the tital says i just want to hear some rants i hear some pritty heated rants on the game from party members.

well have at it

ohh and would ya pay a doller more ($1) a month for the xbox PSO to be added to the compatability list and be able to update it to blue burst? i would http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Ryogen
Nov 1, 2006, 05:15 AM
http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=124245&forum=20
http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=105116&forum=20

You kinda been beaten to it. Well I got nothing "heated" to say. I love both games. I'm starting to like PM's even though I still call them Mags at times. That's about it.

Evolution
Nov 1, 2006, 06:59 AM
I've been playing PSO since the dreamcast days and to be honest I was getting a little bored of pso, I actually canceled my xbox hunters license quite a while back, having said that a few of my friends were on PSO:BB and I did hear some pretty cool things about it.

A while back there was a rumor that pso:BB was going to hit xbox live arcade as a free download without monthly fees but I guess that was false, I'd definatly play PSO:BB though if it were avaliable on the 360, although I doubt I'd pay for it since I'm already paying for PSU.

PSO has been good to me, I spent a lot of time on that game, right now I'd say that I'd take PSU over PSO but that might be because its all new and exciting right now.

Tystys
Nov 1, 2006, 07:48 AM
On 2006-10-29 19:00, Pengfishh wrote:
Neudaiz is awesome and the worms take some skill to handle but are not hard at all. You can see where they are on the minimap!

Those worms are still bitches.

I've found freeze shot works pretty well on them. Considering their elements change alot(from what I've seen) it may not freeze them all the time.

EDIT:

Scratch that, they're fire based.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tystys on 2006-11-01 04:49 ]</font>

Shadow__
Nov 2, 2006, 07:45 AM
I apologise for this post but... Is PSU extra mode like PSO's offline mode?

Is it a never ending quest, can I run through the unlocked levels as often as I like whilst leveling up?

MilkManX
Nov 2, 2006, 09:51 AM
So far I noticed no SLICER weapons in PSU. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Callous
Nov 2, 2006, 10:12 AM
On 2006-11-02 04:45, Shadow__ wrote:
Is it a never ending quest, can I run through the unlocked levels as often as I like whilst leveling up?

Aye.

If they made BB on consoles, I might play that more than PSU, but maybe I'm just in an adjustment phase.